Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Compromise: give NASA’s budget to the new Department of the Space Force and watch as Congress votes it massive budget increases so we can build a mars base to point missiles at Moscow and Pyongyang. The homeless can then be deported to serve as farmers and labourers in the Mars biodomes to support the troops there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
If Trump actually follows through with the Space Force that would 1 good thing he did.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Americans were the first to walk on the moon and we'll be the first to commit a war crime there too.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Organic food is a load of designer bollocks designed to separate rich idiots from more money. 25quid for a fuckin chicken? Blow me.

Gimme me battery farmed 10 euro per kilo chicken breast. Treat those fuckin chickens like they treat Mexican babies in America idgaf

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Same with the non-GMO fad. People need to stop trying to make a point with their food choices. Just eat it and let that be the end of it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Organic food is bad and so is factory farming.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I only eat gluten-free chicken

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
oh hey i get to again say that SOYLENT IS RAT POISON

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I keep asking for product free cruelty but no store ever seems to have it.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I keep asking for product free cruelty but no store ever seems to have it.

If you sign up to my subscription service, I'll send you a box of random cruelty every week.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Doctor Spaceman posted:

NASA's budget is about 20B / year. You could eliminate homelessness in America for that kind of money, but like a lot of problems the issue is with political ideology and not available resources.

Personally Held Unpopular Opinion: Winter Soldier is the worst of the Captain America movies.

I’d rather take it from the Pentagon tbh

Also you’re insane with that second opinion

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Does anyone remember that conservative chain email about forcing the poor and homeless to work for free in miltary-style barracks accomodations, instead of welfare? Basically round them up and make work camps. I vividly remember it had the phrase “all the powdered milk and rice you can haul away” as a food stamp replacement.

I think that minus the punitory measures might be a good idea if it was affordable. Dorm style govt accomodations with basic amentities like a tv, and the human dignity of having a dedicated bed in a room where you can put up a loving poster and store your stuff and have a small space that is truly yours instead of bouncing around shelters. Part time, minimum wage or even below minimum wage jobs since they’re getting room and board, on and off site. Try to match people to competencies. Strong young person can get some experience holding the stop/go sign on for a road work crew and maybe graduate to learning the trade, disabled mom can help in the on-site daycare. House families together, and singles in age and gender appropriate dorms. Cleaning and cooking crews are staffed partially by residents. Kids get free bussing to and from school or daycare if they’re too young. Residents get enough spending money from their part time work to at least have a modicum of amenity in their life, like a four-person dorm can grab an old xbox and some games for the room. Try to strike agreements to get local business to interview residents in relevant low skill jobs. A dedicated contact number so those who can’t afford cell phones have someone taking messages and relaying them so they have a way to set up job interviews. Communal internet in computer labs on sites.

Basically the goal is to provide stability, safety, and human dignity, and some work experience that can hopefully translate into getting back on your feet.

Where would we get the money or political capital? Respectively, the military and idfk.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

MizPiz posted:

If you sign up to my subscription service, I'll send you a box of random cruelty every week.

What's in the box!?

Pretty much nobody is willing to accept when they are wrong and change their beliefs accordingly. They'd rather continue to believe their false reality regardless of facts or reasoning.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Move to universal health care and use the money saved by doing that to put the homeless into homes.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Does anyone remember that conservative chain email about forcing the poor and homeless to work for free in miltary-style barracks accomodations, instead of welfare? Basically round them up and make work camps. I vividly remember it had the phrase “all the powdered milk and rice you can haul away” as a food stamp replacement.

I think that minus the punitory measures might be a good idea if it was affordable. Dorm style govt accomodations with basic amentities like a tv, and the human dignity of having a dedicated bed in a room where you can put up a loving poster and store your stuff and have a small space that is truly yours instead of bouncing around shelters

ideas like that do get floated around from time to time, and charitable organizations have run trials on them: you'll be happy to know they work

the neat thing is even if you can't get the homeless person to work a job for room and board solutions like that are still cheaper on a social level in the long term than allowing someone to chronically live on the streets for years on end where they're likely to acquire, for example, health problems that society ultimately still pays for through outreaches at medical clinics and the like or through other interest groups - i'm sure there are also homeless people who would benefit from communal housing and communal routine since they may not be mentally equipped to live more independently/be responsible for themselves but do well given guidance - anyway these programs have been also trialed alongside voluntary mental counseling that have also produced tangible positive results in the people brought in

the problem is tho these solutions are cheaper on society, the costs are bared unequally: it's usually a single organization spending millions on their own by buying property/land that'll become a homeless accommodation, building/organizing the actual structures, ensuring the regular delivery of foods and medical supplies to these sites, paying for counselors out of their own pockets, paying for TVs and cable for each unit, etc etc etc and that makes their independent prospects of sustainability pretty dire - contrast that to homeless people living on the street who survive on the goodwill of numerous charitable organizations, religious communities, independent donators, government facilities, etc, which together bare the costs in such a way that no one group has to foot an exorbitant bill and everyone is still volunteering a contribution that they are comfortable with giving

the real trick is hammering out the logistics

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

Move to universal health care and use the money saved by doing that to put the homeless into homes.

nah. that works in a country with less people like canada (36.95 million people as of 2017), but in a country of america's size (325.7 million as of 2017) the cost of it would be outrageously expensive and end up ruining the healthcare system entirely.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The healthcare system probably needs to be burned down before we can fix it. Destroy Aetna, Blue Cross, etc.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

nah. that works in a country with less people like canada (36.95 million people as of 2017), but in a country of america's size (325.7 million as of 2017) the cost of it would be outrageously expensive and end up ruining the healthcare system entirely.

This is entirely false. Universal healthcare is cheaper regardless of the size of the country.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

This is entirely false. Universal healthcare is cheaper regardless of the size of the country.

hahahahahahahahahaha

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

spit on my clit posted:

hahahahahahahahahaha

Psst you’re retarded

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Mu Zeta posted:

The healthcare system probably needs to be burned down before we can fix it. Destroy Aetna, Blue Cross, etc.

prob right, or at least undergo an agonizingly slow period of reform with a lot of movement for little gain at each step of the way imuo

i used to think you could pin down the extra cost expenditures on a single entity/phenomena like the heightened medical litigation culture in america causing downstream effects, or the greed of insurance companies, or having to offload overburdened medical r&d costs somewhere else, etc etc etc but as i get older and i see the numbers involved it seems like each factor is generally only contributing a relatively small incremental cost to the overall process and it's more like every little step of the healthcare system is being nickel and dime'd until the final sum of all this pecking is nearly astronomical - going after individual factors is going to be unpopular and produce little gain for a while so it seems to me like it's going to take one hell of policy maker to get things rolling ahead in a satisfying way

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Seriously though, it would absolutely be cheaper than the current system just by cutting out the middleman part of the industry that exists to jack up prices.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
mass market paperback is the ideal book size. all fiction books should be published in that size.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

fruit on the bottom posted:

I’d rather take it from the Pentagon tbh

Also you’re insane with that second opinion

Same (for the first one).

The problem with Winter Soldier is that the third act is really overblown. You can turn it off after the freeway fight because you've seen all of the good bits. The first Captain America movie has a similar problem but the 40s setting is more interesting.

And the comparisons to 70s paranoid thrillers really miss the mark. In those films the breakdown in society's trust of institutions is thematically linked to a breakdown in interpersonal trust between the characters. Characters trust and distrust the wrong people and suffer for it. Except in Winter Soldier that doesn't happen. Cap doesn't get a chance to react to what Pierce says because Pierce tries to kill him immediately after they meet. Fury is suspicious for maybe a scene or two, then it is quickly resolved.

It's not a bad film, and I can easily think of a half a dozen scenes I like. It's just the worst of the three.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

mass market paperback is the ideal book size. all fiction books should be published in that size.

Oof. You know you're in the budget space marines when your chapter librarian wields a paperback on a stick.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caufman posted:

Oof. You know you're in the budget space marines when your chapter librarian wields a paperback on a stick.

The holy texts carried by Librarians into battle are not fiction, heretic

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
best thing in 40k in twenty years is guilliman waking up and being like 'holy poo poo you guys got it all backwards'

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What are economies of scale? What’s per capita? Btw I got a 97% in econ 1301

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

hard counter posted:

the problem is tho these solutions are cheaper on society, the costs are bared unequally
That's only assuming it's not the government doing it.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

The holy texts carried by Librarians into battle are not fiction, heretic

My budget space marines make do with donated copies of My Little Emperor Knowledge is Power

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spit on my clit posted:

The US spends about double per capita on their current, lovely system compared to Canada so get hosed.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The biggest mistake Family Matters ever made (after continuing the show with fake Harriet) was having Laura end up marrying Steve. They should have kept it like Hilary/Jazz's "romance" in fresh prince of belair like it was for several seasons where they both recognize it would probably never work out long-term. Them ending up married together is nothing but an incel-esque fantasy and probably contributed at least partially to the idea that if you obsess over a woman long and hard enough they are eventually obligated to marry you. She should have chosen Stefan.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you're under 40 and never been to sea and you have any kind of tattoos you're either insanely petit bougeoisie or a nazi.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

If you're under 40 and never been to sea and you have any kind of tattoos you're either insanely petit bougeoisie or a nazi.

i'm sorry my friend but....what???

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

That is hella specific

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
black guy who got a prison tat at 20 whle doing time for weed: nazi bouge

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Thank God I worked on a cruise ship once. Totally makes my Hello Kitty tattoo I got from a guy named Robbie-Lee not nazi bouge!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's 2018, tattoos are completely normal. There hasn't been any kinda widespread societal disapproval of tattoos in a long time. If you have a problem with tattoos, you're a weirdo

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's 2018, tattoos are completely normal. There hasn't been any kinda widespread societal disapproval of tattoos in a long time. If you have a problem with tattoos, you're a weirdo

Growing up in my social circle a tattoo would have gotten you ostracized and the priest would probably cross himself every time he walked by you.

I'm not against tattoos personally, I just don't care enough about anything to put it permanently on my body. The only thing I've even considered was the "sigul" of the crimson king from the dark tower because I've read that so many times but that's way too embarrassing to explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Face and neck tats are still a pretty surefire sign to steer clear.