Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Stab posted:

The fact that modo isn't free to play is really weird. It's a needless barrier to entry. They wouldn't need to change anything about the game.

The reason for this is that for many years they didn't have the infrastructure to support the number of players they'd get if it were free to play. No joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

odiv posted:

Isn't some amount of drafting straight up free in Eternal though?

In the same way that it's free in Hearthstone, yeah (but you keep what you draft in Eternal).

If you're diligent about your daily quests, you could afford a free draft every few days, easy.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Constructed wise - No modern / legacy / vintage support initially. Only standard going forward as of right now. Sad face

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The reason for this is that for many years they didn't have the infrastructure to support the number of players they'd get if it were free to play. No joke.

mtgo predates the explosion of free to play models by nearly a decade

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Marketing New Brain posted:

Standard cards are stable due to redemption, not to mention premiere and ptq and whatever else. Cube is the most popular draft format. A new comprehensive rules engine is perhaps laying the groundwork to eventually replace mtgo, but that is a long way away. I'm certainly not heavily invested in mtgo, and I never would be, but I wouldn't panic. It could actually increase interest in mtgo if it becomes popular enough, who knows, it's still in alpha or beta right?

Standard cards being stable due to redemption is a core issue. The less people playing standard on mtgo, the harder the redemption system has. They have already dialed back redemption heavily. What happens when/if Arena takes a huge bite out of that player base?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Dehtraen posted:

Constructed wise - No modern / legacy / vintage support initially. Only standard going forward as of right now. Sad face
I think focusing on the two most popular formats is a good move. It's also way easier to implement. So far all the decisions surrounding it seem good. Hopefully the final business model isn't poo poo.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Yup, no trading, daily grinding.

Will be very surprised if it's appreciably cheaper than drafting in MTGO.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Hellsau posted:

Splitting Standard stuff into Arena and everything else into MTGO sounds like a drat catastrophe incoming unless they're going to cut the price of new set drafts on MTGO. If they're going to keep MTGO alive and aren't going to put every card into Arena at once, MTGO will stay alive just from Pauper/Vintage/Legacy/Modern players, but when they print something like Fatal Push into a new set, if all of the casual players are drafting over in Arena, any new staple cards are going to be extremely overpriced.

This will get old very quick just like every other Hearthstone-esque game unless there will be prize support or the other formats/letting people bring their collections to Arena.

Standard will still be available in MTGO and the prizes can be converted to actual cash so.....idk.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

It's mtgo. They've milked the mtgo market for legacy cards, what else does it have for big cash infusions? It's not going to last without drafters unless phantom cubes are huge money or something.

Reminder that the original plan was to have duels be the intro product, arena for middle tier and mtgo for very serious players. Look at how long that lasted.

MTGO can't be fixed, ever. It will be phased out if Arena takes off, but it'll take years - they can't afford to piss off people who have all their money tied into MTGO. They're going to kill it by making a better product and letting MTGO destroy itself; if it's not Arena, it'll be something else in a few years once they abandon Arena. Arena looks like they're making all the right decisions. They just said something about a timer that sort of tracks how long you take and adds more time if you need it by some kind of algorithm. Full control mode for all priority passes is fantastic. Aside from tapping, it's very clear what's going on, making it very good for streamers and stream watchers. Duels was a huge mistake from the get-go because it didn't appeal to anyone and was clunky as hell.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

Just this product being able to draft in standard is enough to make this the loving death knell to mtgo. Without drafting new cards entering the system will dwindle.

You literally can't trade in this. It's not the death bell for MODO.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Gotchas are way worse than cheaty face for gameplay.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Yuzenn posted:

This will get old very quick just like every other Hearthstone-esque game unless there will be prize support or the other formats/letting people bring their collections to Arena.

Standard will still be available in MTGO and the prizes can be converted to actual cash so.....idk.

I think that your collection not being worth thousands of dollars is a plus for arena, not the other way around.

Angry Grimace posted:

You can't trade in hearthstone either. :iiam:

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

Assembling a Standard 75 without trading or a secondary market :capitalism:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

Not trading doesn't matter. As long as the F2P model isn't total garbage it's going to be really bad for MTGO.

Zenephant posted:

Assembling a Standard 75 without trading or a secondary market :capitalism:
Shockingly people do this in Hearthstone, Eternal, shadowverse and all of the other Digital CCGs all the time without trouble.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

My biggest concern is if they start designing cards with the online game in mind and not including cool mechanics if they struggle to work in the online game, or introducing hokey mechanics that play well online but play clunky with a physical deck.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
What are the odds you actually draft against 7 other people instead of Eternal's nonsense system?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
No trading is the single best decision they could possibly make

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Alaan posted:

Gotchas are way worse than cheaty face for gameplay.

Counterpoint, Stop That should be legal in every format at all times.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

If playing online doesn't cost almost as much as it does in paper, does that mean its easier to play both? Could that be a goal they are moving towards?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

AceClown posted:

My biggest concern is if they start designing cards with the online game in mind and not including cool mechanics if they struggle to work in the online game,

MaRo's said that this already has happened several times with MTGO. I doubt it'll be any different with Arena or whatever.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

No trading and no redemption is very good. It means that they can make the game in the way that is most fun for itself, and not have to worry about managing their economy. You can do things like give players daily rewards, or free drafts, or bonus packs.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 7, 2017

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AceClown posted:

Modo pricing is completely crippled by set redemption, it's the reason it costs you as much to draft on Modo as it does in the real world. That and the fact that people will pay the ludicrous prices anyway

this isnt entirely accurate, set redemption was the initial excuse to make everything full price under the premise of "technically a modo card exists as a real card that you can redeem!" which was done under the assumption that players would rarely actually be able to do so. and that was true for a long time. then retailers figured out how much cheaper they could stock singles via modo bots and set redemption, then wotc eventually made a lot of changes to make it more expensive to redeem sets and vastly shortening the window in which you could do so.

modo is loving expensive because wotc found a way to charge full price for digital cards and it's really no more complex than that.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

They should loving discontinue Maro or at least write in to his contract he's never allowed on camera ever again

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

If playing online doesn't cost almost as much as it does in paper, does that mean its easier to play both? Could that be a goal they are moving towards?

This is what I'm hoping for, if I can draft for 5 bucks at home, whenever, then I'm fine with only playing modern irl, which is what I do anyway.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

"you can't trade in hearthstone" a game in which decks are 30 cards and you can't have more than one copy of the cards that are functionally equivalent to mythics. i cant speak to the other card games for how well they work and what the deck building constraints are.

how hard it is to put together four copies of a chase mythic is a pretty reasonable concern if there's no trading. the problem is i trust wotc as far as i can throw a refrigerator as to how generous they're going to be.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Did they say anything about it being multi-platform with saves/accounts working across all platforms?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lawnie posted:

This is what I'm hoping for, if I can draft for 5 bucks at home, whenever, then I'm fine with only playing modern irl, which is what I do anyway.

a draft costing five bucks in this would be outrageous imo

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

DariusLikewise posted:

Did they say anything about it being multi-platform with saves/accounts working across all platforms?

It is PC only initially. They want to know what platforms it should go to so they want player feedback. Game is made in Unity, I believe.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Drafting on MTGO only costs about 6-10 bucks anyway, since all of your pulls and prizes can be easily converted into more TIX for another draft.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

rabidsquid posted:

"you can't trade in hearthstone" a game in which decks are 30 cards and you can't have more than one copy of the cards that are functionally equivalent to mythics. i cant speak to the other card games for how well they work and what the deck building constraints are.

how hard it is to put together four copies of a chase mythic is a pretty reasonable concern if there's no trading. the problem is i trust wotc as far as i can throw a refrigerator as to how generous they're going to be.

Does this game have card destruction/crafting like in Hearthstone and Eternal or do you have to open everything from boosters?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mossyfisk posted:

Drafting on MTGO only costs about 6 bucks anyway, since all of your pulls and prizes can be easily converted into more TIX for another draft.

It "only" costs 6 bucks. Stockholm syndrome is a bitch.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Neito posted:

MaRo's said that this already has happened several times with MTGO. I doubt it'll be any different with Arena or whatever.

If anything a newly built rules engine ought to be far easier to code new mechanics into than MTGO's 15 year old spaghetti code rules engine that's held together with duct tape and prayers.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Dehtraen posted:

It is PC only initially. They want to know what platforms it should go to so they want player feedback. Game is made in Unity, I believe.

Balls, I won't invest deeply until I know I can have the same game synced between my phone and my pc

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Sickening posted:

It "only" costs 6 bucks. Stockholm syndrome is a bitch.

Sure, I meant in comparison to how costing 5 in Arena would be some incredible cost saving.

All I ever wanted was a $2.50 or $3 phantom swiss draft on MTGO.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dehtraen posted:

They want to know what platforms it should go to so they want player feedback.

What is that supposed to mean?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Sickening posted:

Lawnie posted:

The goal has to be smaller, cheaper drafts that are, like leagues or Hearthstone arena matches, play as you go. A few bucks at a time again and again has been shown to be much more effective than the ~12 dollar a draft system that practically discourages frequent drafting.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

If this game is built correctly, you use free to play currency to buy drafts.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rinkles posted:

based on my preexisting knowledge of wotc and gamers it means that wotc doesnt want to spend the money to develop it for mobile until they know how successful its going to be, and that gamers will be saying this is the perfect game to be ported to the nintendo switch

Lone Goat posted:

Does this game have card destruction/crafting like in Hearthstone and Eternal or do you have to open everything from boosters?

i hope so!

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Rinkles posted:

"Is there anyway we can avoid paying to port this to Mac or iOS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm fully expecting the cost of attaining cards to be way too high upon release, then lower based on complaints. I'm sure they expect the same, which is why trading isn't a thing.