Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Nids being good for the first time since Nidzilla was briefly viable in 4th will be a sight to see.

Vanilla marines being relatively poor without Guilliman is also tremendously amusing to me. You can definitely see the difference between the codexes that were mostly written before 8th launched and those that were created after they'd seen how the game is working out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Having pretty much all of your army where you want on the table turn 1 is going to be incredible, as the entire struggle for Tyranid up to this point has been dying in droves trying to make it across the table. Granted, the bugs have always been good for "cinematic" desperate fights, but cutting out the middle man and just getting to munchin' on skulls sounds really great. Extended advances, double-moves--pretty much all the stratagems seem flavorful and useful to the point that you'll have to spend conservatively if you're going to want CP left for turn 3+.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah I've pretty much resigned my marines to being a low-tier casual game only army if I don't want to play with guilliman. So I build fun lists instead of lists to win with because I can't actually compete against competitively built armies. So I still sometimes throw out assault marines in rhinos and mass vanguard and poo poo like that. I've got enough DG now though that I think I can give those a shot. Most of the competitive players here lean entirely on composition, it doesn't really take much skill to sit in your deployment zone with a bunch of russes and basilisks and shoot until you win. It's just an army that works on autopilot, rolling dice and seeing what dies. At least when I lose to tyranids they have to come to me and figure out the best way to assault into my dudes. And I usually win vs nidzilla these days, genestealer hordes still kick my rear end. Seems like that'll get harder for me with their codex.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 31, 2017

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Yeah I've pretty much resigned my marines to being a low-tier casual game only army if I don't want to play with guilliman. So I build fun lists instead of lists to win with because I can't actually compete against competitively built armies. So I still sometimes throw out assault marines in rhinos and mass vanguard and poo poo like that. I've got enough DG now though that I think I can give those a shot. Most of the competitive players here lean entirely on composition, it doesn't really take much skill to sit in your deployment zone with a bunch of russes and basilisks and shoot until you win. It's just an army that works on autopilot, rolling dice and seeing what dies. At least when I lose to tyranids they have to come to me and figure out the best way to assault into my dudes. And I usually win vs nidzilla these days, genestealer hordes still kick my rear end. Seems like that'll get harder for me with their codex.

Maybe some heavy bolters would help.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Well, marines being what they are we can be certain there will be a buff at some point in the future. I'm really curious to see what that ends up being though as a lot of what makes higher model count armies so strong is fundamental to the ruleset in 8th. We'll also obviously need to see a nerf for Guilliman simply because he alone turns the army from something fairly mediocre into a damage dealing monster that wins tournaments.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What does the 2 mean

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Was there a chutche1

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

ijyt posted:

Was there a chutche1

We don't speak of cutche1

not after The Incident

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

We don't speak of cutche1

not after The Incident

Well it was more like a cupola incidents

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

xtothez posted:

:golfclap:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

xtothez posted:

Nice.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Chutche2 is 13.3333% more efficient against gaunts than Chutche1 and here is thirty posts expounding on that.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Hive fleets detailed:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/31/codex-tyranids-preview-hive-fleet-adaptations-oct-31gw-homepage-post-2/

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Munchables: Just play Grey Knights. They look awesome and are extremely uncommon! Marines is always the correct answer for first army but they are close enough.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Munchables: Just play Grey Knights. They look awesome and are extremely uncommon! Marines is always the correct answer for first army but they are close enough.

I disagree, honestly. Grey Knights tend to be a lot more elite than most marine armies and as a result are quite a bit harder to play effectively in 8th. They're also pretty lacking in long rang firepower which is sort of a big deal at the moment. I'm not saying they aren't a viable army -they actually have some pretty neat builds- I'm just saying they aren't the best option for a newer player.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I really don't want a new army, but Hive Fleet Kronos might be cool. What's their paint scheme?

edit: Oh crap, it's the classic blue/purple. That's awful tempting.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Alright, the "bounding leap" aspect of Kraken makes them a bit better than I initially thought. Falling back out of combat and charging has its uses, but most enemy units are probably going to fall back themselves on their turn to shoot bugs so I don't see it being as useful. Moderating advancement failures is definitely nice.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

The vast majority of firepower is single damage though. Unless you're fighting some specific plasma spam list vs an imperium opponent you're not actually going to see that much. Tau plasma as an example is 1 damage. And I have literally never seen a grav weapon used in 8th edition.

Hell, look at eldar. Basically the only multiple damaged ranged weapon with AP and >1 shot in their arsenal are fire prisms. Against all their infantry weapons primaris is going to be twice as effective. Or I guess they can drop a bunch of fire dragons on you but that seems like a waste of resources.

The main place that primaris suffer is vs Guard, but not because of autocannons, because of basilisks and battle cannons. But to be honest those are so cheap and effective that tactical marines are pointless to bring against them too.

From a few pages back, but just thought i'd chime in that i use Heavy Grav Cannons on my Kataphrons exclusively. I have never given them the plasma culverins, and I very much enjoy the Marine Tears - Stumpy and Primaris alike.

A few local AdMech players I know also use Heavy Grav.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

From a few pages back, but just thought i'd chime in that i use Heavy Grav Cannons on my Kataphrons exclusively. I have never given them the plasma culverins, and I very much enjoy the Marine Tears - Stumpy and Primaris alike.

I'm a little surprised to see so little grav these days. I guess resolving the wounds on multi-wound models would be sort of a pain but it's not like that has ever stopped people from using stuff before. Wounding most vehicles on 5's and dealing d3 damage is nothing to sneeze at.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Plasma Culverins look like a death trap. A 4+ to hit with Cawl's reroll almost guarantees they're all blowing up.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I appreciate that GW has realized their dripfeed of 1 trait a day doesn't work with thanks to leaks and just dumped it all.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Pendent posted:

Vanilla marines being relatively poor without Guilliman is also tremendously amusing to me. You can definitely see the difference between the codexes that were mostly written before 8th launched and those that were created after they'd seen how the game is working out.

Vanilla Marines haven't been good since like 4th when the original traits and 6 man las/plas in Razorbacks was a thing. Mech Marines briefly gained some currency in 5th but Guard, Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Dark Eldar and Tau were all wildly stronger than Marines, never mind Grey Knights

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Hopefully Carnifexes are getting re-boxed because they have been out of stock forever and I need more of them.

Anyone have any they want to sell, hit me up.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Gorgon updated and fixed:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Completed a Deathwatch Landraider. Also pictured is my lotion.

Should I add some stirland mud and fall leaves to the tracks/bottom section?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Wait, Hydra is actually better than similar rules, it's not reroll misses, it's 'Can reroll hit rolls', so you can choose to reroll prior to modifiers...

Also Jormungandr will stack with Malanthrope/Venomthrope auras. 3+ Genestealers at -1 to hit. Can't advance and keep that, but you are usually charging in rd 1/2 anyhow.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

TKIY posted:

Gorgon updated and fixed:

Monstrous Scything Talons just got really good. Natively rerolling 1s to both hit and wound, potentially hitting on 2+ with OOE and charging on a fex, wounding all infantry on 3s, AP-3 and three damage.

Against vehicles they're wounding 20% more and previously couldn't even reroll in that area.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Plasma Culverins look like a death trap. A 4+ to hit with Cawl's reroll almost guarantees they're all blowing up.

With the elimination volley strategem pushing that 1 result into a 2 and avoiding the overheat they have been pretty solid for me.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Man all the hive fleets look pretty good, some are a little more situational than others but that's not terrible:

Behemoth is probably the weakest but if you go heavy tunnels it has a good place.
Kraken + Carnifexes or the 'MW on a charge' stratagem could be funny, but it's situational.
Leviathan is all-around useful.
Gorgon will work well with Nidzilla.
Jormungandr is the strongest overall I think.
Hydra for melee hordes is, again situational, but strong.
Kronos for gunlines, not sure how many Nid gunlines we'll see though?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Kronos looks good for loving with Psykers if that's an issue in your area. Even Magnus has to worry when he's casting on 1d6.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Behemoth weakest? A weak Feel No Pain that requires you to grind on The Swarmlord's leg to even benefit from it seems far weaker, in my books, especially when rerolling charges drastically improves your odds of making critical turn one and deep strike charges.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Bee posted:

Behemoth weakest? A weak Feel No Pain that requires you to grind on The Swarmlord's leg to even benefit from it seems far weaker, in my books, especially when rerolling charges drastically improves your odds of making critical turn one and deep strike charges.

Units are within 6" of themselves

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Yeah, not a fan of Leviathan. Those 6+ FNPs are just whatever. Behemoth seems very strong because deep strike charges are going to be a very important tactic for many Tyranid lists.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Behemoth gives everything with Synapse a 6+ FNP, so it works really well with independent Synapse units. It's a lot more likely to end up keeping a character alive for the charge than the IH version.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Units are within 6" of themselves

Yes, and Ulthwe and Iron Hands don't need to be within 6" of anything.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Bee posted:

Yes, and Ulthwe and Iron Hands don't need to be within 6" of anything.

Yeah but those also don't have 40-model units that could easily keep a model within 6" of a Synapse unit

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Phyresis posted:

Yeah, not a fan of Leviathan. Those 6+ FNPs are just whatever. Behemoth seems very strong because deep strike charges are going to be a very important tactic for many Tyranid lists.

A 17% increase to survivability for your entire army regardless of what you take or how you play is very solid, if boring.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TKIY posted:

Kronos for gunlines, not sure how many Nid gunlines we'll see though?

Well....
  • Tyrannofexes now essentially get six S10 lascannon shots per turn and a slight point drop
  • Dakkafexes can put out 24 BS3+ shots for ~100pts
  • Heavy Venom Cannons are now AP-2 and a straight 3 damage with a points cut
  • Regular VCs are better than old HVCs if you want to keep some Warriors back to babysit objectives
  • There's a stratagem to increase monster ranged damage by 1. Exocrines & TFexes say Hi.
  • Hive Guard can shoot twice with a stratagem
  • Jormungandr warlord trait allows nearby nids to ignore enemy cover bonuses
  • General warlord trait to pick an enemy unit type and re-roll hits against it (new preferred enemy I guess)

Having said that, I still prefer Jormungandr for gunlines because 2+ saves on T8 monsters with -1 to hit is just obnoxious. Especially if they can take out the main threats to themselves early on with their hugely improved guns.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah but those also don't have 40-model units that could easily keep a model within 6" of a Synapse unit

That's true. They also don't have several high wound count monsters, so in practice it's probably way better than I'm giving them credit for. I just wish it had as much wow factor as some of the cooler ones like Jorm and Hydra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Zuul the Cat posted:

Yeah my bad I forgot those. Admech is real rare here but when they do get brought it's loaded to the gills with grav kataphrons. Never seen marines use it other than a few times that I gave a cannon to my razorback squad. When I play PL I tend to give them a grav cannon and combi melta.