Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

so I have a smokehollow by Msterbuilt smoker and my cowboy chips just aren't smokin anymore. the element seems okay as the smoker's getting up to the 225 but it's just not smoking. I may get an amaz-n-smoke pellet trail but it's worked okay in the past just now the chips aren't really blackening. Time for a new element? it's about a year old and has been used may 10x?

maybe clean little bit of carbon out of the tray for the chips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

tater_salad posted:

so I have a smokehollow by Msterbuilt smoker and my cowboy chips just aren't smokin anymore. the element seems okay as the smoker's getting up to the 225 but it's just not smoking. I may get an amaz-n-smoke pellet trail but it's worked okay in the past just now the chips aren't really blackening. Time for a new element? it's about a year old and has been used may 10x?

I mean, you’re supposed to empty out that chip tray anyway after each use to avoid carbon fouling. That said, I am pretty bad about keeping up with that myself

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

tater_salad posted:

Definitely clean out the tray, but you may also be experiencing what happened to me. Trying to smoke in 100+ degree weather in Texas with a black smoker in the sun, that fucker was 160f inside already so the heating element just barely needed to kick on, and therefore wouldn't actually stay on long enough to ignite chips.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Doom Rooster posted:

Definitely clean out the tray, but you may also be experiencing what happened to me. Trying to smoke in 100+ degree weather in Texas with a black smoker in the sun, that fucker was 160f inside already so the heating element just barely needed to kick on, and therefore wouldn't actually stay on long enough to ignite chips.

That’s a new one. :v:

Now I wanna see if I can cook salmon with just the Florida sun.

What would the right word be, cure? Not smoke. Solarize? IRRADIATE.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

MrYenko posted:

That’s a new one. :v:

Now I wanna see if I can cook salmon with just the Florida sun.

What would the right word be, cure? Not smoke. Solarize? IRRADIATE.

Well, it would take awhile, so you could call it Sol Vide :q:

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Solar ovens are a real thing that a lot of people in the developing world use. They get from 150-200 degrees on a sunny day.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I've practically branded myself on my seatbelt when it was 120 outside in Phx. I've known people who've 'baked' cookies in their car. Easily doable to get a salmon or steak up to ~133-5 ish. Not sure I'd eat it but it would be food safe.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sorry it's the NY Post: Postal worker cooks steak on dashboard of mail truck

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dead Of Winter posted:

Well, it would take awhile, so you could call it Sol Vide :q:

“Filet of sol,” he said, with infinite majesty and calm.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm gonna put some smoke on a pork shoulder before braising it in a cooler verde. I know most of the smoke gets deposited early in a smoke, particularly when it's colder and wetter. What's the tipping point where it no longer is getting much smoke flavor and I can pull it? 2 hours? More? Less? I was thinking still of dialing in 225 because I know I like the smoke flavors at that temp.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Carillon posted:

I'm gonna put some smoke on a pork shoulder before braising it in a cooler verde. I know most of the smoke gets deposited early in a smoke, particularly when it's colder and wetter. What's the tipping point where it no longer is getting much smoke flavor and I can pull it? 2 hours? More? Less? I was thinking still of dialing in 225 because I know I like the smoke flavors at that temp.

IIRC its about 3-4 hour point where more smoke doesnt really do much. I do not add more wood after 2 hours myself.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Carillon posted:

Let us know how this goes!

I bought a ~9 pound shoulder, cut it in two pieces and smoked the bigger piece with the bone last week. (Turned out great! I am firmly on Team Crutch.)

But now I've got a 2.5 pound hunk with the money muscle that I want to cook. And I've got a bunch of tomatillos and jalapenos coming out of my garden looking for a home.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

But now I've got a 2.5 pound hunk with the money muscle that I want to cook. And I've got a bunch of tomatillos and jalapenos coming out of my garden looking for a home.

I believe the word you are looking for is carnitas.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Doing my first full packer - I usually separate point and flat - overnight tonight. Was able to trim it down where it fit on my WSM 18". I can't wait.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Chad Sexington posted:

Let us know how this goes!

I bought a ~9 pound shoulder, cut it in two pieces and smoked the bigger piece with the bone last week. (Turned out great! I am firmly on Team Crutch.)

Went great! Ended up leaving it on the smoke for about three hours. Not so smokey as to take over the chile verde, but really added a wonderful flavor to it. Ended up with close to 8 quarts though so will be giving some away. I did it with the last of my frozen hatch chiles before I restock in September. It's on of my favorite meals, I like to add just a little cinnamon in, often a rolled stick. It's subtle, but I like the warmth it brings.

Carillon fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 23, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I’m smoking some shoulder tomorrow and I’m gonna be a little more pure this time and use a Memphis rub and serve slaw to put on top. Wife and I both hate mayonnaise so I am gonna do a vinegar dressing for the slaw, though there’s something to be said for the sweetness of mayo-based dressing slaw when the flavor mixes with Memphis bbq sauce. I hate mayo slaw by itself but on a Memphis pulled pork sandwich it’s heaven. We will see how vinegar goes with it, but we are having guests over outside on our patio and like me, some of them are from TN.

Now to hope that the GF BBQ sauce she wants actually tastes good, she GF and I’m not soooooo that’s a little awkward

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

um excuse me posted:

IIRC its about 3-4 hour point where more smoke doesnt really do much. I do not add more wood after 2 hours myself.

Yeah that sounds about right for me too. I only add like three wood chunks at the start of every smoke on my bullet smoker. Within 3ish hours, those chunks are usually ash. I usually don’t add any extra wood.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

life is killing me posted:

I’m smoking some shoulder tomorrow and I’m gonna be a little more pure this time and use a Memphis rub and serve slaw to put on top. Wife and I both hate mayonnaise so I am gonna do a vinegar dressing for the slaw, though there’s something to be said for the sweetness of mayo-based dressing slaw when the flavor mixes with Memphis bbq sauce. I hate mayo slaw by itself but on a Memphis pulled pork sandwich it’s heaven. We will see how vinegar goes with it, but we are having guests over outside on our patio and like me, some of them are from TN.

Now to hope that the GF BBQ sauce she wants actually tastes good, she GF and I’m not soooooo that’s a little awkward

What bbq sauce has gluten in it anyway and why?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Yeah that sounds about right for me too. I only add like three wood chunks at the start of every smoke on my bullet smoker. Within 3ish hours, those chunks are usually ash. I usually don’t add any extra wood.

I've had good results adding small chunks every 30 mins or so for the first two hours.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Doing my first full packer - I usually separate point and flat - overnight tonight. Was able to trim it down where it fit on my WSM 18". I can't wait.

Ugh. Woke up in the middle of the night and my smoker had jumped to 275 out of nowhere. I overcorrected and while the smoker dropped temp (down to around 190) the meat dropped several degrees as well in the stall. Hope that doesn't dry it out.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Good luck, post pics!

The creaminess and sweetness the Mayo brings is pretty important IMO. I get the mayo dislike, so I’d put in enough sour cream and a little sugar to get the same effect.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

NomNomNom posted:

I don’t know but my wife went white girl grocery shopping online and got BBQ sauce that explicitly mentioned it is gluten free. I guess so people know for sure against regular bbq sauce where you read ingredients and have no idea what is gluten and what isn’t. I would have told her any BBQ sauce is gluten free but I don’t know that so I was like whatever

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NomNomNom posted:

Some probably get it via soy sauce.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

I haaaate mayo as well, but if i put enough applecider vinegar in with mayo, it masks it well enough for me. The drssing i use is mayo, apple cider vinegar, spicy brown mustard, celery seeds, sugar, and S&P. I dont make it very often, but its the only reason i have mayo in the fridge.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Some probably get it via soy sauce.

I, uh, would have expected soy sauce to be gluten free by default. I was wrong, apparently only Tamari style is usually gluten free. Why the gently caress do they add wheat/barley to soy sauce? Sweetness?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Murgos posted:

I, uh, would have expected soy sauce to be gluten free by default. I was wrong, apparently only Tamari style is usually gluten free. Why the gently caress do they add wheat/barley to soy sauce? Sweetness?

My wife has a lot of food allergies, including gluten, and this came as a shock to us as well. Gluten free soy sauce is very common thankfully and every Asian restarting around here always has it.

Corn Flakes has gluten in it too. Like Wtf!?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Murgos posted:

Different flavor profiles from different mixes of soy/grain, though the primary contribution of wheat is sweetness (via breakdown of starches into sugars.)

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I use unflavored Greek yogurt instead of Mayo for my slaws, and nobody I’ve fed it to has ever noticed.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Murgos posted:

They add wheat because it’s cheap. Sauces use it as a thickener, soy sauce uses it to bulk out the soy I guess.

If you’re gluten free lots of stuff that shouldn’t have gluten does.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

ixo posted:

I use unflavored Greek yogurt instead of Mayo for my slaws, and nobody I’ve fed it to has ever noticed.

I’ve done this. Mayo, Greek yogurt, sour cream are all pretty interchangeable if you just adjust the other ingredients you’re working with accordingly.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Chemmy posted:

They add wheat because it’s cheap. Sauces use it as a thickener, soy sauce uses it to bulk out the soy I guess.

If you’re gluten free lots of stuff that shouldn’t have gluten does.

Given that traditional Japanese soy sauces (other than tamari) have always used wheat (like, dating back to Edo era soy sauces), I don’t think that it’s because it’s cheap. It’s a flavorant, especially for sweetness, and contributes to aroma.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I got them in my water bath right now, about 8.25lbs of meat I rubbed with Meathead’s Memphis Dust. About 1/4 of the way into the process I realized I had like a quarter of the paprika I needed and subbed in black pepper for the rest so goddamn I hope that works out. Gonna smoke tomorrow

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

ixo posted:

Thanks for the idea! Im gonna try this next time i make slaw. Sounds great and id actually use the yogurt for something else.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Ugh. Woke up in the middle of the night and my smoker had jumped to 275 out of nowhere. I overcorrected and while the smoker dropped temp (down to around 190) the meat dropped several degrees as well in the stall. Hope that doesn't dry it out.

A little bit dry but ended up great overall.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
275 isn't too bad, there are people who do brisket all the way out to 300 degrees. The 190 might have dried it out.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

um excuse me posted:

275 isn't too bad, there are people who do brisket all the way out to 300 degrees. The 190 might have dried it out.

FWIW Aaron Franklin does all his brisket at 275 and many people say that’s the best in the world. YMMV.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Great. Had buns and other poo poo on order from Amazon, got a time slot last night for 9-11 tonight and all poo poo we needed for the pork, have people coming.

At 11:09 it’s not here and then the order gets cancelled with no explanation. Worst part is, I was at the store today and could’ve gotten all the poo poo I now don’t have, but didn’t because I thought I’d have it.

gently caress you Amazon for making me stay up late waiting for something that wasn’t gonna come, on my night to wake up and feed the baby.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Does anyone find any difference in the brand of wood chunks they buy? A 4 lb bag of Weber chunks is $6.50, where other brands of 10 lb bags go for $30. That’s $1.5/lb vs $3/lb and I don’t think I’d ever be able to taste the difference.

Is it all just marketing or are Weber chunks junk?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Wood is wood.

FWIW my Harris Teeter sells both Apple and Hickory chunks in store brand for pretty cheap. Saves me a trip to Home Depot (like I'm not already going there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I've never noticed a difference. Home Depot usually has a good variety of different woods too.