Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Lucky for me that HUNG YUNG GAI is only 13 characters including spaces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Airspace posted:

Psst, you got [Surname] [Given Name] there for Nobunaga.

Samurai Warriors irritates me because while it has a character creator most of the time you have not nearly enough spaces if you want a period appropriate name. While you've got your Yukimura Sanadas running around, you don't have the 15 spaces you need for a name of that length.

Isukiri is 7 spaces long and that's all you need imo

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

He Man is a stock dynasty warriors character, so how do you improve upon perfection

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I'm a big fan of Sima Yeet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

He Man is a stock dynasty warriors character, so how do you improve upon perfection

That's not perfection.

Perfection is Dong Tuna.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
This conversation is incomplete without Sima Wang.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
He Bang Dong

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Lol nice

IIRC "Dragon King" translated literally as Long Wang

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

"Lao Zi".

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Shannon and Sheldon Yonker for Yuan Shao/Shu, holy poo poo

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

warhammer651 posted:

Shannon and Sheldon Yonker for Yuan Shao/Shu, holy poo poo

Three Heroes Swear Brotherhood In The Peach Garden; One Victory Shatters The Rebels In Battlegrounds posted:

The rise of the fortunes of Han began when Rucker-Lewis the Supreme Ancestor slew a white serpent to raise the banners of uprising, which only ended when the whole empire belonged to Han (BC 202).

... Winkler-Lewis ... Chief Eunuch Harding-Saito ... Bingham-Spector ...

Regent Marshal and Guardian of the Throne, Jackson-Hoffman

I loving love this stupid thing.

Also:

Cernunnos posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dynasty/Samurai/Anime Warriors: Do no pursue Bullard-Lundmark

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 3, 2019

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Floyd-Chardin as Guan Yu is engraved on my soul.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The god of war is named Floyd

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Cowboy adaptation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms when?

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

warhammer651 posted:

Cowboy adaptation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms when?

Same time as the Mafia adaptation of the Sengoku Jidai

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Most of you probably already know it but this 2010 Chinese Three Kingdoms show is actually pretty legit entertaining and its all on youtube with subtitles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7llSbAPwg-0

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Its all about Man Chong

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Zaphod42 posted:

Most of you probably already know it but this 2010 Chinese Three Kingdoms show is actually pretty legit entertaining and its all on youtube with subtitles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7llSbAPwg-0

I love how they get so many characters right. Wang Yun's arrogance after defeating Dong Zhuo, Yuan Shao being cautious to the point that it negates every advantage that he had and Yuan Shu being his polar opposite in that regard and just as inept for it.

I have yet to finish it. I just hope the show doesn't revolve around Zhuge Liang as soon as he shows up. It's what killed the novels for me.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Cao Cao is the absolute best in that show.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sefal posted:

Yes.

Guan Yu is also a pretty good casting

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 5, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Sefal posted:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The show is great. I love the guy who plays Dong Zhuo

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was gonna read Romance of the Three Kingdoms now that the new total war has kind of rekindled that spark but now that I know the TV show is free on youtube I might just do that instead, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I was reading the wikipedia article for Liu Bei, and there's a brief part which addresses the controversy of whether he was the inventor of shoes, and now I'm even more intrigued

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Haven't played these in a while. What's the best one now? I remember thinking Pirate Warriors 3 was pretty great at the time, despite the goofy story and characters. (or maybe because of them? I didn't have much history with One Piece so it was all pretty unusual)

Is Dynasty Warriors 8 complete XL the best entry at this point?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was gonna read Romance of the Three Kingdoms now that the new total war has kind of rekindled that spark but now that I know the TV show is free on youtube I might just do that instead, thanks for bringing this to my attention.
The series does gloss over a few things (and on occasion skip them entirely -- there is no Dian Wei!) but it gets the important things across rather well. I'm only 28 episodes in so far but it's been a good watch and I can see myself watching it all the way through.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was reading the wikipedia article for Liu Bei, and there's a brief part which addresses the controversy of whether he was the inventor of shoes, and now I'm even more intrigued
Very, very unlikely that he invented shoes!

Chinook posted:

Haven't played these in a while. What's the best one now? I remember thinking Pirate Warriors 3 was pretty great at the time, despite the goofy story and characters. (or maybe because of them? I didn't have much history with One Piece so it was all pretty unusual)

Is Dynasty Warriors 8 complete XL the best entry at this point?
I'd say so, yes (I have little interest in the anime-related entries however so I might be wrong depending on what you actually want from a Musou game). There is a ridiculous amount of content in 8XL, I still go back and gently caress around with it frequently enough without getting bored.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 5, 2019

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
All this time, Liu Bei's association with "virtue" is a mistranslation, a corruption of language through the years, for "first shoe."

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm playing through a bunch of different characters in DW9 and it's kind of funny how they have to create filler just to give some of these people a longer campaign. Lu Bu is one of their star characters but he's only around for a tiny period of time so they have an entire chapter devoted to helping Yuan Shao fight a bunch of bandits as well as a side story about him being pestered by Dong Bai.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The Yuan Shao bit IS part of his history, mind you. He really did work alongside Yuan Shao, dealing with the Black Mountain Bandits. It's why he ended up going south in the first place: Yuan Shao tried to assassinate him, so he took off.

The Heishan/Black Mountain are....weird. They were so entrenched the Han gave them titles and control to buy them off. When the Han collapsed, they went right back at it. They were a major problem for Yuan Shao. Kept working with Gongsun Zan against him. They lasted till Cao Cao finished Yuan Shao. They submitted to Cao Cao, and still kept control of the lands they held.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Policenaut posted:

I'm playing through a bunch of different characters in DW9 and it's kind of funny how they have to create filler just to give some of these people a longer campaign. Lu Bu is one of their star characters but he's only around for a tiny period of time so they have an entire chapter devoted to helping Yuan Shao fight a bunch of bandits as well as a side story about him being pestered by Dong Bai.

I think that's great though. We've played the same main Romance saga 8 times by now (the first game wasn't a real Musou game, although there's also been spinoffs and expansions...) so we kinda need to branch out into side-stories and minor quests and stuff.

Seeing what Lu Bu was up to before Hulao makes sense to me.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Bloodly posted:

The Yuan Shao bit IS part of his history, mind you. He really did work alongside Yuan Shao, dealing with the Black Mountain Bandits. It's why he ended up going south in the first place: Yuan Shao tried to assassinate him, so he took off.

The Heishan/Black Mountain are....weird. They were so entrenched the Han gave them titles and control to buy them off. When the Han collapsed, they went right back at it. They were a major problem for Yuan Shao. Kept working with Gongsun Zan against him. They lasted till Cao Cao finished Yuan Shao. They submitted to Cao Cao, and still kept control of the lands they held.

So they won. Why haven't they gotten a playable character yet?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Good question. With Creative Assembly using their leader, Zhang Yan, as a faction leader, maybe he'll turn up as more than a generic.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Romance of the Three Kingdoms podcast is pretty good!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

RichterIX posted:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms podcast is pretty good!

whoa what?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iGpr72MHlk

He does a really good job (in my opinion) of deciding what to gloss over and what to go into detail about, and he does a lot to hammer in characterizations to help keep characters straight, etc. He is maybe not the most charismatic narrator, but I think he's funny and I like him.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
In the final stretch of platting WO3U, just have a couple minor trophies and the complete all gauntlet requests.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

RichterIX posted:

He does a really good job (in my opinion) of deciding what to gloss over and what to go into detail about, and he does a lot to hammer in characterizations to help keep characters straight, etc. He is maybe not the most charismatic narrator, but I think he's funny and I like him.

I've been listening to this through itunes and can confirm it's pretty good.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bloodly posted:

Huh, I didn't know that. Weird!

I'm also finding it a little weird how difficult it is to access Jin. I beat the game fully with Cao Cao, then did Lu Bu, and I wanted to get right into Jin but unfortunately the only person I could get into Jin with was like some new girl I don't know called Xin something.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Her axe is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

RichterIX posted:

cool I'll check it out later!