Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Decrepus posted:

?to

Don't all moves resolve before battles?

if someones attacking a province that you own and you are also attacking a province that they own then moves resolve in semi random order i think is how it works? the difference is you never catch someone whos moving into their own province but if they are moving into a enemy province you can catch them sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

VendoViper posted:

Great theory, unfortunately

There is no reason that shouldn't have been a legal move.

No matter why it happened, I think we can all agree I got crowned.

Oh drat, I was wondering why you actually stayed on the fort. I thought I was being sneaky by cutting your retreat, but I didn't realize how sneaky I was actually being!

e:

http://dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Turn_resolution_sequence posted:

21 Friendly movement All movement ending in a friendly province takes place now. If you are trying to get to a friendly province before an enemy does, you will do it if you are not stopped by an event that takes place in steps 1 through 11.
22 Other movement All other movement, including Break Siege, takes place.
23 Resolve battles All battle resolution from movement happens here.

Now I'm confused. Are you sure you weren't trying to retreat 2 provs away VendoViper?

feller fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 25, 2017

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Senor Dog posted:

Oh drat, I was wondering why you actually stayed on the fort. I thought I was being sneaky by cutting your retreat, but I didn't realize how sneaky I was actually being!

Now I'm confused. Are you sure you weren't trying to retreat 2 provs away VendoViper?

In the magic phase, you take the province with birds. Therefore stage 21 doesn't apply as he is moving to a hostile province. Then the break siege movement happens, and then battles are resolved (so your god stomps him)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

violent sex idiot posted:

if someones attacking a province that you own and you are also attacking a province that they own then moves resolve in semi random order i think is how it works? the difference is you never catch someone whos moving into their own province but if they are moving into a enemy province you can catch them sometimes

Not as far as I know.

IIRC moves happen before battles, period. If you and I both move into enemy provinces, we both arrive there before battles start being resolved. The only way you can 'catch' an enemy army that isn't moving to the same province as you is if you and the enemy army move into each other's provinces, in which case there's a chance based on the size of your army that you'll meet in the middle and whoever wins gets to go through with their move order, whereas the other army retreats from the province they started from.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

nothing to seehere posted:

In the magic phase, you take the province with birds. Therefore stage 21 doesn't apply as he is moving to a hostile province. Then the break siege movement happens, and then battles are resolved (so your god stomps him)

I was moving from another province, but how I'm reading this is friendly moves -> opponent moves -> then battles happen based on where everyone ends up. There's no battle phase between normal movement phases.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

Senor Dog posted:

e:

It is entirely possible, I don't really remember. But the plan was to draw you into my territory so I intended to move one province. But we all know this UI, it is possible I screwed it up, that would make a lot more sense.

I think it is safe to say we all learned something useful here today.

VendoViper fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 25, 2017

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Has there been a Magic Enhanced game?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Amuys posted:

Has there been a Magic Enhanced game?

I've been on the cusp up setting up two games using the mod but have been lazy. I'll do that tonight.

e: One of them will be a Bad Nations game, but there are like 4 different "Bad Nations" mods on Snek, all with what looks like identical descriptions. Could somebody tell me which one I should use?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
There were a couple of games with JBBM - how did they play out in the end? Happy to hear your feedback on it as it stood at v2

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Sample map with start locations in red and potential throne locations in white, shown wrapping in each direction. 12 players, 16 provinces per player. Player count will be adjustable by adding rows and columns of starts locations - so 4 players, 6 players, 9 players, 12 players (default), 16 players, etc.

Feeling pretty good about start locations and throne placement. Next is terrain types.

e: Another one, but without the province dots (which are a debug thing for the moment, not final):

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 28, 2017

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm a little concerned that having rush distances be formulaic to the point of being predictable might end up favoring aggressive nations. From those spreads, it looks like you can safely assume that by picking a direction and walking three hexes you will find someone to kill.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Hm. Well, the distance to another cap varies between 4-6 (though extremely rarely it could be 3) moves. Can't pack much more variation in without having brutally unbalanced starts (remember TheDemon from Lili's dom3 LP?) and/or a shitton of provinces per player.

Oh, and that assumes there are no rivers or mountain ranges in the way. Or straight-up lakes/seas.

e: Borders look better than no borders:

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 28, 2017

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I don't think it's an issue of size so much as regularity, but I imagine you're right in that limited variance making rush distances predictable is probably better than having massively advantaged start positions. In the top left of that sample map you have two factions with adjacent cap circles, which is probably bad?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Ok so I have a problem. I asked about this in IRC too but now it's worse. Lanka is stuck with only their capital but somehow gets more and more undead units every turn and is up to 900 now. How the gently caress is he doing that and how can I stop him?

Are there any good aoe anti-undead spells? I know about banishment but all my priests are also mages and cast stupid poo poo like fire flies when scripting runs out. I have earthquake but it costs too much fatigue to cast and doesn't it hurt your army too?

People mentioned domkill but how would I do that effectively? Build temples near his capital? Do temples spread dominion past adjacent provinces? I do have a throne with spread dominion 2 so I dunno if that's helping or not.

I'm hoping that his undead are so poo poo that I can trade favorably with my army but 900 is a lot to chew through. I'm EA tien chi btw. gently caress Lanka.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

demon or undead units with Holy magic reanimate instead of preaching, Lanka's priests are all demons. knowing what kind of magic you have would be instrumental in knowing how you can kill a thousand skeletons. also scout reports vary by up to 50% I think so that could be why it seems to be growing so much

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I've got evo4, conj5 and ench2 and alt1. I've got mages with most paths at 1 except blood. A few W2, F2, S2 and A2. My pretender has F9.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

elementals are really good at killing skeletons.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mercury elementals less so

imo you should ring their capital with temples and recruit endless indy priests each turn

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tagichatn posted:

Ok so I have a problem. I asked about this in IRC too but now it's worse. Lanka is stuck with only their capital but somehow gets more and more undead units every turn and is up to 900 now. How the gently caress is he doing that and how can I stop him?

Are there any good aoe anti-undead spells? I know about banishment but all my priests are also mages and cast stupid poo poo like fire flies when scripting runs out. I have earthquake but it costs too much fatigue to cast and doesn't it hurt your army too?

People mentioned domkill but how would I do that effectively? Build temples near his capital? Do temples spread dominion past adjacent provinces? I do have a throne with spread dominion 2 so I dunno if that's helping or not.

I'm hoping that his undead are so poo poo that I can trade favorably with my army but 900 is a lot to chew through. I'm EA tien chi btw. gently caress Lanka.
As EA TC you should have like a million D1 guys right? Just cast Dust to Dust with them alongside all your size 6 elementals. It's Thuam 1 and it's good against longdead.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Voyager I posted:

I'm a little concerned that having rush distances be formulaic to the point of being predictable might end up favoring aggressive nations. From those spreads, it looks like you can safely assume that by picking a direction and walking three hexes you will find someone to kill.

This is already more or less true unless you're playing on really big maps.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Tagichan you send the eq guy with some disposable chaff set to eq, eq - run. Also lanka will keep making more undead until you siege then so the more you wait the worse it gets.
Edit oh wait ea tc Uhhhh I guess give the guy a levitation ring

Sloppy Milkshake fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 28, 2017

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

jBrereton posted:

As EA TC you should have like a million D1 guys right? Just cast Dust to Dust with them alongside all your size 6 elementals. It's Thuam 1 and it's good against longdead.

How about a size 6 fire elementals WITH BARK SKIN?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

a grave tactical error. this will make them more susceptible to fire

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

a grave tactical error. this will make them more susceptible to fire
*laughs Duke Wenishly* this is not dominions 3. They'll be fine.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Posting to be authenticated on Brainwrinkle.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Doing some simple elevation mapping to determine water provinces. Brighter is higher. Players start at high points (red provinces). Province value will tend to increase as you go downhill (driving players into conflict to gain/maintain their most valuable provinces). Red dots are thrones.

No rivers or mountains yet. I may add water starts before rivers and mountains though. Also no forest/wastes/swamps/caves, which come pretty much last.

e: images fixed.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 30, 2017

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
How are you going to place the province flags? I see some red dots scattered here and there which I assume are the centres of the pre-deformed province areas, but it might be worth doing a second pass to find the centre of mass for each deformed province and place the actual flags there. Although you're probably already doing this.

I like how it's looking, but I'm a little bothered by the big variation in province shapes and sizes. Is the deformation a variable you can ramp up and down, or is it fixed for mathematical reasons?

DickheadHipster
Dec 27, 2013
Hi, just posting here for confirmation on Brainwrinkle. I've signed up with Dipster as my name.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Boing posted:

How are you going to place the province flags?

By taking the average of the total province (approximately, not literally every pixel), with one exception I already know needs to be accounted for. The throne dots are not final positioning, just a quick way to tell what's a throne without papering over the elevation level.

Boing posted:

I like how it's looking, but I'm a little bothered by the big variation in province shapes and sizes. Is the deformation a variable you can ramp up and down, or is it fixed for mathematical reasons?

It's mostly fixed at this point, though there's one additional measure I've been considering. Also keep in mind that the tiniest provinces are intended to be caves, not regular provinces.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Here's a pic with the additional size smoothing element I mentioned:

It's not a gigantic change, but it helps in the most extreme cases. Tiny provinces in particular are almost twice the height and width on average.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
And how's this for water province distribution with water starts? (10 land players, 2 water players)

They're right on par for 16 water provinces per water player, not counting the extra non-connected lakes. May need to tweak how deep sea gets generated compared to regular water though. Feels like deep water ought to be mostly in the middle of seas, for logical reasons, but it's not working out that way yet.

Holykittens
Jun 2, 2013
Hi I am posting for the brain wrinkle thing
Also I forgot my steam page in the sign up because my brain lacks any wrinkles
so I guess ill post it here http://steamcommunity.com/id/Holykittens/

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
If you have the two underwater players start in the same body of water like that, doesn't it risk the shared sea immediately becoming a Thunderdome where the winner gets to play the game with tons of provinces and two capitals? It doesn't seem like you can reliably assume the land nations will be able to interact with the water in the very early game, so the UW guys won't be facing the same risks for committing hard to an early war that a land nation does.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

If you have the two underwater players start in the same body of water like that, doesn't it risk the shared sea immediately becoming a Thunderdome where the winner gets to play the game with tons of provinces and two capitals? It doesn't seem like you can reliably assume the land nations will be able to interact with the water in the very early game, so the UW guys won't be facing the same risks for committing hard to an early war that a land nation does.
Yes but it's not like that doesn't happen on land when someone is better or at least more aggressive than a neighbouring player.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Yes but it's not like that doesn't happen on land when someone is better or at least more aggressive than a neighbouring player.

If the neighbouring land nations allow that to happen, they deserve to lose. In the ocean there's not much neighbours can do.

That said, even with two caps how often do UW nation's win?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm having a good time playing MA Ermor. I don't think my neighbor guy is though.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm having a good time playing MA Ermor. I don't think my neighbor guy is though.

New thread title please

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Remove all water nations.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Decrepus posted:

Remove all water nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Make every single coastal province have good recruitable amphibian indies.

• Locked thread