Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

Plump helmet Mushroom with a broth of Dwarven Wine.

What a nice roast.

I'll have you know that wine was expertly minced :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lpzie posted:

Is there some problem with dwarves eating the best foodstuffs I got? I keep seeing dwarves unhappy from eating meals but I've been pumping out lavish meals for 10 years nonstop.

Watch your dining room, dwarves are idiots and will grab a plain plump helmet when there are literally hundreds of masterwork prepared meals sitting around. If everyone is actually eating meals and still complaining, you need more variety in your roasts.

I think it has something to do with how dwarfs choose materials for jobs. In this case hunger is the job, and any edible item is the material. Instead of picking the best, most favored, or most valuable material, they chose the one that is closest. (By DF reckoning of closest). I've toyed with the idea of completely surrounding my food prep area with a prepared meals stockpile. That way a prepared meal should always be closer than a plain edible ingredient for any dwarf outside the area.

Oh, and I think soldiers always end up dissatisfied with the food if you let them carry 2 or 3 food in their backpack, because they will always grab a stack of identical things. So the second or third time they eat from the stack they are grumpy about eating the same old thing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Oh, and I think soldiers always end up dissatisfied with the food if you let them carry 2 or 3 food in their backpack, because they will always grab a stack of identical things. So the second or third time they eat from the stack they are grumpy about eating the same old thing.

Realistic

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I put my cooking and farming area past the dining room and food stockpile, with no other access point, and I generally do not have food issues like that. So yeah, distant probably matters.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think it has something to do with how dwarfs choose materials for jobs. In this case hunger is the job, and any edible item is the material. Instead of picking the best, most favored, or most valuable material, they chose the one that is closest. (By DF reckoning of closest). I've toyed with the idea of completely surrounding my food prep area with a prepared meals stockpile. That way a prepared meal should always be closer than a plain edible ingredient for any dwarf outside the area.

If you're correct, you'd need a stockpile above and below your raw ingredient pile as well. An easier solution is to locate your food prep area relatively far from your main fort, and put a prepared-meals-only stockpile under the dining room.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
That's assuming his kitchen area was immediately over other levels.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It takes a bit of one-time fuss, but make some small stockpiles right inside and/or immediately above/below your dining hall which accepts only completed meals and drinks and keep your raw foods far away.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Are items in 4+ water unrecoverable without some drainage system in place? Why don't my skilled swimmers go out and fetch it? I feel like they should.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

they are, it blows

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/Bay12Games/status/770720896927399937

Beware its deadly dust!

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Augh, why do I never remember to quicksave when something good happens? My glassmaker had a Strange Mood and jumped up to Legendary, then the game crashed like a week later. >.<

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
Regarding food stockpiles:

Assuming your fortress has a central stairwell my general design is:

From the stairwell near the top level are farms and a seed stockpile and then a separate stairwell down. This secondary stairwell is far away from the central stairwell.

From the secondary stairwell, down one level, heading back towards the central stairwell is the first food stockpile and then another stairwell down. This first food stockpile is set to only accept Un-prepared food. (No drinks).

From that stairwell down, down one level, again heading back towards the central stairwell will be the kitchens, stills, millstone/quern, and maybe a farmer's workshop. Finally, in between these work areas and the central stairway will be the prepared food and drink stockpiles. (There may be other prepared food and drink stockpiles elsewhere as well such as near the tavern, dining hall, tavern, or hospital.) These two stockpiles will only accept prepared food and drink.

This way, the unprepared food stuffs are farther away and less likely to be taken from than the prepared stuff. This also means the haulers aren't cluttering the central stairwell during their tasks.

Be sure to set the traffic areas so that those secondary stairwell's are marked as low traffic. That helps to prevent slowdowns from pathing searches.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This general logic is good for most things!

If you want to turn your Dwarf Fortress into Factorio, you can get crazy with a bunch of small, linked stockpiles that pull and push from and to other things in a chain to maximize efficiency. :flashfap:

Or you can just say "gently caress it" and put everything that's not food and corpse/refuse in a single-tile QSP. :effort:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Accidentally broke into hell early because one adamantum shaft was only two levels deep. No biggie, let's go out in a blaze of glory. Two pages of demons appear, enlist everyone in the army. Suddenly only 12ish demons are still around, most of which are swimming in the magma sea. Only 5 actually go into my fortress and get killed after 12 dwarf deaths, most of which were raw recruits. Also got invaded by goblins at the same time, that was only about 15 goblins and was a no casualty attack. So now I guess i'll take the fight down to hell.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

What's the best way to get a mason to make statues for temples? I've been looking through the Details options and there's nothing separate for deities or religions, or not as far as I can see.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

StrangeAeon posted:

What's the best way to get a mason to make statues for temples? I've been looking through the Details options and there's nothing separate for deities or religions, or not as far as I can see.

There should be an option for historical entities or something like that. They're under there.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

TheCIASentMe posted:

There should be an option for historical entities or something like that. They're under there.

At the very least, you should be able to sort by name and just find the name of the deity you're looking for. It'll take forever that way, but it'll work.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

So I've decided to play this again after a few years and I'm fiddling with the LNP and noticed the "enhanced gameplay" option in DFHack adds human merchants and elven diplomats. Didn't those use to be in the game by default? Did they get removed?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Not intentionally. Hence why they're in the "fix" category.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Is modding this to make children able to work possible or easy? I've done it before briefly with a dfhack bug ages ago. I have too many of them and child labor seems super fitting in dorffort when you think deep about it. :colbert:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You can edit the raws so that dwarves reach adulthood much earlier. Look for [CHILD:12] and lower the number.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
You might be able to assign labors to children with a utility. With pure raw editing you could simply set it so children mature into adults more quickly.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I think there is a cheat setting in Dwarf Therapist that lets you assign labors to kids. There used to be, anyway. You have to be careful with it though, because kids are small and weak, so if you set them to hauling heavy things they will take forever. If you assign them to chores kids can reasonably be expected to do it works okay. I think I used to give them cleaning, feeding patients, weeding (farming), pulling levers, maybe a few other things that don't require much strength.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Imapanda posted:

Is modding this to make children able to work possible or easy? I've done it before briefly with a dfhack bug ages ago. I have too many of them and child labor seems super fitting in dorffort when you think deep about it. :colbert:

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think there is a cheat setting in Dwarf Therapist that lets you assign labors to kids. There used to be, anyway. You have to be careful with it though, because kids are small and weak, so if you set them to hauling heavy things they will take forever. If you assign them to chores kids can reasonably be expected to do it works okay. I think I used to give them cleaning, feeding patients, weeding (farming), pulling levers, maybe a few other things that don't require much strength.

The simplest way for most people is to open Dwarf Therapist, which is included by default with the Lazy Newb Pack and most other mod packs. From the main screen, click the Options button to open a new window.

You will see a bigger window with more buttons, but those aren't important right now.

From the new window, look toward the bottom of the General tab, which is open by default. You're looking for the :siren:I'm a Dirty Cheater:siren: header, directly beneath which is the checkbox for "Allow Labor Setting on Anyone." Check that box then hit OK.

P.S.—your mother would be ashamed of you, consider maybe being less dirty.

Once you're back on the main screen for Dwarf Therapist, you will be able to assign labours to those you previously could not. This includes children. By default these entities are marked in a dark red background.

Have fun with your newfound ability to exploit child labour, you capitalist swine!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nietzschean posted:

The simplest way for most people is to open Dwarf Therapist, which is included by default with the Lazy Newb Pack and most other mod packs. From the main screen, click the Options button to open a new window.

You will see a bigger window with more buttons, but those aren't important right now.

From the new window, look toward the bottom of the General tab, which is open by default. You're looking for the :siren:I'm a Dirty Cheater:siren: header, directly beneath which is the checkbox for "Allow Labor Setting on Anyone." Check that box then hit OK.

P.S.—your mother would be ashamed of you, consider maybe being less dirty.

Once you're back on the main screen for Dwarf Therapist, you will be able to assign labours to those you previously could not. This includes children. By default these entities are marked in a dark red background.

Have fun with your newfound ability to exploit child labour, you capitalist swine!

That's a good tutorial. :)

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Ethrammostod, "Ripeshames", a water buffalo leather thong.

This is a water buffalo leather thong. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with pig tail. This object menaces with spikes of water buffalo leather, two-humped camel leather, reindeer bone and white opal. On the item is an image of Fath Wheeledswam and dwarves in water buffalo leather. Fath Wheeledswam is surrounded by the dwarves. This artwork relates to the ascension of Fath Wheeledswam to the position of baron of The Rock of Hills in 195.

This is a protest piece if there has ever been one.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

"Cursed dwarfs"?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zereth posted:

"Cursed dwarfs"?

Vampires and werebeast-infected victims; that option is there so that they're highlighted on the Therapist screen to identify them, so you can easily find them and deal with them (by cheating).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh, those things.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Is there a way to receive no merchants at all? Any sort of threat from lack of food or supplies is nonexistent when I can load up almost every season with any resource I want by trading away rock crafts. I kinda want to have to defend my livestock in inhospitable land because the lives of everybody depends on it. I know I could ignore the merchants when they arrive but that isn't really the same.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Embark on an island that fully fits inside your local area?

Scan around locations until the Dwarves are no longer your neighbors.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Isn't at least the first dwarves caravan guaranteed? Or is that just migrants?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
You could remove the [ACTIVE_SEASON] tags from the entity raws of the friendly civs. I think that would keep traders from showing up, and you can do it on an active save.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lpzie posted:

Is there a way to receive no merchants at all? Any sort of threat from lack of food or supplies is nonexistent when I can load up almost every season with any resource I want by trading away rock crafts. I kinda want to have to defend my livestock in inhospitable land because the lives of everybody depends on it. I know I could ignore the merchants when they arrive but that isn't really the same.

Gen a world with conditions such that there are no surviving dwarf civilizations. Preferably until there are no surviving dwarves. Usually fairly old worlds and/or worlds with lots of titans/beasts.

You'll get the first 2 migrant waves for sure (they get randomly generated if there are no real dwarves to pull from) but there won't be any caravans ever I think.

e: oh apparently that has changed in .40 sorry :(

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lpzie posted:

Food is never an issue these days. Farming is so easy, eventually my farmers always out produce my plant stockpile capacity. Quarry bush/plump helmet roasts are apparently delicious. A soil layer is nearly guaranteed, I can't remember the last time I had to mess around making mud, but making mud isn't difficult. I usually bring a few turkeys along for variety, egg production isn't really necessary though. In most biomes hunting is viable. Fishing, Amok help you if you forget to disable fishing on most of the immigrants, because your refuse stockpile will soon overflow with rotten fish. One good fisherdwarf can easily keep 2 or 3 fish processing stations busy.

Once I messed up and didn't notice my civilization had no iron, so I had no anvil and couldn't turn my ore into bronze picks to dig. Which meant I couldn't farm. I thought I was going to be in trouble food-wise. I set a bunch of gathering zones on the surface, and the dwarves easily found enough plants and fruits to keep us in food and booze until the fall caravan.

I might import some food from the first or second caravan just to build up a buffer, but by year three I can basically buy out the caravans just by exporting the non-masterwork roasts.

Anyway, if you don't want merchants just don't build a Depot. The caravans will sit at the edge of the map for a few months and then leave.

Or for a caravan-light experience, build your Depot behind a door. No 3 tile wide path means wagons won't show up at all, so all the caravans will be about the same size as an elf caravan. Potentially useful and worth looking forward to, but not able to drown you in ever possible trade good.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I retired my previous fort and started a new one in the same world, it was cool to see some of the migrants were people from my old fort (the first were-invasion was the guy i had walled up in my old place!) But the game kept crashing because something got bugged in the save for some of the visitors so I had to abandon that world. Two generated worlds later I started a new fort only fr a dragon to come and fly down the opening before the lever got pulled and burned everything to the ground (and the game crashed after I retired that fort with only two people left alive and a dead dragon while it was saving the world, which means that world is probably borked as well, so I'll just generate another. Wasn't a big fan of that world's civ names, can't even remember it but it had nothing on The Ferocious Gloves. I'm trying to find good savage sites to embark on with lots of giant animals to trap and train so I'm going to play around with world gen settings for the first time and see what happens.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Lpzie posted:

Embark on an evil volcano. The merchants will be very lucky if they ever make it to your depot.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

So what are the things to avoid doing? Is it plant gathering? Is the game just generally unstable atm?

Downloaded this for the first time in a long time earlier, latest LNP, crashed 3 times in an hour. I barely managed to get past the starting point of moving stuff out of the wagon.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 8, 2016

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I don't have stability issues anymore. I think the last time I had a crash was before the leaves growing into buildings bug was fixed.

Gathering plants and fruits is risky as dwarves like to climb trees and never climb down, or someone steals their ladder, but it works for the most part.

Make sure you have the 43.03-r06 lnp release. That's the latest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Another crash... And yep, am on that version, I only downloaded it earlier. The error log only has one thing in it, and it's moaning about plant gathering, so maybe if I give up on that...