Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah it doesn't hurt my enjoyment of the original just like scott's moronic ideas about deckard don't harm my viewings of the blade runners.

speaking of the original i wish they hadn't cut out the turning into an egg scene that's gotta be one of the most disturbing things i've seen in a movie.

One of the more baffling changes in the Alien “director’s cut” is he changed up the audio when the characters listen to the Derelict’s broadcast. The original audio sounded like an elephant being strangled underwater and was legit unsettling, the audio in the director’s cut feels a lot more generic and nowhere near as “weird”. I’m phone posting otherwise I’d grab some links of the two versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

One of the more baffling changes in the Alien “director’s cut” is he changed up the audio when the characters listen to the Derelict’s broadcast. The original audio sounded like an elephant being strangled underwater and was legit unsettling, the audio in the director’s cut feels a lot more generic and nowhere near as “weird”. I’m phone posting otherwise I’d grab some links of the two versions.

There's interesting, I didn't know that and definitely have never listened to the two of them side by side.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

There's interesting, I didn't know that and definitely have never listened to the two of them side by side.

I’ll try and dig them up when I get home from work, the replacement audio is drastically inferior in my opinion.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Was there was a specific reason for the change or if it was just a matter of the original audio being lost and them just trusting whatever sound guy to handle it?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I think this is the original audio version: https://youtu.be/n_VnoLyrfdY

Edit: a video conveniently comparing the two: https://youtu.be/9UwYJRj2Zao

Kane’s “Good God!” really doesn’t fit the newer version.

david_a fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 12, 2019

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

I think this is the original audio version: https://youtu.be/n_VnoLyrfdY

Edit: a video conveniently comparing the two: https://youtu.be/9UwYJRj2Zao

Kane’s “Good God!” really doesn’t fit the newer version.

There we go, thanks! :cheers:

Neo Rasa posted:

Was there was a specific reason for the change or if it was just a matter of the original audio being lost and them just trusting whatever sound guy to handle it?

The original audio definitely hasn’t been lost, the deleted scene itself with the original audio has been around for years. I’ve never seen a reason given for the change, I suspect it’s just Ridley being Ridley.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

There we go, thanks! :cheers:

The original audio definitely hasn’t been lost, the deleted scene itself with the original audio has been around for years. I’ve never seen a reason given for the change, I suspect it’s just Ridley being Ridley.

I mean original audio like the the actual first recording of it. Sometimes when stuff is re-released or restored some bits of audio, the original sources are lost or sometimes degraded to the point where something new has to be recorded. So like you can hear the original on various releases of a thing but if it was reused 1:1 in an otherwise restored version of a movie it would sound way off or/and you could hear a lot of background noise you wouldn't have perceived on a lower quality mix like on a VHS/etc. Arguably that could actually improve the sound in this particular case but it seemed like such an odd thing to change that it made me wonder if they just couldn't find the original asset and just trusted someone to make a new "unknown signal" type of sound.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

It keeps Ridley Scott from digging his narrative hole deeper if his movie never gets off the ground, though.

The issue here is that began with Alien 3, then continued with every sequel and spin-off so it's not like the bar is set high anymore and the story of the universe isn't dragged through the mud. Most of the supplemental EU stuff is probably straight garbage as well.

Just let the dumpster fire burn and enjoy the beauty of the flames.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

sigher posted:

The issue here is that began with Alien 3, then continued with every sequel and spin-off so it's not like the bar is set high anymore and the story of the universe isn't dragged through the mud. Most of the supplemental EU stuff is probably straight garbage as well.

Just let the dumpster fire burn and enjoy the beauty of the flames.

Well I mean, on one level I agree with you because a lot of the EU is all over the map, but the bulk of it is self contained and doesn’t really have ramifications for the other stories. The prequel movies kind of go out of their way to do exactly that, and the results are both unnecessary and of questionable quality IMO.

I’m not saying the prequel movies shouldn’t have been made; they’ve got a lot of legit neat ideas and gorgeous visuals (and David, who rules), I just think they shouldn’t have been Alien movies. Independent of my fanboy whining that they hosed with my Alien movies, I think Ridley Scott could have come up with some really crazy and hosed up poo poo had he not been mandated to tether things to the Alien movies.

I mean it’s easy enough to ignore the stuff I don’t care for, but that doesn’t mean I can’t express why I don’t like it. :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I dreamed I was watching Ridley Scott's new Alien movie in theaters. It started with a bunch of military and/or space personel being interrogated about rumours and information on the xenos. Some kind of top secret project was being prepared. Then a series of amazing space sequences, like a crash zoom into a planet formed of ice with a bunch of space ships doing something around it.

Then I woke up.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xenomrph posted:

Well I mean, on one level I agree with you because a lot of the EU is all over the map, but the bulk of it is self contained and doesn’t really have ramifications for the other stories. The prequel movies kind of go out of their way to do exactly that, and the results are both unnecessary and of questionable quality IMO.

Er... not really, though? The prequels just establish a weird tangential line away from what we already know.

All you'd have to do to get things "back on track" is establish that David was copying the Engineers' existing work, and there's already evidence for this in Prometheus (the Deacon, the giant starfish pseudo-facehugger).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Well sure, but Ridley might not do that unless the studio mandated it. He’s so unpredictable that who knows what he’s going to want to do, or how hard he’d push back on a studio mandate.
the only reason there are even Aliens in Covenant is because Fox told him to do it.
his response was to try and gently caress with the Alien’s origin, a move so unpopular that the guy writing the movie’s novelization recognized that it was stupid and unilaterally chose to change it when he wrote the book.

Between the option of Ridley Scott doubling down on the stuff I didn’t like, or the studio taking his toys away, I’ll take the latter.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Xenomrph posted:

his response was to try and gently caress with the Alien’s origin, a move so unpopular that the guy writing the movie’s novelization recognized that it was stupid and unilaterally chose to change it when he wrote the book.

The fact that it was changed in the novelization means all of jack poo poo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Between the option of Ridley Scott doubling down on the stuff I didn’t like, or the studio taking his toys away, I’ll take the latter.

"I don't like this man's art so I'm glad he won't be able to make anymore."

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Schwarzwald posted:

The fact that it was changed in the novelization means all of jack poo poo.
The author got interviewed about it and that’s why he said he did it.

sigher posted:

"I don't like this man's art so I'm glad he won't be able to make anymore."
No, I’m just not heartbroken if he doesn’t get to make another prequel, like I said at the start.
If I don’t like what somebody did, not being upset if they don’t continue doing it seems like a sensible and understandable position.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wish the prequels were not prequels mostly because I think David is engagingly terrifying and just wish it was about him without pausing the movie every so often for dumb Alien fanservice/references.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ImpAtom posted:

I wish the prequels were not prequels mostly because I think David is engagingly terrifying and just wish it was about him without pausing the movie every so often for dumb Alien fanservice/references.

Yes, this, exactly. There’s a bunch of really great David moments - one of my favorites is from Covenant when David tries to communicate with one of the Neomorphs (right after it murdered someone) and then his reaction of horror after Oram guns it down. That whole sequence is fantastic.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In Alien, the Mother computer accidentally encounters an alien signal - which, based on her corporate programming, she interprets as justification to kill the crew. It’s a big debacle.

In Alien licensed merchandise, this event was retconned into an elaborate, nonsensical conspiracy.

In Alien 2, this event was retconned to not exist.

Those are ‘ramifications’.

The alien egg design being 20 years old instead of some other age is not a ‘ramification’.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah in the EU isn't it that the company already picked up the signal and translated and sent the ship there specifically to "stumble upon" it? that poo poo's dumb.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah in the EU isn't it that the company already picked up the signal and translated and sent the ship there specifically to "stumble upon" it? that poo poo's dumb.

I used to think that Mother was on some level in communication with the company though. Not in a the entire thing was a massive conspiracy set up sort of way but in a more impulsive, like, some suit at home at some point during Alien pings Mother back to be like "oh poo poo an actual capital A Alien ship??? holy gently caress yeah, do it" so it and Ash go full crew expendable we have to get a sample of this back home no matter what.

I thought of it that way because in Alien 3 and some other small bits I got the impression that, when we see BIG GREEN TEXT ON A BLACK SCREEN in Alien stuff we're seeing like a direct connection communication with the network/mother/some actual people on Earth itself and not the ship's specific computer. But it also makes sense that way and would explain why like, you talk to Mother via typing text messages into a way more advanced looking bright white light bright kind of room compared to everything else we see on the Nostromo. Like every profitable ship/space station/etc. facility probably has some kind of "we need to talk to an important person on earth NOW" way of communication, like how even on the run down refinery in Alien 3 they have a direct line to the network and can converse in almost real time on it. The terseness of it made me think it was less Mother talking and more folks at home talking and Mother giving the signal in English because [transmitting stuff across an insane distance quickly technobabble] reasons.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Special Order 937 makes it pretty clear that Ash was sent with a definite objective: bag a specimen. I always read it as the Company having an inkling that something was out there, and the Nostromo happened to be the next ship of theirs passing that way, so they planted Ash aboard just in case Mother picked up a definite sign.

Who knows, though. Maybe the Company had sent half a dozen incredibly expensive ships like the Prometheus to find out what the gently caress happened to their previous expeditions, and finally decided that diverting an old tugboat by 'accident' had the same chance of success while being a hell of a lot cheaper.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I mean in that makes sense too, the company for whatever reasons thought hey maybe something was near that route possibly so they put Ash on the ship, then when they pick up an actual straight up signal Ash points out how they'd lose their shares if they don't follow it and that's it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

That has inspired a scenario idea when I get my Alien tabletop RPG: A derilect in space with a sargasso style amalgamated hulk of 5-6 different commercial/military/rescue ships docked together each diverted because they "happened to encounter a signal," to the point where it's almost comical when the PC's arrive.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Owlbear Camus posted:

That has inspired a scenario idea when I get my Alien tabletop RPG: A derilect in space with a sargasso style amalgamated hulk of 5-6 different commercial/military/rescue ships docked together each diverted because they "happened to encounter a signal," to the point where it's almost comical when the PC's arrive.
That happened in an episode of Space: 1999, where they find a whole bunch of derelict ships drifting through space and decide to investigate.

It does not go well.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Payndz posted:

Special Order 937 makes it pretty clear that Ash was sent with a definite objective: bag a specimen. I always read it as the Company having an inkling that something was out there, and the Nostromo happened to be the next ship of theirs passing that way, so they planted Ash aboard just in case Mother picked up a definite sign.

See that’s the thing: Ash was planted not to capture alien eggs but simply to spy on the workers.

The ‘joke’ of Alien is that some computer programmers at the corporation told the Mothers to maximize profit and keep the workers down, then they put in some code about alien technology as an afterthought. Like, after 936 special orders, some guy said “maybe put something about aliens. You never know, right?”

Mother is working independently based on these orders, and the point of making her a computer is that she takes these rules deadly serious. The programmers never intended it, but she decides that the crew is expendable. (Otherwise, Mother wouldn’t need to tell Ash that the crew is expendable. Ash would already know.)

Keep in mind that Mother is literally just the autopilot on a tugboat. There are presumably thousands of these tugboats floating around. She isn’t special - she wasn’t designed to go fight ‘xenomorphs’. They just took a HAL-type computer and taught it capitalism. The resulting disaster was unforeseen but inevitable.

Changing that changes the whole story, whereas the only ‘ramification’ of putting the creation of the alien egg in the year 2100 is that it makes stuff like AVP1 “non-canon.” Batman can’t fight the egg in 1992 because it hasn’t been invented yet.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 14, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Heck yes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Changing that changes the whole story, whereas the only ‘ramification’ of putting the creation of the alien egg in the year 2100 is that it makes stuff like AVP1 “non-canon.” Batman can’t fight the egg in 1992 because it hasn’t been invented yet.

It's not anything specifically plot related that some people seem to have an issue with, it's that events of Covenant(and Prometheus to a much lesser extent) make the universe feel "smaller" and so it takes away from that Lovecraftian existential dread in the original film. I don't agree but it's an opinion I've heard a lot around here.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

poo poo, those were meant for me. Did they get delivered to you by mistake? Could you forward them on to me? Thanks!

Basebf555 posted:

It's not anything specifically plot related that some people seem to have an issue with, it's that events of Covenant(and Prometheus to a much lesser extent) make the universe feel "smaller" and so it takes away from that Lovecraftian existential dread in the original film. I don't agree but it's an opinion I've heard a lot around here.

Exactly. The prequels take a weird and ancient crashed extraterrestrial spacecraft carrying strange ancient horrors beyond imagination (with the implication that other such monsters could be lurking elsewhere in the dark, awaiting some luckless victims to stumble across them) and rewrites the weird extraterrestrials as literal humans who created terrestrial humanity, and the eldritch horror is only 20 years old and exists in an extremely limited scope. Humanity isn’t alone and insignificant in a cold, vast, and dangerously uncaring universe - they’re the central players in an interstellar vendetta in which they were specially created by “god”.

Like, there are cool ideas in there - humanity learning that it was manufactured and then meeting their “gods” (and said gods hate them) is a cool idea. Those gods visually looking like idealized Roman sculptures is a cool idea. The cyclical motif of creations becoming creators and hating their creations is a cool idea. David creating something that’s meant to harm his creators is a cool idea.

But those are all cool ideas that deserve to be in their own, separate series. The prequels kneecap some of the most interesting thematic elements from ‘Alien’, and end up getting hamstrung by necessary fanservice connections to ‘Alien’ in the process, and both components are worse off for it.

It’s got nothing to do with comic books or AvP or whatever.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 14, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

David created the alien, and that’s just awesome

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CelticPredator posted:

David created the alien, and that’s just awesome

He created an alien.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The alien created David

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

After hours of quiet contemplation, I have concluded that I am canon.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The xenomorph is god and the black goo, face hugger, and David's experiments are all just different mechanisms for sublimating mortal flesh into something more like the divine. It's just that in the alien universe, god hates you specifically.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

After hours of quiet contemplation, I have concluded that I am canon.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The Xenomrph is god and the black goo, face hugger, and David's experiments are all just different mechanisms for sublimating mortal flesh into something more like the divine. It's just that in the alien universe, god hates you specifically.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Xenomrph posted:

Exactly. The prequels take a weird and ancient crashed extraterrestrial spacecraft carrying strange ancient horrors beyond imagination (with the implication that other such monsters could be lurking elsewhere in the dark, awaiting some luckless victims to stumble across them) and rewrites the weird extraterrestrials as literal humans who created terrestrial humanity, and the eldritch horror is only 20 years old and exists in an extremely limited scope. Humanity isn’t alone and insignificant in a cold, vast, and dangerously uncaring universe - they’re the central players in an interstellar vendetta in which they were specially created by “god”.

Like, there are cool ideas in there - humanity learning that it was manufactured and then meeting their “gods” (and said gods hate them) is a cool idea. Those gods visually looking like idealized Roman sculptures is a cool idea. The cyclical motif of creations becoming creators and hating their creations is a cool idea. David creating something that’s meant to harm his creators is a cool idea.

That's just totally false, though. The prequels are what make the xenomorph Lovecraftian (like, specifically shoggoth-type creatures which themselves are an emergent property of some sort of cosmic Azathoth-esque generative principle). If you ignore Prometheus and Covenant then they're basically big wasps.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MonsieurChoc posted:

He created an alien.

THE alien

It is canon therefore fact!! canon does not lie! Canon is love. Canon is life.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

THE alien

It is canon therefore fact!! canon does not lie! Canon is love. Canon is life.

See my post above. :colbert:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

they're basically big wasps.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ferrinus posted:

That's just totally false, though. The prequels are what make the xenomorph Lovecraftian (like, specifically shoggoth-type creatures which themselves are an emergent property of some sort of cosmic Azathoth-esque generative principle). If you ignore Prometheus and Covenant then they're basically big wasps.

Gonna take the time to restate this: if you're a fan of Aliens and you haven't watched Them! (1954) then you are depriving yourself something fierce.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

canon is only what i accept.

david did not create the alien. the spacey jockey is not a pale bald bodybuilder.