Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mikl posted:

Modern Kevin & Kell

Yeah you're right because there's nothing in the rules about hand-tending either. Not to mention "catching a rebound" or "dunking the ball" aren't goaltending either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's an unfortunate place to cut the T.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"Yeah? Maybe I want you to answer some questions before I do that. rear end in a top hat."

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (November 28, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (November 28, 1999)

Garfield Classic (November 28, 1989)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/14/01

Brenda Starr 1/19/47

Smokey Stover 11/1/42

Bonus Ad! Cheerios used to have a slightly longer name and a cartoon mascot.

The idea of the FDA providing a recommended daily allowance of various nutrients was brand new at the time this ad came out.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nah Sluggo the trick is to write your own bullshit book to sell

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "196 - Jucika's Discreet Phone"

Jucika just putting her whole rear end out there today.

"197 - Jucika Is Friend Of The Animals"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Cruel Little Stories

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Can someone remind me what's wrong with Bruno again? Good with orgasms, emotionally supportive, sees a serious future for the relationship. My only negative is likes to cook breakfast in the nude, and I got the impression that was only really an issue when company is over.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: taking down the mob (January 13-19, 2003)

Killing other sentient creatures for profit? That's bad but hey, everyone's gotta make a living.

But failing to uphold government regulations about said murder? Now you've gone too far!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

Can someone remind me what's wrong with Bruno again? Good with orgasms, emotionally supportive, sees a serious future for the relationship. My only negative is likes to cook breakfast in the nude, and I got the impression that was only really an issue when company is over.

Of low blood. :britain:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I'd guess Shelly is afraid of commitment.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Some Guy TT posted:

He's a steady, supportive rock of a man and Shelley is not ready for that sort of commitment at this point in her life, or maybe even ever given how we see her life go. Literally, there is nothing 'wrong' with Bruno, they just have different plans for the future and Bruno proposing was I think the point at which Shelley realized she was going to have to either make a serious commitment or be prepared to do a lot of talking about where they're going, or break up with him. And we know which one she picked! I don't think either of them is wrong in that specific situation, it just could have been less public and awkward and Shelley should have told her friends to stop being rear end in a top hat about Bruno.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'm playing catchup and just wanted to say that in addition to all its other sins Dustin seems committed to only delivering vintage punchlines circa 1993.

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

Sylvia

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

What kind of miserable person do you have to be to not be able to tolerate a silly conversation about donut holes?

(a person raised in the Kudlick household, obviously, but still)

Kavak posted:

Of low blood. :britain:

Folks seem to have gotten pretty fixated on this, but I got the impression that the main cast were weird about Bruno less because of his low class and more because he's a giant rock of a man who doesn't really talk very much around them and they're physically intimidated by him. You can't rule classism out completely, of course, it's shown up in other stories in the Bobbinsverse as well. I just don't think that's anything close to the whole picture.

PetraCore posted:

He's a steady, supportive rock of a man and Shelley is not ready for that sort of commitment at this point in her life, or maybe even ever given how we see her life go. Literally, there is nothing 'wrong' with Bruno, they just have different plans for the future and Bruno proposing was I think the point at which Shelley realized she was going to have to either make a serious commitment or be prepared to do a lot of talking about where they're going, or break up with him. And we know which one she picked! I don't think either of them is wrong in that specific situation, it just could have been less public and awkward and Shelley should have told her friends to stop being rear end in a top hat about Bruno.

This is how it read to me as well. I think even well into her 30's Shelley isn't interested in a permanent relationship, and certainly wasn't prepared for it at this stage in her life.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Died! August 24, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True October 3, 1918

Gay and Her Gang September 30, 1929

Oaky Doaks March 2, 1936

Mopsy May 1, 1937

Up Front June 13, 1944

Dark Laughter March 13, 1948

Those Were the Days October 21, 1953

Wee Pals November 20, 1965

Dogbert March 30, 1966

I believe that’s Morrie’s zip in Oakland, CA.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (September, 1996)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Slammy posted:

Up Front June 13, 1944

Oh this is cute, I really like this.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

EasyEW posted:

It's easy to miss, but Scribbly is actually original material done up to look like a Sunday page, as written and drawn by a 19 year-old future industry legend named Sheldon Mayer.

Mayer worked for Max Gaines, and when Gaines struck out on his own to found All-American Comics, Mayer followed him. Gaines' company eventually merged with National Publications to form DC Comics, which is how Scribbly Jibbet, the boy cartoonist who made it to press before Superman, made the cut for Earth 2 (and is still showing up in the DCU).
Neat, thanks for the historical info!

Docks

Retail

Popcom

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

FoxTrot

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: taking down the mob (January 13-19, 2003)

Well. This was certainly a choice for this storyline's villain.

PetraCore posted:

I respect how Shelley didn't feel she had to change what she wanted out of life and settle for marrying Bruno. I don't know if Shelley knows what she wants out of life at this point but it's nice to see her sticking to her guns in this case. And yeah, she really should've been more firm in telling her friends to stop being assholes toward Bruno, though I doubt even that would deter them from talking behind their backs.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

amigolupus posted:

Well. This was certainly a choice for this storyline's villain.

I respect how Shelley didn't feel she had to change what she wanted out of life and settle for marrying Bruno. I don't know if Shelley knows what she wants out of life at this point but it's nice to see her sticking to her guns in this case. And yeah, she really should've been more firm in telling her friends to stop being assholes toward Bruno, though I doubt even that would deter them from talking behind their backs.

The dude she’s having coffee with seems to be a bit of doormat and trying to play it cool. She’s rather cruel to string him along.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Nah they're genuinely friends and they're chatting. Ryan and Shelly are pals, Ryan becomes a teacher and marries Amy, Amy and Shelly are besties, etc. Ryan is probably the most benevolent of the Scary Go Round crew.

But agreed that Bruno is a proper chap and probably a good friend.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ryan is a broken human at this point. He is not playing that game.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

I, ah, think that could be a really cool exhibit though

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This speaks to me, professionally

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
E: No Crabgrass for today. This was yesterday's.

Old School Peanuts (Dec 2, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 29-30, 1989)

Calvin's dad making up bullshit to explain how the world works is some of my favorite stuff in the strip. I have vowed to someday tell my own children that I purchased them while on sale at K mart even though I'm pretty sure K marts don't actually exist anymore ("Look, yes, I admit you were a bit past the expiration date when I got around to assembling you but it turned out mostly fine didn't it!?").

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 15, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (September, 1996)

I very much appreciate "fish are biting like gently caress."

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I know this is just being needlessly pedantic but thaaaaaat's not how fossils work, unless he wanted to get morbid and show a bunch of dinosaurs burying their dismembered friends as a joke.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

readingatwork posted:

Calvin's dad making up bullshit to explain how the world works is some of my favorite stuff in the strip. I have vowed to someday tell my own children that I purchased them while on sale at K mart even though I'm pretty sure K marts don't actually exist anymore ("Look, yes, I admit you were a bit past the expiration date when I got around to assembling you but it turned out mostly fine didn't it!?").
:agreed: and that one in particular is probably my favorite.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

I'm legitimately curious if they are leaving this story for now or if this continues tomorrow. This seems like the kind of thing they'd come back to 6 months or a year from now.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Take that, Moon!

Rex Morgan MD

If it turns out she's pregnant I'm dropping this strip.

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Flash Forward

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

I think that’s yesterday’s Crabgrass

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the fanciful house

That place reminds me of the first couple of student dorms/flats I lived in.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

If you eat a fish pie and it gets you real high, that’s a a moray

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon