Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is that using the Keywords feature? Will it work with vids and be reflected in Google Photos / Windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I’m unclear on something with the Adobe price increase since they are still offering the old pricing. Will they jack up our bills automatically and then we have to reenroll at the lower price point or is the doubles price just if new people are signing up? I am totally not on board with 240 dollars a year and at the price I’ll just buy software rather than essentially rent it for a compatible price but paying it every year and never owning it. He’ll, that was why I stayed with Adobe over Capture 1 since what they were charging was more palatable. I’m not super happy about Capture 1’s business practices either since I had an issue with them in the last but Adobe is being really lovely raising the price and citing storage as the reason when storage is dirt cheap. My main thing though is if I can stay enrolled until it is mandatory that 20/month is the price or if they are just going to charge me that without any input from me saying I’m ok with it so thanks for any info since I’m not seeing it in any articles I’m reading.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
There isn't an Adobe price increase. It looks like they were doing some A/B testing on their site with showing different plans to new subscribers. The old :10bux: plan is still there, and if it doesn't show up for you then you can buy it by contacting support. In any case, if you have a current plan, it doesn't change.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Looten Plunder posted:

Is that using the Keywords feature? Will it work with vids and be reflected in Google Photos / Windows?

Yes, LR's keywords show up as Tags in Windows. Google Photos pisses me right off with the automatic album creation bullshit so I avoid opening that program at all.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Helen Highwater posted:

There isn't an Adobe price increase. It looks like they were doing some A/B testing on their site with showing different plans to new subscribers. The old :10bux: plan is still there, and if it doesn't show up for you then you can buy it by contacting support. In any case, if you have a current plan, it doesn't change.

Yeah this has been sensationalised a bit, and an Adobe spokesperson was doing damage control in an 'updated' news article I saw somewhere.
I just went to the Creative Cloud product page now and see the 20GB Photography plan for $10.

Not that I'm defending them at all. I may also reconsider at $20/m, and should hopefully the C1 50% pricing is still active at that point :q:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
They do some really weird poo poo with their pricing sometimes. For a while I had the Lightroom/Photoshopped/20GB subscription but then they started dangling a storage upgrade to 1TB for five bucks more a month. Whenever I’d try and buy it though the transaction would fail. Tried again after a few weeks and it went through. Seems like they’re constantly changing their offerings as I don’t even see that plan listed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seems like a really sound business model, toss your prices into a blender every so often and spend a week getting poo poo on by the internet for doubling the price for no reason.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

xzzy posted:

Seems like a really sound business model, toss your prices into a blender every so often and spend a week getting poo poo on by the internet for doubling the price for no reason.

When you have the monopoly that adobe have you can do what you like.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get that, but their monopoly is eroding. The alternative photo processing packages have real momentum right now and I see people advocating for them way more than LR.

Obviously they still have a stranglehold with Photoshop and Premiere and that'll keep them going for a lot longer but it seems real shortsighted to actively push LR users away.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thanks for the info.

Regarding the monopoly, for a certain market yes. At a certain level people are probably not going to leave adobe for any reason. However, I’m guessing a large portion of the 10$/month crowd are enthusiasts and not people making a living from studio photography, editing and so on. Another company could totally swoop up those people with a smart, attractive price option on a Lightroom replacement. I thought Capture One was poised to do that but then they raised their prices. With the amount of bad press Adobe is getting right now it seems like someone could scoop up those disgruntled customers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Luminar's latest release has been getting some pretty good reviews, but another goon says they've been seeing performance issues with the latest.

But either way it is another option that seems promising.

On1 and DxO are out there too.

Not suggesting anything is going to topple Adobe any time soon but they've definitely got competition now which I don't think was a reality 5+ years ago.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Adding onto Lightroom dogpile:

I'm trying to edit some things and in sharing some photos I'd taken, came across lightroom displaying my images taken different on different monitors. I would assume this was simply the two of them being out of whack, but both monitors are capable of displaying effectively the same image if I hover it close to but not quite between the two screens. One is definitely bluer and truer to the actual lighting, the other, more orange, but if I place the lightroom window right I will be able to see either example of the image on either screen. I can see it actively adjusting the colours when it's placed on one monitor over the other. It all exports the same, mind. The exported images otherwise look identical on either monitor. No differences in tone, saturation, etc.

What gives? Is this some obscure setting or simply lightroom being obnoxious?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Is this in the library or in develop mode?

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

jarlywarly posted:

Is this in the library or in develop mode?

Just in develop it looks like. When I've the images as a library, they all display normally on either monitor.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It sounds like calibration is off or one of the screens doesn't work in the same color space.

But I'm not getting a clear concept of what your problem is either, so I could be way off.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Haha, sorry, I'll provide some images to help.

Unedited image, reflecting what's visible on my left monitor, what shows up in my viewfinder, how it displays on camera, what gets exported, etc. The "true" image.

This is just a screenshot from my right monitor. If I drag Lightroom over from the left to right, this is what displays after it adjusts from the first image. Noticeably, well, orange.

This is what happens if I just hover the Lightroom window from dragging it over from the left to right monitor. Colours are all right and true to the eye, etc. I've the image displaying on both left and right monitors simultaneously, and it's displaying the tones from whatever monitor I dragged it from. In this case, it's from left (the 1st image) to the right (which gets adjusted to the second image). It's only after I drop the window that I see the adjustment actively being made (i.e. it just tone shifts it to the 2nd image).

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Absolutely not making GBS threads on you for posting this issue here, but I would like to mention that the Post Processing thread always needs love.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well then I have the same guess. :v:

Calibration on the right monitor is out of agreement with the left monitor. Due to the way the OS handles dragging windows between screens (technically, harder than it sounds) the calibration doesn't update until you drag the window far enough into the second monitor that the OS decides it is fully on that screen and can apply that screen's color profile.

The only surprise to me is that this would suggest calibration is applied on a per-application basis, but that's not completely crazy. It might also have to do with the fact that LR's working colorspace is ProPhoto RGB, that might cause complications with the way the OS does the monitor swapping process.

Then when you export a jpeg it's an AdobeRGB or SRGB color space and it looks the same on both screens.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Seems like it's a known issue with my monitor. Can't even change the colour profile of it and crude calibration stuff turns up nothing overtly weird. Looks like I just asked myself an expensive question. :v:

Thanks everybody!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
re: Adobe talk

I recently attended a workshop by two pro photographers who did know their stuff and have quite a following... but they were using pirated copies of Lightroom/Photoshop.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Schneider Heim posted:

but they were using pirated copies of Lightroom/Photoshop.

They’re smarter than me then. I won’t ever shed a tear for that company.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

Yes, LR's keywords show up as Tags in Windows. Google Photos pisses me right off with the automatic album creation bullshit so I avoid opening that program at all.

Can you give me some more info on how to do so? I did some over the weekend and wasn't able to get the tags to show in Windows. The "status" in the Metadata sidebar seems to indicate "complete", "up to date" or something similar but if i click on it it comes up with an error like "there was an error writing the metadata" or some similar message. I've done some Googleing and I've ensured the "write to XMP file" option in preferences is checked but I still haven't had any luck. Some other results seem to say that Lightroom has issues updating metadata/tags on videos but then I found a table on Wikipedia and it seems to indicate that .mov and .mp4 files are fine with having metadata info written to them.

It turns out the system for tagging in Windows Photo Gallery is actually pretty decent so I've started doing it this way, but I'd still like to know what I'm doing wrong in Lightroom.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trip report: finally got the USB -> serial -> camera setup working, I can now take a photo every 1.08 seconds, which is within our precision so I'm gonna take it as a win. Thanks for the help everyone.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I need to print out some pictures probably around passport size to hang from a small metal tree and other items for a celebration of life service at the end of next week. Anyone know a reliable service that can then that kinda thing around quickly and do a good job?

I probably won’t even have the order ready to go for a few days as I have to sift through a lot of pics that I’ve been sent. Don’t want to gently caress this up either.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
In most European towns there are chains like Cewe that sell basic photo stuff and that will print photos onto pretty much anything from big canvas prints to fabric printing on cushions and t-shirts to printing on mugs and other items. I'm pretty sure that a place like that could print onto some clear perspex keyfobs or similar.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

On the flip side, what would you recommend for really big prints? I just got an 80mp shot that I'm really happy with. I have 0 experience getting prints done apart from 5x7" family photos from Walgreens.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I'd say it depends on what you want to do with it. If you just want a reasonably high quality print on canvas, heavy paper, or foamboard to hang on the wall behind the couch, then there are probably a bunch of high-street stores that can handle that - similar to the kind of place I linked previously. Many places will let you upload your picture and do some basic pre-press editing in a webpage as part of the online ordering process.

If you want an archival-quality print on really nice paper where the print job is run by someone who knows what the gently caress they are doing, then you need to find the printshop which is turning out the stuff that gets hung in the gallery exhibitions in your town. Talk to the gallery owners and see who they recommend. Depending on the situation, this option may actually be cheaper than the lower-quality volume printer in the first option.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Does anybody have a spreadsheet of what actual features Photoshop CS6 does not have compared to the later editions of CC? I'm paring down my personal expenses and I'm probably going to cut loose from Adobe subscriptions in favor of capture one and DaVinci Resolve instead of LR and Premiere, since those are both one time purchase software, but I do a lot of weird digital photomanipulation stuff for my personal works and I want to know what I would actually, materially, be losing in the downgrade.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Looten Plunder posted:

Can you give me some more info on how to do so? I did some over the weekend and wasn't able to get the tags to show in Windows. The "status" in the Metadata sidebar seems to indicate "complete", "up to date" or something similar but if i click on it it comes up with an error like "there was an error writing the metadata" or some similar message. I've done some Googleing and I've ensured the "write to XMP file" option in preferences is checked but I still haven't had any luck. Some other results seem to say that Lightroom has issues updating metadata/tags on videos but then I found a table on Wikipedia and it seems to indicate that .mov and .mp4 files are fine with having metadata info written to them.

It turns out the system for tagging in Windows Photo Gallery is actually pretty decent so I've started doing it this way, but I'd still like to know what I'm doing wrong in Lightroom.

I haven't used LightRoom since version 3.6 and Windows 7. I remember being happy to find that when I added keywords to my photos in LR then exported them as JPG, Windows could see those same keywords when I right-clicked and selected "properties". I don't remember the exact export settings I was using.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Portfolio thread is closed so I am asking here.

Does anyone know of any self-hosted portfolio+blog software that has a lot of theme options and includes the ability to sell prints? I know the big ones are SmugMug and Zenfolio but they obviously do not allow self hosting. I found Koken and it looks alright but I worry it's a dead project (their last update was 2 years ago). I'd also rather not mess with Wordpress. I want it to be self hosted because I am already paying for web hosting and I'd rather save money.

I guess selling prints would be a "nice to have" feature but not required. Any other suggestions?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Helen Highwater posted:

I'd say it depends on what you want to do with it. If you just want a reasonably high quality print on canvas, heavy paper, or foamboard to hang on the wall behind the couch, then there are probably a bunch of high-street stores that can handle that - similar to the kind of place I linked previously. Many places will let you upload your picture and do some basic pre-press editing in a webpage as part of the online ordering process.

If you want an archival-quality print on really nice paper where the print job is run by someone who knows what the gently caress they are doing, then you need to find the printshop which is turning out the stuff that gets hung in the gallery exhibitions in your town. Talk to the gallery owners and see who they recommend. Depending on the situation, this option may actually be cheaper than the lower-quality volume printer in the first option.

Just something to display at home. I'd like it to be nice and last a while, but also don't want to go overboard with it. Been poking around at websites like Bay Photo and not sure where the sweet spot is regarding price/quality/longevity. The prices seem to vary quite a bit.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Rat posted:

Just something to display at home. I'd like it to be nice and last a while, but also don't want to go overboard with it. Been poking around at websites like Bay Photo and not sure where the sweet spot is regarding price/quality/longevity. The prices seem to vary quite a bit.

Adorama Pix. I’ve gotten about 6 prints from them in varying sizes and paper. They’re all excellent.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

if you live anywhere near a reasonably sized city you should be able to find a print shop

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So to get my big batch of wallet-sized photos printed I'm going to have to make up a contact sheet style 8x10 or similar and then chop them up by hand. Anyone know if there's an easy template or something in Photoshop to make this not a pain in the rear end task? I presume something involving guides and then just snap and resize my sources to fit (I'm having to take peoples cellphone pics and crop and adjust), but want to make sure I don't overcomplicate something that should be straightforward. I don't have much time to turn this around.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Photoshop has a built in script or action called contact sheet II

You can set row and column and spacing and text and image quality and size then you press go and it’s done

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Perfect! Thanks a ton.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

https://www.ft.com/content/e81096de-726b-11e9-bf5c-6eeb837566c5

a good read

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Takes me to a subscription page.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

try googling for financial times stephen shore, I was able to get it that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah cool that works, and I like Stephen Shore's work so this has ended well!