Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sulecrist posted:

don't write like this

Psssh, what you quoted is fine grammatically. It looks like a double negative but it's actually not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

entris posted:

Psssh, what you quoted is fine grammatically. It looks like a double negative but it's actually not.

being fine grammatically and stylistically are two different matters, though

on the law school being the worst decision talk so far I'm okay with this law school thing, it got me out of the terrible place I lived and into a cool city

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

being fine grammatically and stylistically are two different matters, though

When writing, according to Elmore Leonard, you should never let proper get in the way of good.

(Pithily, I agree.)

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

The Warszawa posted:

When writing, according to Elmore Leonard, you should never let proper get in the way of good.

(Pithily, I agree.)

It's not like the writing in this thread is filet mignon or anything though. Also MEET ME BY THE DUCKS I'm glad you're not miserable about going to Harvard.

Edit: But seriously I'm glad you're happy in Boston

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 23, 2011

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I still don't understand why there is a writing component to every, or just about every, journal competition. As far as I can tell, all journal cares about from me is being good at editing and being competent enough to turn things in on or before deadlines. And because our competition had an editing section that was both textual and Bluebook, my ability to compose a note seems to have little relevance to my work on journal.

Even if my academic credit is technically only for my note, I'm fairly convinced that my writing skill--to the extent not measured by a textual editing exercise--is not important or relevant enough to justify the time and effort for applicants to compose and for the Editorial Board to review the sea of writing submissions.

I suppose the written portion helps evaluate if an applicant knows when to add a cite, but if that's a real concern just make the competition a closed cite check. Which is basically a minor shift from a pure textual and Bluebook editing section.

Also, Crim Pro is basically all the fun stuff that 1Ls thought Con Law would be about. This class is rockin'.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Just throwing this out there without any knowledge of the legal requirements of educational non-profit status: Does the fact that law schools have to give 25-30% of their income back to their parent universities mean that they're actually being run for profit? Everyone knows that law schools are being used as cash cows for their universities. If law schools are being forced to raise tuition in order to subsidize the rest of the university, aren't they being forced to run at a profit that doesn't benefit their students?

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

The Warszawa posted:

(Pithily, I agree.)

*smokes pipe*

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

atlas of bugs posted:

*smokes pipe*

hey you're up new york way right? want to get something approximating a drink on the 6th? we can talk about the choices we made.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

atlas of bugs posted:

*smokes pipe*

Who is in your avatar

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

atlas of bugs posted:

*smokes pipe*

*adjusts monacle*

Yes, servant boy, fetch me another brandy.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Well, OCI is finally over. A momentary respite until I have to start getting ready for callbacks.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Holland Oats posted:

Just throwing this out there without any knowledge of the legal requirements of educational non-profit status: Does the fact that law schools have to give 25-30% of their income back to their parent universities mean that they're actually being run for profit? Everyone knows that law schools are being used as cash cows for their universities. If law schools are being forced to raise tuition in order to subsidize the rest of the university, aren't they being forced to run at a profit that doesn't benefit their students?

I'm pretty sure showing that law schools are for profit is, like, ninety percent of the point of this thread. Of course they're for profit. So are the ABA and sally mae. The only people who aren't sucking from the teet of that cash cow are the students.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

quote:

Who is in your avatar

same girl as last time, deborah an wohl or something

quote:

*adjusts monacle*

Yes, servant boy, fetch me another brandy.

my only master is Art, and I its devoted servant

quote:

hey you're up new york way right? want to get something approximating a drink on the 6th? we can talk about the choices we made.

yes we will do this

first I got to get settled and maybe do some apartment shopping with my IBR cash

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

BigHead posted:

I'm pretty sure showing that law schools are for profit is, like, ninety percent of the point of this thread. Of course they're for profit. So are the ABA and sally mae. The only people who aren't sucking from the teet of that cash cow are the students.

speak for yourself

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

atlas of bugs posted:

yes we will do this

first I got to get settled and maybe do some apartment shopping with my IBR cash

I'm gonna be around the same time actually.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

on the law school being the worst decision talk so far I'm okay with this law school thing, it got me out of the terrible place I lived and into a cool city

cool I'm glad Harvard Law School is working out for you
want to stomp your face irl

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
The Warszawa,

would you recommend Yale Law School to prospective students? I'm kind of on the fence. Thank you

nude tayne
Jul 25, 2001
THIS ISN'T ROCKET SURGERY!
Anyone else working in public interest/policy? I'm at a small enviro non-profit and want to compare notes.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ragle posted:

The Warszawa,

would you recommend Yale Law School to prospective students? I'm kind of on the fence. Thank you

I mean, I like it a lot, it got me out of a boring place (Manhattan) and into an awesome city (New Haven).

Sbull posted:

Anyone else working in public interest/policy? I'm at a small enviro non-profit and want to compare notes.

Summer or full-time?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

ragle posted:

I want to add value instead of emptyquoting so I'm capitalizing, using punctuation and oxford commas, and providing a link to the first Above the Law story available, which, I suspect, connotes onion-like layers of meaning.

EDIT: MMBD visit chat sometime

nude tayne
Jul 25, 2001

The Warszawa posted:

I mean, I like it a lot, it got me out of a boring place (Manhattan) and into an awesome city (New Haven).

Summer or full-time?

full time

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

ragle posted:

If it makes you feel better (it won't,) I have a friend who graduated jobless, I've spoken to an alum who couldn't get a thing till she passed the bar, and I'm still looking as a 3L.

What I really want to stress is that HLS attracts lots of superstars, it is built around those superstars, and it gives those superstars the tools they need to get onto the Supreme Court, into the major financial centers, into the White House, wherever they'd like to go. Those of us who just happened to do well on the LSAT, on the other hand, find that there's a certain disconnect between the school's public perception and the actual opportunities that it opens up.

Maybe that's a result of heightened expectations, maybe that's a result of being a horrible sperglord--I won't speculate on the reason for that truism. But it does make it annoying to hear 'oh, you're at Harvard, you'll be fine.' I have a harder and harder time seeing that as anything but a microcosm of the old "just go to law school and you'll be fine" canard that got the legal market into this mess in the first place.

quotison
Dec 29, 2005

don't hit your head

Holland Oats posted:

Plenty of nonprofits make excess money providing one service and then funnel that money back in order to provide another. For example: PBS, tote bags, and broadcasting.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Red Bean Juice posted:

If it makes you feel better (it won't,) I have a friend who graduated jobless, I've spoken to an alum who couldn't get a thing till she passed the bar, and I'm still looking as a 3L.

What I really want to stress is that HLS attracts lots of superstars, it is built around those superstars, and it gives those superstars the tools they need to get onto the Supreme Court, into the major financial centers, into the White House, wherever they'd like to go. Those of us who just happened to do well on the LSAT, on the other hand, find that there's a certain disconnect between the school's public perception and the actual opportunities that it opens up.

Maybe that's a result of heightened expectations, maybe that's a result of being a horrible sperglord--I won't speculate on the reason for that truism. But it does make it annoying to hear 'oh, you're at Harvard, you'll be fine.' I have a harder and harder time seeing that as anything but a microcosm of the old "just go to law school and you'll be fine" canard that got the legal market into this mess in the first place.

poo poo dude, condolences

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Red Bean Juice posted:

Waah

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Red Bean Juice posted:

yeah I'm basically this (not a full on sperglord but I am a goon, so) and probably the farthest from a "superstar" that HLS has so I'm basically not much better off than any other T14 student and I'm a nervous wreck hoping the economy doesn't go from bad to worse again

don't get me wrong I'm not TTT nervous but at least people at a TTT should have known better. the HLS issue is a lot more subtle. I mean, the HLS letterhead or whatever might have certain firms look at my resume that might otherwise not, but it's still a weak resume and they'll likely pass on me, it's simply that the resume won't be immediately trashed without even a passing glance

I dunno I feel like I need to do something to avoid the RBJ + related HLS company problem but I'm not exactly sure what that is beyond "get good grades." and given grading and it being HLS, yeah, okay, not counting on that.

RBJ save me with the wisdom of your HLS experiences. I don't have lawyerly manga art skills to fall back on

topheryan fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 24, 2011

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

don't get me wrong I'm not TTT nervous but at least people at a TTT should have known better. the HLS issue is a lot more subtle.

How is it even possible to whine and brag at the same time?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Copernic posted:

And condescend. HLS is the home of the hat trick.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Red Bean Juice posted:

duke career services used one of your comics in a presentation today

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Sulecrist posted:

duke career services used one of your comics in a presentation today

ironically I started drawing for bitter lawyer in part because HLS career services used one of their videos in a presentation last year

(which comic was it)

(was it the one with the swears)

quote:

RBJ save me with the wisdom of your HLS experiences. I don't have lawyerly manga art skills to fall back on

to my knowledge it seems to be a matter of having good outlines and avoiding gunnerly classes, the latter you can't do much about as a 1L, so make friends with really smart upperclassmen I guess!

Bro Enlai fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 24, 2011

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Copernic posted:

I'm not saying every TTT student. just any in this thread who have read the thread and still end up going.

I'm definitely whining because seriously what else is this thread about.

I don't know about the bragging thing. getting into a good school is just lsat/gpa and being good with those is nothing to brag about. being good at standardized tests is a pretty arbitrary and useless talent in the scheme of things (also when it comes to employment)

Red Bean Juice posted:

to my knowledge it seems to be a matter of having good outlines and avoiding gunnerly classes, the latter you can't do much about as a 1L, so make friends with really smart upperclassmen I guess!

so do I want some HLS superstar geniuses' outline or is it a matter of obsessively crafting my own

as a side note this law school thing is starting at a very inconvenient time, I just want to sit down and play deux ex human revolution. this bodes well for my future prospects in the field of law

topheryan fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 24, 2011

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Speaking of the economy and cause for concern, has anyone read Susskind's The End of Lawyers? I'm gradually picking my way through it (there always seem to be more interesting things demanding my attention) and am curious if anyone else has impressions of it.

nude tayne
Jul 25, 2001

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

it's simply that the resume won't be immediately trashed without even a passing glance

I really hate this thread. It seems like every 6 months I read it, the page I manage to chime in on has something like this. You are why a lot of people hate ivy leaguers.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Sbull posted:

I really hate this thread. It seems like every 6 months I read it, the page I manage to chime in on has something like this. You are why a lot of people hate ivy leaguers.

haha what about this is so frustrating? I come from one of the worst state schools in the country and just moved into an ivy league today. whatever you're reading into this isn't some ivy league elitism. or do you really think ivy leaguers are better off just because their resume is glanced at for five seconds before being trashed and a TTT app doesn't?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

as a side note this law school thing is starting at a very inconvenient time, I just want to sit down and play deux ex human revolution. this bodes well for my future prospects in the field of law
Since I'm unemployed, I have all the time I want to play it, owned much?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Sbull posted:

That dude finds some way to remind everyone that he is a 0L at harvard in every single one of his posts. If you ignore his dick waving, the rest of the thread is still doomsaying, fire, and poverty all rolled into one convenient locale.

nude tayne
Jul 25, 2001

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

haha what about this is so frustrating? I come from one of the worst state schools in the country and just moved into an ivy league today. whatever you're reading into this isn't some ivy league elitism. or do you really think ivy leaguers are better off just because their resume is glanced at for five seconds before being trashed and a TTT app doesn't?

i dont think you read me correctly. most HLS people ive met are incredibly humble and talented. thats probably because i work in public interest, though. others who are not give them a really bad name.

BigHead posted:

That dude finds some way to remind everyone that he is a 0L at harvard in every single one of his posts. If you ignore his dick waving, the rest of the thread is still doomsaying, fire, and poverty all rolled into one convenient locale.

fair enough. ive always been into post-apocalyptic non-fiction, too...

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
The school someone goes to has nothing to do with their character. I guarantee that a douchebag was a was like that long before he ever went to a good school. I seriously doubt that attending an Ivy could magically turn a decent person into a tool.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Holland Oats posted:

The school someone goes to has nothing to do with their character. I guarantee that a douchebag was a was like that long before he ever went to a good school. I seriously doubt that attending an Ivy could magically turn a decent person into a tool.

The Ivies have a way of magnifying douche tendencies that lay dormant for years, even decades. A week in the post-prep jungles of Harvard and it's all Sperry topsiders and yacht races, man. It's like Lord of the Flies, only more savage and less compelling (and minus the remorseful conclusion because the douche tendencies eat away at self-awareness like a cancer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holylemon
May 24, 2004

Dude, have you ever touched a dolphin?

Fun Shoe

Lilosh posted:

What I meant was that it wasn't exactly clear to us what rubric was used to evaluate our work. They just told us to write a XX page note and edit XX pages of a godawful intentionally-bad note. The description of how our entries were being evaluated/rated/ranked was kind of a black-box.

Write note + edit test ---> ?????? ----> Writing competition score!

It's mostly a few of my friends who were consistently amazing writers that surprised me by not being on LR. The LR and journal people always said "Oh don't worry about how it's scored. If you're the kind of student who is at the top of your class, it's almost always the case that your writing is great!"

Let's not even get into the fact that it's an entirely different kind of writing than we're taught in LRW, and we're given little, if any, time to practice it, and that our 10-day writing competition comes literally the day after our last final. You post had a lot of valid points about the entitlement attitude of law students, but in some ways, this system is hosed.

See, I often forget that other law journals make people write a note or comment for their writing competition. I agree that it's totally stupid - how is a 1L supposed to know how to write a note, much less write a good one when given an incredibly limited amount of time in which to do so? My school has people write an LWR-style memo, which I think makes a lot more sense because 1Ls actually understand what makes one of those good or bad.

I would kill myself if I had to sit down and read a bunch of student notes cranked out during a writing competition. Seriously, I have no idea why the law reviews at schools like that haven't revolted by now.