Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Didn't he also say something snide about about the fact that they had a woman doing the calls for Sunday Baseball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I think he called out Jessica Mendoza which is a terrible idea for a whole series of reasons

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
ESPN will generally suspend and slap on the wrist for political and other thoughts they don't want to deal with PR for.

But if you work for them and criticize management or things they are trying to push they will dead you. (Word to Bill Simmons)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Yeah I think he called out Jessica Mendoza which is a terrible idea for a whole series of reasons

One of which is that she's way better at the job than he was

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

One of which is that she's way better at the job than he was

seriously, I caught a couple broadcasts she was on and she was great

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SBNation site managers have leaked more info to Deadspin. It's about what you'd expect. "No, we're not paying you much. Do it for the love. Hit your quotas."

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Charles Pierce literally owns at everything and I dread the day he is no longer with us

he was on jonah keri's podcast recently and they made plenty of really good political points

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
1. Tom Brady is good
2. There are some smart guys at Harvard
3. The Red Sox are good

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DJExile posted:

SBNation site managers have leaked more info to Deadspin. It's about what you'd expect. "No, we're not paying you much. Do it for the love. Hit your quotas."

Their model is lovely, but also lol Deadspin comes across salty af on these

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Why? Doesn't deadspin actually pay the people who write for the site?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ElwoodCuse posted:

Why? Doesn't deadspin actually pay the people who write for the site?

I also believe they're unionized too.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

General Dog posted:

Their model is lovely, but also lol Deadspin comes across salty af on these

Huh? Most of the Article is like a direct quote from SB Nation emails

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hot tip:

Stop Responding To General Dog

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He has a point in that Deadspin often seems out to destroy their competition, but it doesn't mean they're not in the right here. Elena Bergeron's response on twitter was not great either.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I just think it's kind of a bad look for them to call out a rival publication like that, especially one that's beating the hell out of them in the quality department right now, unpaid or not.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that's not calling out SBNation, that's confirmation of what most people suspected, that a site isn't paying their drat writers.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Deadspin/Gawker's media criticism has basically always been a mix of "mostly correct" and "transparently self-serving"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

morestuff posted:

Deadspin/Gawker's media criticism has basically always been a mix of "mostly correct" and "transparently self-serving"

sure, but that's true of basically any blog or news org that criticizes anyone else though

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

morestuff posted:

I can agree with this.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Without rivals reporting on each other how in the hell would any wrong doing ever get reported.

It's why it's such a problem when a news org does something bad but they are the only news org or paper in the town so hey can easily silence anything.

Sure it's somewhat self serving as it makes them look better. But I'm pretty sure they aren't under the illusion they are going to kill one of the biggest sports sites around. They are just kinda reporting on how SB Nation treats and exploits their contributors.

Like the Root another vertical has had some articles recently about how Ebony has not paid a number of writers for work over the past couple of years.

This type of reporting on other media outlets is something that should happen more if hosed up things are going on.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

One of Root's subsites (VSB i think) flat out calls out Jezebel at times. It's really something

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

DJExile posted:

One of Root's subsites (VSB i think) flat out calls out Jezebel at times. It's really something

VSB owns and I'm glad Gizmodo let them keep their style and stay themselves.

Comment section is less fun than the old site though.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

http://deadspin.com/don-ohlmeyer-aired-an-nfl-game-without-announcers-and-t-1805869735

This is a really good read and I was shocked that I didn't hear about Ohlmeyer passing away Sunday.. poo poo, I never even heard he had cancer.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Dexo posted:

Without rivals reporting on each other how in the hell would any wrong doing ever get reported.

This type of reporting on other media outlets is something that should happen more if hosed up things are going on.

Yep, it was a rival publication that caught Stephen Glass' bullshit in The New Republic.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Akileese posted:

http://deadspin.com/don-ohlmeyer-aired-an-nfl-game-without-announcers-and-t-1805869735

This is a really good read and I was shocked that I didn't hear about Ohlmeyer passing away Sunday.. poo poo, I never even heard he had cancer.

I remember watching clips of this in my media classes in college and it was such a mindfuck. Great read

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/909458325724696577

seriously, hows it goink?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

I don't know the at what point the ratio switches where the advantage is, but they know the switch to video would result in lower page views. Advertisers pay considerably more to advertise in videos than in banner ads per view. I actually assume they are likely in the neighborhood of 10x the CPM of ads in text articles. So the 16 million viewers on video may make more money than 143 million text.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Wouldn't video format result in less unique page views anyway? (If that's what the tweet is even referring to.)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

edit wrong thread

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

What's their budget now compared to before?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

General Dog posted:

What's their budget now compared to before?

Significantly less. They're now going with the model where you pay out the nose for "name" talent and all the support staff doesn't qualify for benefits. What they've done is an extreme way to stop the bleeding of losing money, but whether it prevents any kind of future growth is the real issue. If they can't pull decent numbers during the NFL season, I'd hate to see them in like April.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/909532836591554560

boobs

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
That's rich coming from a guy whose last shot at avoiding having to get an office job is grifting MAGA chuds

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

I don't know the at what point the ratio switches where the advantage is, but they know the switch to video would result in lower page views. Advertisers pay considerably more to advertise in videos than in banner ads per view. I actually assume they are likely in the neighborhood of 10x the CPM of ads in text articles. So the 16 million viewers on video may make more money than 143 million text.

They probably get $40-$70 CPM on video (maybe more) Maybe $5 on text.

I know the "pivot to media" is making writers really angry but it's happening because you can make a boatload more on video ads and it likely costs less to produce.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hahahahaha oh god

http://awfulannouncing.com/online-outlets/incline-freelancer-dave-lozo-criticized-jim-brady.html

https://twitter.com/davelozo/status/908852464975273985

https://twitter.com/davelozo/status/909867139527475200

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I mean on the one hand, dude is absolutely right that Lozo was looking to martyr himself, on the other he really is the dumbest motherfucker alive.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Wasn't Lozo the guy who decided to do Hockey Trade Value Rankings after Simmons had his dumb meltdown at Jonah Keri and wrote the thing up like a terrible Simmons column why the gently caress do I know about all of this good god I've wasted my life

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
A guy who gets into protracted online arguments in which he uses the "I don't even know who you are!" insult multiple times is the public editor for one of the biggest media organizations in the world

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Lost in all of this is the fact that ESPN's ombudsman is the loving CEO of another media company, which is loving bizarre as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mahoning posted:

Lost in all of this is the fact that ESPN's ombudsman is the loving CEO of another media company, which is loving bizarre as poo poo.

ESPN's ombudsman position has been a joke for years.