Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I can't believe I've played through 90% of the game without noticing it but does monster health in 2D mode not get indicated by their names changing colour?

I've now found the Executioner quest and having to guess when to go for the killing blow is going to be a bitch.

Edit: nvm I did it on my second attempt by roughly guessing how many rounds of beatings they took the first time and then using pep pips left over from my metal slime grinding!

Still kind of annoying that that feature is missing though.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Zore posted:

DQ has a long tradition of having time travel bullshit. It happens to some extent in most of the games with the scene you're referencing being a direct callback to DQV.

Like Dragon Quest 7 is entirely about time travel. Which makes Orgodemir really funny to me because the idea of "I've conquered every land except this last island with all the time travel tablets. Eh, good enough."

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Nep-Nep posted:

Like Dragon Quest 7 is entirely about time travel. Which makes Orgodemir really funny to me because the idea of "I've conquered every land except this last island with all the time travel tablets. Eh, good enough."
I mean I assumed it was somehow deliberate because actual God was involved in saving Melvin and all that, maybe God saved the island too?

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Nep-Nep posted:

Well Estard was supposed to be an uninhabited island, so I assume that all got somehow built after the "every island gets sealed" stuff.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Unsure if I was supposed to follow some sequence before going to the Eyrie and getting the Orb but i just went there.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nep-Nep posted:

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be that the Almighty managed to seal away Orgodemir just before his final conquest, and then you go and undo the seal thinking you're unsealing the Almighty.

Dizz posted:

Unsure if I was supposed to follow some sequence before going to the Eyrie and getting the Orb but i just went there.
IIRC, you go to the Academie and get some hints there, then head over to the Eyrie, but yeah, you can just skip the middleman.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dizz posted:

the mini medal academy will kinda softly point you in that direction but yeah, you can just kinda go right in without any story beats telling you to go there

the funniest thing is that's not even the most story-light orb you get, one's just literally behind a locked door which feels old school DQ as gently caress

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

the mini medal academy will kinda softly point you in that direction but yeah, you can just kinda go right in without any story beats telling you to go there

the funniest thing is that's not even the most story-light orb you get, one's just literally behind a locked door which feels old school DQ as gently caress

If that's the one I'm thinking of, there's a teensy bit of story there. Given what used to be there

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

im assuming it's in those ruins earlier on with the damaging puddle floors that are just like, right near a small inn?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

HPanda posted:

If that's the one I'm thinking of, there's a teensy bit of story there. Given what used to be there

oh yeah there's some context and all for why it's there but i had forgotten it was literally just lying there so i had a good laugh when i found it this time aorund

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I don't often buy strategy guides these days, but I would very much like to see non-Japanese versions of guides for DQXI and the new Link's Awakening. I'm a hard-core 100%er/completionist, and I find looking all of that up online to be awkward.

YggiDee posted:

I don't think we had a full guide, but for Dragon Warrior 4 we had fold-up posters that had a world map, dungeon maps for the first four chapters, an illustrated spell and item list, and a monster lost. By the time I got my hands on them they'd been folded and torn and re-taped so many times they were laminated with tape and unreadable at the creases.

There actually is a very small guide, in English, for DW4. I didn't know about it myself until about three years ago. The only guides that I have for 1-3 are for the GBC versions that I don't like, but they work well enough with other versions.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Playing through Dragon Quest III on Switch. Did I screw up by using a bunch of books whenever I got them.

Also should I be reclassing my dues at level 20.

Also it's kind of amazing to me the massive amounts of changes from 1 to 2 to 3. Particularly how much bigger 3 is.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 7, 2019

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

DQIII is perfectly beatable without minmaxing stats, or changing classes on everyone. When I play through, I usually have a Warrior, or whatever that class is named who never changes, a Cleric and a Mage. Usually one of those gets changed to a Sage once I have the item for that, and I ditch the other, and grind a Goof-Off to 20 for another Sage. But I've beaten it before with the initial party of Hero, Warrior, Cleric, and Mage a few times, never changing anyone, and other party formats as well.

With personalities, you don't really want to put an Intelligence based one on a warrior say, but you also don't really have to have the absolute best on everyone.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Managed to do Dora-In-Grey on my first try.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
What level should I be at to comfortably do this god-awful "forge a Queen's Whip +1 or higher" sidequest at the academy?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BearDrivingTruck posted:

What level should I be at to comfortably do this god-awful "forge a Queen's Whip +1 or higher" sidequest at the academy?
I think I just did it right when I got it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Even if you botch it, cant you just use perfectionists pearls?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Commander Keene posted:

I think I just did it right when I got it.

The problem for me is that whips are made of nine million segments and I run out of bashes before even coming close to finishing multiple segments, even with Sizzly Puff.

Barudak posted:

Even if you botch it, cant you just use perfectionists pearls?

The way it's been going, I've been using pearls for no results.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive never used sizzly puff and couldnt tell you what it does, much less I dont even think I had it when I did that quest

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BearDrivingTruck posted:

The problem for me is that whips are made of nine million segments and I run out of bashes before even coming close to finishing multiple segments, even with Sizzly Puff.

The way it's been going, I've been using pearls for no results.

Sizzly puff is almost never worth it. Prioritize the multi-panel bashing skills instead

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just double checked, yeah I absolutely did that quest without sizzily puff. Since I was below the level to unlock it.

As I get further into act 2 all i can say is the new interstitial character chapters in part 2 are not good and mess up the pacing of act 2 for no gain.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I 'unno, I used Sizzly Puff all the time. One or two at the beginning does seem to help.

BearDrivingTruck, if you've got Sizzly Puff, you might just want to gain another few levels, you'll learn a skill that should be really useful for the Queen's Whip.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

AngryRobotsInc posted:

DQIII is perfectly beatable without minmaxing stats, or changing classes on everyone. When I play through, I usually have a Warrior, or whatever that class is named who never changes, a Cleric and a Mage. Usually one of those gets changed to a Sage once I have the item for that, and I ditch the other, and grind a Goof-Off to 20 for another Sage. But I've beaten it before with the initial party of Hero, Warrior, Cleric, and Mage a few times, never changing anyone, and other party formats as well.

With personalities, you don't really want to put an Intelligence based one on a warrior say, but you also don't really have to have the absolute best on everyone.

It's nice having too healers and, to a lesser extent, two guys to cats Bikill/Oomph, hat's for sure. In the remakes of 3, I really like giving the hero a personality that boosts MP growth as the hero gets some really great spells that are disgustingly expensive.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

So what is the general strategy for dealing with the metal slime family? Can I put them to sleep?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just beat act 2 of DQXIS. The whole premise behind act 3 is strangely reminiscent of Avengers Endgame.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dizz posted:

So what is the general strategy for dealing with the metal slime family? Can I put them to sleep?

Metal Slimes are immune to all status effects and magic. You can either hope you accumulate enough damage from regular attacks (Metal Slash and Liquid Metal weapons are reliable here) or you can use abilities with high crit rates and multiple hits and try to fish for OHKOs. They are essentially a form of gambling.

I think some pep powers might be able to affect them, but it's risky.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just beat act 2 of DQXIS. The whole premise behind act 3 is strangely reminiscent of Avengers Endgame.

Act 3 left a bad taste in my mouth. I abandoned all my best friends for a bunch of lookalikes.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Ethiser posted:

Act 3 left a bad taste in my mouth. I abandoned all my best friends for a bunch of lookalikes.

Yeah I just got to it today and I'm kind of surprised at how consequence free it is for as much of a bad idea it feels like it's supposed to be. Though I also kind of wish they leaned more into the protagonist knowing most of this stuff already outside of the Dark One related lore. I really loved everyone having a reaction to them having this big sinister Greatsword strapped to their back all of a sudden and I just want more stuff like that.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

So Sylvando is Jesus Christ or something. turning things into food? Not very good when you need to fight in a world infested with monsters

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

BearDrivingTruck posted:

My experience has been that once you acquire Multibash nothing can stop you, it's so cost-efficient. So if you don't have that, wait until you do.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Dizz posted:

Falcon Slash with Hero
Thunder or Lightning trust with Jade
Critical Claim with Erik
etc.

Basically try to crit. This gets a lot easier later on, so I wouldn't worry about it too much and consider it a bonus if you manage to kill one.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Dizz posted:

Rab has a pep power that can put metal slimes to sleep at a very high base. I keep him pepped on the bench in case some liquid metal slimes come out or whatever.

I handle the grind by playing normally with a party of Luminary, Jade, Sylvando, Rab and substitute when one of them gets pepped. Then when all four get pepped, all use Electro Light to spawn metal slimes then have Rab put them to sleep. It just gives me enough experience to play the game on Stronger Monsters without having the need to go out of my way grinding. I used to have money issues on the PS4 version but since you can buy materials straight from the forge, it's far cheaper and less time consuming to make your equipment than buy it from shops or run around farming materials. I don't remember if you can buy high end colored gems in Act 2 from a merchant but having them available from the forge is a godsend for almost every recipe.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

what the gently caress is this arc?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dragon Quest

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, question about story stuff in the postgame:

Are we supposed to assume this is a totally separate timeline (with the first timeline continuing on), or is it all one timeline and time travel is just kind of able to blend its changes in without everything falling apart? Somewhere on Reddit people have posted that Yuji Horii's take is that the timelines "merge" when the Luminary travels back and apparently that's what the characters' having faint memories of the original timeline is supposed to suggest, but the primary source of that is in Japanese so I'm not too sure :v:

Mostly wondering because I feel like "leave all your friends behind and gently caress off to a completely separate universe where you can hang out with copies of them and wish for one of them to marry you while your original friends never see you again" is kind of a weird story development, and even less satisfying than "you time travel back and undo all the bad but it's just one timeline."

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

So, question about story stuff in the postgame:

Are we supposed to assume this is a totally separate timeline (with the first timeline continuing on), or is it all one timeline and time travel is just kind of able to blend its changes in without everything falling apart? Somewhere on Reddit people have posted that Yuji Horii's take is that the timelines "merge" when the Luminary travels back and apparently that's what the characters' having faint memories of the original timeline is supposed to suggest, but the primary source of that is in Japanese so I'm not too sure :v:

Mostly wondering because I feel like "leave all your friends behind and gently caress off to a completely separate universe where you can hang out with copies of them and wish for one of them to marry you while your original friends never see you again" is kind of a weird story development, and even less satisfying than "you time travel back and undo all the bad but it's just one timeline."

It should be

Just one timeline. When they do the explanation about how it works it says that everything up to the moment you go back to gets erased with only the Luminary and equipment surviving due to the anti-time boxes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zore posted:

It should be

Just one timeline. When they do the explanation about how it works it says that everything up to the moment you go back to gets erased with only the Luminary and equipment surviving due to the anti-time boxes.

Ah, somehow that explanation didn't quite stick in my brain for some reason. That makes sense, thanks.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Zore posted:

It should be

That means you murder everyone in existence and revive them at an earlier point in time. That more messed up than jumping to a different timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I can't believe that for a mere moment, I was a loving FISH