Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Bog Wizard released a single on floppy disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
The Vile Creature/Bismuth and Thou/Mizmor albums are outstanding. Really jealous of this year's Roadburn just because I couldn't be there to see these performances. Hoping Thou and Mizmor will do some more shows together in the states at some point.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the Ruby the Hatchet EP is up.

https://thehatchet.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-earthquaker

mix is a little better than the Youtube cut for 1000 years. pretty excited for the LP later this year now.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Thompson posted:

The Vile Creature/Bismuth and Thou/Mizmor albums are outstanding. Really jealous of this year's Roadburn just because I couldn't be there to see these performances. Hoping Thou and Mizmor will do some more shows together in the states at some point.

I’m there and both shows were great. Love roadburn collaborations.

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

was in chicago playing a show last weekend and stopped in at reckless to grab some gnarly doom CDs. also found the version of "the clarity" with the etching on side B, which is extremely awesome.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This is a little tangential to the thread but Justin Broadrick as JK Flesh put out a great split album with a Japanese industrial dub project called G36 and I love it, it’s some heavy moody stuff.

https://g36vsjkflesh.bandcamp.com/album/disintegration-dubs

I’m mentioning it now because the double vinyl version is up for preorders now and it’s limited to 500 copies.

https://bleep.com/release/250495-g36-vs-jk-flesh-disintegration-dubs

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/192214-g36-vs-jk-flesh-disintegration-dubs

E- maybe I’m wrong about g36 being Japanese, not sure where I got that impression, I think Kevin Martin is part of it. You may remember him from Techno Animal, The Bug, and other heavy projects.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 27, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Anything JK Flesh is amazing and anuthing he does in dub is also amazing. Godflesh in Dub is such a cool album, I'm excited for this! Thanks for sharing

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Wino is one cool lookin motherfucker

I'm trying to learn his whole career better, starting with Spirit Caravan. What sticks out for yall?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Anything JK Flesh is amazing and anuthing he does in dub is also amazing. Godflesh in Dub is such a cool album, I'm excited for this! Thanks for sharing

Yes! Basically anything he or The Bug are involved in is an instant buy for me.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Oh hell yeah

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

butros posted:

Oh hell yeah

:respek: awww yessssss

butros
Aug 2, 2007

oh hell yes, will I finally meet the infamous Snowy? I'll be the guy with a mask, glasses, and probably an Anti-Cimex shirt.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

butros posted:

oh hell yes, will I finally meet the infamous Snowy? I'll be the guy with a mask, glasses, and probably an Anti-Cimex shirt.

I hope so!! Would be cool to meet up :) I’ll probably be up front at the stage on the side, that’s my usual move. That way I get to sit on the stage because I’m all tired out from work :v:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I was thinking this morning about how one of the things that makes stoner/doom/desert so good is that the musicians are constantly collaborating on different projects, solo stuff, one-off shows, etc. Like I'm getting interested in Wino right now, so I have the whole catalogs of Spirit Caravan, The Obsessed, St. Vitus, and The Hidden Hand to check out. I was looking into Chris Goss the other day because there was a bunch of discussion of QOTSA in a couple different threads, and discovered Masters of Reality, which is just a drop in the bucket of the stuff he's been involved in. Per Wiberg is one of the most interesting dudes to me; I don't like Opeth at all, but King Hobo, Kamchatka, and Spiritual Beggars are my jam and Candlemass is growing on me. Seems like at the individual musician level, this little corner of the industry has some of the most prolific and hardworking artists outside of jazz and jam bands.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I was thinking this morning about how one of the things that makes stoner/doom/desert so good is that the musicians are constantly collaborating on different projects, solo stuff, one-off shows, etc. Like I'm getting interested in Wino right now, so I have the whole catalogs of Spirit Caravan, The Obsessed, St. Vitus, and The Hidden Hand to check out. I was looking into Chris Goss the other day because there was a bunch of discussion of QOTSA in a couple different threads, and discovered Masters of Reality, which is just a drop in the bucket of the stuff he's been involved in. Per Wiberg is one of the most interesting dudes to me; I don't like Opeth at all, but King Hobo, Kamchatka, and Spiritual Beggars are my jam and Candlemass is growing on me. Seems like at the individual musician level, this little corner of the industry has some of the most prolific and hardworking artists outside of jazz and jam bands.

also longevity. How the hell are Ozzy Osbourne and Bobby Liebling still alive?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Drugs.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Snowy posted:

I hope so!! Would be cool to meet up :) I’ll probably be up front at the stage on the side, that’s my usual move. That way I get to sit on the stage because I’m all tired out from work :v:

Hell yeah old guy looking for a seat crew :hfive:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

butros posted:

Hell yeah old guy looking for a seat crew :hfive:

I know two dudes with disabilities who just bring stools up to the front, one of them sometimes even puts it right up on the stage and sits next to the band. I think the band assumes he’s a bouncer or something.

I don’t have any good excuses like that except for being old with early work hours and being on my feet all day but I sure get tempted to copy them!

Pretty soon I’ll be rockin something like this

I love Saint Vitus because I can jet out the door and maybe get 4-5 hours of sleep if the cab is fast :)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Scott reeder is probably my "centre of the stoner-verse" artist. Everything he's been involved with is great, I love his style on bass (cos I'm also a lefty)

Matt pike is a close second

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

One of my recent favorite doom acts. I already had this on cassette but they were pretty much sold out and I love that artwork a lot.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Snowy posted:

I know two dudes with disabilities who just bring stools up to the front, one of them sometimes even puts it right up on the stage and sits next to the band. I think the band assumes he’s a bouncer or something.

I've been to St. Vitus a bunch (not as much as I'd like, since I live like almost five hours away), and I've seen these dudes at a lot of the shows I've been to there, and at some others I've been to in the city outside of St. Vitus. I went to the first two of the four nights of Yob shows in February and didn't see any of them, and I was a little surprised since there's pretty much always been one of them at all the Yob shows I've been to in NYC. I was a little concerned, just because of Covid and the toll that's taken on a lot of people.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I've been to St. Vitus a bunch (not as much as I'd like, since I live like almost five hours away), and I've seen these dudes at a lot of the shows I've been to there, and at some others I've been to in the city outside of St. Vitus. I went to the first two of the four nights of Yob shows in February and didn't see any of them, and I was a little surprised since there's pretty much always been one of them at all the Yob shows I've been to in NYC. I was a little concerned, just because of Covid and the toll that's taken on a lot of people.

Assuming it’s the same guys I can say they’re both ok. The white guy who is looking more and more like Bobby Liebling as time goes on is a friend from high school. He posts up at stage right. He’ll happily nerd out with you about metal, Japanese toys, herpetology, you name it. There’s a decent chance I’m standing next to him.

The black guy I don’t know as well and haven’t seen around in a while but Facebook tells me he’s fine :). He’s the one who’ll just walk up and put a stool onstage. I love that move.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

also longevity. How the hell are Ozzy Osbourne and Bobby Liebling still alive?

bobby liebling is only technically alive

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

A human heart posted:

bobby liebling is only technically alive

Same for Ozzy, really, he's basically a shambling ghoul trotted out to make Sharon money

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Snowy posted:

Assuming it’s the same guys I can say they’re both ok. The white guy who is looking more and more like Bobby Liebling as time goes on is a friend from high school. He posts up at stage right. He’ll happily nerd out with you about metal, Japanese toys, herpetology, you name it. There’s a decent chance I’m standing next to him.

The black guy I don’t know as well and haven’t seen around in a while but Facebook tells me he’s fine :). He’s the one who’ll just walk up and put a stool onstage. I love that move.

That's good to hear! Whenever I get a chance to get back to St. Vitus and if either of them happen to be there, I'll be sure to say hi to them (and you). And yeah, the stool right on stage is a power move, I like it. It seems like a number of bands that stop by know him to some degree and are cool with him hanging out there.

And here's some cool, experimental sludge from Pittsburgh.
https://gileadmedia.bandcamp.com/album/monuments-to-impermanence

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

And here's some cool, experimental sludge from Pittsburgh.
https://gileadmedia.bandcamp.com/album/monuments-to-impermanence

Yeah I flicked through a few of their tracks last night while scrolling through Bandcamp - these blast beats are brutal as gently caress! The slower tracks remind me a lot of Neurosis

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

crosspost from the psych rock thread bc im sure people here may be able to help. any recs of bands similar to SLIFT?

tia :)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gio posted:

crosspost from the psych rock thread bc im sure people here may be able to help. any recs of bands similar to SLIFT?

More SLIFT.
But a bunch of stuff in this thread like Earthless, King Buffalo, etc.

Ok more specific recommendations:
Causa Sui is very similar, very long fuzzy, spacey jams, eastern scales, stuff that sounds like stoner ragas.
Mothership is more thick syrupy fuzzy Sabbath worship but pretty jammy.
Turtle Skull has a really clean but fuzzy sound, I think I saw them described as flower prog or something like that. A few long pieces.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 2, 2022

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

Gio posted:

You might like Thee Oh Sees

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

PoorPeteBest posted:

was gonna say this too but felt that i havent explored them well enough to fully agree but the vibe is the same from what I have heard.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

PoorPeteBest posted:

I made the recommendation for the Levitation Sessions on YouTube in the psyche thread. The Oh Sees ones are pretty good. I'm not super find of them but the double drummers are oddly hypnotic.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i appreciate the recommendations here and in the psych thread.

ive been a fan of thee oh sees for a long time, though theyre really hit or miss and i wouldnt say the two are all that similar.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
people probably already noticed, but i somehow missed it until now--The Lord (Greg Anderson solo project) record came out: https://thelordsl.bandcamp.com/

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

emdash posted:

people probably already noticed, but i somehow missed it until now--The Lord (Greg Anderson solo project) record came out: https://thelordsl.bandcamp.com/

IT'S GOOD GET IT!!!!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Saw Jack Harlon & The Dead Crows last night at my local dive bar after nearly 2 years of blueballing/cancelling shows due to covid and other bullshit. gig of the year so far, gonna be tough to beat it...

...Until they play again next month at the bar across the road from my house with an even bigger bill of local psychedelic/doom/stoner heavyweights.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

How come nobody told me how good Black Mountain is?
https://youtu.be/bju02K_5Hzg
https://youtu.be/VBgUGzqU1X8
https://youtu.be/XFMw_sBFE_0

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I saw them live in a small room and got my face melted right off. Love those guys. Have all the records. I wish they were more active and played out across the south States more often than they do.

One of the main Black Mountain guys has a side project called Pink Mountaintops, but they lean way more towards the indie rock side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_godfsl8CKs

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

im_sorry posted:

IT'S GOOD GET IT!!!!

It's extremely good and much better than I expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

It's extremely good and much better than I expected

I know, right? If I could play guitar or bass, this is what I would play.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 11, 2022