Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Allen Wren posted:

NOTE: Please be aware that due the nature of this exciting vinyl effect, there is a chance some areas of the record may incur a slight loss in sound quality.

And yet, I'm such a goddamn magpie that it's shiny enough to tempt me.

That reminds me of the ParaNorman MONDO soundtrack I bought, I got the SUPER SPECIAL EDITION (which is actually really cool,. it glows in the dark) and it was covered in actual bone dust. There was a note saying "PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU GET ALL THE BONE DUST OFF BEFORE PLAYING THIS OR IT WILL gently caress IT UP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

NOTE: Please be aware that due the nature of this exciting vinyl effect, there is a chance some areas of the record may incur a slight loss in sound quality.

And yet, I'm such a goddamn magpie that it's shiny enough to tempt me.
Honestly with the source they used for that album, it wouldn't matter much. And that reminds me: There's some Amazon sellers selling Miracle Witness Hour for $25 in the US now, so I might finally pick it up. Unfortunately none of them specify which color pressing they have.

Did anyone here pick up the EZ Listening re-release?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

wa27 posted:

Honestly with the source they used for that album, it wouldn't matter much. And that reminds me: There's some Amazon sellers selling Miracle Witness Hour for $25 in the US now, so I might finally pick it up. Unfortunately none of them specify which color pressing they have.

I only just found out about the EZL re-release when I happened across Miracle Witness Hour. Tempting, but I haven't pulled the trigger.

GonSmithe posted:

That reminds me of the ParaNorman MONDO soundtrack I bought, I got the SUPER SPECIAL EDITION (which is actually really cool,. it glows in the dark) and it was covered in actual bone dust. There was a note saying "PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU GET ALL THE BONE DUST OFF BEFORE PLAYING THIS OR IT WILL gently caress IT UP

What?

bone dust?

why?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
pretty sure bone dust is really loving bad for you if you breathe it in, asbestos bad

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

bowmore posted:

pretty sure bone dust is really loving bad for you if you breathe it in, asbestos bad

Harmful record packaging is cool

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
it's a metaphor for how record collectors pay a premium over other less fragile formats

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Boinks posted:

Did you try reseating the wires going into the cartridge?

I have not, I will take a look at it though. Since it sat in my FIL's basement for thirty years I just assumed it was bad. Thanks!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/bone-music/

Also I didn't get any bone dust in my glow in the dark Paranorman! I paid for mesothelioma and by God I will get it

Also someone please enjoy this download card

Dogen fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 11, 2016

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Allen Wren posted:

I only just found out about the EZL re-release when I happened across Miracle Witness Hour. Tempting, but I haven't pulled the trigger.

What?

bone dust?

why?

Because the movie is about zombies. I think the note said something about it being safe too so :v:

Also I didn't pay for that one specifically it was a random insert.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 11, 2016

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I was really bummed looking at the RSD list until I saw the Guest soundtrack on purple vinyl, which means now I have to get my rear end out of bed early on Saturday. gently caress. I'll put it right next to the Drive soundtrack that I'll buy the moment it's not unaffordable, out of stock and/or made by Mondo. Might pick up that Etta James album for my sister too.

Allen Wren posted:

What?

bone dust?

why?

that thread title needs to stay relevant

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Yoshifan823 posted:

I was really bummed looking at the RSD list until I saw the Guest soundtrack on purple vinyl, which means now I have to get my rear end out of bed early on Saturday. gently caress. I'll put it right next to the Drive soundtrack that I'll buy the moment it's not unaffordable, out of stock and/or made by Mondo. Might pick up that Etta James album for my sister too.

Only thing that caught my eye is J Dilla's The Diary, and if discogs is to believed, even if I miss out, a regular release of it will come in June.

Still, super amped that Dilla's long lost album is finally seeing the light of day. :dance:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Yoshifan823 posted:

that thread title needs to stay relevant

I'm pretty sure there's going to be a regular black vinyl release of the Guest soundtrack. Also, a couple different labels have released a non-limited edition Drive soundtrack LP that also doesn't have the hideous Mondo Tees cover art.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'll put it right next to the Drive soundtrack that I'll buy the moment it's not unaffordable, out of stock and/or made by Mondo.

My copy is warped and I didn't listen to/open it for like 2 months so it was not returnable.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CPL593H posted:

I'm pretty sure there's going to be a regular black vinyl release of the Guest soundtrack. Also, a couple different labels have released a non-limited edition Drive soundtrack LP that also doesn't have the hideous Mondo Tees cover art.

I looked at Discogs and Amazon and both of them have regular versions of the Drive LP (because you are correct, that Mondo cover is loving awful) in sporadically. I backordered from Amazon, as long as it's not poo poo quality I don't care what color/cover it is. It's p expensive on EBay as well.

As for the Guest, the score got a release like a year ago, and the movie isn't getting any younger, i wouldn't be surprised if this were the only chance at the actual soundtrack, especially with a decently sized print run. Not that there's anything wrong with the score, but the soundtrack is like the gothkid version of Drive, which is dope.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I have a copy of Drive that isn't put out by Mondo, and if I remember correctly is in a rather fetching shade of pink. Was about $30 in a store from memory.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I have the pink and the Mondo one (the pink one is Lakeshore) and the pink one actually sounds kind of lovely.

Don't judge me, thread. I bought them both at retail price.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
More stuff from Ninja Tune:

The 10th anniversary version of Diplo's Florida and the limited edition boxset of The Heavy's Hurt and the Merciless.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

wa27 posted:

I have it. It's a really nice set and it sounds really good. Much better than the vinyl bootleg that I've had for years and certainly better than the cassette. It's cool that they did an EZ Listening version of Human Rocket for the release as well.

It's pricey, but it's worth it IMO.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Hey, any nerds interested in game soundtracks with nerds rapping about videogames over it?

The Mega Ran album Black Materia is coming out in a couple days

http://theyetee.com/megaran/detail.php?itemid=blackmateriablack

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rufus T. Turnbuckle posted:

Hey, any nerds interested in game soundtracks with nerds rapping about videogames over it?

dear sweet loving jesus no

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Rufus T. Turnbuckle posted:

i'd rather snort the bone dust off that other record

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I got an email from Mondo about Castlevania and got excited that the Symphony of the Night soundtrack was coming on vinyl, but no, it's just some stupid poster.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

On the other hand, it's always nice to have variety in the records you play on loop to torture prisoners.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

EL BROMANCE posted:

On the other hand, it's always nice to have variety in the records you play on loop to torture prisoners.

You can save money and just pick up an Eagles album for $2 for that

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

You can save money and just pick up an Eagles album for $2 for that

I would rather have headphones playing the latest Eagles album on loop glued to my ears than listen to video game rap.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

I would rather have headphones playing the latest Eagles album on loop glued to my ears than listen to video game rap.

Is there a third option that involves death?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Yoshifan823 posted:

For all eternity

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Is there any chance that any records at all will be left in any given record store in the afternoon on RSD? I'd go at opening time but it's a 35 minute drive to the record store I'm planning to go to and I have a weekend shift that I probably wouldn't make it back for if I went in the morning.

I guess maybe it depends on the place but I've never been to any RSD so I don't know if I should expect it to be bone dry by 4 in the afternoon with nothing but crappy 7" picture discs that nobody wants left over.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Peas and Rice posted:

I got an email from Mondo about Castlevania and got excited that the Symphony of the Night soundtrack was coming on vinyl, but no, it's just some stupid poster.

What's the problem? There's already a lot of stupid posters in this thread

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

Is there any chance that any records at all will be left in any given record store in the afternoon on RSD? I'd go at opening time but it's a 35 minute drive to the record store I'm planning to go to and I have a weekend shift that I probably wouldn't make it back for if I went in the morning.

I guess maybe it depends on the place but I've never been to any RSD so I don't know if I should expect it to be bone dry by 4 in the afternoon with nothing but crappy 7" picture discs that nobody wants left over.

It depends. I've gotten some good stuff with not getting there until late, but really, it comes down to "is this the sort of thing that everyone is going to want and is going to get grabbed by the ebay flippers at 8 am?"

Think on that question for the stuff you want and 99% of the time, you'll guess correctly.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Yeah the store I go to most often still has some of their unpopular 2014 rsd stuff but by the time I got there last year around noon it was picked clean of ask the stuff that isn't still sitting there

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and go early, since the one record I really want (that I'd forgotten was coming out on RSD) is the Residents' Please Don't Steal It and that'll probably be the target of a lot of flippers since it's a sought-after DJ exclusive of a popular cult band that's getting its first public release.

Beyond that, there's maybe ten other records that I want and I'm not going to go crazy getting all of them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and go early, since the one record I really want (that I'd forgotten was coming out on RSD) is the Residents' Please Don't Steal It and that'll probably be the target of a lot of flippers since it's a sought-after DJ exclusive of a popular cult band that's getting its first public release.

Beyond that, there's maybe ten other records that I want and I'm not going to go crazy getting all of them.

That same comp was reissued under another name and you can get that for 10-20 bucks. That release is called Nibbles.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Yoshifan823 posted:

Well yeah, I don't think anyone would pick the latter.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So this happened: http://www.tokyoreporter.com/2016/04/13/panasonic-sells-all-50th-anniversary-technics-turntables-in-30-minutes/

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

It's actually completely unsurprising that 300 people who are into collecting vinyl have $3,300 burning a hole in their pockets. They probably could have sold it for twice that if they spray-painted it gold.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

CPL593H posted:

That same comp was reissued under another name and you can get that for 10-20 bucks. That release is called Nibbles.

Thanks, I might give it a pass but I'm still kind of digging on it for the novelty value. The overseas-only (I'm in the US) rerelease of that compilation isn't quite the same as owning a rerelease with the original DJ cover in colored vinyl.

But I'm curious if the price set by this chucklefuck eager gentleman is indicative of average RSD prices: http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Residen...EkAAOSwy5ZXCH33

That single record LP and other 12" single record LPs are like $50 apiece. Is that how much RSD releases typically retail for or is this guy being a scumbag? If 12" RSD exclusives go for like $50 apiece I may just not even bothering to go in the morning. The place I'm going to is also having a 20% off sale on all other records and I may just get some regular records instead.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

King Vidiot posted:

But I'm curious if the price set by this chucklefuck eager gentleman is indicative of average RSD prices: http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Residen...EkAAOSwy5ZXCH33

That single record LP and other 12" single record LPs are like $50 apiece. Is that how much RSD releases typically retail for or is this guy being a scumbag? If 12" RSD exclusives go for like $50 apiece I may just not even bothering to go in the morning. The place I'm going to is also having a 20% off sale on all other records and I may just get some regular records instead.

Here's the same listing at Bull Moose:

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/22031435...r-college-radio

List price is $19.99. Individual stores can charge more or less than that, but the dude on eBay is clearly price gouging.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Thanks, I might give it a pass but I'm still kind of digging on it for the novelty value. The overseas-only (I'm in the US) rerelease of that compilation isn't quite the same as owning a rerelease with the original DJ cover in colored vinyl.

That guy's a piece of poo poo. The retail price for that is 20 dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. Nobody with the total lack of morals to loving flip his store's stock online before RSD would actually charge the reasonable retail price.