Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

AmericanGeeksta posted:

This was the main reason I loved The Quantum Thief. It grabs you by the face and unapologetically never lets go. I have never heard of the Neuromancer though, would you recommend it?

:stare:

Neuromancer is the root of everything from post-80s SF cinema (via Blade Runner, Alien, and The Matrix - although Blade Runner is more a case of parallel evolution) through a good chunk of modern advertising and fashion to the cliche of a corporate-ruled post-government world to the word 'cyberspace'. It's also a fascinatingly particular bit of literature, with a very distinct, cold, sharp style.

If you go through the first few pages sentence by sentence, every single sentence has been copied so widely it's now a cliche. Book is dense.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
It also has the best modern example of the accelerating rate of semantic drift - the very first sentence is "The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Neuromancer literally popularized the term Cyberspace.

So yeah, it was pretty influential.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Going back to superhero prose chat for a bit, I brought up Ex-Heroes and Soon I Will Be Invincible over in the City of Heroes thread, and was in turn pointed at Wearing the Cape and Velveteen.

I haven't tried the latter yet, but I'm halfway through the second Wearing the Cape book and they're pretty decent. They also have a pretty neat twist on the 'superpowers as reaction to environment' trope going on.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

General Battuta posted:

:stare:

Neuromancer is the root of everything from post-80s SF cinema (via Blade Runner, Alien, and The Matrix - although Blade Runner is more a case of parallel evolution) through a good chunk of modern advertising and fashion to the cliche of a corporate-ruled post-government world to the word 'cyberspace'. It's also a fascinatingly particular bit of literature, with a very distinct, cold, sharp style.

If you go through the first few pages sentence by sentence, every single sentence has been copied so widely it's now a cliche. Book is dense.

agree with this. Particularly about the stylistic part. Each sentence was jarring to read, at times, bordering on unpleasant, with a staccato rhythm, but it fit the work so well I didn't mind.

There are two other books and some short stories related to neuromancer which are worth reading, too, though they're not as good.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Neurosis posted:

There are two other books and some short stories related to neuromancer which are worth reading, too, though they're not as good.

Johnny Mnemonic (the Keanu Reeves movie) was based on one of those wasn't it?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It also has the best modern example of the accelerating rate of semantic drift - the very first sentence is "The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

To expand on this for the youth of today, readers envision a different color depending on whether they grew up with broadcast TV, which showed grey static on empty channels (as Gibson did, and what he actually meant) or a solid blue field (the test signal you get on empty cable channels).

So older readers took that line to mean it was grey and cloudy, but to The Kids Today it means a perfectly clear blue sky :v:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

WarLocke posted:

Johnny Mnemonic (the Keanu Reeves movie) was based on one of those wasn't it?

Astonishingly, it was based on the short story entitled Johnny Mnemonic.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kesper North posted:

To expand on this for the youth of today, readers envision a different color depending on whether they grew up with broadcast TV, which showed grey static on empty channels (as Gibson did, and what he actually meant) or a solid blue field (the test signal you get on empty cable channels).

So older readers took that line to mean it was grey and cloudy, but to The Kids Today it means a perfectly clear blue sky :v:

poo poo, you're making me feel old.

Kesper North posted:

Astonishingly, it was based on the short story entitled Johnny Mnemonic.

I couldn't remember if that was the title as well. Like I said, gettin' old :downs:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
An interview with Chuck Tingle, author of the Hugo Award-nominated Space Raptor Butt Invasion, is pretty much exactly what you would hope for in an interview with Chuck Tingle, author of Space Raptor Butt Invasion:

https://www.inverse.com/article/14881-is-chuck-tingle-and-his-hugo-nominated-dinosaur-erotica-a-sad-puppies-plant

IHNJ, IJLS Space Raptor Butt Invasion.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Kesper North posted:

An interview with Chuck Tingle, author of the Hugo Award-nominated Space Raptor Butt Invasion, is pretty much exactly what you would hope for in an interview with Chuck Tingle, author of Space Raptor Butt Invasion:

https://www.inverse.com/article/14881-is-chuck-tingle-and-his-hugo-nominated-dinosaur-erotica-a-sad-puppies-plant

Came here to post this. I will say that it made less sense than I expected from the author of Space Raptor Butt Invasion.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

AmericanGeeksta posted:

This was the main reason I loved The Quantum Thief. It grabs you by the face and unapologetically never lets go. I have never heard of the Neuromancer though, would you recommend it?

I recommend reading it because it is a kinda seminal work in what we call cyberpunk, so it is a "must read" if only as a reference book. Having said that, I find it a terribly overrated book in which a terribly overrated writer pontifies about things he has no idea about.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Amberskin posted:

I recommend reading it because it is a kinda seminal work in what we call cyberpunk, so it is a "must read" if only as a reference book. Having said that, I find it a terribly overrated book in which a terribly overrated writer pontifies about things he has no idea about.

I think Gibson knows a lot more than you think

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Gibson doesn't give a poo poo about the internal function of computers but he is fascinated by the relationship between technology and people, which he is an expert at writing about.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Kesper North posted:

It gets even better. Old school analog cable actually also had grey static on dead channels, but because the sound of static was incredibly annoying the better TVs started using a blue screen to cover empty channels (on both cable and broadcast). Blue rather than black to avoid the impression of a broken TV. Digital cable then defaulted to blue.

So if you were reading it at the right time, the color described by that line depended on how nice of a TV you were watching on and what kind of cable you had.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Kesper North posted:

Well, after reading that, I think Helicopter Man Pounds Dinosaur Billionaire in the rear end is headed to the top of my reading list.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kalman posted:

It gets even better. Old school analog cable actually also had grey static on dead channels, but because the sound of static was incredibly annoying the better TVs started using a blue screen to cover empty channels (on both cable and broadcast). Blue rather than black to avoid the impression of a broken TV. Digital cable then defaulted to blue.

So if you were reading it at the right time, the color described by that line depended on how nice of a TV you were watching on and what kind of cable you had.

Hell, broadcast was still going strong at the time it came out and cable was still that "new thing with maybe 30 channels and couple movie channels". I can remember when that book came out (at least in paperback). I was in high school and we still had broadcast TV. That book blew my mind when I read it.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
One of my favorite things about Gibson is that he loathes Shadowrun.

"[T]he admixture of cyberspace and, spare me, *elves*, has always been more than I could bear to think about."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Velius posted:

"[T]he admixture of cyberspace and, spare me, *elves*, has always been more than I could bear to think about."

He pretty much recanted that, I thought.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Props to whoever recommended Souls in the Great Machine, I really enjoyed it and will probably pick up the other books in the trilogy, even if it did move a bit fast in the middle and I had no idea why someone was suddenly rebelling against someone else until I went back and reread.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Velius posted:

shadowrun is a fun setting. it's very much cyberpunk with fantasy elements rather than the other way around, so the 'ugh, elves' thing is fine, imo.

flosofl posted:

He pretty much recanted that, I thought.

good.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
new neal asher book, the conclusion to justin cronin's vampire/zombie series the passage, and a stephen baxter novel with an okay sounding premise in this month. cool

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just finished up Red Knight Falling by Craig Schaefer (Book 2 in the Harmony Black series), and it's pretty damned good.

It's actually sort of blending sci fi in with urban fantasy, and I can dig that. It's got some interesting ideas, and the lead is actually a strong female lead without the overly bitchy stereotype or the "OMG THIS MIGHT BE OUR LAST FIGHT QUICK LET'S HAVE SEX IN THE STAIRWELL" thing that tends to happen in other books.

Definitely worth a read, doubly so if you have Kindle Unlimited.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Neurosis posted:

and a stephen baxter novel

Is that on top of the Arthur C Clarke sequel collaboration with Alastair Reynolds thing?

Talking of which, is the original Meeting with Medusa available on it's own/cheap anywhere? Want to read it before the sequel. Not that this is bad value at 10p per story I guess.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If you haven't read it already, Devil's Cape is a really good one. I strongly recommend it. Noir-ish.

Also, I just in the past few weeks finished reading Worm, by John McCrae, which was pretty goddamned amazing for a superhero book. Consistently high quality and pretty fantastic. It's a good book outside the genre, too - I didn't mean to drat it with faint praise.

I read VIcious by Schwab - the one about the villain who can transfer pain or whatever, and though it was ...okay. Nothing great - about on par with the Jenny Pox type books. It didn't really psych me up to read other books by the author.

If you DO read superhero junk, I'd absolutely recommend you stay far away from Bernheimer's D-List Supervillains series. What a lovely crock of poorly written boring poo poo. If you've *just* begun puberty maybe it's something you'd enjoy.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Just finished up Red Knight Falling by Craig Schaefer (Book 2 in the Harmony Black series), and it's pretty damned good.

It's actually sort of blending sci fi in with urban fantasy, and I can dig that. It's got some interesting ideas, and the lead is actually a strong female lead without the overly bitchy stereotype or the "OMG THIS MIGHT BE OUR LAST FIGHT QUICK LET'S HAVE SEX IN THE STAIRWELL" thing that tends to happen in other books.

Definitely worth a read, doubly so if you have Kindle Unlimited.

I feel like the gradual bleed of SF into urban fantasy is a growing trend, one which has mostly been pushed on by the British fantasy/SF writers like Charlie Stross (everything "fantasy" he's ever written, like the Laundry Files and his "Amber knock-off portal fantasy" Hidden Families series, is really very thinly-veiled hard SF; his most fantastical elements usually have a ton of solid hard-science backstory, like Peter Watts and his paleo-vampires).

I'm really quite fond of it, honestly, it makes the worldbuilding crunchy.

I'm looking forward to starting Red Knight Falling today; I don't know how Craig Schaefer writes so well while publishing like four books a year, but good on him...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Drifter posted:

If you haven't read it already, Devil's Cape is a really good one. I strongly recommend it. Noir-ish.

Also, I just in the past few weeks finished reading Worm, by John McCrae, which was pretty goddamned amazing for a superhero book. Consistently high quality and pretty fantastic. It's a good book outside the genre, too - I didn't mean to drat it with faint praise.

I read VIcious by Schwab - the one about the villain who can transfer pain or whatever, and though it was ...okay. Nothing great - about on par with the Jenny Pox type books. It didn't really psych me up to read other books by the author.

If you DO read superhero junk, I'd absolutely recommend you stay far away from Bernheimer's D-List Supervillains series. What a lovely crock of poorly written boring poo poo. If you've *just* begun puberty maybe it's something you'd enjoy.

I enjoyed Prepare to Die by Paul Tobin. It's revolves around a hero named "Reaver" who can punch years off your life (you age with every punch) and is also more or less invulnerable. The driving plot of the book is Reaver is given a week to "get his affairs in order", after which the main uber-villian is going to destroy him. And Reaver completely believes that he can. So he goes back to his home-town for closure.

There's a lot of interesting things in that book. Reaver, with his brother and a friend, crashed into toxic spill for a fairly horrific origin story. It also touches on the responsibility of having a side-kick and the consequences of not keeping your identity a secret.

It's not *great* literature by any means, but it stands up fine against the good stories in the "superhero" genre.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

I'm looking forward to starting Red Knight Falling today; I don't know how Craig Schaefer writes so well while publishing like four books a year, but good on him...
Just finsihed it, it's really good. The central idea is pretty drat amazing too, I wish more urban fantasy authors had the balls to go out of their vampire/ghost/mythology comfort zone when there's so much more interesting stuff to see.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kesper North posted:

I feel like the gradual bleed of SF into urban fantasy is a growing trend, one which has mostly been pushed on by the British fantasy/SF writers like Charlie Stross (everything "fantasy" he's ever written, like the Laundry Files and his "Amber knock-off portal fantasy" Hidden Families series, is really very thinly-veiled hard SF; his most fantastical elements usually have a ton of solid hard-science backstory, like Peter Watts and his paleo-vampires).

Hines's Libriomancer books have a lot of SF in them too, although it's not at all hard; the basic conceit is that the main character is a type of mage who can pull physical objects out of books. And he's an SF fan. So while everyone else is yanking out Excaliburs by the dozen, he's running around with a Dune shield belt and a lightsaber.

I really like this trend.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Just finsihed it, it's really good. The central idea is pretty drat amazing too, I wish more urban fantasy authors had the balls to go out of their vampire/ghost/mythology comfort zone when there's so much more interesting stuff to see.

I like the premise of Brotherhood of the Wheel by RS Belcher. It's a sect of Knights Templar that are truckers, bikers and state cops that protect America's roads, I just have no idea if the author's actually good or not.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

savinhill posted:

I like the premise of Brotherhood of the Wheel by RS Belcher. It's a sect of Knights Templar that are truckers, bikers and state cops that protect America's roads, I just have no idea if the author's actually good or not.
Having read Brotherhood as well as his Golgotha series, I've found Belcher to be an ok writer, but nothing that he's done has really caught my attention the way Schaefer or Elliott James (who does the better Knights Templar offshoots turned into supernatural law keepers) have.

I didn't find him to be awful, at least.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'm about done with a complete re-read of John Varley's Gaea Trilogy (Titan/Wizard/Demon) and I had forgotten how loving weird it was. Especially at the end with the 50-foot Marilyn Monroe.

Thankfully, the Titanides never caught on with the general public because Bronies are creepy enough.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Titan blew my loving mind when I read it in high school, and when I found out years later that there were sequels I was bummed I never read them. Then I looked at the summaries on Wikipedia :chloe:. The other Varley stuff I read was cool and good, though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Are we really doing this again?

Wikipedia page that doesn't exist anymore posted:

Titanides come in two sexes, male and female. Both sexes have a rear vagina and uterus, and a large penis in the position where a horse's penis would be. Both sexes also possess humanoid breasts and can thus give birth to and suckle young.

Male Titanides have a frontal penis analogous to a human penis, and female Titanides have a frontal vagina. While sexual intercourse using the horse organs is indulged in casually between individuals of all sexes, so-called frontal intercourse is reserved for intimate relationships. The product of frontal intercourse is always a small, spherical egg a few centimetres in diameter. These eggs are often kept as keepsakes or mementos of special occasions. They are sterile unless first treated with the Wizard's saliva.

An egg which has been made fertile can be implanted in a rear vagina and "quickened" by rear intercourse. After that, the egg will develop into a young Titanide.

All Titanides can have eggs implanted. The Titanide who receives the egg is called the "hindmother". The Titanide who quickens the egg is called the "hindfather". The Titanides whose original act of intercourse produced the egg are the "foremother" and "forefather".

There is special case: a female Titanide may use semen from her ventral penis to produce an egg, transferring it by hand. If the egg is made fertile, she may then implant it in herself and quicken it with the same source of semen. The resulting offspring is a clone of the mother. Semen from the ventral penis can only produce an egg in the same individual who produces the semen. This is the so-called "Aeolian Solo" method of reproduction.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
And aren't all those critters centaurs who are big-tittied ladies from the waist up or something equally retarded?

I like some of Varley's stuff, but jesus sheepfucking christ why do you crusty old SF writers have to get all rule 34 about poo poo...

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

savinhill posted:

I've tried his Western books (a little undercooked, he got published a couple of books too early) and I tried Nightwise (prose matured a lot, but he tried to make it EDGY to the point of ridiculousness - in the very first scene the protagonist looks at a corpse of someone tortured to death and it reminds him of how he totally likes to have hot BDSM sex with hot bitches). Given the general trajectory of his improvement I'll give BotW a try. Eventually.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Hedrigall posted:

What greedy loving species needs three sets of genitals? Is one not good enough for them?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

But what pronouns does each one use?