Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

I once opened a large chest only for one of the prizes to be a resurrection potion, which caused me to immediately die when all of the poo poo I'd just killed to claim my prize suddenly came back to life.

I couldn't even be mad about that one. I just sat there and laughed for a little while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

madjackmcmad posted:

Unity using roguelike devs up in here: this package of fantasy icons and avatars is free today (22 April 16) iffffff you want a whole mess of icons which you could likely even use in your non-Unity game. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/59045
Whaa. Must have missed the cut off at 5pm PST? Not that $5 is an absurd asking price I guess.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So I've ranted at great (terrible) length about consumables in the past...

Today I have a relatively simple question :v:

What's the difference between scrolls and potions?

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

potions turn into potions of water when you fall into a river, while scrolls turn into blank scrolls

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
What's the difference between swords and axes?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it really depends on the game and developer, but i think GENERALLY people tend to make scrolls as strategic consumables and potions as tactical consumables because it feels right?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

So I've ranted at great (terrible) length about consumables in the past...

Today I have a relatively simple question :v:

You can't use scrolls when blinded, and if the game has inventory damage then scrolls tend to be easier to lose. Potions also generally target the user (in some games you can throw them to affect a different user) while scrolls can target others.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You can't use scrolls when blinded, and if the game has inventory damage then scrolls tend to be easier to lose. Potions also generally target the user (in some games you can throw them to affect a different user) while scrolls can target others.

Less snarky is that the second part of this was the split we ended up with in Sproggiwood; roughly that potions affect the player, whereas scrolls interact with the environment.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

throwing potions at monsters owns. throwing scrolls at monsters not so much.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why is teleportation always a scroll, it's very much a tactical-only effect (if you have well-designed dungeons/dungeon generation algorithms anyway)

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Are you the Sproggiwood dev? I had a great time with Sproggiwood. Just wanted to let you know.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Tollymain posted:

why is teleportation always a scroll, it's very much a tactical-only effect (if you have well-designed dungeons/dungeon generation algorithms anyway)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V2lxFWBqfI&t=102s

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lowness 72 posted:

Are you the Sproggiwood dev? I had a great time with Sproggiwood. Just wanted to let you know.

Hah yeah, thanks handofluke, suncut and I.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

victrix posted:

Potions can be drank by anyone, only a proper spellcaster can use a scroll. A scroll is a single charge of a wand, in paper form. Also scrolls can be copied into ones spellbook.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Tollymain posted:

At first I thought "drinking a potion to teleport sounds weird", but then I realized that cursed potions of teleporation could teleport themselves randomly on the level when you try to drink them.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

This is 100% the reason.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Rutibex posted:

Potions can be drank by anyone, only a proper spellcaster can use a scroll. A scroll is a single charge of a wand, in paper form. Also scrolls can be copied into ones spellbook.
In what game is this how it works? I can't remember if I've played one where it works like this.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Unormal posted:

Hah yeah, thanks handofluke, suncut and I.

I knew about you and handofluke, but what did suncut do?

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

In what game is this how it works? I can't remember if I've played one where it works like this.

I don't know of any games that work exactly like that, but it did remind me that in ADOM you can't read scrolls at all if you're illiterate, but that sure doesn't stop you from chugging whatever strange liquids you can get your hands on, so that's another potential difference.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

IronicDongz posted:

Dungeons and Dragons :colbert:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
oh, don't think I've ever played a DnD game that actually had much or any potions/scrolls in it

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

IronicDongz posted:

oh, don't think I've ever played a DnD game that actually had much or any potions/scrolls in it
The problem is that D&D players are like any other gamer and hoard their scrolls/potions/wands/etc for 'just in case' they ever need them and never actually use them. Given that they're never used, most GMs don't hand them out and players don't buy them (with the exception of edge cases, e.g. rangers buying wands of cure light wounds).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I mean more along the lines of "I've never played a DnD game where any kind of potion beyond a healing potion existed anywhere"

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Dr. Dos posted:

At first I thought "drinking a potion to teleport sounds weird", but then I realized that cursed potions of teleporation could teleport themselves randomly on the level when you try to drink them.

I think any potion you try to drink should sprout little legs and run away sometimes if it feels like it, in every roguelike.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

IronicDongz posted:

I mean more along the lines of "I've never played a DnD game where any kind of potion beyond a healing potion existed anywhere"
:eyepop:
You need to play Baldurs Gate 2 and Planescape Torment right away. Your Nethack skills will be somewhat transferable.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

an rpg where you're not swigging bottles of mysterious and possibly lethal liquid isn't a proper rpg

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Potions in Baldur's Gate hit that perfect mix of extremely powerful and uncommon that it's a giant psychological victory over my own brain to ever use them.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

Potions in Baldur's Gate hit that perfect mix of extremely powerful and uncommon that it's a giant psychological victory over my own brain to ever use them.

BG1 is actually the game that I used to permanently break myself of both the 'hoard consumables'* and 'do everything 100%' rpg mental debilitations.

And it was a lot of fun playing it that way, so good on the devs for encounter design.

(*for 'normal' rpgs, you hoard consumables in roguelikes and you die a lot)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
You need to play Baldurs Gate 2 and Planescape Torment right away. Your Nethack skills will be somewhat transferable.
Oh, I meant actual DnD, not videogames :cheeky:

Though I still haven't played either of those, but honestly I don't have much interest.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Unormal posted:

Less snarky is that the second part of this was the split we ended up with in Sproggiwood; roughly that potions affect the player, whereas scrolls interact with the environment.

Dmans has a very similar philosophy. Potions go in your belly and do something to you internally. Scrolls affect the outside world and your place in it. Scrolls of Blink and Hopscorch fit this ideal because they move you in the world. Fun exceptions (that are not in dmans) include a Potion of Firebreath, which lets you cast a cone of flame affecting the outside world, and a Scroll of Turn Into Some Jive rear end Alternate Form which lets you whatever.

It helps with the ID game because if you have an unid'd potion you have an educated guess about what happens when you drink it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Teleportation doesn't move you around the world, it moves the world around you. :lsd:

e: That said I like ToME's answer with its rough equivalent to scrolls and potions: runes are spells, infusions are nature gifts, and both spells and nature gifts are potentially excluded by certain build choices.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Potions induce magical change by means of arcane biochemistry; there is a direct cause -> effect process that is typically observable in or immediately about the imbiber's physiology. Scrolls, on the other hand, function via magical relativism; they induce changes in the world by altering a targeted item, place, or creature relative to all other items, places, and creatures - for instance, a sword becomes more or less cursed relative to the average cursedness of swords, or an adventurer finds her location relative to reference points in her surroundings has changed slightly. This is why thrown potions sometimes work - they are magichemically active solutions - but thrown scrolls do not (they provide a clearly defined but insanely complex set of step-by-step ritual instructions which consumes the magically-imbued parchment as fuel once completed).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Potions induce magical change by means of arcane biochemistry; there is a direct cause -> effect process that is typically observable in or immediately about the imbiber's physiology. Scrolls, on the other hand, function via magical relativism; they induce changes in the world by altering a targeted item, place, or creature relative to all other items, places, and creatures - for instance, a sword becomes more or less cursed relative to the average cursedness of swords, or an adventurer finds her location relative to reference points in her surroundings has changed slightly. This is why thrown potions sometimes work - they are magichemically active solutions - but thrown scrolls do not (they provide a clearly defined but insanely complex set of step-by-step ritual instructions which consumes the magically-imbued parchment as fuel once completed).

simulationism.txt

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

for instance, a sword becomes more or less cursed relative to the average cursedness of swords

My favorite sentence today

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

simulationism.txt

If there's one thing I love, it's absurdly baroque worldbuilding where none is needed.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

victrix posted:

My favorite sentence today

it's good

megane
Jun 20, 2008

a +2 shortsword (cursed at Z+1.2*)

* ±0.4, for p=0.05

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Teleportation doesn't move you around the world, it moves the world around you. :lsd:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I knew about you and handofluke, but what did suncut do?

All the art!... Composerguy did the music as well. A true work of gooncraft

Unormal fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I thought I was having a good Deathstate run then it dumps 4 projectile spamming minibosses on me at once.