Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Dead Reckoning posted:

It isn't being a dick to women as a whole, it's being a dick to the subset of people who think Zack Snyder producing a franchise movie about a character that started life as BDSM wank material is An Important Moment For Feminism, as well as a few people who got sucked in by WB's social media campaign to portray their $120 million movie as an underdog that women should buy tickets for to send a message to the patriarchal studio system. And I'm OK with that being legally protected.

In case anybody cares, Wonder Woman has a rather more complex origin than simply BDSM wank material. Her creator fully intended her to be an icon for female empowerment, in fact he was a strange breed of hardcore feminist who was also a massive sex pervert and believed that women were intrinsically superior to men, which obviously informed her characterization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j73IkjslvoM

She was also unprecedented in comics at the time and has remained easily the single most important female super hero in the medium while not being some kind of knock off or sidekick of a more important male character. But none of that stuff matters guys!

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

khwarezm posted:

he was a strange breed of hardcore feminist who was also a massive sex pervert

:turianass: Strange. :turianass:

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

cis autodrag posted:

Is there a well actually emote? I need it

I think :females: is close enough in spirit.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I always thought :goonsay: was good for well, actually

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm sure nobody will care after opening weekend mooting the entire thing.

You know, just like the Ghostbusters movie (which I had to turn off after the loving pringles ad)

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Please don't talk about comic books in the SCOTUS thread.

Unless you are actually Elena Kagan. Then it's okay.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Supreme Court Justices' Favorite Superheroes:
John Roberts: Tony Stark
Anthony Kennedy: Superman
Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Batwoman
Stephen Breyer: Beast (X-Men)
Samuel Alito: The Punisher
Sonia Sotomayor: Spider-Man
Elena Kagan: The Hulk
Neil Gorsuch: Bruce Wayne
Clarence Thomas: Stardust the Super Wizard

VVV She's too humble. Clark Kent always says that Aquaman or The Green Arrow are his favorite.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 30, 2017

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Supreme Court Justices' Favorite Superheroes:
Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Fixed the most egregious error you've made ITT

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
What about Antonin Scalia?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

koschei the deathless

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Why do you think Alito picked The Punisher?
("I'm glad Scalia's dead" edgelord comedy option: Darkseid)

VVV That's a good one too.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 30, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I was thinking the Spectre.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

Please don't talk about comic books in the SCOTUS thread.

Unless you are actually Elena Kagan. Then it's okay.

What about Clarence Thomas, didnt he literally call up a comic book artist from his office so he could talk about comics with them?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Dead Reckoning posted:

Neil Gorsuch: Bruce Wayne

I nearly spit my hot coffee out at this. Well done.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Communist Zombie posted:

What about Clarence Thomas, didnt he literally call up a comic book artist from his office so he could talk about comics with them?

He did. He unironically loved the guy's conservative caricature hero. The artist wrote something about this around Bush v Gore, hoping it would sway Thomas. (It did not)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
:siren: Opinions! :siren:

IMPRESSION PRODUCTS, INC. v. LEXMARK INTERNATIONAL, INC.
Holding: 1. Lexmark exhausted its patent rights in the Return Program cartridges that it sold in the United States. A patentee’s decision to sell a product exhausts all of its patent rights in that item, regardless of any restrictions the patentee purports to impose.
2. Lexmark also sold toner cartridges abroad, which Impression Products acquired from purchasers and imported into the United
States. Lexmark cannot sue Impression Products for infringement with respect to these cartridges. An authorized sale outside the United States, just as one within the United States, exhausts all rights under the Patent Act.

Lineup: Majority opinion by Roberts, joined by Kennedy, Thomas, Breyer, Alito, Sotomayor, and Kagan. Ginsburg concurred in part and dissented in part (Ginsburg would have held that foreign sales do not exhaust United States patent rights).
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/16pdf/15-1189_ebfj.pdf

ESQUIVEL-QUINTANA v. SESSIONS
Holding: In the context of statutory rape offenses that criminalize sexual intercourse based solely on the ages of the participants, the generic
federal definition of “sexual abuse of a minor” requires the age of the victim to be less than 16.
Lineup: Majority opinion by Thomas. All Justices joined other than Gorsuch, who took no part in the case.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/16pdf/16-54_5i26.pdf

BNSF RAILWAY CO. v. TYRRELL
Holding: 1. Section 56 [of the Federal Employers' Liability Act, allowing railroad employees to sue for on the job injuries] does not address personal jurisdiction over railroads [but provides only a permissive venue prescription].
2. The Montana courts’ exercise of personal jurisdiction under Montana law does not comport with the Fourteenth Amendment’s
Due Process Clause. Only the propriety of general personal jurisdiction is at issue here because neither Nelson nor Tyrrell alleges injury from work in or related to Montana. . . Here, BNSF is not incorporated or headquartered in Montana and its activity there is not “so substantial and of such a nature as to render the corporation at home in that State.”
Lineup: Majority opinion by Ginsburg, joined by Roberts, Kennedy, Thomas, Breyer, Alito, Kagan and Gorsuch. Sotomayor concurred in part and dissented in part (Sotomayor would have remanded to Montana to determine if this was an "exceptional case" where general personal jurisdiction would be proper in a forum State that is neither a corporate defendant's place of incorporation nor its principal place of business).
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/16pdf/16-405_4gdj.pdf

COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, ET AL. v. MENDEZ ET AL.
Holding: The Fourth Amendment provides no basis for the Ninth Circuit’s “provocation rule.” [which makes an officer’s otherwise reasonable use of force unreasonable if (1) the officer “intentionally or recklessly provokes a violent confrontation” and (2) “the provocation is an independent Fourth Amendment violation”]. The Ninth Circuit’s proximate-cause holding is similarly tainted. Its analysis appears to focus solely on the risks foreseeably associated with the failure to knock and announce—the claim on which the court concluded that the deputies had qualified immunity— rather than the warrantless entry. On remand, the court should revisit the question whether proximate cause permits respondents to recover damages for their injuries based on the deputies’ failure to secure a warrant at the outset.
Lineup: Majority opinion by Alito. All Justices joined other than Gorsuch, who took no part in the case.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/16pdf/16-369_09m1.pdf

ulmont fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 30, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ulmont posted:

:siren: Opinions! :siren:

IMPRESSION PRODUCTS, INC. v. LEXMARK INTERNATIONAL, INC.
Holding: 1. Lexmark exhausted its patent rights in the Return Program cartridges that it sold in the United States. A patentee’s decision to sell
a product exhausts all of its patent rights in that item, regardless of any restrictions the patentee purports to impose.
2. Lexmark also sold toner cartridges abroad, which Impression Products acquired from purchasers and imported into the United
States. Lexmark cannot sue Impression Products for infringement with respect to these cartridges. An authorized sale outside the United States, just as one within the United States, exhausts all rights under the Patent Act.

Lineup: Majority opinion by Roberts, joined by Kennedy, Thomas, Breyer, Alito, Sotomayor, and Kagan. Ginsburg concurred in part and dissented in part (Ginsburg would have held that foreign sales do not exhaust United States patent rights).
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/16pdf/15-1189_ebfj.pdf

Another good case with the core holding that "the federal circuit loving sucks at patent law".

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Federal Circuit's raison d'etre appears to be "better to have appellate patent law decisions always be wrong than only sometimes be wrong"

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Rygar201 posted:

He did. He unironically loved the guy's conservative caricature hero. The artist wrote something about this around Bush v Gore, hoping it would sway Thomas. (It did not)

It was Dwayne McDuffie's Icon, an alien superhero who became a corporate lawyer as a cover.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

evilweasel posted:

Another good case with the core holding that "the federal circuit loving sucks at patent law".

It's amazing.

quote:

This venerable principle is not, as the Federal Circuit dismissively viewed it, merely “one common-law jurisdiction’s general judicial policy at one time toward antialienation restrictions.” 816 F. 3d, at 750. Congress enacted and has repeatedly revised the Patent Act against the backdrop of the hostility toward restraints on alienation. That enmity is reflected in the exhaustion doctrine. The patent laws do not include the right to “restrain[ ] . . . further alienation” after an initial sale; such conditions have been “hateful to the law from Lord Coke’s day to ours” and are “obnoxious to the public interest.” Straus v. Victor Talking Machine Co., 243 U. S. 490, 501
(1917). “The inconvenience and annoyance to the public that an opposite conclusion would occasion are too obvious to require illustration.” Keeler, 157 U. S., at 667.

evilweasel posted:

The Federal Circuit's raison d'etre appears to be "better to have appellate patent law decisions always be wrong than only sometimes be wrong"

They have been so bad for so long.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Brute Squad posted:

It was Dwayne McDuffie's Icon, an alien superhero who became a corporate lawyer as a cover.

Well, someday all 17 justices will have grown up watching Ben 10, so I guess McDuffie will have the last laugh.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ulmont posted:

It's amazing.

They have been so bad for so long.

Yeah, unlike the last few which have at least given a fig leaf, this decision outright slaps them for being wrong from first principles.

Also PhRMA and Qualcomm are SO UNHAPPY right now, it's sort of amazing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalman posted:

Yeah, unlike the last few which have at least given a fig leaf, this decision outright slaps them for being wrong from first principles.

Also PhRMA and Qualcomm are SO UNHAPPY right now, it's sort of amazing.

I think Heartland was pretty much a "gently caress you, we ruled on this decades ago and you just ignored us" one. This one was a little kinder, I think.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

As a practical matter what is the Supreme court's recourse if the federal circuit keeps getting stuff wrong? They can't just take every patent case.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

As a practical matter what is the Supreme court's recourse if the federal circuit keeps getting stuff wrong? They can't just take every patent case.

They can do a summary reversal, where they grant cert and reverse without argument or briefing. It's rarely done except for cases that were appealed along with a case they just decided, but when it's done independently it's basically considered to be as insulting to the lower decision as they can get.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

And if an appeals court really pisses the SCOTUS off, they can type out a quick 4 or 5 page per curium to scold the lower court, like in this hilarious unanimous bench-slapping: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/10pdf/10-797.pdf

"That decision is as inexplicable as it is unexplained. It is reversed." :lol:

But yeah, the supreme court can grant cert, reverse, and say "go look at that prior decision we made again, you dumbshits" in just one line in their weekly orders without any briefings or argument.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

From above, because it is gorgeous:

Daddy's belt posted:

The state appellate court’s decision was plainly not
unreasonable. There was simply no basis for the Ninth
Circuit to reach the opposite conclusion, particularly in
such a dismissive manner.
The petition for certiorari and the motion for leave to
proceed in forma pauperis are granted. The judgment of
the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit is reversed, and
the case is remanded for further proceedings consistent
with this opinion.
It is so ordered.

Sentence 3) Cert issued.
Sentence 4) Issue resolved, ticket closed.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

They don't really need to. The Federal Circuit gets doctrinal issues wrong and they get corrected, but their day-to-day decisions are actually fine for the most part. The "FedCir gets it wrong all the time" thing is a function of there only being one court and thus no splits, so cert is a strong signal for reversal. Every once in a while the FedCir theoretically adopts the Supreme Court rule but in actuality maintains their earlier practices and in those cases there's a follow-on case.

(I may be biased in their favor by a recent FedCir decision regurgitating all of the arguments I made below, though.)

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/shermancourt/status/870276298966528000

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

RBG being very wary of assassins, as she should be, while Thomas is having the time of his life.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hail Ginsburg, full of grace.
Our Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy gavel,
Progress.
Holy Ginsburg, Champion of Rights,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/elliosch/status/870283988065284096

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

They're going to lift the stay on the travel ban, aren't they?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

incoherent posted:

The one that was so urgent that we needed 100 days to implement sweeping changes to our entry procedures and security, then spent 130 days doing jack poo poo about?

The travel ban intended to buy ICE and the TSA time to fix arbitrary and unstated problems that Trump isn't actually working on?

Yeah probably.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

incoherent posted:

ACLU v Kelly, the honorable Justice GORSUCH writes for the court

The Musselman has no rights the white man is bound to respect.

It is so ordered.

I don't think they will, but I am basing that on nothing more than my gut feeling.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the best thing to do would be to call the administration's bluff and lift the part of the 9th circuit injunction that supposedly prevents them from doing the planning (im pretty sure this is a complete fiction the government made up) and then schedule arguments for next term, over 100 days from now

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Rygar201 posted:

ACLU v Kelly, the honorable Justice GORSUCH writes for the court

The Musselman has no rights the white man is bound to respect.

It is so ordered.

Not enough incredibly badly stated plain meaning rhetoric. Add some "it's obvious that", and "the law shows".

vvvvv reading level's still too high to be Gorsuch, but it's a great improvement for mimicking his style.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 2, 2017

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Not enough incredibly badly stated plain meaning rhetoric. Add some "it's obvious that", and "the law shows".

The law shows that the President may restrict the issuance of visas for reasons of national security. By the plain wording of the executive order, these travel restrictions aren't discriminatory. The 9th Circuit's injunction is inappropriate in light of these obvious truths.

Reversed and remanded, it is so ordered, etc etc

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I think they're going to tell Trump to eat poo poo because they've taken zero action other than trying to ban people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Minus 5 points for not photoshopping Gorsuch out