Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Humerus posted:

And yeah, if you gave up after the first Book you should try watching 2

If you gave up after Book 1, don't watch Book 2, it's actually worse. Book 1 was really good, but Book 3 is also pretty great and I recommend skipping s02 entirely.

e; vv okay yeah, the Wan episode is great.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 15, 2014

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If you gave up after Book 1, don't watch Book 2, it's actually worse. Book 1 was really good, but Book 3 is also pretty great and I recommend skipping s02 entirely.

I'd recommend at least the Wan episodes and the B2 finale.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Orv posted:

Ultra powerful children is still animes worst cliche, and I say this as someone who has come to like some anime the last couple years.

I don't really care about how many cliches the creators end up mashing together as long as they do it well, seriously. And Korra isn't even anime, it's western animation :spergin:.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Kanfy posted:

Ditto, the first game is one of the few I bothered 100%:ing.
I lack the "speedrun the 1st level" one. gently caress speedruns.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

lordfrikk posted:

And Korra isn't even anime, it's western animation :spergin:.

Americanime.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Pierzak posted:

I lack the "speedrun the 1st level" one. gently caress speedruns.

Isn't that achievement pretty generous with the time you are allowed to use?

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
EVERY time Dota 2 updates, it freezes at a certain percent (different every time) and stops updating. I do these things repeatedly until somehow, magically, the download completes:

* Verify local cache
* Change region/download speed cap
* Delete BLOB
* flushconfig

It used to be sometimes that this would happen, but the last month or so it's been every single time there's an update, no matter how small, Steam freezes. Any ideas on how I can fix this? It's infuriating.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

ymgve posted:

Isn't that achievement pretty generous with the time you are allowed to use?
Except that every single thing you do has its tempo. Step, step, step, turn, step, turn, strike, strike, step... It's not like you can rush it, and I'm bad at optimizing the sequence.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

If you decide to do a game challenge it might seem like a good idea to include some bad games you can write off easily, but really they'll kill your will to play harder than anything else. I even took screenshots of today's games but they were so ugly and boring I didn't bother uploading them.

:spooky: The 31 DaysGames of October :spooky:

1. Alien: Isolation
2. Year Walk
3. Deadlight
4. Adventures of Shuggy
5. Atom Zombie Smasher
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
7. Infected: The Twin Vaccine - Collector's Edition
8. How to Survive

9. 1953 - KGB Unleashed

I actually had high hopes for this one. I'm pretty forgiving of point-and-click games, and honestly more things should make use of the brutal, almost alien Soviet aesthetic. It started well enough, with my character waking up in the bowels of some Cold War bunker with only emergency lighting to guide him. The rooms are pre-rendered and you can pan your view around to examine them, but movement is solely clicking through different static scenes. There is shockingly little to interact with in each scene, and your character will only comment on things that block his progress, and infrequently at that. The atmosphere starts out plenty oppressive and mysterious, but the puzzles and the terrible voice acting quickly do away with that.

And my God, the puzzles. It took me over 10 minutes to solve the very first one in the game because you have to find a loose panel under your feet in the dark, and then solve a math problem based on a number you might not have paid any attention to. I quit in the area after that after finding a punch card, a pencil, a key that did not unlock any of the three locked doors nearby, and a radio that you could tune that might be a puzzle. I can't see anyone but the most meticulous puzzling grognards having fun with this.

If your dream game is boring, obtuse Soviet MYST, then you might like it. Otherwise don't bother.

10. Burn Zombie Burn!

How many zombie murderfest games are there on Steam now? Probably enough that you don't need to worry about one that came out over 4 years ago. Burn Zombie Burn has exactly one interesting mechanic, and that's that you get a melee attack that sets zombies on fire. Every zombie currently on fire adds one to your score multiplier, and killing a burning zombie can yield better powerups. However, burning zombies move faster, hit harder, and if they burn to death award you no points. So if you want to be grandmaster of zombie murder, you have to balance setting zombies on fire against mowing them down.

Outside of that, you have a standard assortment of guns and chainsaws and bombs. There are some unique zombie types you've seen before like exploding ones and armored ones. You can trigger a special event for each level like the zombies doing the Thriller dance if you get high enough combos with a single weapon. The graphics are ugly cartoony, and the blood spray particle effect wouldn't render for me so I got black boxes every time I hit a zombie. Your character's hair looks like poop. Seriously, play something else.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Pierzak posted:

Except that every single thing you do has its tempo. Step, step, step, turn, step, turn, strike, strike, step... It's not like you can rush it, and I'm bad at optimizing the sequence.

IIRC you can cheese it pretty easily with quicksaves. And you gotta make your party quickly of course.

E: Seems like the download for the sequel is up now.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Kanfy posted:

And you gotta make your party quickly of course.
What the gently caress? Party creation time counts against that? It would explain so much :doh:

Kanfy posted:

E: Seems like the download for the sequel is up now.
See you when I finish the game, thread.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 15, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Not Steam but GOG is giving away AVP 2000 if you beta-test their Steam-esque client: http://www.gog.com/galaxy

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Palpek posted:

If you decide to just let it go - at least play the big story DLC as it's a pretty cool self-contained package that goes nuts with the idea of Waschington becoming a tyrant, mind-controlling Franklin and building a giant pyramid in the middle of New York.

Can you actually climb this pyramid? This will be the deciding factor towards me buying the dlc.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Being able to have a smug gun-slinging mouseman in my group already makes Grimrock II worth it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I wonder how rare gun ammo is going to be though, it wont be reuseable like missile/thrown weapons for sure.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Is the workshop for Civ 5 showing no mods at all for anyone else?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Deakul posted:

Can you actually climb this pyramid? This will be the deciding factor towards me buying the dlc.
You don't get to climb it from the outside but you go to the top when you're inside.

KoB
May 1, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

I don't really care about how many cliches the creators end up mashing together as long as they do it well, seriously. And Korra isn't even anime, it's western animation :spergin:.

Isnt it all drawn in Korea?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

KoB posted:

:ssh:
Don't ruin it for these people.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

KoB posted:

Just like the Simpsons.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Underwhelmed posted:

Just like the Simpsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX1iplQQJTo

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

It's a very good technical achievement, I'll give them that, but it's sort of like RAGE in that respect in that you sort of wish a better game would have been built around that.

Let me get this clear, you're comparing Shadows of Mordor with Rage?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Hav posted:

Let me get this clear, you're comparing Shadows of Mordor with Rage?

If anything, Shadow of Mordor is like the first Assassin's Creed. Except that it's way less repetitive and the Nemesis system leads to some actual emergent narratives during gameplay that keep the game fun. Unless all you're interested in is the scripted story-driven bits.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

If you think Korra is the worst thing on television you really need to watch more television.

If there are things worse than Korra on it, no thanks.

Alternative answer: you're right I forgot Gotham is on.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

VodeAndreas posted:

AC3... I'm still playing it out of some misguided need to complete the series.

About 2/3rds of the way through the game has for the first time acknowledged the ending of AC2:Rev and within a few minutes of that Connor and Haytham meet again in game and for the first time casually acknowledge that they're related (and presumably Haytham's known all along too?) and they still want to kill each other but are also instantly working together.

This game is just so poo poo - it's sped up a bit at least after the first 10 hours of tutorial mode.

Let's point out that Connor is Jesus and is responsible for every single victory in the United States Revolution. The thing I love about other AC games is that they tend to just use the time and setting as a backdrop for their own story. AC3 just bastardizes that idea and places the main character as the primary catalyst for every single historical event it can, rather than just having him be a spectator doing his own poo poo while happening upon the big stuff. Don't even get me started on Paul Revere... :smithicide:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Any digger lovers on here getting Dig? Looks like a pretty cool game if you like diggers!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/311910/

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

The Grimace posted:

Let's point out that Connor is Jesus and is responsible for every single victory in the United States Revolution. The thing I love about other AC games is that they tend to just use the time and setting as a backdrop for their own story. AC3 just bastardizes that idea and places the main character as the primary catalyst for every single historical event it can, rather than just having him be a spectator doing his own poo poo while happening upon the big stuff. Don't even get me started on Paul Revere... :smithicide:

Well, some of like Forrest Gump.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Harminoff posted:

Any digger lovers on here getting Dig? Looks like a pretty cool game if you like diggers!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/311910/

You hosed up your link here I fixed it

http://store.steampowered.com/app/6040/

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

KoB posted:

I believe Korea is west of Japan, so :smugdog:

goddamn outsourcing :argh: anime is technically made in Japan only, but yeah the :spergin: emoticon is spot on in this case

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Palpek posted:

You don't get to climb it from the outside but you go to the top when you're inside.

And there goes any hope of me ever getting the DLC. :negative:

Also, Korra is mostly fantastic television.
It had a hiccup in the first half of Season 2 but it course corrected and has been really amazing since.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Zombie Samurai posted:

And just an FYI for people who bought them when they first launched on Steam, the Steam versions work in SCUMMVM now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Haha oh poo poo there are SHODAN and HAL 9000 Claptraps. This game is awesome. Borderlands Pre-Sequel is A-OK in my book!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 15, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Zombie Samurai posted:

That's a pretty neat game pack…

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tippis posted:

That's a pretty neat game pack…
If only LA hadn't deliberately hosed with the data files to make them incompatible with ScummVM...

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

And just an FYI for people who bought them when they first launched on Steam, the Steam versions work in SCUMMVM now.
Whoa, did LA fire someone?

Next you'll tell me Jedi Knight no longer requires Steam to run.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 15, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Haha oh poo poo there are SHODAN and HAL 9000 Claptraps. This game is awesome. Borderlands Pre-Sequel is A-OK in my book!
Preempting: Sounds like the Worst Game Ever because more than zero Claptraps are in it because Claptraps are Gaming Hitler because :goonsay:

What's the world like? Is there more areas like Opportunity from 2?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Is the loot better--and by better I mean "not exclusively gained from farming bosses and constantly retrying chests"? :smith:

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Morter posted:

Is the loot better--and by better I mean "not exclusively gained from farming bosses and constantly retrying chests"? :smith:

Anecdotal signs point to no.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Croccers posted:

Preempting: Sounds like the Worst Game Ever because more than zero Claptraps are in it because Claptraps are Gaming Hitler because :goonsay:

What's the world like? Is there more areas like Opportunity from 2?

But you kill so many claptraps in it.

I think the big H could be sort of Opportunish maybe?

Morter posted:

I've gotten 3 legendaries so far, 2 were just from random enemies. Haven't seen any in chests nor from bosses. There's also a grinding system where you can create new weapons, with a good chance for a better tier one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pirate Jet posted:

If there are things worse than Korra on it, no thanks.

Alternative answer: you're right I forgot Gotham is on.

I'm starting to think Goons don't know what good tv is. Hating Korra, Gotham, and NationZ is a crime.

• Locked thread