Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

drunken officeparty posted:

Nevermind apparently he is mostly doing it in russian anyway

"It seems like his money from TI3 is gone or close to it"

Perhaps the most telling thing about TI's growth that we rarely recognize is that Navi made almost as much money at TI4, even if their position was much less glamorous than second place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Radical posted:

league has a crazy streamer culture that dota never really had and i could probably write a drat essay about all the reasons why

Dota used to have big Twitch streamers as well. Singsing, RTZ, Dendi and Bulldog all pulled 20k+ viewers at the peak of their streaming careers. Even less popular pros like EE, Notail, Illidan and ice3 used to regularly get close to 10k viewers. They no longer stream on Twitch for various reasons. The current Twitch Dota streamer roster is pretty dire, and that wasn't the case a couple of years ago.

Internet Kraken posted:

What hero do you wanna pick to get the "Its Pure Magic" quest cause I'm struggling to think of anyone that deals magic damage in multiple increments over a short period of time.

The easiest by far is CM. A good cast of her ult will easily get the 20 hits without having to build anything special. Shadow Fiend is also good for this. Shadowblade into someone and ult.

Zeus depends too much on the enemy team being beefy enough to make Static Field hit for 100+. Veno can do it but it requires a lot of farm, you need level 16, Aghs and Veil to get Poison Nova ticks above the 100 treshold. Axe can work but is dependent on getting some good spin RNG which can be frustrating.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Yah dota on twitch has absolutely nobody anymore. Other than tournaments the best you will get is pubstars like Attacker! pulling in 2-3k viewers. Or Draskyl.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Doesn't League have games stream between matches in the client and that inflates numbers? Or did I have fever dream that?

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i started writing an essay but its late and i have work tomorrow

the tl;dr is literally every single thing, i tried to make a list and it was just too many things. the balance of the two games, the amount people care about the ladder, dota2 inheriting its viewership from hon while league has just always been there, dota pros just dont enjoy streaming that much and theres more people getting out from streaming to focus on tournaments than there are new people coming in, etc.

the russian scene is a bit closer to league, which probably just owes to being popular + lots more players than there are teams + no team besides navi has ever done well so who cares lets just make them streamer bux

edit: and i dont think most of this poo poo matters there just aren't enough players streaming because tournaments are so profitable in dota you might as well focus on them. playing in league LCS is basically like a worse version of being a streamer unless you're on a top team in your region that pays well: you grind out 10-12 hours of matches a day to prep for the stage games that weekend and riot keeps patching the loving game so you can never take a break or you might never catch back up to the other teams. compared to streaming where you grind out 10-12 hours of meaningless, chill pub games and have people throwing $4.20 donations at you while making the "at at at" noise in their donation comment. the money you get isn't as good as winning an international, but it sure beats the poo poo salary most LCS players are getting for the amount of effort they put in and the amount of stress they're getting out of it.

Radical fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 23, 2016

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
oh noooo...the garffff......

https://twitter.com/alexgarfield/status/767765664505311232

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Jerk McJerkface posted:

On twitch, LoL is consistently above 100k, while DOTA2 hovers around 20-30k except during the majors. Is LoL really on a decline, note that I don't care, I just stream DOTA while I work to have something to listen to.

Also, Heartstone and FPS streaming is awful to watch.

Three things:
  • Two thirds of that 100k are divided amongst their top 3~5 streamers.
  • When everyone only cares about the top 3~5 streamers like that, it makes everybody else more desperate to stand out and get noticed... and a lot of people use viewbotting to get around that.
  • They never had replays, so the only way to watch pros has always been by religiously following their streams.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Are female streamers in skimpy outfits and deliberately bending over for the camera still a thing on Twitch?

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Yep, Twitch did a banwave over their nudity rules or whatever and then they just slowly filtered back in.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

:tizzy:

diarmuidqq posted:

Yep, Twitch did a banwave over their nudity rules or whatever and then they just slowly filtered back in.

Its great seeing some stream where the face cam takes up 90% of it and then some tiny little box of Dota is off in the corner. At that point why even bother with the whole facade.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Ragingsheep posted:

Are female streamers in skimpy outfits and deliberately bending over for the camera still a thing on Twitch?

I think that's one of the inalienable parts of Twitch. Keep in mind that one of said streamers came in 3rd at the TI6 cosplay competition as "Sexy Roshan."

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That Roshan costume was really good. It was only like one of two costumes in that whole thing that would have stood a chance in Manila, where madmen design Clockwork suits that have synchronized mouth movements, and Doom with light-up eyes, and Tinker with actual working Boots of Travel.

TI's Enchantress didn't even have two artificial legs dragging behind her, let alone a man in a chicken costume to deliver her aghs.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
LC, Omni, and Zett twins were all better than Sexy Rosh.

Discussion over.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ragingsheep posted:

Yeah.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Dota 2 streamers will start more after the International hangover, hopefully there will be more NEL games. It's not like it used to be but there's a reason it dried up in the summer.

Regarding other bad games I got really excited to come back to SC2 because of the tankivac and now David Kim's going to patch it out. :mad:

I didnt mind the hero grind in HotS, it just wasn't a whole lot of fun compared to a back and forth Dota game. Most games were a slow grind, and you needed to be able to veto battlegrounds because sometimes you'd just want to kill pirate ship man or those stupid heaven and hell guys.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zurreco posted:

I think that's one of the inalienable parts of Twitch. Keep in mind that one of said streamers came in 3rd at the TI6 cosplay competition as "Sexy Roshan."

How dare you call it "Sexy Roshan." Just because she had a deep cut for her cleavage to show more pronounced doesn't mean she was trying to sexualize the character of Roshan.
:colbert:

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 23, 2016

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Roshan is genderless and misgendering them is too typical of the dota cosplay community

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I sexually identify as a lvl1 Roshan

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org

Ojetor posted:

Dota used to have big Twitch streamers as well. Singsing, RTZ, Dendi and Bulldog all pulled 20k+ viewers at the peak of their streaming careers. Even less popular pros like EE, Notail, Illidan and ice3 used to regularly get close to 10k viewers. They no longer stream on Twitch for various reasons. The current Twitch Dota streamer roster is pretty dire, and that wasn't the case a couple of years ago.

Bulldog has been streaming pretty much everyday since he came back. Dendi streams very irregularly but he pops up every now and then. Rtz and ee were streaming on panda.tv, now with the secret drama they might come back to Twitch. OG were streaming on hitbox but thats finished now. Apart from that you are right though, the main stays are CIS streamers and waga during US hours.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Voted Worst Mom posted:

I sexually identify as a lvl1 Roshan

:same:

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Wouldn't be surprised to see arteezy stay on panda, his chat on twitch gets nuts. Moreso than twitch chat usually does, even

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Bad Moon posted:

Doesn't League have games stream between matches in the client and that inflates numbers? Or did I have fever dream that?

League had a thing in its client that would watch twitch streams in the background if you had it open.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Roshan has a dick dont ask how I know this.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Can anyone who played Pitlord in Dota 1 tell me how to play Pitlord?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think another important reason that Dota is so successful as an esport is because the frog asks pros for opinions about the state of the game, and Valve actually listens to the community, even if it's over dumb stuff that gets frontpaged on reddit. It's a stark contrast to Overwatch, where it seems like Blizzard is actively trying to shoot itself in the foot on creating a competitive scene. Every Overwatch tournament uses a stopwatch mode, and then Blizzard says outright they don't like stopwatch mode and aren't going to implement that system so now during tournaments you've got the casters with the clock app open timing the games themselves. Hell, tournaments have to use some website to do map drafting because Blizzard still haven't implemented any sort of map drafting into their game. It makes you appreciate Valve a bit more when you think about all the hoops Overwatch tournaments have to jump through just to play the game.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I haven't been following it closely but i just saw an overwatch tourney this weekend and it looked like they just used whatever timing system blizzard made so maybe you're full of poo poo??

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dicks assassin posted:

Roshan has a dick dont ask how I know this.

I know what you did you loving assassin of dicks.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

That was an overlay made by the ESL production company, not visible in-game, only on the stream. There are tons of streams I've seen where the casters joke about forgetting to set their watches so they ask someone for the time, but I'm not gonna sift through hours of video so here's a clip of the in-game HUD along with an admin typing the time in chat since there's currently no way to check in-game. Even the team names above each character portrait along with how many games have been won in the series are overlays in this clip though, custom lobbies contain no extra accommodations for competitive play such as places to put team names or anything like that.

also why would I lie about that :colbert:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
No i mean blizzard changed how comp matches are won/lost like a couple times already and i think the tourney this weekend just let the game decide who won so why would an external timer be needed anymore.

Your vid is from like a month ago.

I could be wrong though i was just playing it on a second monitor.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Also, Heartstone and FPS streaming is awful to watch.

yup

Zurreco posted:

LC, Omni, and Zett twins were all better than Sexy Rosh.

Discussion over.

pls dont shittalk my waifu kittyplays

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 23, 2016

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
they were judging for 6 hours i think they know better thanw e do lol.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

You are wrong

If you look at exhibit A, the pink arrows, you might notice that there's two clocks on the screen. Aside from it being weird for a game to give itself two clocks, if you watch the actual replay, you'll notice the clocks aren't even synced, so one will tick down, and then a half-second later the other one will tick up. The rightmost pink arrow is pointing at an overlay clock, not actually in the game. In fact, the entirety of the top part of the screen in purely an overlay, including the team names, the little flags, and also the 0's, indicating how many games in the five game series each team has won, as currently Overwatch lobbies have no way to track the concept of multiple games in a series, as opposed to dota where you can check little boxes that show win tallies.

Secondly, if the game shows a victory screen, then that team will always have won, but that's because teams will gg out when they lose, meaning it won't go to a victory screen. So, for example, if someone reaches the end of a payload map, they've won that half, but they also count how fast they did it. If they manage to clear the map in three minutes, and three minutes go by in the next game when the other team is attacking, they'll just gg out so it never goes to a victory screen. They do this to avoid the in-game system of tiebreaker, which is sudden death and is loving awful, so all tournaments play a custom game mode with sudden death turned off. The devs have said that the current sudden death system, a literal coinflip to determine who will attack or defend, is awful so they're looking at changing it, but the only reason it was taken out of the game is because sudden death only exists in competitive mode, which was removed from the game due to the end of competitive season one.

Looking at this video reminded me of another reason Overwatch is awful to watch though, and that's the red vs blue mechanic. Teams never switch color based on sides, so you can't tell who's on offense or defense at a glance, or tell who's winning based on payload progress since it could be either team.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
Cool

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Oh ok. Well if coinflips are getting taken out then it's fine right, blizzard's making progress v:shobon:v

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
IIRC dota match ticker was an overlay at first as well. That being said, valve has done a good job of taking innovative approaches to the in-game UI and integrating them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The reason Blizzard doesn't want to implement Stopwatch is because people don't like watching it. They want Overwatch to be fun to watch as an Esport, which is at odds with it actually being able to play it as one. This wouldn't be an issue if their map design wasn't so poor that every Attack/Defense map ends with Attack winning in pro play.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

That dumb red bull tournament we were talking about is dead because of course no teams want to commit to something a month after TI. Also there's a really interesting bone7 interview transcript that was posted on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/4z56mg/bone7_on_c9_kaipi_captaining_secret_wings_and/

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Forev is now officially off MVPP btw http://www.dota2.com/majorsregistration/list

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Pitlord released which is cool but also zero balance changes which is: ????????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Pitlord released which is cool but also zero balance changes which is: ????????????

You mean the balance patch from literally 4 days ago was too long ago?

• Locked thread