Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Grand Fromage posted:

Jesus was Korean, yeah. Jews are Koreans so I guess in that respect they're a lost tribe?

How many eyelids do Jews have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

pentyne posted:

The one thing Koreans are better at then everyone else is taking Christianity and going completely loving insane cult style with it.

I don't know man, USA gave us Mormons.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Grand Fromage posted:

Jesus was Korean, yeah. Jews are Koreans so I guess in that respect they're a lost tribe?

That's in the ballpark but that still has a positive connotation. You'll have Koreans say "That person is my friend, I hate him" and mean it because chingu = friend in the dictionary, but chingu doesn't have a specific positive or negative meaning in Korean.

My Korean is not great but this is how I learned/friends explained to me. Jeong really should be the translation for friend(ship).

Cohort maybe?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Atlas Hugged posted:

I don't know man, USA gave us Mormons.

Yeah but Korea gave us sun myung moon.

http://www.unification.net/leesanghun/leesanghun20020701.html

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Oh I'm up to date on the Moon guy, but Mormons have a much longer history at this point with all sorts of insanity mixed into their practices and beliefs, plus their global missionary outreach is drat frightening. I know there are Moonies outside of Korea, but they've got nothing on the Latter Day Saints.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japan has the "classmate" doukyusei 同級生 meaning friend too. Tbh it's rare to have friends here that can't be called classmate or coworker or cousin instead.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Jeoh posted:

Camaraderie, kind of?

I would say a non-business connotation of 'Associate'. Literally you just happen to share an institution and a space.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Still looks better than My Pet Dinosaur.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

WarpedNaba posted:

I would say a non-business connotation of 'Associate'. Literally you just happen to share an institution and a space.

Peer is what I was thinking. You wouldn't actually say, "This person is one of my peers, I hate him." but I think it works as a translation.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

suburban virgin posted:

Peer is what I was thinking. You wouldn't actually say, "This person is one of my peers, I hate him." but I think it works as a translation.

Acquaintance doesn't mean more than "a person you know", right?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
As someone mentioned, cohort, or batchmate I've also heard for the concept. In Japanese douki often just gets italicized and used as-is.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It's a man you cannot defeat by way of arms or sex and so you have relegated them to a dual role of ally/rival. Heavy tension is a must.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Soundboz posted:

I had a Chinese friend in middle school who swore up and down that China invented pizza so idk

He might have just been a dumb middle-schooler though

I've heard people claim that Norwegians invented pizza too. Any culture that has a kind of flat bread will claim to have invented the pizza at some point.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Sounds more like "peer". Person you're kinda the same age group/lifestyle/etc. Doesn't mean you like them or anything.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

simplefish posted:

How many eyelids do Jews have?

They have a nictitating membrane like sharks.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Why is the word "moreover" so popular among ESL students in China? Is "furthermore" not enough?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

nickmeister posted:

Why is the word "moreover" so popular among ESL students in China? Is "furthermore" not enough?

well, firstly

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
意思 is the most annoying, when they say interesting when they mean fun. I like to play basketball, it is very interesting.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

nickmeister posted:

Sup moreover hating buddy

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Jeoh posted:

well, firstly

Besides,

Then,

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So what's the pinyin and characters for "relax, take a rest"??

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

simplefish posted:

Besides,

Then,

you mean

secondly,

thirdly,

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Allow me to waste an entire paragraph rewriting the question,

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Xerxes17 posted:

So what's the pinyin and characters for "relax, take a rest"??

Vesi posted:

xiūxiyīxià just rolls off the tongue

休息一下

Vesi fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 21, 2017

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

picture taken on my daily walk today, like 4 miles away I found this nice little set up

picture taken on my daily walk on Tuesday, behind my apartment

China is cool and good

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
THe sky is far too clear in those photos to be china

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone told me how bad the pollution would be here but I think we've only had one day over 200 in the past few months? It's spring now the pollution goes away this time of year

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

The Great Autismo! posted:

one day over 200

You realize that in non-polluted wastelands people don't even know what this means? They would be like "200 degrees....?"

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

200 pollutions? Sounds like a lot tbh

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

200 pollutions is a lot. I get feeling it over 70 or 80

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

For comparison a really bad day in an American city with air pollution issues like Vegas or LA is 100-ish. A normal day in a medium city is like 20-40.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

If you ever watch Parts Unknown, there's a very good explanation in the Seoul episode, too. (That episode is soooooo good and it makes me want to go to the jjimjilbang.)

My wife and I think that jimjilbangs have some sort of memory eraser that engages when you leave the building.

Her: "We should go to the jimjilbang tonight, have not been for a week or two."
Me: "Yeah, you're right. I would love to go have a sweat and spend the night."
Her: "Ok, let's go after supper."

<gets blasted by the smell of kimchi, cigarettes and soju that's being sweated out of every pore of Korean salarymen>
<makes direct eye contact with a Korean man who has been blow-drying and teasing his pubes for 37 minutes straight>
<random Korean lady in the hot tub blasts my wife with 4 sentences in rapid fire Korean, my wife just nods, Korean lady grabs her boobs>
<adjoshi sits waaaaay too close for comfort in the hot tub, nearly on my lap, he smiles and nods>
<random kids smashing into every person and surface while they play tag in the communal room>
<start off in the 80 degree room and nearly throw up>
<discovers egg shells that are stuck between toes>
<this jimjilbang got rid of all of their pillows>
<guy starts badmouthing my wife in Korean for hooking up with a foreigner>
<sleep approximately 35 minutes the whole night because I can't get comforetable and there is someone loudly clearing their throat every 35 seconds>
<wake up with a kink in my neck>

ONE WEEK LATER

"We should go to the jimjilbang tonight, have not been for a week or two."
"Yeah, you're right. I would love to go have a sweat and spend the night."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I never went to a jjimjilbang and I don't regret it at all.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

angel opportunity posted:

You realize that in non-polluted wastelands people don't even know what this means? They would be like "200 degrees....?"

loving mind reader, that was my exact thought

EDIT:

Grand Fromage posted:

I never went to a jjimjilbang and I don't regret it at all.

I tried going once when I first arrived and they wouldn't let me in bc tattoos and I never really regretted it.Being stared at while being naked is creepy enough at the gym without the tacit understanding you'll get groped in your sleep

ladron fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 21, 2017

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
When I was in Vietnam my friend and I went to an Elizabeth Arden branded spa for a massage. It was amazing. Salt scrub, oh and these ladies scrubbed EVERYTHING except my actual genitals. At one point I asked my friend if she was trying to scrub his rear end in a top hat and he said "yeah, I'm clinching to keep her out", I was just like I'm giving myself over to her. Then a seaweed mud rub which was allowed to sit for 20 minutes or so, a mud scrape, then a shower in which the lady came into the bathroom to give me my towel while completely checking me out, then an hour Swedish massage after that. And it was like $30 for about 2 hours of treatment. If I could go back in time I would have done it a few more times.

So after all that my friend looks up this place that is a Korean style massage house. They tell him it's like a buffet, you can get this or that. So this is the next day. We go in and it's just a different vibe, lots of toady lookin old Korean dudes wandering around naked. They put us on this steel tables, hose us off and a giant Vietnamese dude scrubs us down with a cloth and soap bar like an animal. Then we steam, more naked old dudes walking around and go to a large open lounge that has comfy big chairs with heart shaped pillows on them, footrests for getting leg massages (these were awesome), and a box of cigarettes and fruit on a plate. I don't smoke but smoked one anyway while we watched a James Bond flick that was completely dubbed by a single old Vietnamese woman. My friend is half Vietnamese and speaks the language and was seriously pissed off at the terrible dubbing.

The next stop was to go with two women into private rooms for a massage. My friend overhears the woman said to the other one "They are beautiful!" and tells me this. She gave me a mostly traditional massage except she was sitting on or pressing on me at times. Not grabbing my junk but it was a little odd and there was a TV in the room so I dunno. She did ask if I ever had sex with a Vietnamese lady and I said No but I'd like to one day and that was that. To this day I don't know if we were expected to gently caress these ladies or not. My friend is gay so he wasn't going to go there and I didn't want to have sex with a hooker but still I was curious what the deal was but guessing it was a buffet option.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
sort of reminds me of Thailand. First day I'm there I go get a massage in the hotel's massage place and they give me this weird mesh underwear. It was kind of odd but the massage was fantastic. I do remember when I got my final massage the night before I left there was a card that explicitly said "You are not to touch the masseuse nor ask for sexual favors or we'll call the cops"

God Thai massages were the best. There was this little shop down the road from my friend's place that did them for like 60 baht, oldish Thai ladies. They moved my joints in ways that I never thought were possible but holy poo poo did I feel good the next day.

I kinda miss Thailand in some respects.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Ron Darling posted:

sort of reminds me of Thailand. First day I'm there I go get a massage in the hotel's massage place and they give me this weird mesh underwear. It was kind of odd but the massage was fantastic. I do remember when I got my final massage the night before I left there was a card that explicitly said "You are not to touch the masseuse nor ask for sexual favors or we'll call the cops"

God Thai massages were the best. There was this little shop down the road from my friend's place that did them for like 60 baht, oldish Thai ladies. They moved my joints in ways that I never thought were possible but holy poo poo did I feel good the next day.

I kinda miss Thailand in some respects.
Every massage I got there was $5 in 2002. They are good, rough but good. The one thing I didn't like was ye' ol neckcrack.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fojar38 posted:

"Older = Better" seems to be a trait of East Asian nationalism and if you're the oldest obviously you've invented most things

Most nationalisms seem to be like that/ Gotta prove you're the best!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thai nightclubs are the weirdest - in lots of them the bathroom attendants will put a hot towel on your neck while youre pissing and start giving you a shoulder massage. They dont even ask, they just get right to it. The first time it ever happened I thought I was getting assaulted or something, it was the most bizarre experience. The worst was when one of them just grabbed my head and loving cranked my neck so that it cracked. I mean, it actually felt kinda good afterwards but that just cant be good for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Sten Freak posted:

Every massage I got there was $5 in 2002. They are good, rough but good. The one thing I didn't like was ye' ol neckcrack.

Yeah that part I felt like I was going to end up with a snapped neck

• Locked thread