Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The card is clearly meant to be your second Gaea's Cradle in edh people, come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
yup

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the only way "no trading" ends up as a positive is if they design the game with that in mind and make stuff attainable and cheap. there's a very real possibility that "no trading" exists because they don't want people making multiple accounts to farm stuff with no actual compensation for the inability to get cards other ways

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

anglachel posted:

Modern Elves doesnt seem like a deck that would want this card. The only 3 mana and higher plays that elves plays is Ezuri, ArchDruid, CoCo, and Chord, and all of those have a bigger impact and do more the turn they are played than this card. The fact that it doesnt come online till your end step is a big deal. Earliest you can get it down in Elves is turn 2, and it still wont flip that turn.

I know this is Christmas hand but on the draw you can flip it turn 2 and Coco opponents eot.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'd have to assume there is some type of crafting in the game. Otherwise, people won't buy packs after they've opened a certain number because the duplicates will be useless. I doubt you'll be able to pick the card you craft into, but there has to be some way to make sure you don't end up with useless cards.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Also that Carnage Tyrant card sucks and is going to be terrible to play against for the next two years (or however long).

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mezzanon posted:

And the reason the legacy version plays Craterhoof is because they have access to Gaea's Cradle.

You mean Natural Order and GSZ. Also Cradle is a reliable turn 2 play in a deck that wants to win on turn 3. This is an extremely unreliable turn 3 play in a deck that wants to win on turn 3.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
As someone who could care less about constructed or maintaining a parallel collection to paper or dealing with bots I am looking hell of forward to cheap easy endless drafts. They might even have elo so you play against good opponents!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

You mean Natural Order and GSZ. Also Cradle is a reliable turn 2 play in a deck that wants to win on turn 3. This is an extremely unreliable turn 3 play in a deck that wants to win on turn 3.

I mean you're probably right but that doesn't mean I won't continue to think this card is cool (and possibly good)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Mezzanon posted:

I mean you're probably right but that doesn't mean I won't continue to think this card is cool (and possibly good)

Everyone is bad at card evaluation. Which is why I just buy 4 of every card and call it a day.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Mezzanon posted:

I like it too but I don't think getting a bunch of mana on turn 4 is very good in a turn 3 goldfish deck that will have approximately infinite mana on turn 4 most of the time anyway. It's definitely nice in commander though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

As someone who could care less about constructed or maintaining a parallel collection to paper or dealing with bots I am looking hell of forward to cheap easy endless drafts. They might even have elo so you play against good opponents!

Basically. I haven't joined MODO because I don't care about playing constructed remotely and drafting is too expensive. If they make this a decent drafting program, I'll probably pick it up. (And my wet-dream scenario is they program just enough legacy cards to make some decent cubing. That would seal it for me.)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mezzanon posted:

I think it's a good card just not one for elves.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Everyone is bad at card evaluation. Which is why I just buy 4 of every card and call it a day.

I try to go against the grain during spoiler season with "this could have potential" instead of "HOT TRASH NOT LIGHTBUNG BOLT"

I hope there's a constructed deck that favorable winds is good in.

Also I think that 1 mana siren that counters is great!

Thank you for reading my bad opinions.

Edit: chart a course is a good card that will see play probably

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 8, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dehtraen posted:

Also that Carnage Tyrant card sucks and is going to be terrible to play against for the next two years (or however long).

I think it's closer to just terrible.

Also the Geia's cradle enchantment is wayyyyy too slow for modern elves.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

Old format support might not be enough to keep people coming back to one of the worst interfaces ever made. Collections are going to tank.

My MTGO collection and HD-DVD's will be worth about the same

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
When do the new planeswalker rules go into effect? I want to try playing a Jund build with like 6-7 Lilianas.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Everyone is bad at card evaluation.

I would disagree insofar as every bad card is correctly identified by this thread as bad, it's just that all the good cards are also identified as bad

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ThePeavstenator posted:

When do the new planeswalker rules go into effect? I want to try playing a Jund build with like 6-7 Lilianas.

Not until Ixalan's release.

Someone might also try to reach across the table and swing at you, so get ready to duck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ThePeavstenator posted:

Not enough imo.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mcmagic posted:

I can easily imagine a deck like Temur Tower fitting a copy of this guy and protecting it with counterspells and it being quite miserable

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sit on my Facebook posted:

I can easily imagine a deck like Temur Tower fitting a copy of this guy and protecting it with counterspells and it being quite miserable

I can't see a Temur deck ever wanting to play this before the 4th Gearhulk. Why is that card any better than someone like Sphinx of the Final Word that was never played in standard?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

mcmagic posted:

In my local meta lots of people exclusively play ramp, even if the card is hot trash and terrible it says uncounterable, trample, hexproof and it is a big body... people are going to play it and it'll be lovely to play against.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I can't see a Temur deck ever wanting to play this before the 4th Gearhulk. Why is that card any better than someone like Sphinx of the Final Word that was never played in standard?

Sphinx was in that bad cycling combo deck as a way to win through a counter. But otherwise I agree that in decks that can cast both, you want the sphinx.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

sit on my Facebook posted:

I would disagree insofar as every bad card is correctly identified by this thread as bad, it's just that all the good cards are also identified as bad

What about new Gideon? It was argued endlessly and two sets after his release and no one is sure if he's good or not yet.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

don't know what Carnage Tyrant will do in constructed but it's going to be a cube superstar for sure.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dehtraen posted:

In my local meta lots of people exclusively play ramp, even if the card is hot trash and terrible it says uncounterable, trample, hexproof and it is a big body... people are going to play it and it'll be lovely to play against.

There is nothing good to ramp into in standard right now.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I have a mono white human token deck that I'm bringing to my first Friday Night Magic tomorrow. Am I going to get crushed?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

for those people who, like me, missed the stream and therefore the spoilers:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
interesting to print thundering spineback with no mana cost, Show and Tell confirmed???

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

interesting to print thundering spineback with no mana cost, Show and Tell confirmed???

I don't they would put a card with no casting cost at uncommon...

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Commune with Dinosaurs is a funny as gently caress name.

Chart a Course seems good in a UR or UW tempo deck.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

mandatory lesbian posted:

That looks like it was a screen shot form the battlefield. I think Arena doesn't show the mana cost once something is in play unless you zoom in to the details.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Commune and the Huntmaster are okay. Chart a Course looks actually good. Even Draw two then Discard is better than Tormenting Voice.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheDemon posted:

Commune and the Huntmaster are okay. Chart a Course looks actually good. Even Draw two then Discard is better than Tormenting Voice.

Almost as if blue does everything red does better.

I can't really say that anymore, gently caress.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

GoutPatrol posted:

Commune with Dinosaurs is a funny as gently caress name.

Chart a Course seems good in a UR or UW tempo deck.

Lowest effort card name ever

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Gyshall posted:

Lowest effort card name ever

thats why its funny

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Smashing Link posted:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Now that's a card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Smashing Link posted:

:v: