Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rocco posted:

I try to see things from a lot of different sides but I legitimately cannot think of anything in Lost's ending that made the show "pointless" whether you like it or not.

The ending had hardly anything to do with 6 seasons of plot threads, some of which went completely unresolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The ending of Lost actually resolved the entire series arc pretty well, with the final battle between Jack and the Man In Black, Hurley and Ben taking over the island, the actual nature of the island being pretty specifically revealed as much as you could ever hope, the remaining islanders going home on the chopper, etc. If you think of the "ending" as being literally the final five minutes, then yeah, it had little to do with the rest of the plot but, as far as I'm concerned that's basically an epilogue. The whole flash-sideways part of the final season was the epilogue, and the final twist/reveal was that you were actually watching the epilogue during the flash-sideways for the whole last season when you thought you were watching something else. If you didn't like it that's fine, same as the Twin Peaks finale, but I can't agree that it did anything uncharacteristic or ruined anything previously seen. It's an almost Pavlovian conditioning that TV should be a certain way, like people who cite "Chekov's Gun" as if it's some scientific law rather than something some guy said once, even though I find the audience's hyper-awareness of traditional narrative structure to be extremely limiting in modern television. Game of Thrones has been succumbing to all the traditional storytelling cliches this last season or two, and it has noticeably impacted my interest in the series. Every time a dramatic musical cue is accompanied by something I already knew was going to happen (looking at you, ice dragon), I feel like I'm being patronized, and I can confidently say Twin Peaks didn't make me feel that way a single time. I can't really say that about Lost, but the ending at least didn't feel like the obvious conclusion that was supposed to happen.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I'm not sure where the right place to ask this is, but does anybody know where I can find a good Dougie-Green jacket for a Halloween costume?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I'm not sure where the right place to ask this is, but does anybody know where I can find a good Dougie-Green jacket for a Halloween costume?

Your local retro-thrift stores. No, seriously. Almost any town with a bit of coolness and 100K people has them tucked away somewhere and they all have vomit-green oversized polyester jackets. Too many, in fact.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My main problem with Lost was that the main villain ended up way more sympathetic and reasonable than any of the characters I was supposed to actually like or care about at the end, to the point that I feel the show was pushing some weird morals in the end by having him be the villain.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 9, 2017

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

kaworu posted:

Your local retro-thrift stores. No, seriously. Almost any town with a bit of coolness and 100K people has them tucked away somewhere and they all have vomit-green oversized polyester jackets. Too many, in fact.

Yup, that's where I'm going for my Tulpa_Diane costume parts.

GP2 Boyfriend is going as The Farm Accountant :3:

Dirt Road Junglist fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 9, 2017

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I just realized how many ill-conceived and grotesque Woodsman costumes we're gonna see this year.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Lester Shy posted:

I just realized how many ill-conceived and grotesque Woodsman costumes we're gonna see this year.

Thanks! My new Halloween Drinking Game is going to be, "Woodsman or Blackface?"

I live in Portland, so if you don't hear from me in November, I'm probably in the hospital recovering from alcohol poisoning.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Geez, I was actually considering being a woodsman and didn't even think about the blackface.:smith:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Astrochicken posted:

Twin Peaks season 3 is Chrono Cross.

season 2 is chrono cross. season 3? chrono break. let that poo poo sink in.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Vikar Jerome posted:

season 2 is chrono cross. season 3? chrono break. let that poo poo sink in.

Chrono cross was good though

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

SeANMcBAY posted:

Geez, I was actually considering being a woodsman and didn't even think about the blackface.:smith:

If I was going to attempt this (i'm not), I would rub a really "sooty" textured dark gray color on, then I would try to get my face sweaty for a bit and frown and smile a bunch so the paint got really creased so it verrrry obviously was supposed to be ash from a fire and not an Al Jolson caper.

Frankly, I'm looking forward to some Sarah Palmer Hell Face costumes this year

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Data Graham posted:

It means "pork fried rice"

if garmonbozia was pork fried rice a lot of the problems in Twin Peaks would be solved.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Raxivace posted:

My main problem with Lost was that the main villain ended up way more sympathetic and reasonable than any of the characters I was supposed to actually like or care about at the end, to the point that I feel the show was pushing some weird morals in the end by having him be the villain.

Yeah the way he killed, like, crowds of people and endangered humanity made him almost lovable. WTF?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rocco posted:

Yeah the way he killed, like, crowds of people and endangered humanity made him almost lovable. WTF?
He only killed people because his brother who kept him imprisoned for the terrible crime of not wanting to be trapped on an island for literally thousands of years concocted magical rules that required him to kill random people to gain his freedom. When actually presented with an option to escape without killing people, he takes it- killing for the sake of it was never his goal. His goal was freedom.

He was never a threat to humanity.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I... kinda didn't feel like he was a "main villain" in any kind of real or actual sense. Why does he get the title of main villain? Because he wore black and Jacob wore white?

I always thought it was all about shades of grey from the very beginning. Hell, when you said "main villain" I thought you meant Ben, who is probably much more of a "main villain" across the breadth of the series than anyone else. But obviously he's no more a villain than many other characters, and honestly does find some redemption but not total redemption. To the end, Ben was the best-written and well-developed character, for my money.

So I dunno. I guess I had a different take-away from it all. Jacob seemed like a dick and at least as much of a Machiavellian character as The Man in Black from the start. They're creatures of fate and circumstance, like everyone else on the island.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Raxivace posted:

He only killed people because his brother who kept him imprisoned for the terrible crime of not wanting to be trapped on an island for literally thousands of years concocted magical rules that required him to kill random people to gain his freedom. When actually presented with an option to escape without killing people, he takes it- killing for the sake of it was never his goal. His goal was freedom.

He was never a threat to humanity.

He was definitely screwed by a lot of stuff out of his control- the goal of the show was definitely to show you that people aren't born evil, that it's about their intention and what they do with it, etc.
But I think you missed an underlying thing about the final season. We are told that if he makes it off the island, "we all go to hell." For him to leave, it meant the destruction of the island, which was the thing keeping all evil at bay/keeping humanity from going to hell/keeping all time from ending/whatever your interpretation is. That was the only way he could leave. Yeah, he got screwed, but he was screwing over ALL LIFE in exchange for his personal freedom.

You are definitely supposed to think that sucks, and he got screwed. You are definitely supposed to be mixed about the situation. I think the show goes a long way to show that nobody is purely good or evil. Everything is debatable. Debate is good!

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
we interrupt this LOST derail for an important international performance

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2117618575132031/permalink/2153395361554352/

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Thanks! My new Halloween Drinking Game is going to be, "Woodsman or Blackface?"

I live in Portland, so if you don't hear from me in November, I'm probably in the hospital recovering from alcohol poisoning.

The peaks meme/shitpost facebook group has been hashing out this issue for literally months

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Is lost worth watching? I thought it was some survivor clone and never gave it a look.

I'm really going to miss watching twin peaks every few weeks I was starting to take it for granted. Amazing year for television.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

DropsySufferer posted:

Is lost worth watching? I thought it was some survivor clone and never gave it a look.

I'm really going to miss watching twin peaks every few weeks I was starting to take it for granted. Amazing year for television.

I'm super confused by all these people who say the ending was good. It was one of those things that just instantly made everyone regret giving a poo poo in the first place. I mean everyone all got together and agreed LOST was bad. I already forgot everything about it because, poo poo, we all agreed! We all threw out our DVDs and everything!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Krinkle posted:

I'm super confused by all these people who say the ending was good. It was one of those things that just instantly made everyone regret giving a poo poo in the first place. I mean everyone all got together and agreed LOST was bad. I already forgot everything about it because, poo poo, we all agreed! We all threw out our DVDs and everything!

I haven't watched Lost, but this:

Rocco posted:

For him to leave, it meant the destruction of the island, which was the thing keeping all evil at bay/keeping humanity from going to hell/keeping all time from ending/whatever your interpretation is. That was the only way he could leave. Yeah, he got screwed, but he was screwing over ALL LIFE in exchange for his personal freedom.

sounds like the most abstract, contrived ethical dilemma imaginable. It's just straight up fantasy. I can't even conceive of an analogous real world situation.

When I recently watched season three with my dad, he asked me "What am I supposed to take away from this?" I told him what I think, and then we spent a while talking about the nature of action and intent. Twin Peaks is really crazy, but its core ideas are very simple.

Just from an outside perspective, it seems like Lost just doesn't have a simple core idea.

And More fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 10, 2017

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The core idea of Lost is different people trapped on a mysterious island who try to understand it as well as thenselves and each other.

It's an ok show. Very uneven.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Attitude Indicator posted:

The core idea of Lost is different people trapped on a mysterious island who try to understand it as well as thenselves and each other.

It's an ok show. Very uneven.

What did you take away from it?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Blu-ray extras sound cool: http://bbfc.co.uk/search/releases/TWIN+PEAKS+2017+

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Please Lynch give us Season 3's Missing Pieces one day :pray:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
And long too, if those time stamps are accurate. That's about 3 hours 15 minutes worth of extras.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

And More posted:

What did you take away from it?

Don't be a tertiary character on a deserted island.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Don't be a tertiary character on a deserted island.

One of my favorite Psych quotes

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Flyinglemur posted:

One of my favorite Psych quotes

Is it a quote? I've never seen psych

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Is it a quote? I've never seen psych

no. It was just a running gag in the series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW3PuMGyv88

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Krinkle posted:

My friend said I missed a really obvious ham handed metaphor about how americans are fat and dumb and don't give a poo poo about anything if it gets in the way of their stories and I just want to clarify: The fat lady laying on her horn after the gun accident, screaming to move out of the way, she was going to the hospital, right? not home to watch tv? Because of her daughter dying of whatever the gently caress in the passenger seat? Or was it really a ham fisted americans are fat idiots who ignore gun violence and only get angry if something disturbs their routine even a little?

I thought it was Lynch responding to people who get mad at him for telling his stories at his own pace. She sounded to me just like people who were watching the show but were angry because "nothing is happening" (when in fact, just like in that scene, stuff was definitely happening).

Obviously Lynch wasn't responding directly to people who were watching S3 of Twin Peaks because the show was entirely in the can before it aired, but he gets that sort of complaint about a lot of his work and was probably expecting it from Twin Peaks S3 too.

He's not above ham-fisted metaphor, for example the axe through the TV at the start of "Fire Walk With Me".

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Please Lynch give us Season 3's Missing Pieces one day :pray:

I'm pretty sure Sabrina Sutherland said in her AMA that literally every scene shot was included in the show.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I heard there's an extended cut of the french prostitute putting on her clothes

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

That's just a rumor, I guess to maintain the surprise for that three hour orchestral rendition of "Green Onions" at the roadhouse.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm still waiting for someone to make, like, a full-on classic Ron Gilbert-style Twin Peaks adventure game using all those lovely static shots he uses. The place where the Fireman lives and the Red Room would just translate so drat well. What am I saying, the whole thing would translate so drat well. Yeah I know Deadly Premonition exists but I'm talking about a very specific type of game here from a very specific time.

There were just so many shots from Season 3 (in Episode 8 in the Fireman's tower for example) that were incredibly visually evocative of an adventure game in the way the characters moved through the spaces and the manner in which Lynch sets up his trademark static shots. Actually, the game it reminded me the absolute most of was the massively underrated The Longest Journey (2001 I think) which was IMO the last and best of all the classic adventure games from 1991-2001 and is like perfect culmination of the genre. The backgrounds in that game only feel similar in the level of detail and that you'd move through rather large spaces that were physically very consistent at times and beautifully detailed in terms of the backgrounds.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

kaworu posted:

I'm still waiting for someone to make, like, a full-on classic Ron Gilbert-style Twin Peaks adventure game using all those lovely static shots he uses. The place where the Fireman lives and the Red Room would just translate so drat well. What am I saying, the whole thing would translate so drat well. Yeah I know Deadly Premonition exists but I'm talking about a very specific type of game here from a very specific time.

You'd end up with Limbo of the Lost.

fake edit: Have you played Syberia? I really like it and I bet it'd be up your alley.

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 10, 2017

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

And More posted:

I haven't watched Lost, but this:

sounds like the most abstract, contrived ethical dilemma imaginable. It's just straight up fantasy. I can't even conceive of an analogous real world situation.

When I recently watched season three with my dad, he asked me "What am I supposed to take away from this?" I told him what I think, and then we spent a while talking about the nature of action and intent. Twin Peaks is really crazy, but its core ideas are very simple.

Just from an outside perspective, it seems like Lost just doesn't have a simple core idea.

I mean, it does, but you haven't watched the show and this is a Twin Peaks thread so :shrug:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I wish the thread title could be a gif :allears: