Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've been using song ratings a lot to have an easy way of listening to the songs I like and also to remove songs from my iPhone that I don't like. I have a couple of questions, though:

- Is there any way to sync iTunes ratings with the actual ID3 tags? I'd like to use these ratings OUTSIDE of iTunes (like in XBMC). If there's a way to sync ratings back into iTunes that would be sweet as well.

- I created an "Unrated" smart playlist to help me rate stuff in my library. The problem is that as soon as I rate a song, it's removed from the playlist. That's not a big deal, but if I'm listening to the song it stops playback and moves to the next track. Kind of aggravating. Is there a way to leave it in there until the next song starts playback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Life
Feb 25, 2010

by angerbot
Is there an Applescript that is recent that will autofill an iPod with random albums? Right now, the autofill just fills the iPod with random songs so you don't get all the songs in an album which is frustrating to me as I prefer to listen to whole albums. If not, I might have to just learn AppleScript and write it myself.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

EC posted:

- I created an "Unrated" smart playlist to help me rate stuff in my library. The problem is that as soon as I rate a song, it's removed from the playlist. That's not a big deal, but if I'm listening to the song it stops playback and moves to the next track. Kind of aggravating. Is there a way to leave it in there until the next song starts playback?

Turn off "Live updating" on the Smart Playlist.

Playlists that aren't Live updating do update at some point, though exactly when the current version updates them is a question I've not yet researched. In the past, I recall it being "When you synch the playlist" or "When you reboot iTunes"

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
It will also update automatically at around midnight or 1am. I can't remember which it is.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Martytoof posted:

Anyone know if I can import iTunes U files from one library to another? I want to download all the WWDC sessions in HD on campus because at home I'm limited to 60gb/month. I can take my laptop to the office and download, but is there any way to get those movies into my iTunes on my desktop?

Yes, just drag them out, they're movie files just like anything else. You can also 'show in finder' and you'll see a folder full of movies, just put them on an HD and bring them home, then drag and drop onto your iTunes.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

EC posted:

I've been using song ratings a lot to have an easy way of listening to the songs I like and also to remove songs from my iPhone that I don't like. I have a couple of questions, though:

- Is there any way to sync iTunes ratings with the actual ID3 tags? I'd like to use these ratings OUTSIDE of iTunes (like in XBMC). If there's a way to sync ratings back into iTunes that would be sweet as well.

I've just been looking into this, as my iTunes shat the bed (again), and I use ratings much like yourself, and had to re-rate a load of stuff

If you're not bothered about an automatic process - here's what I'm doing -

Sort by rating
Everything rated 5 > Click Get Info
Change BPM to 5

Repeat for each rating
Repeat regularly

The BPM is written into the ID3 tag and will follow the track everywhere. This means you can update the BPM with a rating in some other program, and then reverse the process in iTunes

(Obviously if you use the BPM for anything, this won't work)

Just thinking about this - you could write a wee Autohotkey script or something, combine it with some smart playlists, and you could automate this to get pseudo-syncing...

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

maltesh posted:

Turn off "Live updating" on the Smart Playlist.

Playlists that aren't Live updating do update at some point, though exactly when the current version updates them is a question I've not yet researched. In the past, I recall it being "When you synch the playlist" or "When you reboot iTunes"

Excellent, thanks!

Amphigory posted:

Just thinking about this - you could write a wee Autohotkey script or something, combine it with some smart playlists, and you could automate this to get pseudo-syncing...

I hadn't thought of using another tag...hmm. I'll explore that and see if I can get something cooking.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
What is the easiest way to setup iTunes on a fresh PC to sync with an exisitng iphone/ipad? I keep running into the issue of formatting my desktop pc and then my phone or ipad not being able to sync back to it without a wipe and start over.

I am almost to the point of building a VM guest just to handle iTunes since I go through OS installs pretty often.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Probably keep your iTunes media folder on an external hard drive then point iTunes to it every time you reinstall.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

routenull0 posted:

What is the easiest way to setup iTunes on a fresh PC to sync with an exisitng iphone/ipad? I keep running into the issue of formatting my desktop pc and then my phone or ipad not being able to sync back to it without a wipe and start over.

I am almost to the point of building a VM guest just to handle iTunes since I go through OS installs pretty often.

If you backup the entire iTunes folder in your My Music folder, then restore you should be fine. Not just the music, but everything in there, especially the library files.

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?
I've started to add Apple Lossless files to my iTunes library and I like this feature:

But is there any way to change that from 128kbps to say, 192kbps?

128kbps is a tad too low. Not that I can hear the difference with my Apple earbuds though.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

Daily Life posted:

Is there an Applescript that is recent that will autofill an iPod with random albums? Right now, the autofill just fills the iPod with random songs so you don't get all the songs in an album which is frustrating to me as I prefer to listen to whole albums. If not, I might have to just learn AppleScript and write it myself.

I am also interested.

rookieone
May 25, 2004

A small town never forgets
Here's what I did:
  1. Create smart playlist in iTunes (call it "Touch Playlist" or whatever works for you)
  2. Set it up to whatever criteria you need. Mine's set to a specific size of 28Gb and excludes certain genres I don't want on my iPod Touch
  3. Check the "Live updating" box
  4. In iTunes, under "Controls" -> "Shuffle" select "by albums". This way the list will get randomly filled with entire albums instead of random songs
  5. Set your iPod to sync with this smart playlist (only this list obviously)
  6. Whenever you're bored with the current selection of your playlist, select all songs, delete them and iTunes will repopulate it with different random albums
  7. Sync iPod et voilą

BONUS: If like me you still want certain albums to be on there all the time, create a static playlist and drag all your favorite albums on there. Then set iTunes to sync your random album playlist *AND* your static favorite list.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004
Alright, so here's a quality "iTunes" question:

When adding PDF Books into iTunes; is the author the "artist", "album artist" or "composer"?

molinari
May 13, 2005

rookieone posted:

Here's what I did:
  1. Create smart playlist in iTunes (call it "Touch Playlist" or whatever works for you)
  2. Set it up to whatever criteria you need. Mine's set to a specific size of 28Gb and excludes certain genres I don't want on my iPod Touch
  4. In iTunes, under "Controls" -> "Shuffle" select "by albums". This way the list will get randomly filled with entire albums instead of random songs
  6. Whenever you're bored with the current selection of your playlist, select all songs, delete them and iTunes will repopulate it with different random albums
  7. Sync iPod et voilą

BONUS: If like me you still want certain albums to be on there all the time, create a static playlist and drag all your favorite albums on there. Then set iTunes to sync your random album playlist *AND* your static favorite list.

Actually, this will cause the "last" album to be partial. Itunes will start to add the final album, then hit the size restriction and stop adding the rest of the songs on the album. If you keep the playlist sorted at index you can easily delete the final album.

NanoFibre does not have this problem. Sadly it has several other problems such as: it does not know about compilation albums, it will add podcasts, and is abandoned by the developer.

Your best bet is probably the smart playlist option and then deleting the incomplete album.

Daily Life
Feb 25, 2010

by angerbot
You can actually do this with an AppleScript. I found one on that Doug's AppleScript site but it was very outdated and flagged a lot of warnings/errors but did the job correctly I think. I tried to look at it to see if I could fix it but I couldn't. It might not have worked or something though because I don't use it.

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=fouripodscriptsx

Random album to iPod is what I'm talking about.

rookieone
May 25, 2004

A small town never forgets

molinari posted:

Actually, this will cause the "last" album to be partial. Itunes will start to add the final album, then hit the size restriction and stop adding the rest of the songs on the album. If you keep the playlist sorted at index you can easily delete the final album.

Wow, I never actually considered this before. But it's no big deal to be honest, there might be a couple of songs missing from one album out of the 28Gb.
Will only be a problem if you're absolutely OCD about it :-)

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys
Does anyone know of a quick and easy way (Windows user) for me to remove all of a certain tag from my files? I specifically want to strip lyrics, comments, and BPM from 5000ish songs...

I've been using things like TuneUp and MP3 Diags to get all of my metadata just the way I want it, but I don't know of anything that will just kill tags I don't want.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Morkai posted:

Does anyone know of a quick and easy way (Windows user) for me to remove all of a certain tag from my files? I specifically want to strip lyrics, comments, and BPM from 5000ish songs...

I've been using things like TuneUp and MP3 Diags to get all of my metadata just the way I want it, but I don't know of anything that will just kill tags I don't want.

I don't know about the two you mentioned, but Tag & Rename will strip the tags away pretty easily. I did to all of my collection at one time when I first started getting it organzied.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Morkai posted:

Main iTunes Library -> Click Music -> Ctrl+A to select all -> right click -> Get Info -> Check the boxes next to BPM and Comments and make sure the fields are empty -> Apply. That doesn't seem to work for Lyrics though.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I've been having a problem lately where playing songs from certain albums in iTunes just stops working. It only seems to happen on an album-by-album basis; I always put albums in their own subdirectories, so I suppose it could actually be something to do with the directory. Playing the songs in other media players and even on my iPod (usually) still works but I cannot figure out why this happens or how to fix it when it does. Earlier today I tried deleting an album that was having this problem from my library and re-adding it, but it couldn't be re-added.

edit- nevermind, googling more I found this utility which seems to have solved the problem.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 25, 2010

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Is the glitchiness of encoding to 128kbps fixed in 9.2? I want to set it up again for my new 32gb phone because I could likely fit my entire library on it, but I had problems with it before..

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008
With the new OS 4 for my iPod Touch (2G 16GB), I can't get itunes to transfer my audiobooks onto the iPod. Anyone know what the deal is? I can't even get them to go on through a playlist or smart playlist.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Chemical Shift posted:

With the new OS 4 for my iPod Touch (2G 16GB), I can't get itunes to transfer my audiobooks onto the iPod. Anyone know what the deal is? I can't even get them to go on through a playlist or smart playlist.

When viewing what to synch to the device, the newest versions of iTunes put Audiobooks in the "Books" panel, rather than using the "Music" panel.

It's a bit odd at first, but on the whole it's an improvement, as you no longer have to resort to cumbersome workarounds such as using "Synch only checked items" or special audiobook playlists if you wanted to synch only some of your audiobooks; you can now choose which ones you want individually.

Playlists that contain Audiobooks will appear all the way at the bottom of the "Books" section.

Click here for the full 762x408 image.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Is there a good way to convert a bunch of video files to the ipod touch format? Handbrake seemed to be the perfect option...but I can't add more then one file at a time.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

SMP posted:

Is there a good way to convert a bunch of video files to the ipod touch format? Handbrake seemed to be the perfect option...but I can't add more then one file at a time.
Use the "Add To Queue" button, then run the queue.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.
What's the fastest/easiest way to offload certain files from iTunes to an external drive without completely hosing the library?

Right now, I have an external drive where all my Handbrake-encoded DVDs live. I've added those to the iTunes library by dragging while holding down option.

I want to offload some older television show seasons that I've purchased in HD to the drive, such that they're still playable when my macbook is connected to the external, and their current entries in the library don't change (or change much).

I thought about simply moving the files and then, one by one, redirecting iTunes to their new location, but was hoping there is a more efficient way. Also, if I later purchase a larger harddrive (or otherwise want to selectively re-consolidate), what's the best way to prevent them from getting strewn to all hell and gone?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Is the glitchiness of encoding to 128kbps fixed in 9.2? I want to set it up again for my new 32gb phone because I could likely fit my entire library on it, but I had problems with it before..

Works for me.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Chris Knight posted:

Use the "Add To Queue" button, then run the queue.

He still has to add them to the queue one at a time. It's a pain in the rear end and the question comes up every couple of weeks in this thread, all because the handbrake devs are a bunch of jackasses.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
This is only tangentially related to iTunes, but I'm not sure where else to ask. I'd like to figure out a way to sync stuff that I purchase from iTunes (currently on a Win7 laptop) to my server (WHS) so it'll show up on my HTPC.

Is there a way to tell iTunes to move particular files into a specified directory with a specified file name? I like to keep my music organized a specific way (\Genre\Artist - Album\Track - Title) so it's easy to find stuff.

I suppose I could move the files out of the iTunes directory and then edit all the tags with Tag&Rename and then add them back manually into iTunes, but that just seems like such a pain in the rear end. I guess I'm looking for any and all possible solutions on how to approach the problem.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
I keep all my music on an external drive, and every so often iTunes decides to make random files show dead links when the drive isn't connected, even if I don't try to play any music. If there's no way to stop this from happening directly, is there a way to at least refresh the dead links in Windows? Readding the folder to my library just ends in two copies of the file in my library.

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008

maltesh posted:

If the playlists contain nothing but Audiobooks that iTunes recognizes as Audiobooks, deciding whether or not to Sync them to your iPhone is now under the "Books" tab on your iPhone management panel.

Looks like they're not showing up there for me either (though I hadn't checked before you made the post explaining it). I don't have a screenshot at the moment, but while "sync books" is clicked, nothing is in the list. I should say I don't have any books besides audiobooks, but when I tested it by installing that iBooks app and getting the Winnie the Pooh free download, that did show up in that panel, but none of the audiobooks.

Daily Life
Feb 25, 2010

by angerbot

rookieone posted:

Here's what I did:
  7. Sync iPod et voilą

This worked for me and is a lot simpler than an AppleScript! Thanks for your help.

molinari posted:

NanoFibre does not have this problem. Sadly it has several other problems such as: it does not know about compilation albums, it will add podcasts, and is abandoned by the developer.

Your best bet is probably the smart playlist option and then deleting the incomplete album.

How do you sort a playlist by index?

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
I'm not sure where the best place to post this is, but I'm having a weird tagging issue with iTunes lately.

I listen to my music in iTunes and the iPod app on my iPhone, and I'm not sure which of the two is causing the problem, but lately I've noticed that something seems to be manipulating the ID3 tags of my music. Some songs have started updating tags like Album Artist, Track #, and Comments. The comment tag ends up with what appears to be a unique sequence of 10 8-digit codes. For example, "0000315B 000024FE 0001477C 0000659C 00002727 00024A35 00008000 00008000 00002710 00002710"

As far as I know, I don't have anything set to identify and tag my music, but clearly something is doing it. I thought I might post here and see if anyone has any ideas. This is driving my crazy because I keep having to go into my library and undo these changes so that I my compilation albums don't show up as multiple albums.

Auriak fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 1, 2010

Jkid
Apr 20, 2010
I read the OP of this post and it practically provoked me to create playlists on my own. But I wanted to figure out how to create playlists faster. I did some experimenting when I was trying to convert a m3u into a readable file that iTunes can read.

First, create a new playlist and name it anyway you want. Second, go to Windows Explorer and pick the folders of music you want for added to your playlist. Third, copy the folders and paste them onto the playlist. Copying and pasting the folders onto the blank playlist will result in iTunes finding the music on the main Library and adding it onto the playlist you created. This made my playlist creation a lot faster for me.

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

there's a bear going round, taking names
Crossposted from the Mac software thread (realized it was better off here):

It appears as though the iTunes 9.2 beta has been deactivated - I just started up iTunes to a 'This copy of iTunes has expired' message. If you happened to install it so you could get your hands on the 4.0 beta iOS release, you're probably seeing the same message (and maybe also wondering why it wasn't showing up in Software Updates). Downloading iTunes manually fixed it though, if anyone else happens to run into this issue.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Milo Pollywalter posted:

Crossposted from the Mac software thread (realized it was better off here):

It appears as though the iTunes 9.2 beta has been deactivated - I just started up iTunes to a 'This copy of iTunes has expired' message. If you happened to install it so you could get your hands on the 4.0 beta iOS release, you're probably seeing the same message (and maybe also wondering why it wasn't showing up in Software Updates). Downloading iTunes manually fixed it though, if anyone else happens to run into this issue.

Yes, this really rubbed me the wrong way actually. I was hoping Software Update would be smart enough to tell that I was running a beta version by looking at the build code and telling me there's an update ready, but instead it was happy to assume that I was running the latest and greatest iTunes.

I would have been pissed if I needed to sync my phone while running out of the house only to find out I needed to spend the next two minutes installing something instead.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

TangyRaptor posted:

Can anyone tell me why this happens? As far as I can tell the tags are all exactly the same for artist, album, album artist, etc. I have a couple albums like this where everything seems identical, yet it separates them.

Another question involving something similar to this. I recently got a copy of Windows 7 and installed iTunes 64bit with the idea of reimporting all my CDs and finally getting my music under precise control. After importing hundreds of CDs, I started playing a couple songs and noticed this above thing happen. Not when they were ripped, though:

When I clicked on a track for the first time, some bit of data would change. Sometimes it would be something not immediately visible (somewhere else in the metatag, like the quoted example), sometimes the artist or album name would change one letter's capitalization, causing almost the exact same thing as the above, and other times it would flat-out change the artist or album to something not even remotely related to what it actually was. And all of this was after it successfully found the CD from Gracenote and imported it. Once I clicked on it the first time and this problem happened, I was able to change the files back and that file was fine, but I had to do this to at least 500 files, randomly (I just clicked 'track forward' until I hit a problem file).

Now I'm at the point where I've had to reinstall again, and I'm afraid that if I re-import my music it will repeat this issue. I've never had a problem like this before with iTunes, and can't find anyone who knows what could be going on, so I remain musicless in annoying apprehension of potential problems. Does anyone here have any ideas what could be going on?

Thanks for the OP, by the way. I had no idea you could do that sort of thing, although I've played exclusively from the library for all time and never bothered rating, but I certainly see lots of reasons to change that now!

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

mathaeis posted:

When I clicked on a track for the first time, some bit of data would change.

I think this happens because iTunes checks your files' id3 tags when you click on them, and then updates your library if they don't match. They might not match if they were read only and you changed them in iTunes but it couldn't update the files to match, or if an external program modified them.

Did you keep your iTunes database file from your last install? If so, no need to worry, it should work fine.

If you still had your old library you could make sure that all your music files were not read only, and then rewrite the id3 tags to make sure they are in sync, so that your library data overwrites the id3 data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tharax
Jul 15, 2009
I can't remember where i saw this, or if i was dreaming about such a practical app, but i'm wondering if there is something that will search my library, find duplicate files, and then delete them. my music folder has a lot duplicates from copying music over the years, and having 1 copy of a song instead of 5 would be preferable.