Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Capntastic posted:

Is it true if you shell out money to buy the expansions you can't play for free anymore?

Not on that account, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
But there are 14 professions... :smith:

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah but a lot of them suck. I wish I could remember my logins for my freebie guys. Dual logging a fixer+doc was amazing. Tank with the fixer, CH on the doc whenever needed.

Soul_Apparatus
Aug 20, 2007

Stuck in the Flesh
Has anyone had any luck getting clicksaver to work? The latest version I could find was 3.1.0. Unfortunately it crashes AO for me. I've tried running both clicksaver and AO as administrator, but it does not appear to function.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Clicksaver works fine for me. Version 3.1.0. Downloaded it about a month ago. I play in window mode if that makes any difference.

I've been playing casually for about 2 months. Made it a paid account last week. I'll probably keep playing through the summer.

If you're brand new to the game, you absolutely want to spend some time researching and setting up some of the out of game resources. Get clicksaver up and running. Bookmark auno.org for the item and nano database.
Get the Atlas of Rubi Ka map. Also bookmark ao-universe for profession and questing guides.

Follow the billboards to the Agency in your starter town for your dailys; starting with the Subway. Super great XP, and if you team up with another player or two for a bit you'll rocket through a few levels quickly.

Use guides, or ask in the OOC channels what good starting weapons you should roll missions for. Then use auno to read about the weapon and get the exact spelling, and then use clicksaver to roll missions for it. Or start a martial artist, and skip worrying about weapons(awesome soloers as well).

To save credits, I also used clicksaver and auno to roll for missions for my nanos rather than buying them at the shops. This quickly freed up cash to spend on ncu/belts, and decent sets of implants.

Personal tip for new omnis: There is an npc outside of the Rome Blue Basic shop(RBB). He'll give you a delivery quest to the barracks outside of Omni entertainment. He also mentions taking some whiskey out there. Take the mission and find one of the OT Party Merchants(or something) in one of the clubs in Omni entertainment on your way, buy a bottle of scotch whiskey. Complete the delivery to the barracks, then talk to the destination npc one more time to deliver the scotch as well. You are rewarded an excellent starting helmet and backpack that has some great starter stats. The whole two quests take about 20 minutes, mostly because of the time spent running. Between those items and your starter armor from newbie island, you are set until the mid 20s or higher for armor.

In your 30s the dailys move to the Temple of the Three Winds. At 60 you can start running Biomare/Foreman's. Foreman's is nice; tons of trash loot to sell for credits. Bring about 9 packs with you and fill them up. You'll be cashing in about 50,000 credits for each bag you fill, and suddenly you can start being a lot freer with your credits. This is where I am with a couple of characters now. I'll probably start checking out the Shadowlands stuff next week.

I haven't looked into any real crafting yet. It seems building up my martial artist as a sugar daddy first will be a better long term plan.

Feel free say hello to Vacantdan, Bendersue, or Hazylyn if you want any newbie advice in game.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
How would one go about reactivating when the last payment failed or something and there is a red messagebox? Just pay? I kinda want to take my alien armored subway guy for a ride again.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Is doing all the ICC Island stuff a good use of time or should you just jump into the main game?

I remember loving that back in the day you just started in the slums with a gun and had to goof around until you found stuff.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That Omni mission reminded me of collecting rollerrat parts for that tailor. :smithicide:

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

killstealing posted:

How would one go about reactivating when the last payment failed or something and there is a red messagebox? Just pay? I kinda want to take my alien armored subway guy for a ride again.

Add a new payment method or just contact customer support to have it either deleted or reactivated for you.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Capntastic posted:

Is doing all the ICC Island stuff a good use of time or should you just jump into the main game?

I remember loving that back in the day you just started in the slums with a gun and had to goof around until you found stuff.

I think the newbie island quests are worth it, unless you have a sugar daddy to immediately pimp your new character. You finish around level 8, with a decent weapon, decent armor, nano starter set, and 5-10k in credits. You're set to start doing the subway daily.

I'd use the implants that drop in the subway as starters since you'll quickly outgrow them anyway. Run a few missions to get some more of your low level profession nanos, and start saving for ncu chips and a set of the pre-made profesion implants at QL30. You'll also want to save for the generic composite nanos that you can use at level 25. Regarding the pre-made implants; you can buy and use them from any of the profession terminals, so there is a good selection to choose from. These will serve you well into your 70s, and so you won't have to learn about custom making implants for quite a while.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Conquistador posted:

How many people are usually online now since the merge?

After playing a little bit during past weekend, the population does seem to be a little better. I don't have any new alts so I can't talk about low and mid levels, but the higher level range seems decently populated during euro prime time. And by decently populated I mean the LFG window usually has its scroll bar visible. There is a scroll bar, you see. :whoptc:

In regards to raiding, iraid seems healthy. I can't speak for hellcom since I don't raid with them. Iraid channel had around 100 people during euro prime time, and they ran two pande raids in a row yesterday since everyone didn't fit into one full raid. Points got wiped on the merge, but at least the bot has received some overhaul. Like a new bidding system that isn't poo poo and mass auctions so tnh symbs and things like that don't take ages.

Creizai
Jun 10, 2005
I love Rizien
Whats the best parts of AO that you geninunely liked. I always come back and never end up playing. This game has something special I just can't put my finger on what it is, and why I'm always so angry at it.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I liked the implant/twink system, the way that buffs were done. Getting benefits from stuff like Towers and poo poo was really cool. I liked the system of how raiding was done.

In general, the players had to fend for themselves for a lot of stuff that is now spoon fed to you in other MMOs. I think that strengthened the community and really made having a good Org / Alliance with other orgs important.

I also liked that if you were legitimately good at your profession you could pull off really cool stuff. Tanking/Healing as a Fixer with minimal heals for example comes to mind. I remember when my Sold was my main and a lot of people wanted huge rear end Enfos to tank, me and the other soldiers in my Org said hecks no and stepped up to the plate. Shielding then having another Sold put RFFE on was a fun as heck rotation.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Creizai posted:

Whats the best parts of AO that you geninunely liked. I always come back and never end up playing. This game has something special I just can't put my finger on what it is, and why I'm always so angry at it.

Playing an agent, casting nanos from almost every other profession and doing silly spike damage with my first character. Also dying whenever a mob sneezed at me.

I had trouble leveling anything else, I think I banged my head against MA and Advie for a few years and never got past level 50. After playing an agent I realised the other classes were just *boring*. The first agent I rolled, I leveled to 200 in something like four months, then 220 in two more after going paid.

I think a big part of the draw was that there was finally a point to leveling, that being access to the next tier of every single major buff available in the game (and a lot of profession-locked equipment). The complexity of agent play, and being able to mimic the other classes, drew me in and kept me coming back till endgame, where agents take the short, splintery end of the stick.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The skill/twinking system is still unmatched for my liking. Also the music.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

The skill/twinking system is still unmatched for my liking.

Yesterday I was pondering on which of my alts I want to comcentrate on mostly since subbed a month. My gaze turned to a 203 soldier which I shelved around... 2004 according to auno. I looked over his poo poo. ZERO usable items, except a dshark buried somewhere in his bags which I looted years ago and never got around to equip due to my level.

At that point I felt strange. I thought about the countless hours that would sink into planning, getting items, buffs, resets, calculations. I felt depressed. Violated. Oppressed. All that.

But I also felt excited. I felt like crying.

And behold, I noticed I had a boner.

Twinking in this loving game. :allears:

Soul_Apparatus
Aug 20, 2007

Stuck in the Flesh
I've finally got clicksaver working. I had to replace one of the dlls in the version I found with that of another's. I'm having a new problem now. I can't seem to pick a class to start really leveling.

I like the idea of playing a fixer, being fast, making/cleaning implants, blitzing missions, but so far combat has been boring. Maybe this is a symptom of being low level, but combat so far has just consisted of standing there auto-attacking, while painfully waiting for burst to come off of cooldown. I like the idea of an engineer too. I'm a big fan of crafting, hunting down esoteric materials to create something. But again combat seems really passive, standing there auto-attacking, while watching my bot auto-attack.

I'd like to have more buttons to push during combat. Does it get any better? Should I look at another class? Who's got the most to do during a fight?

Soul_Apparatus fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 7, 2013

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Soul_Apparatus posted:

I'd like to have more buttons to push during combat. Does it get any better? Should I look at another class? Who's got the most to do during a fight?

Well, my fixer actively uses about two hotbars worth of buttons in every fight at 220. A little more if pvping. If you're looking to get into a mousebreaking clickfest, start a shade. At 220 my shade has a little over 4 hotbars to constantly roll over.

Trust me though, the four hotbar thing gets old.

e: Since there seems to be people playing and all, if anyone needs a hand with something or whatever then feel free to harass either of my active chars. They just started their own org :unsmith:

Fewd fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 7, 2013

Soul_Apparatus
Aug 20, 2007

Stuck in the Flesh

Fewd posted:

Well, my fixer actively uses about two hotbars worth of buttons in every fight at 220.

What abilities are you using on your fixer? I looked through the fixer's nanos, and it seems like unless you're trying to root something you're not casting much during actual combat. At what point do you go from just having burst to two bars worth of abilities?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Soul_Apparatus posted:

What abilities are you using on your fixer? I looked through the fixer's nanos, and it seems like unless you're trying to root something you're not casting much during actual combat. At what point do you go from just having burst to two bars worth of abilities?

Aside the usual fling, burst, full auto, short hot, genius regen and evade perks my bars are full of perk damage abilities.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I've had a few fixers, including a couple TL7s, they're some of the most interactive classes in the game IMO.

Soul_Apparatus
Aug 20, 2007

Stuck in the Flesh
Thanks for the insight in to the later levels! The basic gist I'm getting is, "stick with it, more stuff unlocks later."

I guess that still leaves me torn between a fixer and an engineer.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Soul_Apparatus posted:

Thanks for the insight in to the later levels! The basic gist I'm getting is, "stick with it, more stuff unlocks later."

I guess that still leaves me torn between a fixer and an engineer.

Do you enjoy enormous awesome looking deathrobots under your command that constantly go gently caress YOU YOU'RE NOT MY DAD I'M GOING THIS WAY?

Pick engineer, good times.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Pick engineer, and get started immediately on your rollerrat helmet and engie pistol. :colbert:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

engie pistol. :colbert:

Thanks, my hemorrhoids flare up every time this is mentioned. Really, thanks.

loving misty jars gently caress why :negative:

Soul_Apparatus
Aug 20, 2007

Stuck in the Flesh
I guess I'll roll the engineer then. What's a better place to level in for the first time, RK or SL?

Fewd posted:

Thanks, my hemorrhoids flare up every time this is mentioned.

They make a cream for this.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Soul_Apparatus posted:

They make a cream for this.

Yeah but you have to kill about 30,000 Hellhounds to get the mats

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Soul_Apparatus posted:

I guess I'll roll the engineer then. What's a better place to level in for the first time, RK or SL?

It depends on your starting budget and whether you can mooch credits from someone. The best as in fastest leveling is mostly on SL, but that's just for exp. I think the RK dungeons like subway, totw, steps of madness (or something along those lines, the neleb robe place) and foremans are all worth visiting. If not for loot, which is great for a first timer by the way, then to just check out what kind of places they are.

Quoting myself for a year and a half back for good leveling spots for exp, should be still relevant. I honestly can't remember the dungeon levels though, except totw is more or less 20 to 60.

Fewd posted:

If you're just looking for the quickest way to level up, I think my low level speedlist would go something like this:

(levels might be a bit off, can't remember that well)

1-7 RK newbie area
7-17 nascence up to crippler cave
18-25 nasc crippler cave
26-45 nasc swamp (malah area and dungeon for higher levels)
40-60 nasc heck noobing
61-90 ely mortiigs or spiders
Then start shooting rocks.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 7, 2013

Soul_Apparatus
Aug 20, 2007

Stuck in the Flesh

Fewd posted:

It depends on your starting budget and whether you can mooch credits from someone.

Nothing, and noone.

Fewd posted:

Quoting myself for a year and a half back for good leveling spots for exp

Looks like you advocate the ICC shuttleport for the initial starting goodies, and then moving to the Shadow Lands. I'm not sure how to make the transition, but I'm sure I can look it up. Thanks again for the tips!

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Also since you're making engy, make sure to check http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=463195
Especially points 8.1.1 and 8.1.2. New engies often forget to make trimmers for their pets and they make a massive difference.

Also toss your character name here when you've made him, I can throw some starting things at you.

Soul_Apparatus
Aug 20, 2007

Stuck in the Flesh

Fewd posted:

Also since you're making engy, make sure to check http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=463195
Especially points 8.1.1 and 8.1.2. New engies often forget to make trimmers for their pets and they make a massive difference.

Also toss your character name here when you've made him, I can throw some starting things at you.

I'll definitely check out that guide. I'll likely be rolling my engineer later tonight when I get off of work. Thanks for pointing my in the right direction!

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Played this game maybe 10 years ago, my main was an engineer. Had a lot of fun, one episode that springs to mind was after a week of 6 hour constant tower fights, the opposing side's raidleader (think his name was Alfamale or something?) messaged me asking me to make some very high level gear for him. I reached the credit limit easily just from tips, since some of this equipment was so expensive, that only 220 engineers with a good rep and in a well known guild could be trusted with it. Good times.

As for trimmers, unless they fixed it, you can have high-level engineers trim your pets. Especially the threat/tanking trimmer helps a lot, since a high level trimmer will make enemies glued to your bots. Also learn to make pet macros so you can more easily control your bots.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Rk2?^^

Soul_Apparatus
Aug 20, 2007

Stuck in the Flesh
Oh boy I'm excited!

KillTrash
Dec 6, 2007

Game Fiend
I played AO from launch and kept playing it for like 4 years straight. I quit and came back to it a few times and I collected 5 accounts with different classes at 200+ levels. This game, bugs and all, was awesome back then. This week I was talking to some of my friends that used to play and we plan on rolling fresh new characters and struggling to 220 all over again without too much outside help. That should be fun, or not. We were pretty much just waiting for that Graphical update. It's been what, 3 or 4 years since they promised that? Any chance of that getting released this year?

Soul_Apparatus
Aug 20, 2007

Stuck in the Flesh
Is it viable to skill up Breaking and Entering on an Engineer? Or is that best left to Fixers?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

KillTrash posted:

I played AO from launch and kept playing it for like 4 years straight. I quit and came back to it a few times and I collected 5 accounts with different classes at 200+ levels. This game, bugs and all, was awesome back then. This week I was talking to some of my friends that used to play and we plan on rolling fresh new characters and struggling to 220 all over again without too much outside help. That should be fun, or not. We were pretty much just waiting for that Graphical update. It's been what, 3 or 4 years since they promised that? Any chance of that getting released this year?

It's a joke on a DNFesque level. Nominally they say it should be later this year. Breath holding is inadvisable.

Soul_Apparatus
Aug 20, 2007

Stuck in the Flesh

Fewd posted:

I made my awesome new engineer, "Engineer2013". All my usual names were taken, so I went with this highly original namesake.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Soul_Apparatus posted:

Is it viable to skill up Breaking and Entering on an Engineer? Or is that best left to Fixers?

All professions are tight on IP until higher mid levels at least so don't spend it on anything you aren't sure about. B&E generally isn't all that important to engineers. Only use I can think off the top of my head is perennium weapon tradeskill process but... yeah, gently caress it for now. You want to concentrate on having the biggest and baddest bot first and foremost. Once you have some NCU, you can get buffed out of your rear end by traders and/or mps to whip out a bot whos level is twice+ higher than you.

Note that OE rules apply to bots too, see 5.7 on the guide I linked. If you poop out a huge bot with buffs and your buffs expire reducing your nano skills too low to control it, expect it to spam LOL NO gently caress YOU while you're getting mauled to death by a swarm of rollerrats.

You're apparently murrican so don't know when we'll be online at the same time. Maybe thursday morning for me since it's a holiday here in northern europeland.

KillTrash posted:

We were pretty much just waiting for that Graphical update. It's been what, 3 or 4 years since they promised that? Any chance of that getting released this year?

heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul_Apparatus
Aug 20, 2007

Stuck in the Flesh
So like a dumbass, I totally forgot to buy a plain solar powered pistol at the ICC shuttle port for making my engineer pistol, after having upgraded the one I started with. I actually lucked out and found an Irreparable River MV in the basic general shop in Rome Blue. I also have managed to create the Stable Preservation System which gets combined with the solar powered pistol to create the Tinker Pistol.

What I'm stuck on, however, is finishing the base solar powered pistol due to some confusing quality level requirements. I have a QL3 Solar-Powered Weapon Supervisor, but I can't find a QL 1-3 Jandawit Cleanup Cluster. I have a QL 14 Cleanup Cluster, and apparently this only works for QL 12 and higher Supervisors. So I tried crafting a higher level Supervisor, but drat those calculators are expensive for a starting character. Now I have a QL 43 Basic Calulator, but my new Auto Targeting Computer -IIR 4 is too low level to combine with it; I now have to find at least a QL38 Target Computer, and I have no idea if the end product will actually successfully combine with the Irreparable River MV that I have. :tizzy:

It seems like some components can be combined at any QL and the result is the lowwest common denominator, and other items have to be within a tight variance. How do I tell what's what? Is there any way to just drop the QL on an item?

This poo poo is confusing!:bang:

Soul_Apparatus fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 8, 2013

• Locked thread