Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jinjin Bemar posted:

Heres the first unit put together of my Griping Beast Saxon Thegns.

The more observant will ntoice I havent stuck the shields on yet, which makes a shieldwall look a little odd! Going to paint those on the sprue and add later.

I am going to add a rear rank of Wargames Factory Unarmoured Ceorls to bulk them out and fit with the Hail Caesar combined units rule that fits the time period.

I really did get some bargians. I picked up 120 plastic saxons for £32 in the end.
You're making it awful difficult for me to resist buying some of these to put on the stack of untouched toy mans when I'm in the FLGS tomorrow. drat your oily hide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
So for Flames of War, are rulebook editions interchangable? I'm interested in the Romanian army, but my friend said they're only in a 1st ed book.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
There were quite a few rule changes in version 2, so I doubt they'd carry over well.

There are a few "briefings" on the website for them, though:

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108&art_id=256
http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108&art_id=2254

Both are for mid-war.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Are they not in Eastern Front anymore?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Actually they might be in the new version, but the FoW site says they were not included. I'm not sure if that means the Eastern Front book or Ostfront.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Eastern Front only has Italians, Hungarians and Finns as minor axis powers. 95% positive on that, but I don't own the book anymore.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Eastern Front does have Romanian forces in it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I guess it does!

quote:

Romanian

The Romanians also get the battalion-sized force treatment for their foot-slogging infantry. This makes them more resilient, and gives them access to a bit more support including more anti-tank guns, regimental pioneers, more artillery and heaps of machine-guns!

Romanians defend against a Soviet T-34 counter-attack

The motorised infantry now have their own high-quality support troops, much better anti-tank and even the option of fielding a platoon in German armoured half-tracks!

Overall, these changes should see the minor Axis powers taking a much more active role in mid-war games on the Eastern Front.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
For no drat reason at all I bought a pile of Corvus Belli 15mil early Imperial Romans in my FLGS today. drat you cheap prices per-pack!

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

For no drat reason at all I bought a pile of Corvus Belli 15mil early Imperial Romans in my FLGS today. drat you cheap prices per-pack!

Corvus Belli are some pretty lead.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have exactly no idea what I'm doing with these guys. Somebody take pity on me and explain DBA plz.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Does anyone make realistically proportioned 15mm or smaller ancient period tiny mans? I know they always say, "oh well, they look better with exaggerated heads and weapons", but... eh, not to me. Are there at least companies that come close?

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh

uncle jimbo posted:

Does anyone make realistically proportioned 15mm or smaller ancient period tiny mans? I know they always say, "oh well, they look better with exaggerated heads and weapons", but... eh, not to me. Are there at least companies that come close?

Theres 100s of 15mm maufacturers I suggest you have a browse through here for starters.

http://www.madaxeman.com/main/15mm_ancients_suppliers.php

And I would argune no one does realistically proportioned miniatures in any scale.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Jinjin Bemar posted:

And I would argune no one does realistically proportioned miniatures in any scale.

The exception are some plastic model manufacturers, but their 'miniatures' are typically posed to fly or do maintenance upon your hyper-detailed 1/35 P-38 Lightning.

Can someone tell me how flexible Ambush Alley is? How much massaging would the system take to do Wild West or Roaring 20's mob wars? Or sci-fi stuff like dinosaurs vs SWAT teams?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

moths posted:

Can someone tell me how flexible Ambush Alley is? How much massaging would the system take to do Wild West or Roaring 20's mob wars? Or sci-fi stuff like dinosaurs vs SWAT teams?

It'd easily cover most gun fight scenarios, but while it does have melee rules it's not really based around giant monsters vs squad.

Edit: That's going off Force on Force, which has vehicle rules which might fit?

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh

moths posted:

The exception are some plastic model manufacturers, but their 'miniatures' are typically posed to fly or do maintenance upon your hyper-detailed 1/35 P-38 Lightning.

I would suggest Legends of the Old West for Cowboys/Mob Wars- would fit both well. Better than Force on Force tbh.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Okay, assuming I understand the relevant guides right, for an Early Imperial Roman army I have the options found here and can pick wherever it says "or".

It I am right this means I can have:

1 Blade commander, 4 dudes on 40mm X 15mm base.
1 Cavalry, 3 dudes with horsies on a 40mm X 30 mm base.
4 Blade legionaires, each the same as above.
4 Auxilia, 4 dudes on a 40mm x 20mm base (I got ahead of myself and put these on 40mm X 15mm already).
OR can I take Cavalry, same as above?
1 of either Bow (4 archers on a 40mm X 20mm base), Psiloi (2 slingers/javellins/light troops on a 40mm x 20mm base) or more Cavalry as above, or 2 Light Horse.
1 Artillery, weapon + crew on a 40mm x 40mm base. What do I do with the wagon that comes with the Corvus Belli one? What size do I base it on? War Wagon? Chariot? Stick the bow in the chariot and call it a day?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Arquinsiel posted:

Okay, assuming I understand the relevant guides right, for an Early Imperial Roman army I have the options found here and can pick wherever it says "or".

It I am right this means I can have:

1 Blade commander, 4 dudes on 40mm X 15mm base.
1 Cavalry, 3 dudes with horsies on a 40mm X 30 mm base.
4 Blade legionaires, each the same as above.
4 Auxilia, 4 dudes on a 40mm x 20mm base (I got ahead of myself and put these on 40mm X 15mm already).
OR can I take Cavalry, same as above?
1 of either Bow (4 archers on a 40mm X 20mm base), Psiloi (2 slingers/javellins/light troops on a 40mm x 20mm base) or more Cavalry as above, or 2 Light Horse.
1 Artillery, weapon + crew on a 40mm x 40mm base. What do I do with the wagon that comes with the Corvus Belli one? What size do I base it on? War Wagon? Chariot? Stick the bow in the chariot and call it a day?

You can pick whether your general should be a blade element or a cavalry element.
You can not choose to pick Cav instead of the Aux.

You can put the wagon that comes with the artillery on the same base if it fits. There are some debates on Roman artillery as to whether they actually fired the things from the chariots or if they just used chariots to transport them. If you can not fit the artillery and the chariot on the 40x40mm base, you can put it on your camp as a camp can look exactly as you want. A really good idea if you are confused about anything in DBA is to search for the WADBAG unofficial guide, as it clears up most of the more complicated parts of the game.

Romans are a pretty good starter army as it doesn't have many elements with special rules, and the blades are just murder in close combat. And they are easy to paint too!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Thanks for the explaination. Looks like I need to get another pack of Auxiliaries to finish the army then.

I hear things about "baggage" elements being used in bigger games or DBM, so I think the wagon will go on a 40x60 base and count as one of those just in case. I'm sure that'd work as a camp too, if it had to.

Looking into making either a palisade with tents like posted on page 1 for my camp or *maybe* making a full castrum in, like, .5mm scale or something. Whatever takes my fancy and is within my skills I guess.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 25, 2011

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Last night I tried to get started with a camp for the Samurai, wanting to make either a gate or a more ambitious castle. Looking at pictures online for inspiration and reading some Osprey books got me into making a bell tower instead:

Pretty simple, but turned out pretty nice I think. I owe thanks to whoever on these forums who came up with using a dremel as a lathe, as that is how I ended up making the (barely visible) bell.
But I did also find a pic of a nice castle. I'm tempted to try to make something similar-looking:

It's a bit too late, time period-wise for my early Samurai, but it looks good and not impossibly complicated. Plus, it'd double as a Built up area as well.
________

Arquinsiel, that's how they get you, you know. One cheap first hit to get you hooked, and pretty soon you're frantically scouring the internet for suppliers of Ghaznavids or Akkadians. Oh I remember back when I thought I could stop before my armies hit double digits.

But you do really need a second army. That makes it soo much easier to indoctrinate friends into this addictiongame. Can't go wrong looking at the other corvus sets of Ancient British or Carthaginians...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I picked up my Auxilliaries today, so now if I get one more pack of Cavalry Command I have literally all options available to me. I am tempted to get enough to make two Roman armies using said options, since that'll allow me to get people involved in civil wars.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 28, 2011

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I could give a poo poo about the Royal Wedding, but Warlord games gives us all a reason to celebrate: http://theminiaturespage.com/news/908743/

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh

Colonial Air Force posted:

I could give a poo poo about the Royal Wedding, but Warlord games gives us all a reason to celebrate: http://theminiaturespage.com/news/908743/

Couldn't give a poo poo surely. Or are you a closet monarchist?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Jinjin Bemar posted:

Couldn't give a poo poo surely. Or are you a closet monarchist?

Both are pretty acceptable since, the way I said it, was sarcastic.

Also Kate is pretty loving hot, so I care a little bit :v:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

DOWN WITH THE BRITISH MONARCHY

:france: (irony)

I just want election coverage, I'm so tired of the royal wedding :(
And what kind of sale is this?! No Napoleonic Brits for me to cut my 28mm teeth on? Now that I've got my 6mm French and Austrians fleshed out I'm looking to branch into other scales, and when I saw this I got excited. But c'mon Warlord, you can't put up ECW box sets and not do any Napoleonics!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Incidentally, this owns.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

So I'm going to put up a 28mm skirmish samurai scenario this autumn, at Gubbspel Galore in Gothenburg which is a con focusing on scenarios and similar storytelling style wargames.

I could go and just base all the new bandits and peasants I'm adding to my collection on the usual GW 20mm bases, but I came to think if not flat bases (1.5mm or 3mm) would give more of a "diorama" feel to the game. Round bases would probably also look better for skirmish than 20mm, but then they are not as easily used in games like warhammer with my other blokes. And if I go flat 20mm bases, I might get all OCD and rebase my entire collection to suit them.

Any ideas how best to do this?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If you choose round, you can't go wrong with fender washers (fenders are the ones with the smallest hole in the middle). 1/8" by 1" looks nice with 28mm, and has nearly the exact footprint of a GW round base.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

American pennies are actually the perfect base for 20mm and 1/72. Cheap and plentiful!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Too bad we don't have a suitably sized cheap coin in Sweden. I'll probably go with just ordering 20mm round bases and magnetic rubber from litko. Tomorrow we'll go buy insulation foam, which is also a bitch since it seems impossible to find foam thinner than 50mm in this country. But after that, we can get started on a sweet modular table.

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

I have a question about paints, and I figured this would be the right place to ask. Can anyone recommend a gray that would match Confederate gray?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

Any ideas how best to do this?
Steel washers and one rare earth magnet per base, then you just need to make round and square GW bases that the washers can sit into and clamp them on with the magnets for games where you use them. Best of all three worlds.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

CaptainPete posted:

I have a question about paints, and I figured this would be the right place to ask. Can anyone recommend a gray that would match Confederate gray?

Find every shade of grey, and use each one on a different confederate :rimshot:

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh

Devlan Mud posted:

Find every shade of grey, and use each one on a different confederate :rimshot:

I did that (I seem to own about 10 bottles of various shades of grey) but I was informed by grognards that actually the rag tag thing is a bit of a myth, and supply lines werent that bad. I did however use a different shade on each unit, as opposed to each soldier.

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

Ha-ha. I just want a match for the 'average' gray of the CSA then.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh

CaptainPete posted:

Ha-ha. I just want a match for the 'average' gray of the CSA then.

I dare you to post on TMP about it. Be sure to include the term butternut.

Seriously any grey will do- try Foundry slate or granite grey- that looks good to me.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Used my last silicone on what is definitely the most advanced building mold this far. Dozens of hours spent on making that curved roof with green stuff:

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 6, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lilljonas, you're seriously inching me closer and closer to buying some 6mm Samurai. I even have FoG:R, but I'm not sure if these buildings are renaissance era or medieval. Forgive my Eurocentric perception of history :(

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Sokrateez posted:

lilljonas, you're seriously inching me closer and closer to buying some 6mm Samurai. I even have FoG:R, but I'm not sure if these buildings are renaissance era or medieval. Forgive my Eurocentric perception of history :(

Most of my houses are replicas or inspired by actual houses built around 17th-19th century, as those are the most common "old" houses still left in Japan. However, I choose houses of the styles that hasn't changed much since the medieval period. So most of the houses in my range are as likely to be found in the 15th century as they are in the countryside in the 19th century. The difference was more about the growth of urban centers such as Osaka and Edo during the 17th century and the new types of buildings that evolved there than in any change in countryside architecture.

This temple is based on the shrine of Aburahi jinja: http://www.guitar-mg.co.jp/title_buck/25/aburahi_jinja/kouyamaki.htm
The site is really old, but the temple itself is a reconstruction from the 15th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
Playing my first game of Hail Caesar tonight- Anglo Saxons VS Vikings.

Dont expect any pics coz none of the figs are paitned and there may well be proxies galore. I will hoever let you know how the rules play.