Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Okay, retooling a wuxia type campaign to FATE, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to go about putting together the skill list.

So far I've been trying to put together one that spreads out the Fight/Shoot/Athletics into a bunch of different skills to capture the feel of different styles (eg. Fists, Grapple, Weapons, Qi) but I'm not sure how to go about making them distinct from one another so it's not a bunch of identical skills with different names. Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Pingcode posted:

Okay, retooling a wuxia type campaign to FATE, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to go about putting together the skill list.

So far I've been trying to put together one that spreads out the Fight/Shoot/Athletics into a bunch of different skills to capture the feel of different styles (eg. Fists, Grapple, Weapons, Qi) but I'm not sure how to go about making them distinct from one another so it's not a bunch of identical skills with different names. Any advice?

Use one skill, Combat, and then hand players three or four freebie stunts that make up their punchy kicky package. Much better way of differentiating.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Transient People posted:

Use one skill, Combat, and then hand players three or four freebie stunts that make up their punchy kicky package. Much better way of differentiating.

That's how Tianxia does it. Individual styles are represented by special stunt/aspect combos.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Honestly, is there a reason why you wouldn't just use Tianxia?

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Because I hadn't heard of it! Looking into it now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Are the Patreon adventure setting book things worth picking up at retail? My FLGS has 4 or 5 of the little Accelerated-sized books and I'm a sucker for setting ideas and the like.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Each one has some new mechanical subsystem to it, but how easy they are to add to other games varies. You can take the magic system out of Aether Sea pretty easily, but the new skill mechanics in Save Game are pretty heavily tied to the setting.

Still, they're all PWYW at DriveThru, so you can grab one for free to see if there's anything in there you like.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Yesterday, I wrote down one of those thoughts you get while you fall alseep for a campaign setting . I, then, drunkenly wrote it out for FATE. It isn't too good of setting at all, but I'm wondering if any of the FATE components are proper as I'm inexperienced with that. If anyone could take a look and tell me if I built the extras right, my chargen stuff makes, and the such, that would be greatly appreciated. It can be found here.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

Yesterday, I wrote down one of those thoughts you get while you fall alseep for a campaign setting . I, then, drunkenly wrote it out for FATE. It isn't too good of setting at all, but I'm wondering if any of the FATE components are proper as I'm inexperienced with that. If anyone could take a look and tell me if I built the extras right, my chargen stuff makes, and the such, that would be greatly appreciated. It can be found here.

First off, you write better drunk than I do sober.

Are Shaping and Wiazrdy supposed to be skill-based, or are they just permissions for new ways to use existing skills?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

First off, you write better drunk than I do sober.

Are Shaping and Wiazrdy supposed to be skill-based, or are they just permissions for new ways to use existing skills?

The latter, the Extra is more like narrative justification for stuff. So, like, by saying you're a Shaper anywhere in your High Concept, you can justify your actions by the action being the result of you manipulating the elements. So, narratively, you can say you scale a building by shaping a hill under your foot until you reach the roof. It's all about narrative power, not mechanical power. This is also why the only cost to be a Shaper, Wizard, or have a Super Form is to just mention you do anywhere in your High Concept.

Edit: That said, you could surely use the fact you're a Shaper/Wizard/Super Form to have stunts to represent awesome abilities that result from being supernatural.

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 3, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Covok posted:

This actually looks really fun, as kind of a crazy Mass Effect and wizards mashup. I have a question about Super Form- does it tend to have built-in limitations like Shaping and Magic? Is the limitation that it's possible to be dropped out of that form, putting you at a sudden massive loss of overall ability until you can transform again?

Covok
May 27, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

This actually looks really fun, as kind of a crazy Mass Effect and wizards mashup. I have a question about Super Form- does it tend to have built-in limitations like Shaping and Magic? Is the limitation that it's possible to be dropped out of that form, putting you at a sudden massive loss of overall ability until you can transform again?

I guess I should give it a write up in types of people as well as a entry on what "normal" people (Paragons) are like. So...I did. To answer your question, it's just tiring to be in your Super Form for too long. It's rather energy consuming so it's best to reserve for when it's most awesome.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Covok posted:

I guess I should give it a write up in types of people as well as a entry on what "normal" people (Paragons) are like. So...I did. To answer your question, it's just tiring to be in your Super Form for too long. It's rather energy consuming so it's best to reserve for when it's most awesome.

Thanks, this makes sense. So, it's basically narrative permission for all kinds of crap, but the GM is liable to compel you to suffer exhaustion or drop out of it at inconvenient times?

I like the idea that every galactic citizen has the magical power to survive the vacuum of space. Implies a sense infinite freedom to do anything you want with your life, while conversely makes dumping somebody out the airlock somehow even more hosed up, because now they'll just kinda float in the middle of nowhere for the rest of their days if they can't do a magic thing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

Thanks, this makes sense. So, it's basically narrative permission for all kinds of crap, but the GM is liable to compel you to suffer exhaustion or drop out of it at inconvenient times?

I like the idea that every galactic citizen has the magical power to survive the vacuum of space. Implies a sense infinite freedom to do anything you want with your life, while conversely makes dumping somebody out the airlock somehow even more hosed up, because now they'll just kinda float in the middle of nowhere for the rest of their days if they can't do a magic thing.

Yeah, that's basically how it is with all of them. It's narrative permission, but it requires an aspect so compels like that can happen.

Also, I didn't think about the airlock thing. Creepy. But, then again, only humans and luxury seekers use space ships. Every one else uses telepads and power armor. (As well as Shaper stuff, Magic, Jumping from system to system, etc.)

Edit: Also, I own a physical copy of the Deck of Fate, but anyone have a digital tool for it?

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 6, 2015

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Pyramid alternative quick talk

Modes work, but didn't quite click for people last time we rolled up characters. There's also the fact that due to an excess of character creation that didn't lead to actual games we're planning on starting playing without finishing chargen, just some aspects and stunts sketched out and a big pile of blank skill slots to fill in, and modes is a little too filled out to fill in during play

With that in mind the pyramid would probably fit pretty well as players can just slam an appropriate skill in at an appropriate time, but as discussed earlier it's just going to give people a selection of poo poo skills they never use. Any suggestions as to how I should lay the skills out to mimic modes kind of competencies?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Maybe just "you have X number of skill points, spend them as you wish on whatever skills you want"?

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Approaches?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ShineDog posted:

Pyramid alternative quick talk

Modes work, but didn't quite click for people last time we rolled up characters. There's also the fact that due to an excess of character creation that didn't lead to actual games we're planning on starting playing without finishing chargen, just some aspects and stunts sketched out and a big pile of blank skill slots to fill in, and modes is a little too filled out to fill in during play

With that in mind the pyramid would probably fit pretty well as players can just slam an appropriate skill in at an appropriate time, but as discussed earlier it's just going to give people a selection of poo poo skills they never use. Any suggestions as to how I should lay the skills out to mimic modes kind of competencies?

The way I figure, in this context a Mode is essentially a "partial aspect". It gives you permission for the skills it contains, and affects your megastunts in Atomic Robo, but can't be independently invoked or compelled. I'm still not totally sure how to spread that over a pyramid, but I'm also not sure that you need to. The pyramid itself already accounts for "improved" skills by having something at the apex level, and it takes a similar amount of time to improve such a skill (~4 or 5 adventures, to make the pyramid big enough and also raise the maximum skill level).

I think if you're doing the fill-in through the session anyway, it's ultimately your call as the GM to say, "That's a really powerful stunt that should be pretty core to your character- it needs to be supported by an Aspect."

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I'm running an Atomic Robo game set in the Feng Shui universe, and my players are gearing up for a ship to ship battle in the Ancient juncture. I'm having a bit of trouble on how to conceptualize it. I know it has to be a big set piece thing, a full on conflict and not just a challenge or whatever. I've got a pretty good set-up for car chases, where each car is basically a zone on its own, with a second "zone" for each car representing relative distance, but I think ships should probably be different, especially because of the difference in speeds between ships and cars.

I know that it has to involve the players leaping ship to ship, so I'm thinking each ship is a zone, kind of how I do cars, but I also think that I should fractal each ship, so the ships can fire shots at each other and sink and all that. Also, it has three sides, with the players being on a small ship that is just trying to break through a blockade of the other two armies fighting.

So, any tips on how to set this up, in a way that'll be simple and interesting in play?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You could split each ship up into multiple zones, and give each zone its own stress track and attack ability. That allows the ships to attach each other (trying to destroy the other ship's zones) and if too many zones get destroyed, the ship sinks.

Have each ship have one action per turn (regardless of how many attack zones it has), and let PCs use the ship's attacks as their action if they man the guns or whatever.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Your question reminded me of a thing I wanted to post a few months ago but forgot all about. I did a chase scene boss fight in Inverse World Accelerated a while back where the players had one vehicle, they were chasing another, and a third vehicle was chasing the players (Crab Tank -> PC Truck -> Cultist Truck). The two trucks were an extra with a couple of stress boxes, a -2 consequence, and a couple truck-like aspects, while the Crab Tank was a full sheet because it was the real boss of the fight. The map was five zones in a row, with the vehicles using the standard rule of moving one zone per turn unless you do something special to move an extra zone. Pedestrians, like PCs who hopped out of a truck, had to make special effort to move one zone because these zones are kinda big.

To simulate everything being in motion, anything that can't move the general speed of the chase, including aspects placed on a specific zone, move one zone towards the "back." Anything that is in the last zone and moves off is too far away from the action and is out of the scene. Every couple of turns, the terrain would change in some way that affected the whole chase. The first couple turns were a chase through winding tunnels under the city ("Twisting and Branching" aspect), but then they ramped out to the streets where fruit carts could get smashed or heroic aspects could be compelled to save a kid that was standing in the middle of the road. Eventually the cultist truck was disabled and since it was no longer a chase, it just turned into a normal conflict.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011

Loki_XLII posted:

I'm running an Atomic Robo game set in the Feng Shui universe, and my players are gearing up for a ship to ship battle in the Ancient juncture. I'm having a bit of trouble on how to conceptualize it. I know it has to be a big set piece thing, a full on conflict and not just a challenge or whatever. I've got a pretty good set-up for car chases, where each car is basically a zone on its own, with a second "zone" for each car representing relative distance, but I think ships should probably be different, especially because of the difference in speeds between ships and cars.

I know that it has to involve the players leaping ship to ship, so I'm thinking each ship is a zone, kind of how I do cars, but I also think that I should fractal each ship, so the ships can fire shots at each other and sink and all that. Also, it has three sides, with the players being on a small ship that is just trying to break through a blockade of the other two armies fighting.

So, any tips on how to set this up, in a way that'll be simple and interesting in play?

I think you're overthinking it a lot. This is a massive battle between armies. But it's not the PCs battle. This is the PCs on a small ship, and "winning" for them isn't one side or the other losing, it's getting through the blockade.

Narrow your focus down to where the meat of the story is. You don't need to stat up every single ship. Instead, I would stat up one or two ships and its crews. These are the ones that will be focused on making trouble for the PCs. At the same time, I'd use the fractal to stat up the whole blockade.

Ocean Blockade

Aspects: Too Many Ships, Fog of War, Bombs Ahoy

+4 Cannon Blasts
+3 Block

Stres: [ ][ ][ ]

Stunts: Oh poo poo, There's More: Once per year increase the result of your block roll to being 1 higher than the check against it.

One Minor Consequence Slot

Once per turn, the Ocean Blockade makes an attack against one member of the party and one against the opposition.

Once per turn, you can make a check to try and navigate through the blockade. The Blockade defends with Block.

Once you Take Out the blockade, the PCs have then broken through while the battle rages on, though they might still have some named NPCs with an axe to grind after them.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I'm working on a villain for my upcoming Atomic Robo game, and I could use a little help with the wording for this one stunt. Basically I'm trying to model the character's ability to mess with the party members remotely.

Si-Fan Spiders: may make attacks with Entomology without needing to be present.

This stunt kinda pulls double-duty since it both allows the character to attack with a Science skill and do so from basically anywhere. Does that wording seem clear? Does it make sense?

Also, while I'm here, I have another question. The Bulletproof mega-stunt as written states that it also makes the character immune to anything less powerful than bullets. Is there an elegant way that you would state the opposite? A character who can't be hurt by bullets or anything more "powerful" (bombs, lasers, etc.), but could still be affected by swords/clubs/arrows. How would you word that?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I'd probably say something like

"Iron Skin Stance/Ghost dance shirt: Absolutely bulletproof and explosives-proof, BUT weak to muscle-powered attacks. (Which covers bows, spears, clubs, swords, etc.) Armor (Whatever) against everything else.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 24, 2015

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Could also vary depending on the justification. For something like a Dune-esque deflector shield you could just say something like "anything moving as fast as a bullet or faster (including the super-sonic shockwave of an explosion) is deflected or dampened...but slower attacks are not stopped."

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

oriongates posted:

Could also vary depending on the justification. For something like a Dune-esque deflector shield you could just say something like "anything moving as fast as a bullet or faster (including the super-sonic shockwave of an explosion) is deflected or dampened...but slower attacks are not stopped."
Holtzman's Inverse Repulsibility is a well documented effect.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Serf posted:

I'm working on a villain for my upcoming Atomic Robo game, and I could use a little help with the wording for this one stunt. Basically I'm trying to model the character's ability to mess with the party members remotely.

Mega-stunt, two picks or more. One stunt to unlock the attack, one stunt to create 3 minions acting at (relevant skill - 2), additional picks to give the minions skills at +1 over their base.

This also gives them a justification in the final confrontation for generally aiding/being meatshields for their boss.

Or don't make it a mega-stunt and just, you know, stat things as part of the adventure. Helsingard doesn't have a giant stunt tree for having 20 backup robot brains or Nazi bunkers, that's just what the plot demands.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
So here's an interesting question for the thread. This is something I actually thought about after watching Terminator: Genisys a while back, but only remember to post just now. How do you build a Implacable Boss RPG using ARobo? By this I mean a game where there's only one or a handful (maybe a few handfuls, tops) of antagonists, all of which have maximum plot importance and get the full boss treatment, and which are involved in all action scenes (where action does not necessarily involve fighting, but any sort of non-emotional dramatic tension), acting as your opposition. Antagonists that require significantly more work to beat than just 'we all burn our five regulation FP to bomb these dudes to kingdom come, next'. Basically, a game built around defeating or overcoming enemies with Terminator-level plot armor. Now it'd be easy to say 'the bosses are 100% immune to Attacks until you find the weakspot' and leave it at that, but that's a cheap copout that I don't feel accurately reflects the tension of trying to deal with these kinds of enemies in movies where the protagonists do anything more than run away from them. The protagonists of Terminator movies don't just keep shooting at the bot of the movie because they're stupid, they do it because damage CAN slow them down or weaken them, it's just really hard to make it stick. Can you think of any ways to model this? Especially if there's a 'boss level' player who should have a reasonable license to hurt the boss easier than the other PCs, like a Predator working with humans when up against an Alien? I feel like there's a lot of room to do cool things with bosses, but it shouldn't just come down to giving them impossible dice values so you try to never roll against them or banning the Attack action from doing anything until you say it's go so the players just stack CAs to cockblock anything the boss does with a pile of invokes. Those are the usual copouts to handle boss fights that aren't steamrolls in favor of the PCs (because the PCs have the advantage of having many times more actions than the boss), and both of them are really boring. What I want are ideas on how to make it so every action counts and is extremely valuable - a game where you HAVE to use and abuse your massive action advantage while rolling against the boss to meet objectives or you get crushed, without getting suffocated by silly high roll values. Anything come to mind?

Transient People fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 25, 2015

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

The Concession system is actually already a pretty good way to handle it...the foe just takes a Concession after suffering X amount of Consequences until the final fight where they face the PCs in a battle to the "death"

For instance, take the first Terminator movie:

The club attack on Sarah Conner involves Reese hitting the terminator with the occasional shotgun blast and blown up gas tank to inflict some Stress on the Terminator until he finally manages to inflict a Mild Consequence (something like "Thrown off the Trail"). The GM concedes the fight and the two "PCs" escape. They hide out somewhere and spend a scene establishing character, meanwhile the Terminator is "recovering" from that Mild Consequence.

After that Scene the terminator shows up and attacks them in the garage leading to a shootout/chase scene. This one is dragged out a bit further...the GM lets the PCs inflict both a Mild and a Severe Consequence (say..."Damaged Arm Servos" and "Eye Full of Glass") to the terminator before conceding. This is also why we've got the terminator spending time patching himself up (effectively removing the Mild Consequence and renaming the Severe one to something more social like "Obviously Robotic Eye").

The police station attack isn't really a fight scene...it's more of an event that the "PCs" have to escape from or deal with...they never actually confront Mr. T directly. Given how much goes on between the shootout/car chase you could probably argue that a whole session's worth of time passes before they encounter the terminator again, allowing him to recover his Severe consequence as well (obviously the eye is still damaged but it's not really a problem at this point...i.e. it can't be tagged/compelled).

This leads neatly to the final encounter of the movie where the GM isn't going to cut things short anymore. They've got to face the terminator a final time (who has effectively recovered completely by this point, meaning he's at 100% effectiveness) and this time the GM is fighting to the death.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

You can also potentially take it a step further...treat a "boss fight" as more of a 'survive this scene' challenge rather than a "kill this character" challenge. Remember the fractal: anything can be a character...that means a situation can be your opponent rather than the actual person. This is a good way to represent a fight against an opponent who not only keeps coming back over and over again but gets more dangerous as they do.

Think of JRPGs, where you usually face the character who will end up being the final boss somewhere around the midpoint of the game, just with much lower stats and HP. When the PCs "beat" their opponent the enemy will usually come up with some contrived reason to cut the fight short and leave (or the situation changes due to a floor collapsing, magic crystal exploding, etc).

Then, later on (sometimes several times) you face them again but this time they have bigger and better stats. This can even happen within the same fight. I find it a good strategy for handling really, really powerful bosses in systems (like FATE and Savage Worlds) where it can sometimes be easy for the PCs to simply unload on a single enemy and wipe them out quickly..."This isn't even my final form" may be cliche but it can be effective.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Hey, I'm the guy who asked about boats earlier. All of your advice is great, and I know how I'm gonna do the scene now, but unfortunately one of my players had to take an extended break, so we're taking a break from the game anyway.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Refluffed Tianxia Accelerated for an Exalted game. Good idea or bad idea?

To elaborate, I like the setting of Exalted, but don't like the storyteller engine. I know and like FATE and FAE and Tianxia Accelerated is all about wuxia action. So, I feel it might be a could replacement system and I'm wondering if I'm on point.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

People often bring up FATE as a potential system for Exalted and honestly, as much as I like FATE, I've never seen the appeal. The "rules" of the Exalted setting never seemed to mesh well with FATE's assumptions to me. The biggest one being Fate Points vs. Essence. Fate Points are extremely "external" and very meta-based. They're purely story constructs. Essence on the other hand is a thing that has a much more defined and concrete existence in the setting (even if you don't get to the somewhat ridiculous level of treating motes as some kind of magic-atoms). I've never felt one satisfactorily substituted for the other and having both together in the same game seems like you'd be over-doing it. Just my opinion though.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Sadly, Exalted is a setting that's married to its system. It loses a bunch when you don't have clear rules in place for things like Limit Break, charms and powerful gear. I mean it can be played with anything, sure, but it's never as good as a system well designed with just Exalted in mind.

Yes, by that I mean that there is no good rule system for Exalted, since the Exalted system is also terrible.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Creating a system that "works" to play Exalted has been kind of a white whale for me. Part of the problem is I like a lot of the concepts in the original system that also make the original system problematic, like Charms. I really like the specific, sometimes idiosyncratic charms which help to make the game something other than characters throwing lots of dice at one another, and the first thing most Exalted hacks do is ditch the charm list entirely.

I originally created a PDQ system for Exalted that was almost slavishly devoted to the original design, including things like converting 90% of the charms from both the original books and Lunars and Dragon-blooded into PDQ equivalents (took about 100 pages). The best I can say for that was that it was better than the original system, but it was still a terrible kludge. Then I tried a lighter version of PDQ which replaced most charms with "spontaneous" effects, leaving specific individual charms intact. It was much better but never quite perfect. Now I've gone into uncharted territory, basically abandoning the goal of "cloning" the good bits of Exalted into another system and just creating a new system from the ground up that allows some of the "feel" of Exalted without tying myself too much to its assumptions.

And, in the interest of keeping the discussion somewhat on track with FATE, I will say I think FATE could certainly be used for a fun, high-powered martial arts game and if that's your main goal there's no reason it won't serve just fine. A lot of Exalted's problems can be avoided if you're willing to focus on a particular element of the setting and just play that. If all you're really interested in is cool supernatural martial arts action then things become a lot easier.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Sadly, Exalted is a setting that's married to its system. It loses a bunch when you don't have clear rules in place for things like Limit Break, charms and powerful gear. I mean it can be played with anything, sure, but it's never as good as a system well designed with just Exalted in mind.

Yes, by that I mean that there is no good rule system for Exalted, since the Exalted system is also terrible.

A) Limit Break translates shot for shot as a stress track, just replace the dumb Exalted rules for 'refuses a Compel/takes a two-point Compel or higher'.

B) Charms are just ARobo stunts. More than ever, they are easily translatable to FATE.

C) Since Ex3rd changed gear from stat sticks to new abilities, just making ARobo items covers you there.

Exalted isn't hard to translate to FATE, though I wouldn't use Tianxia as the base for it. What it is is a pain in the rear end, because there's so much you have to translate.

(Also, Ex3rd is a good system for Exalted, but that's a topic for a different thread)

oriongates posted:

People often bring up FATE as a potential system for Exalted and honestly, as much as I like FATE, I've never seen the appeal. The "rules" of the Exalted setting never seemed to mesh well with FATE's assumptions to me. The biggest one being Fate Points vs. Essence. Fate Points are extremely "external" and very meta-based. They're purely story constructs. Essence on the other hand is a thing that has a much more defined and concrete existence in the setting (even if you don't get to the somewhat ridiculous level of treating motes as some kind of magic-atoms). I've never felt one satisfactorily substituted for the other and having both together in the same game seems like you'd be over-doing it. Just my opinion though.

Counterpoint: For the most part, so's Essence, *especially* in Ex3rd where the stupid 'even a single mote of periph makes you flare' rules went out the window and Charms ceased to be a thing IC, and additionally, if you look at the things that refresh your FP, you realize it's a trivial change to rename them to Willpower and have a practically 100% perfect conversion from Exalted. Honestly, I feel like you could reasonably model Essence with an Anima track or series of consequences (probably a track, since there's usually no lasting consequences for big mote spenditures), and say that big Charms require an Anima box or more. The real problem with Exalted-to-FATE conversions is that you have way more charms than you do stunts, and most of them do have distinct effects, so you either have to provide a shitload of stunts or lose some granularity in the process. Solve that issue and you're set.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 1, 2015

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Much like Exalted itself, an Exalted conversion can only benefit from less granularity. As much as I still love Sidereals to pieces, you really don't need a Charm/stunt for every line of a sutra, especially when trying to do that winds up dumping like four separate, similar "my flying squirrel companion gets stronger" powers at the bottom of a Charm tree.

On the other hand, adding lots and lots of fiddly combine-y stunts to Fate doesn't necessarily make the wheels fall off the system. It depends on how much work you want to do hammering Fate into a more complex machine, but it's not an inherently bad idea unless you really want to squeeze three dozen dice tricks into it.

Converting iconic Exalted Charms (or Charm suites) into stunts could make for a fun laundry list of powers that guarantees little overlap between characters. Nearly everyone gets to have their own secret kung fu trick.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

It's...hmm. This is hard to explain, but it's not about more or less granularity by itself, as much as the impact of having highly granular powers. In Exalted, your competencies are constantly increasing and expanding, because every session or two sessions you're getting a new charm. You can, in a tangible sense, feel yourself getting stronger and more badass, which does a lot to reinforce that feeling of being one of the dudes Queen dedicated Princes of the Universe to. Excellencies also reinforce that, because pool doubling means you always feel like you can rise up to a challenge, at an individually relatively unimportant cost. Whether to keep the 'gain new toys at a speedy pace' and 'easy boosters that don't steal highly limited resources' assumptions or not will do a lot, a LOT to shape how the game plays.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Stunt question.

One of my players has a stunt that is basically "I've got an underslung grenade launcher type deal, I can attack multiple baddies in a zone"

That's the potential to do multiple boxes of damage so it's probably a fate point to invoke "havoc shot" based on the note in the core, right? We had this wrong first time, and I was calculating stress wrong anyway (just adding up damage from excess shifts like an idiot).

Is a fate pointthat the best way to handle this? I was wondering if "trade in 2 shifts for a single shift hit on someone else" might be a bit more fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ShineDog posted:

Is a fate pointthat the best way to handle this? I was wondering if "trade in 2 shifts for a single shift hit on someone else" might be a bit more fun

I think either would work. Spending a fate point would probably be less abuseable, though, and less work in terms of trying to pay for shifts.