Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

The story in Diablo 3 is just a way to get the player through the levels, and it does that well enough. It's not anything to get bent out of shape over, and I can't understand why so many people have such a burning hatred of it even to this day. I mean, at worst it's forgettable and aside from maybe one thing there's nothing to get upset over.
Because just moving through the levels you'd be accompanied by Leah who you couldn't mute and the engine was built to use cutscenes to mask state transitions so even if you used the automatically skip cutscenes option - which wasn't patched in until over a year after release - you still have the fade to black interruption happening every time they would trigger which is often, because Blizzard has to put in cutscenes every time you pull an important lever or a boss arrives to talk at you.

Until the expansion the "end-game" of Diablo 3 consisted entirely of moving through all the levels four times each while manually skipping cutscenes and listening to the same forced NPC follows do the same exposition over and over. It's a lovely story sure, but most people have a particular hatred of it simply due to how many times it forcibly intruded itself on actually getting through the levels and punching demons. Adventure mode alone is worth the cost of the expansion due to Blizzard's idea of how important the Diablo story is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Bieeardo posted:

I've heard that the last chapter is kind of cathartic, at least.

It was cathartic for whatever I threw at my monitor when the credits started.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Anger issues much? I thought the last chapter was fine except for all the button mashing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Tony Phillips posted:

Flatout 2 is great but...

Flatout ultimate carnage is Flatout 2 with the graphics vastly improved. It's really great if you're looking for an arcadey racer with short races. Also has a load of ridiculous stunt events where you get to ragdoll your drivers through the windshield. (Check youtube it's hard to describe.)

The only bad thing about UC is that it doesn't have the licensed soundtrack (I think it was patched out of Flatout 2 after a while too, iirc.) Other than that it's a pretty solid game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Diablo 3's story is bad in that everything is predictable and some of the characters have great potential but then do precisely fuckall. Tyrael is mortal now? Great, now he can be a follower or something and kick rear end. Oh wait no, he's still just useless as ever standing around in the hub.

Leah is less useless but much more grating in how she never shuts up about her mother or how she's a skeptic that demons exist and of Deckard Cain's history, in a world where demons are overunning the world and she's right with you killing them sometimes.

Having said that, it's not so bad that it makes the game not worth playing but it did used to be really obtrusive; later patches that allowed you to skip any and all story sequences automatically and Reaper of Souls Adventure Mode fixed this.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Tezzeract posted:

I thought I'd hate Diablo's story since I spoiled it for myself before playing, but it was still entertaining. Sagacious Zu was some crazy potsmoking sage that came out of nowhere.

Isn't Sagacious Zu from Jade Empire?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Isn't Sagacious Zu from Jade Empire?

Haha yes, he's thinking of the racist caricature Covetous Shen.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Propaganda Hour posted:

Given his voice actor, I'm blown away we don't have Covetous Shen crossing over into Mists of Pandaria.

Cattywampus
Oct 14, 2008

I've been having an issue with the second mission in Ace Combat where the machine gunner points his gun down and continues to fire. Unplugging my controller didn't work. Any help would be much appreciated.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Propaganda Hour posted:

The funny thing is that somehow the racist caricature ended up being the only tolerable character in the entire game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Propaganda Hour posted:

Shen is basically one giant Big Trouble in Little China reference and that movie definitely isn't racially sensitive.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

I was skimming through an Ys FAQ and now I'm pretty certain I don't want to play this game

\/\/\/ I'm well aware. That doesn't make it any less awful.

ovaries fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 28, 2014

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
You know that's optional right?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

monster on a stick posted:

It was cathartic for whatever I threw at my monitor when the credits started.

You are a giant child. Every chapter was fun as hell.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Justin_Brett posted:

You know that's optional right?

"You know she's a 3000 year old dragon trapped in that body right?"

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Scyantific posted:

Ace Combat Assault Horizon worth it at 5 bucks?

Screw the gameplay, is the music score up to par? I've always been ambivalent to the Ace Combat games themselves but their soundtrack is the stuff of legend.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anime, anime never changes.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Are there any good First/Third Person Shooters that have really unique and interesting enemy designs? I started playing XCOM - The Bureau and while it seems okay so far, it makes me sad that we ended up with the same kind of humanoid enemies from the other XCOM games as opposed to getting what they showed off in the 2010 version of the game when it was more of a horror FPS (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdVb4UnqO7A ).

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

ovaries posted:

I was skimming through an Ys FAQ and now I'm pretty certain I don't want to play this game

\/\/\/ I'm well aware. That doesn't make it any less awful.

Skipping out on a potentially fun game because it has a stupid pervy japanese easter egg is a really dumb loving thing.

Disclaimer: I think the YS games are garbage, but I know a lot of people here enjoy them.

e: I mean seriously unless you're trying to get all those sweet sweet cheevos you would never do the things that result in getting this scene in the course of the game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tempest_56 posted:

Screw the gameplay, is the music score up to par? I've always been ambivalent to the Ace Combat games themselves but their soundtrack is the stuff of legend.

I'd say so, it leans more towards the rock side of AC soundtracks as opposed to orchestral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUUchxqHIpM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLqhF2wswYk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbapsli9er8

And, of course, the ending theme is so corny/bad its great. It really is "meaningless Blockbuster movie" soundtrack quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVx1kq0B38U

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

YOURFRIEND posted:

Skipping out on a potentially fun game because it has a stupid pervy japanese easter egg is a really dumb loving thing.

I've got a ton of other potentially fun Steam games sitting around and some of them probably don't even have rapey anime bullshit in them. I think I'll live

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

`

Accordion Man posted:

No they don't, i.e. Cryostasis was taken off the store like two years ago, but I still have it in my account and I can install it.

Are free weekend games included in your total, because that's the only thing I could think of.

I still have Homefront in my library :patriot:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

homewrecker posted:

Are there any good First/Third Person Shooters that have really unique and interesting enemy designs? I started playing XCOM - The Bureau and while it seems okay so far, it makes me sad that we ended up with the same kind of humanoid enemies from the other XCOM games as opposed to getting what they showed off in the 2010 version of the game when it was more of a horror FPS (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdVb4UnqO7A ).

a fantastic fps is Bulletstorm, but that's more for gameplay reasons and story than enemy designs.

It's not exceptional but I always thought Bioshock 1 had some great looking baddies. Doom 3 has solid enemy designs, I've always heard. You could always throw in Deadspace if you have Doom 3 on the list.

Binary Domain had some pretty bomb robot baddies. It's also just a great loving game in general.

Ghostbusters: The Videogame (NOT sanctum of slime) has cool looking ghosts.

I really don't know that I've ever thought a game had AMAZING WOW enemies all the time. :shrug:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 28, 2014

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Has anyone tried the steam daily deal game Landmark? My wife and I love playing exploration / building games together

Another goon gifted me this today, so I played it for about an hour. I didn't realize it til I went back to look at the store page, but I guess it's by (all or some of?) the Everquest developers. It's still in Early Access so it's a little buggy at times (I had a couple out-of-nowhere crashes and a couple more freezes.) It feels like a typical MMO, with crafting, from items you mine and harvest. The main gimmick is that you can stake claims in particular parts of land that aren't already claimed yet, and then build things on that claim with the materials you gather around the world. The first world I randomly chose didn't seem to have much open land, so I went to another, that was practically abandoned (again, Early Access so not a lot of people playing I guess).

The graphics are really nice, and from looking at things built on other player's claimed land, there's some pretty impressive stuff you can build. There's not much else to the game right now, no quests, no monsters to fight, no pvp, but I read in the forums those things are going to be added at some point. Anyway, as I said, I've enjoyed it so far, so if you're into crafting/building/exploration in games, I recommend checking it out, especially if it's on sale.

raven77 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 28, 2014

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

homewrecker posted:

Deadspace 1 & 2 are both really good and have excellent monster design (only played 10 mins of 3 so I can't really comment on it).

I'll echo Drifter that Binary Domain is pretty drat cool, but Doom 3 hasn't aged very well, especially if you're looking for a "Doom-style" game; it's more of a scary version of Half-Life than a run-and-gun FPS.

It also looks ugly as sin, even with the BFG edition "upgrade".

Oh, it's not a shooter, but Zeno Clash is a first person brawler that has some really imaginative character/setting design.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Papercut posted:

The funny thing is that somehow the racist caricature ended up being the only tolerable character in the entire game.

It's because everyone else is taking things deadly serious 100% of the time and he's like, "lolwut, I wonder where we're going today? Oh, would you like me to smash your gems to turn them into one big gem? Sure, that will cost more gold than the GDP of Caldeum"

Also his ally quest is amazing and heartbreaking and is written remarkably well, giving you a fairly open-ended story you can take at face value or not.

Meanwhile,

"MY STOMACH HURTS."

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack
There's a lot of talk about Diablo and how it's the king of ARPG. I have both Torchlights, along with D3 and its expansion. Ideally, I feel like the best ARPG is one that has tons of content, whereas Diablo's adventure mode is basically "here is you returning to parts of the game you've already seen, maybe with a couple monsters that are variably different than the last time."

Is there an ARPG that just has heaps of content that always feels fresh?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Machinima Man posted:

There's a lot of talk about Diablo and how it's the king of ARPG. I have both Torchlights, along with D3 and its expansion. Ideally, I feel like the best ARPG is one that has tons of content, whereas Diablo's adventure mode is basically "here is you returning to parts of the game you've already seen, maybe with a couple monsters that are variably different than the last time."

I'm not an arpg guy, but I've played a few.

For reference, I was horrendously bored with both Torchlight 1 and Torchlight 2.

Divine Divinity is a wonderful cross between legit rpg and awesome arpg. It's a bit older, so it looks like a better Diablo 2.

I found Titan Quest w/ Immortal THrone and the Underworld mod to be really fun back in the day.

I've recently had lots of fun with Van Helsing, but it stopped being fun for me very close to the end. It might be more fun at the end for you crazy power users and grods, however.

Does something like Bastion count? When you have all the god modifiers it can be pretty tough. And it's certainly fun. I'm not one to play newgame++++++ though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

YOURFRIEND posted:

Disclaimer: I think the YS games are garbage, but I know a lot of people here enjoy them.

e: I mean seriously unless you're trying to get all those sweet sweet cheevos you would never do the things that result in getting this scene in the course of the game.
alternate opinion: I don't think Ys Origin or Oath have that poo poo in them and they're actually Good Games

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Drifter posted:

I'm not an arpg guy, but I've played a few.

For reference, I was horrendously bored with both Torchlight 1 and Torchlight 2.

Divine Divinity is a wonderful cross between legit rpg and awesome arpg. It's a bit older, so it looks like a better Diablo 2.

I found Titan Quest w/ Immortal THrone and the Underworld mod to be really fun back in the day.

I've recently had lots of fun with Van Helsing, but it stopped being fun for me very close to the end. It might be more fun at the end for you crazy power users and grods, however.

Does something like Bastion count? When you have all the god modifiers it can be pretty tough. And it's certainly fun. I'm not one to play newgame++++++ though.

I'd also add Iesabel to that list. It's cheap (currently 75% off on the Steam store, right now), certainly not lacking for content (especially for the current price), and the only drawback I've run into is that it can be frustrating at times (then again, I'm terrible at playing games). It's also been in a bunch of bundles, so if you pass on it now, I'm sure it will find its way into one again, soon.

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 28, 2014

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I've been dabbling in Sacred 2 Gold and it seems to have an absolutely massive amount of content. Like dozens of side quests show up and you're doing them all and after hours and hours of it you're still only level 15 (I think the level cap is like 200).

Unfortunately the actual gameplay seems to be ridiculously boring compared to D3, something that seems to be true of basically all other ARPGs.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

raven77 posted:

Another goon gifted me this today, so I played it for about an hour. I didn't realize it til I went back to look at the store page, but I guess it's by (all or some of?) the Everquest developers. It's still in Early Access so it's a little buggy at times (I had a couple out-of-nowhere crashes and a couple more freezes.) It feels like a typical MMO, with crafting, from items you mine and harvest. The main gimmick is that you can stake claims in particular parts of land that aren't already claimed yet, and then build things on that claim with the materials you gather around the world. The first world I randomly chose didn't seem to have much open land, so I went to another, that was practically abandoned (again, Early Access so not a lot of people playing I guess).

The graphics are really nice, and from looking at things built on other player's claimed land, there's some pretty impressive stuff you can build. There's not much else to the game right now, no quests, no monsters to fight, no pvp, but I read in the forums those things are going to be added at some point. Anyway, as I said, I've enjoyed it so far, so if you're into crafting/building/exploration in games, I recommend checking it out, especially if it's on sale.
AFAIK Landmark was a weird kind of proto-beta of Everquest Next focused on testing out terrain and crafting systems and to get players to create assets for use in EQ Next. Apparently the game has been so popular they have since veered it off towards being its own separate product they will flesh out over time.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Titans Quest + Immortal Throne has the most amount of content in any ARPG ever. You owe yourself to play it just for the shear scope of content if that's what you want. So many different build variations and items as well.

For something more recent, you might want to look into Marvel Heroes--especially as it's free. I've just started playing it recently and it's really quite fun, theres a little bit of an MMO and social aspect that makes it very lively when you easily party up with random people and go through the content. Combat is actually pretty drat good and satisfying. The game has no problems throwing hundreds of fodder at you to blow away.

I haven't finished it yet, but it feels like there's a lot of stuff to do with a ton of hero choices that all play differently, and they seem to be adding more.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 28, 2014

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Bieeardo posted:

I've heard that the last chapter is kind of cathartic, at least.

I can say from my own personal and subjective experience that the entire game is amazing and at no point was any chapter a let-down. I'm at the last one now and while it sure is a lot of QTEs I'm still enjoying it. I've enjoyed it all enough to give the comic books a try despite knowing that it gets really "Pro-Israel" or something later in the series.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'd say so, it leans more towards the rock side of AC soundtracks as opposed to orchestral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUUchxqHIpM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLqhF2wswYk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbapsli9er8

And, of course, the ending theme is so corny/bad its great. It really is "meaningless Blockbuster movie" soundtrack quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVx1kq0B38U

As someone who really liked the soundtracks to the first two Ace Combats (not that I don't like the orchestral tracks of the PS2 and AC6) I was really happy they did this kind of heavy rock/orchestral mix. I think it worked out really well.

And yes, the version of the ending song with lyrics is an amazing piece of dumb music. Though I think if you take out the lyrics its actually good, pretty sure its used in a few places during the game.

Znae
Aug 13, 2009

Eviscerating that man on the operating table isn't that big a deal, just go back to medical school real quick and give it another shot.
I got an Xbox One controller for my PC despite its ridiculous price and I absolutely love it. I'm eagerly awaiting being able to use it wirelessly, if that will ever happen.

Anybody know if or when Microsoft will release a PC dongle? How long did it take them to release a dongle for Xbox 360 controllers? Google hasn't been very helpful.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So having a quest where Geralt gets drunk and fights two monsters was pretty amusing, but putting an ambush of dogs between you and the nearest fireplace? Not quite so funny.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Geralt runs faster while drunk if he's waving his sword. Try it. :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Geralt and the Chicken stuff was the funniest loving thing the first time I saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

I can say from my own personal and subjective experience that the entire game is amazing and at no point was any chapter a let-down. I'm at the last one now and while it sure is a lot of QTEs I'm still enjoying it. I've enjoyed it all enough to give the comic books a try despite knowing that it gets really "Pro-Israel" or something later in the series.

I admit, I haven't really been impressed with the writing on Telltale's serious business games, but I read Fables and its spinoffs for a drat long time. There's some creepiness here and there (Willingham has a hard time writing villainesses who aren't panties-on-head insane), but it's a fun read for the first... sixty issues or so. Somewhere in that area there's an obvious Happily Ever After moment, after which the comic's dynamic begins to change and never really recovers. I quit sometime after issue 100, when he handwaved a villain of enormous potency away in six frames.

I can recommend the 1001 Nights of Snowfall prequel book, which is really quite lovely, as well as the Jack spinoff and the short crossover between the two series. Cinderella: From Fabletown with Love is a fantastic miniseries, but Fables Are Forever ended its second-last issue on such a hosed up turn that I simply refused to read the last issue.

• Locked thread