Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Minorkos posted:

Huh. I played a few hours ago and I noticed that I had to put like 10 rounds into the center mass of those butcher cyborgs to take them down. Are those things just naturally super tanky?

Yes, and keep in mind that those are more tanks for cyborgs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Minorkos posted:

i just spent 30 minutes picking up samples by myself on a very hard mission and then i died 10 seconds before extraction arrived. help

farm samples on low lvl missions

WaKa WaKa
Jul 18, 2011

Sard posted:

When did the last expansion come out, anyway? Is there much hope for further major content additions to Helldivers? I mean what we have now owns and is plenty, but I'm curious since Magicka had stuff come out for it forever.

The all terrain and precision expert packs didn't come out too long ago. Maybe a week or two before the PC release, but that doesn't really mean anything. I'm hoping that the PC release means there's scope to continue development.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Do you get to keep research points if you abort mission? I wasnt paying attention when I was playing over the weekend, where I actually aborted because i let a train get out of sight while I was dealing with reloads and too many alerts. I had picked up some research, and I don't recall if I kept it or not when I aborted.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

WaKa WaKa posted:

I dunno...I find every SMG just awful even levelled up. I'm sure they suit a different play style to mine but I find myself dying a hell of a lot more whenever I try to use one.

I'm not a huge fan of the DLC mechs, they're just too niche.

The Lumberer runs out of ammo WAY too quick even at full upgrade and the Obsidian can't deal with heavy armour, I know it's not meant to but it just feels like a wasted slot compared to the normal Exo.

It's fun to have two people with the recoiless rifle, or other support pack based AT weapons, and run around reloading each other. Not sure if it's a tactic of the PC players, but on the PS4 I do this a lot.

Double the hilarious destuctiveness.

I use both the SMG and the DLC Mechs, although typically not together.

Usually if I drop with the Lumberer I'm taking Strafing Run and Precision Call-In. Strafing Run has a low-enough cooldown that you don't really need to lean on the flamethrower to clear out trash mobs, and anyway that's what teammates are for. I'll drop with an SMG if I'm playing support bitch for a heavy gunner, or with All-Terrain Boots if the team is running an APC and needs someone to get out and get the bag or whatever else. The stun rounds don't do a ton of damage but they force enemies to stay in one spot for mortars and airstrike type call-ins.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I wish/hope they add some kind of function to mix up what stratagems are used. I try to shake mine up but generally fall back on the same few favorites.

Maybe add an opt in feature that randomly picks your gems in exchange for a 15% score bonus or something.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Caffeine IV posted:

Double Freedom's fun to play with, but I'm not sure the damage'll scale well into high-level runs. Something to try.
I was taking the Double Freedom to high difficulty (9/10, haven't tried higher yet but it shouldn't be too different) Bug and Cyborg planets and it's good enough. The main thing is to get the Phosphorus rounds because before that it kinda sucks.

Kiggles posted:

Yeah, there are a couple of odd cases like these. They could probably use a change to the final upgrade that gives them some odd/unique property. I guess the Defender has the stun, which actually makes it a really good weapon for case delivery, since you don't have to (or even really want to) be killing things as the errand boy, and rather want to keep moving. The stun lets you stop enemies. Your team mates can deal with it and sprint to catch up, if need be. And between cases, you can use the stun as CC on some tough targets. The range really kills it, though, so the railgun tends to work better for the same purpose AND has the potential to gently caress up the bigger targets.
The thing is though is that the Knight also has mini-stun ammo (it has the exact same upgrade tree to be exact), so once you get the Knight the only reason the Defender exists is to be there to make you scroll past it on the weapon select to get to the Knight.

Kiggles posted:

Liberty is really the disappointing one. It just doesn't do enough damage for its rate of fire to be worth it, but increasing the damage just a little would probably compete too much with the other ARs, since it does have a good balanced RoF. Replacing one of the higher upgrades with some sort of unique property on upgrade might be a good compromise. If it is a new/unique feature exclusive to the Liberator, even better. Maybe something like a ricochet effect (not unstoppable, but bullets that change course after hitting a target)? That wouldn't make it's sometimes troubling damage any better, but would mitigate lightly armored packs of NPCs and at least give it a little niche that some players might prefer over other weapons.
I really like the underbarrel grenade launcher idea someone mentioned, but without any big changes I'd say they should give the Liberator AP ammo. That would make the choices between the three more interesting I think because then your options would be:
Liberator: Medium RoF, medium size magazine, AP ammo
Justice: Lower RoF, smaller magazine, AP ammo, unstoppable
Patriot: Highest RoF, largest magazine

Sard posted:

When did the last expansion come out, anyway? Is there much hope for further major content additions to Helldivers? I mean what we have now owns and is plenty, but I'm curious since Magicka had stuff come out for it forever.
Looks like the last expansion and DLCs came out on Oct 26/27th respectively, and the PC release was announced on Nov 7th so they were probably working on that right after. I'd say there's a decent chance we'll see more DLC.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I can't understand why they made SMGs a primary weapon. There really should have been a secondary weapon slot for one-hands and a secondary perk slot for lovely perks (I'm looking at you Strong Arm.)

Also, this game could deal with not punishing players with wide-screens, having less visual space above and below makes for awkward moments depending on the objective.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
SMGs seem like they'd be more useful against high level bugs and illuminate than medium level bugs or cyborgs of any difficulty. The range is still poo poo, but the flying bug scouts and illuminate drones have to get closer to alert than the other scout types. The most dangerous enemies that bugs and illuminates can field are both vulnerable to the mini stun ammo, although you still have to be careful as hell about brood commanders and the AoE confuse pulse of council members probably out-ranges an SMG. That said, my opinions on SMGs are all guesses, I haven't given them a shot.

The Obsidian wrecks illuminate and wastes less time firing glancing shots into striders than the base mech. The biggest weakness of it is shared across all mechs, it's really slow. I haaaate progressing through a map at walking speed because some guy is too attached to their mech. It's almost always worse because a different idiot doesn't realize that mechs move at walking speed and is constantly sprinting against the edge of the map and spamming the move emote while triggering patrols. The Lumberer is alright for defending a point. The ammo is limited when solo, but if you've got teammates to splash the infantry patrols it lasts a long enough time. Compared to any cooldown based anti-tank stratagem the Lumberer gives you 15 minutes worth of antitank fire all up front, used however you want. The biggest weakness is, again, it's so slow.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

For whoever was asking about it earlier, you CAN single shot the burst fire weapons with keyboard/mouse, apparently you have to do a quick click on the mouse fire button rather than holding down at all.

edit: also, for those who wondered, it only took 6.6% of steam helldivers to take the bug homeworld.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 29, 2015

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
So the IRC channel is dead. How does one find Steam goons to join up with and HELLDIVE now?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

It seems like there are very few people available for pub games. Is something going on with the matchmaking or is the steam playercount just low? I guess it didn't help that Helldivers is like the only game that didn't go on sale

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can see the number of players online on the map screen. i believe the default search options are to not show full games or games that are on the ship so only active missions with open spaces are shown to you.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Drop the SOS beacon it's pretty handy at getting randos to join you.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Awesome! posted:

you can see the number of players online on the map screen. i believe the default search options are to not show full games or games that are on the ship so only active missions with open spaces are shown to you.

I think that number might include the PS4 and PS3 crew.

I rarely see any open games, even with all the filters removed. Sometimes people join in on my solo missions, but it only happens like once every 50 minutes.

edit: haven't tried the SOS beacon yet though. I just thought it was weird that there's almost never any games open

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Minorkos posted:

I think that number might include the PS4 and PS3 crew.
it shouldnt since there isnt cross play between them. we should test that sometime

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Steam Community hub says there are 1,456 players online right now. I went and checked for open games and there's a total of 1 with all the filters removed.

So yeah I guess people like to play by themselves or the matchmaking is being a dick to me

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

weird. just make your own game and drop a beacon and see if anyone joins. i have good success with that now on playstation

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Minorkos posted:

Steam Community hub says there are 1,456 players online right now. I went and checked for open games and there's a total of 1 with all the filters removed.

So yeah I guess people like to play by themselves or the matchmaking is being a dick to me

I think its the match-maker having issues on PC. earlier today I had 12+ games. An hour ago I had two. So its probably the servers.

Also, the Personal Shield prevents Cyborg Dog AI from charging you for some reason, really great tool to have when the next cycle starts.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Where are you located? If you are in a smaller region like myself (Singapore), change your location to the US on Steam so you get grouped up with the US people.

Singapore is pretty sad and I get almost no matches at all. Hope they change it to global matches soon.

WaKa WaKa
Jul 18, 2011

Awesome! posted:

it shouldnt since there isnt cross play between them. we should test that sometime

We can test this.

I play this exclusively on the PS4, since I'm not willing to buy the same game twice.

We can synchronise an available helldivers check and see if the results are near identical.

I suspect the numbers of PS players and PC players are pooled, since the volumes given earlier are about the same as I see. Also pretty sure the "no cross play" is a Sony imposed thing. Consoles don't like to share.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

The Paragon is underrated, used it (fully upgraded) until I got the Justice, and still prefer it in a lot of situations even though my Justice is also maxed out. It just goes through ammo so fast in comparison :(

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

jerichojx posted:

Where are you located? If you are in a smaller region like myself (Singapore), change your location to the US on Steam so you get grouped up with the US people.

Singapore is pretty sad and I get almost no matches at all. Hope they change it to global matches soon.

Okay yeah I had my download region set to New Zealand since I wanted to unlock Fallout 4 faster back in November. I set it back to my actual area and I instantly found around 20 games

WaKa WaKa
Jul 18, 2011
Paragon is my default weapon against the bugs.

The need to slow is much greater with them than any other faction since you can be overwhelmed really quickly with thier hordes.

Agree that the SMGs, hell all one handed weapons, should be able to replace pistol. Being able to chose your secondary weapons without wasting a perk slot would make some of those weapons pointful.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Essobie posted:

So the IRC channel is dead. How does one find Steam goons to join up with and HELLDIVE now?

I'm interested in the answer to this too. I just picked up this game and like it so far. Now I just need goons to accidentally murder helldive with. Not a fan of how aiming works, but I'll get used to it.

Steam ID: DinosaurVet

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I picked this game up late last week in the steam holiday sale. I promptly got horrifically sick and was unable to do much of anything except play games. I decided "screw it, I'll try that divers game"

I've now played about 8 hours and practically itch for more. Game rules. Say hello to democracy.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

Travic posted:

I'm interested in the answer to this too. I just picked up this game and like it so far. Now I just need goons to accidentally murder helldive with. Not a fan of how aiming works, but I'll get used to it.

Steam ID: DinosaurVet

Invite sent. My steam ID is: Essobie

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

If you're on PC and wanting to dive with goons, a fistful of us picked this up recently and we are having a ball with it. We hang out in the CTS mumble (check PGS for the connection info) in the Hangout Group under Payday 2. I realize that's a little confusing but if we get a couple of divers coming in I'll talk to the admins to get our little community moved.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

WaKa WaKa posted:

I suspect the numbers of PS players and PC players are pooled, since the volumes given earlier are about the same as I see. Also pretty sure the "no cross play" is a Sony imposed thing. Consoles don't like to share.

Don't like to, but will. Rocket League does, after all, and did from the start. This has been out for most of a year on PS, they have already got a shitload of money from it, anything they get from PC is probably gravy for Sony.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Coolguye posted:

If you're on PC and wanting to dive with goons, a fistful of us picked this up recently and we are having a ball with it. We hang out in the CTS mumble (check PGS for the connection info) in the Hangout Group under Payday 2. I realize that's a little confusing but if we get a couple of divers coming in I'll talk to the admins to get our little community moved.

I'll jump on, been playing a lot of Payday 2... too...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Holy crap that's a lot of divers that have come in this morning. I will have to talk to the admins to see what makes sense here.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Coolguye posted:

Holy crap that's a lot of divers that have come in this morning. I will have to talk to the admins to see what makes sense here.

Liberty has come for the mumble. You can't fight it. Only surrender to democracy.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
Cool. Yeah, I checked CTS and didn't see a Helldivers room. I just successfully played with 3-5 strangers (a couple came and went) for the last couple of hours and was pleasantly surprised at how well everyone seemed to work together. I can only assume that this was a giant fluke. Dropping an SOS beacon right at the start of an Easy 3 mission grabbed one guy that was level 27 or some poo poo and he stayed the entire time (and was, frankly, a massive carry).

I'd rather yuck it up with goons via voicechat, though. So after some lunch and a break, I think I'll head over to Payday2 on CTS and meet up with you nerds.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Oh this is going to be good. I'll be on later tonight (EST) after I get home from work.

Fair warning: I only have about an hour in Helldivers so I am still quite terrible.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I've actually pubbed it up in this game a half dozen times now and never had anything but good experiences. The one time someone rage quit halfway through a mission, the other 2 guys stuck it out and we ended up with this super awesome rolling gun fight away from a cyborg armored column when none of us had any AT. The host had jacked up the difficulty without telling us and we had missed it. I threw an SOS in a panic and we got someone to come in who was carrying just enough AT for us to get a breather, pass out satchel charges, and get the mission done.

We definitely did not get low death bonus that time, but it was one of the most exhilarating experiences I've had playing an online game in a long time. I have yet to meet a very rude or disruptive player, and even the clueless ones are quick to admit they are clueless and take direction very well.

This game is like, the unicorn game with a truly fun loving community it seems.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Double post but oh yeah, the hangout group is typically for people who are doing just that, hanging out. If there's other dudes talking and stuff you can probably commandeer a payday 2 channel until i talk to a CTS admin and get stuff sorted out.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
My pub experiences have also generally been pretty good. You'll sometimes get a batch of lowish level folks, sub level 10, who don't quite understand yet that it is better to flee than fight. Even then, they tend to be pretty good missions, if a little 'expensive' (time consuming, really).

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Also, the Illuminate boss fight was insanely difficult but I got it done, I think it gave us something like 7.5k exp? We each had 15 or so deaths and it took about 25 minutes of kiting, but the group managed to do it. My luck with pubbies on difficulty 11 and 12 missions has been pretty great, they all seem pretty competent, probably moreso than me.

Also I just got ceremonial armor, so that's neat.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I also have had great experiences at high difficulty levels with pubs. Got my shredder and my HPC or whatever (the anti tank 4 man APC) and just don't have more cause I don't play as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012
Aha, I see Coolguye has started the spreading of democracy to mumble!

Yeah picked up the game recently, about half my play time is with pubs and it's been really good.

• Locked thread