Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Anyone got any idea what might be the cause of this? Every morning my phone and watch keep prompting to pair with each other again. Once I let them do so they're fine for the rest of the day again. Seems to happen every day at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

iajanus posted:

Anyone got any idea what might be the cause of this? Every morning my phone and watch keep prompting to pair with each other again. Once I let them do so they're fine for the rest of the day again. Seems to happen every day at the moment.

Software issue of some sort, the bluetooth stack is still kinda janky (and that's after years of improvement). My watch and phone used to have a similar issue but it was resolved at some point via some combination of watch and phone updates.

Don't think there's anything you can do personally about it.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

iajanus posted:

I have that issue maybe 3 days per week. It's a minor annoyance but it would be nice to find a solution. I'm using Moto 360 first gen and Nexus 6P.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

My combo is a Huawei Watch and a Sony Z5. One day I'll find a solution....

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

My OG 360 started to feel warm on my wrist and lost all battery within 15 minutes. It then wouldn't reliably charge on its cradle. I triggered a factory reset on the device at 100% battery, and now 6 minutes later I am down to 57% battery. The device is warm again.

It is about 14 months old. Is there a fix, or is it time to file for an Amex warranty replacement/payback?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

IFA is apparently the smart watch reveal show now.

Round Zenwatch 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG_sj682xXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdlEpJyULhQ

Posted about the Samsung Gear S3 in the wearables thread too.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Gonna need NFC (for making purchases), OLED screen, cell radio, and GPS in a watch to get me to upgrade from my Huawei watch.

That or an actual 2-3 day battery life.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Nitrousoxide posted:

Gonna need NFC (for making purchases), OLED screen, cell radio, and GPS in a watch to get me to upgrade from my Huawei watch.

The S3 has that, but runs Tizen. The OS looks good actually, but I don't expect it to have the apps or the future Wear does.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

The S3 has that, but runs Tizen. The OS looks good actually, but I don't expect it to have the apps or the future Wear does.

Yeah the s3 looks reeeeeeeeeally good. I especially like MST support. Honestly I should add that to my requirements for Android wear, but I think Samsung owns the only company that implements it?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Thermopyle posted:

Number one rule of consumer electronics is buy it for what it does now, not future promises. Tizen on the watch has gained basically zero notable app support since it launched and they presumably paid off launch partners like Uber.

If the S3 does everything you want it to absolutely buy it, just don't buy it because you think that any other app developers besides who it has now is going to develop like they are for Wear.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nitrousoxide posted:

I get two days no problem on my Huatch. Went to Seattle for three days recently and didn't even bring the charger and it was still fine when I got home.

The Canadian dollar exchange will probably prevent me from buying every single watch this round. :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

IFA is apparently the smart watch reveal show now.

Round Zenwatch 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG_sj682xXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdlEpJyULhQ

Posted about the Samsung Gear S3 in the wearables thread too.

I'd never buy a watch with a recessed screen, they're so ugly. They look like toys.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Three Olives posted:

Number one rule of consumer electronics is buy it for what it does now, not future promises. Tizen on the watch has gained basically zero notable app support since it launched and they presumably paid off launch partners like Uber.

If the S3 does everything you want it to absolutely buy it, just don't buy it because you think that any other app developers besides who it has now is going to develop like they are for Wear.

Yes, that's what I said.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LastInLine posted:

I'd never buy a watch with a recessed screen, they're so ugly. They look like toys.

Is that anything besides 360? Do normal watches come with non-recessed screens? Nothing I've ever bought.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Is that anything besides 360? Do normal watches come with non-recessed screens? Nothing I've ever bought.

As far as I know in Android Wear-land, only the 360 comes that way. But yeah, normal watches do come that way. I just GIS'd "watch" and the majority of the pictures on the first page are without a recessed face.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I think the Zen 3 looks good over all, but I am curious if it had gps or heart monitor functions. And I would like to see one in person.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Slightly weird looking but not bad overall. Definitely waiting for the Google watches before I make any decision though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I get two days no problem on my Huatch. Went to Seattle for three days recently and didn't even bring the charger and it was still fine when I got home.

The Canadian dollar exchange will probably prevent me from buying every single watch this round. :(

I get about 12 hours out of mine, but I also use mine to do fitness tracking for an hour a day and get a bazillion notifications.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

What happens when I mis-align the charger on mine. Definitely the worst part of the whole device, that stupid puck.

NFC and Qi would sell me on an upgrade. I don't want a cell radio or GPS, my phone's already got those things. I can see how someone who cares more about the fitness tracking aspect of it might want those features to be able to leave their phone behind, but I'd rather have more battery and/or less cost by leaving them out.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I could get by with just gps and no cell radio tbh for my runs.

And yeah. Qi charging would be great, though I'm willing to spend the extra couple of seconds making sure it's aligned if it adds a lot of bulk or price.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Looks like both of the Fossil watches have a non-recessed screen.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LastInLine posted:

Looks like both of the Fossil watches have a non-recessed screen.

Yep just saw those, don't think they look great. I can't believe flat tires are still a thing - far worse than recessed screens IMO, which I think are a positive since they protect the screen. I was always worried I damaged my 360's screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0IYa-ObXPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veR-3eGNruc

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I could get by if Bluetooth just worked the way it's supposed to. I'm fairly certain my phone is to blame, but now:

* Every couple of days my phone and watch will just sit there trying to pair with each other with a new code over and over again

* When I'm wearing my watch in the car my car will randomly decide to change in the phone to "connected (no phone) " so when i answer a call it is on the handset and if I tell it to be on the Bluetooth device via the dialer it uses my watch. I need to delete and readd the call audio seeing for the car for it to work again.

Any idea why this might be happening?

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.
Is there a general consensus on the best fitness based smartwatch? I thought the Sony smartwatch has since nice features. I know the Garmin watch is nice but I think I'd rather have an Android based watch that tried to do the fitness stuff well vs. a fitness based one that tries to be a smartwatch.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I love my forerunner 620 but that's just me

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yep just saw those, don't think they look great. I can't believe flat tires are still a thing - far worse than recessed screens IMO, which I think are a positive since they protect the screen. I was always worried I damaged my 360's screen.

I am not a fan of the flat tire (at all) but I just feel the opposite. In my line of work my 360 takes a lot of abuse, it's around machinery and hardened steel and gets hit all the time and not a scratch on the screen. In fact, the only scratch on it at all is on the bezel which says to me that if the screen had been recessed, it'd have been beaten to hell by now.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The only defense for the flat tire is they allow a light sensor to be placed on the face without a huge bezel. That's definitely a minor hardware feature that I really miss on the Huawei.

As for the recessed design, I agree in theory but in practice I think LastInLine has a point. I spend a lot of time reaching in to walls, behind desks, etc so I end up scraping my watch on things a lot. My wrist also hangs pretty much right at doorknob height, which means I've smacked the watch hard on a doorknob more times than I can count. The screen is perfect still, where the bezel has a few noticeable scratches. I'm sure I could polish those out if I cared enough, but still.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
So IFA is a wash for smartwatches then? Nothing that exciting announced.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

frozenpeas posted:

So IFA is a wash for smartwatches then? Nothing that exciting announced.

I guess if the ZenWatch 3 isn't to your liking, then no. I like the Fossils but can't imagine they're that much better than the Moto 360.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've never actually used Fit on my OG 360 to track an activity other than the passive step tracking it always does.

Yesterday I went on a 4 mile moderate difficulty hike and tried tracking it via manually initiating a Fit walking activity. Started at around 80% battery life. Watch was dead after about 1.5 miles.

Obviously the battery is getting old (big downside of smartwatches, IMO), but I feel like that might be particularly bad even accounting for the age of the watch.

Which watches do better at this?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The problem with using fit on the watch is it can never go in low power Bluetooth mode because it is constantly exchanging data with the phone. I'd recommend starting the hike on your phone instead.

Even my Huawei watch burns about 33% per hour if I have the screen off while tracking a walk or run.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Nitrousoxide posted:

The problem with using fit on the watch is it can never go in low power Bluetooth mode because it is constantly exchanging data with the phone. I'd recommend starting the hike on your phone instead.

Even my Huawei watch burns about 33% per hour if I have the screen off while tracking a walk or run.

Why would it sync the data constantly? The data doesn't need to be on your phone until your activity is over or you look at the app on the phone.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Michael Kors getting into the game with another uninspired effort

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/06/michael-kors-access-smartwatch-review/

The traditional watch companies seem to be just throwing their hat into the ring without really trying to do anything unique or even good.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Michael Kors getting into the game with another uninspired effort

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/06/michael-kors-access-smartwatch-review/

The traditional watch companies seem to be just throwing their hat into the ring without really trying to do anything unique or even good.

Wow, those are bad.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

With that much bezel why the hell would they need a flat tyre?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

iajanus posted:

With that much bezel why the hell would they need a flat tyre?

They get to use parts that already exist rather than engineering their own.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't even look like they've put a light sensor on the flat tyre!

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

So are those gaudy MK watches made by Fossil, since Fossil makes all their other watches/owns/are partners?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's not like Michael Kors makes nice traditional watches, so I'm not sure why anyone would expect anything different for their smartwatches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

uPen posted:

Why would it sync the data constantly? The data doesn't need to be on your phone until your activity is over or you look at the app on the phone.

When you start a workout on your watch the phone is checking GPS coordinates so your watch will frequently ping the phone for updates on the distance traveled.