Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't really think there's anything gritty about Schumacher's Batman. It's dark, sure, but in the same way a laser tag maze is dark. Gotham City is made up almost entirety of props for specific bat gadgets and transports and lit by neon colors. It's not grimy or gritty because after Batman locks up the bad guys there's employees who come along to sweep up and put it back in place for the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lurdiak posted:

It's fine if you guys like the Batman Burton films, but please don't act like people who don't are somehow joyless or care too much about the source material or whatever.

I just find them to be very stupid movies that waste some excellent performances.

Who was doing that?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I remember seeing '89 Batman in theaters when I was a kid and I loved it! I also wasn't familiar enough with the source material to be judgmental, I just thought it was fun but also dark and spooky in a way. It might not hold up so great now and it's clearly not the same Batman as in the comics, but I think it's a fantastic film and deserves a little respect. It's a classic.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Batman 89 logo is one of the best bits of corporate branding in history.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Holy poo poo! Finally started on the Morrison run and I'm maybe 20 pages into "batman and son" and it's some of the most riveting poo poo I've ever read of batman. Damian is one bad mean pissed off little poo poo. He's loving Joffrey as a ninja. This is gonna be one hell of a ride!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Batman Returns is perhaps bad in a traditional Batman sense but simply taken as a film in its own right, it's a wonderful and deeply strange and beautiful experience. The story of Moses, if he were a hideously deformed bird-man, stopped from inflicting righteous justice on the rich and decadent elite (by murdering their children with toxic waste and rocket penguins) only to be stopped by an even bigger lunatic, all the while we hit Peak Chris Walken.

Plus that shot & music cue where the camera switches from the detonator to Batman's glowering eyes fixating on an immediately confused and terrified Oswald is literally my favourite ever.

Teenage Fansub posted:

is murdering a gang of goth circus performers really murdering?

First they came for the mimes, and I said nothing for I was not a mime.
Then they came for the goth circus performers...

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Holy poo poo! Finally started on the Morrison run and I'm maybe 20 pages into "batman and son" and it's some of the most riveting poo poo I've ever read of batman. Damian is one bad mean pissed off little poo poo. He's loving Joffrey as a ninja. This is gonna be one hell of a ride!

I wish I could read his run for the first time again. So much good stuff.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

Good on you. Happy reading!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
What's the general opinion on the animated adaptations of that whole storyline? I saw that it had been added recently to Netflix.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Don't watch it.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

PantsOptional posted:

What's the general opinion on the animated adaptations of that whole storyline? I saw that it had been added recently to Netflix.
It's not very good. There are a couple good scenes, but on the all its fairly below average and only follows the comic storyline in spirit.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

chaosapiant posted:

Welcome to the greatest Batman run of all time.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PantsOptional posted:

All trash.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

chaosapiant posted:

Please post your reactions every couple issues. It's like watching your favorite movie with someone who's seeing it for the first time. Wait until Damian--, and Batman--, and issue 666!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I just started a rereading of Morrison's run today too. I'm always reminded of how much I love the panel where Damian says in awe "you have a rocket" and Bruce responds "I have a lot of stuff nobody knows about."

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

PantsOptional posted:

It sucks. There are better DC cartoons to watch.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Madkal posted:

It sucks. There are better DC cartoons to watch.

Like Red Hood.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Glad to see my instinct was correct, then. Thanks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I have heard that the sequels are much better

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Bad Blood was awful because it totally screwed up Kate's reason for donning the Bat-symbol. :argh:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

bobkatt013 posted:

I have heard that the sequels are much better
Not really. Batman vs Robin was even worse than Son of Batman. Bad Blood was pretty decent, but somehow Talia is even worse in this movie character-wise than she is in Morrison's run. That is an amazing feat to behold considering what he did to her. Dickbats is pretty amazing though and they didn't ruin Kate Kane either.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

lotus circle posted:

Dickbats is pretty amazing though and they didn't ruin Kate Kane either.

They did their best, though!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Travis343 posted:

I just started a rereading of Morrison's run today too. I'm always reminded of how much I love the panel where Damian says in awe "you have a rocket" and Bruce responds "I have a lot of stuff nobody knows about."

I was just thinking about that while reading the latest issue of Amazing Spider-Man.

"I know everything about you, father."
"Hh. You didn't know about the rocket."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Travis343 posted:

That's the moment at which I knew Morrison's Batman had become "my" Batman.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

As I'm reading thru Batman and Son the thing that's grabbing me the most is that Bruce/Batman actually has a personality. It's both jarring and awesome at the same time. I can't get enough of this, and I LOVE synder's stuff but this is another level!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

As I'm reading thru Batman and Son the thing that's grabbing me the most is that Bruce/Batman actually has a personality. It's both jarring and awesome at the same time. I can't get enough of this, and I LOVE synder's stuff but this is another level!
Do you have all the later B&R/Batman Inc/Final Crisis/etc stuff ready to go?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Oh man. You're in for a treat!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Where is the "backup personality" stuff? Is that in the Black Glove storyline?

Also is this reading order legit in your esteemed opinions?
http://comicsastonish.com/2012/01/04/a-readers-guide-to-grant-morrisons-batman/

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

fuf posted:

Yeah that's in Batman: RIP which I just read this morning!

Going to get to Final Crisis sometime this weekend.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dexie posted:

Bad Blood was awful because it totally screwed up Kate's reason for donning the Bat-symbol. :argh:

I also don't really like that they felt they had to kill ALL of the villains.

Pinguin, Black Mask and Blockbuster were the only surviving villains and they just made cameos at the start and end, while they horribly murdered all the other villains who had roles for no real reason.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

MonsterEnvy posted:

I also don't really like that they felt they had to kill ALL of the villains.

Pinguin, Black Mask and Blockbuster were the only surviving villains and they just made cameos at the start and end, while they horribly murdered all the other villains who had roles for no real reason.

Wait, 'they' as in the Batfamily? What the gently caress?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

fuf posted:

It comes to a head in RIP, but it's built up in the previous trade too.

quote:

It's one option.

The are two messy points: the stuff around Final Crisis, and how B&R and Return of Bruce Wayne interleave. Final Crisis is important for Batman (and Batman is important for Final Crisis), but he's not really on screen for very long, and it's a pretty huge tangent if you're reading it just for him. Either read it after RIP, or skip it and just read the Batman issues and be prepared to fill in the gaps. Either way there's still a bit of a leap between the end of Final Crisis and the start of B&R, since how Dick becomes Batman isn't covered.

B&R and RoBW are meant to be read at the same time, but it's a pain to do in trade and isn't strictly necessary until near the end (RoBW #6 and B&R #15). So my reading order suggestion looks like this, with optional titles in brackets

(Black Casebook)
Batman and Son
Batman vs the Black Glove (assuming it's not included in the above)
Batman RIP
(Final Crisis)
Last Rites (included in both of the above)

Batman & Robin 1
Time and the Batman
Batman & Robin 2
Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman & Robin 3

Batman Inc.
Batman Inc. 1 (N52 version)
Batman Inc. 2 (N52 version)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Return of Bruce Wayyne is better off after the end of Batman and Robin. RoBW works better when it's not breaking up the flow of B&R, and feels more like explaining the universes most elaborate magic trick.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd go in publishing order, but that's how I read it when it was coming out.

I remember Batman and Robin tying in well at the start of the Batman Vs Robin arc when Alfred is showing Dick and Damian portraits of Wayne ancestors or something.
Wasn't there also some Barbatos stuff there too?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 13, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Wasn't there also some Barbatos stuff there too?
Yeah, the second B&R trade has the secret history of Wayne Major, with the portraits, secret rooms and Barbatos etc, along with them finding the stone age tribal relics.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It comes to a head in RIP, but it's built up in the previous trade too.

It's one option.

The are two messy points: the stuff around Final Crisis, and how B&R and Return of Bruce Wayne interleave. Final Crisis is important for Batman (and Batman is important for Final Crisis), but he's not really on screen for very long, and it's a pretty huge tangent if you're reading it just for him. Either read it after RIP, or skip it and just read the Batman issues and be prepared to fill in the gaps. Either way there's still a bit of a leap between the end of Final Crisis and the start of B&R, since how Dick becomes Batman isn't covered.

B&R and RoBW are meant to be read at the same time, but it's a pain to do in trade and isn't strictly necessary until near the end (RoBW #6 and B&R #15). So my reading order suggestion looks like this, with optional titles in brackets

(Black Casebook)
Batman and Son
Batman vs the Black Glove (assuming it's not included in the above)
Batman RIP
(Final Crisis)
Last Rites (included in both of the above)

Batman & Robin 1
Time and the Batman
Batman & Robin 2
Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman & Robin 3

Batman Inc.
Batman Inc. 1 (N52 version)
Batman Inc. 2 (N52 version)

Thanks! :)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wait, 'they' as in the Batfamily? What the gently caress?

They as in the creators of the movie. However the Batfamily was heavily involved in the deaths of the villains during the movie. Every single one is dispatched due to an accident or ineptitude on the hero’s part.

Tusk, Firefly and Mad Hatter stand out for me. Tusk gets dropped into one of the Watchtowers turbines by Damian, who tries but utterly fails to save him. Firefly meanwhile gets his Jetpack damaged in the fighting and it causes him to fly into an engine shaft. Mad Hatter has his mind control device overloaded while it's attached to his head and it causes his head to explode.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 14, 2016

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

fuf posted:

When I read through it I used the image here:

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/dr__maxwell/blog/morrison-batman-reading-order/54180/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

http://www.newsarama.com/28436-the-dark-knight-is-back-in-batman-50-preview.html
Batman #50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Does Commissioner Gordon have the same hairstyle as the Joker now? At first I thought that was supposed to be him, but with differently colored hair.

• Locked thread