Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

corn in the bible posted:

"protestant" is a really broad term and there's no HEAD OF PROTESTANTISM like there is for catholicism so its hard to condemn it as a whole. it's pretty easy to say the popes hosed up tho

I think you'll find the head of protestantism is Her Majesty Queen Eli-hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Although the Anglican communion is pretty good imo these days, if waning in importance.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the abrahamic religions are all real bad

religion is a crutch for cowards and retards

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Disinterested posted:

A lot of the non-abrahamic ones too.

im fairly certain of this but lacking enough firsthand experience i cannot in confidence state it

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

im fairly certain of this but lacking enough firsthand experience i cannot in confidence state it

Hinduism has done a ton of pernicious poo poo in India in various forms, and both Shintoism and Buddhism in Japan haven't exactly covered themselves in glory, although I think Zen Buddhism is a v. rich intellectual field.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

religion is a crutch for cowards and retards

Making fun of religious people is a crutch for shut ins and virgins.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

yeah i remember when the leaders of lutheranism covered up a century of child rape and literally sold children for money while torturing their mothers until they died

me too.

although to be fair the catholics got in on the action in canada

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Jains are good people

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Disinterested posted:

Hinduism has done a ton of pernicious poo poo in India in various forms, and both Shintoism and Buddhism in Japan haven't exactly covered themselves in glory, although I think Zen Buddhism is a v. rich intellectual field.

yeah i know, but i cannot give you details of any kind short of the caste system sucking, hindu/sikh violence and other general asshattery but i do not have the same level of experience as with western stuff

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Jains are good people

They're good people but I hate total pacifism as it's just a licence to let all sorts of awful poo poo run riot in the world for the sake of asceticism.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah i know, but i cannot give you details of any kind short of the caste system sucking, hindu/sikh violence and other general asshattery but i do not have the same level of experience as with western stuff

Dreylad posted:

western buddhism is a loving joke, at the very least

For Buddhism in Japan I recommend, as I do to everyone, Zen At War. Basically Zen Buddhism was afraid of becoming irrelevant with the Meiji restoration in Japan and became a full-scale state militarist religion.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Disinterested posted:

A lot of the non-abrahamic ones too.

western buddhism is a loving joke, at the very least

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Disinterested posted:

reminder that sam harris thinks buddhism is a peaceful religion of the inscrutable oriental

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Disinterested posted:

They're good people but I hate total pacifism as it's just a licence to let all sorts of awful poo poo run riot in the world for the sake of asceticism.

Same.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

reminder that sam harris thinks buddhism is a peaceful religion of the inscrutable oriental

I think you may be overstating it, but he definitely thinks it's more moral, correct and interesting than Christianity, and I think that has a shot at being possibly true.

But maybe there's a quote I missed.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Badger of Basra posted:

BuddhistFlexinAtRohingyaWithAPistol.jpg

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
all these buddhists looking towards steve jobs and nodding deferentially towards this Enlightened Buddhist after he died was just the worst

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

ive met many christians, muslims, and jews with really loving atrocious opinions informed by their religion. I have not met any buddhists that are terrible in the same way. Smug, elitist, insufferable, yeah, but i've never seen one claim gays should be killed or that israel is the promised land so the palestinians can just go die

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

WoodrowSkillson posted:

ive met many christians, muslims, and jews with really loving atrocious opinions informed by their religion. I have not met any buddhists that are terrible in the same way. Smug, elitist, insufferable, yeah, but i've never seen one claim gays should be killed or that israel is the promised land so the palestinians can just go die

Sounds like somebody needs to visit Myanmar.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Badger of Basra posted:

controversial opinion: catholicism is better than protestantism

catholic workers are great people

one of them taught me how to dumpster dive

he knew how because he has 10 children because he believes church doctrine about condoms

also he's irish

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Because Buddhism is related to hippyism in the west. In Japan under the clique however:

quote:

[If ordered to] march: tramp, tramp, or shoot: bang, bang. This is the manifestation of the highest Wisdom [of Enlightenment]. The unity of Zen and war of which I speak extends to the farthest reaches of the holy war [now under way].

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

there's a minnie driver lookalike at this meeting about the land development code rewrite

know the name, but can't recall a face. subbing in minnie pearl.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

is it ethnocentric that people are distinguishing between catholics and protestants but not between different branches of buddhism

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Disinterested posted:

Because Buddhism is related to hippyism in the west. In Japan under the clique however:

yeah there's some weird buddhism in japan.

but there's also the normal peaceful don't harm any living thing type

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

LorrdErnie posted:

is it ethnocentric that people are distinguishing between catholics and protestants but not between different branches of buddhism

We're distinguishing between jains, Buddhists, and Hindus. That's about the level that the protestant, orthodox, Catholic split is.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

if i was a lady i feel militant radfeminist catholic bordering on heresy would be my gimmick

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

LorrdErnie posted:

Yes, though I think you overestimate how much Americans understand about different varieties of Christianity

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

LorrdErnie posted:

I explicitly separated Zen Buddhism out earlier.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

UberJew posted:

qualia don't exist

get a load of Daniel Dennett over here

why don't you go hang out with your chum dick dawkins, you could be the DDDD-team

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Berke Negri posted:

if i was a lady i feel militant radfeminist catholic bordering on heresy would be my gimmick

Which kind of heresy?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

LorrdErnie posted:

I do not distinguish between the various branches and vehicles of Buddhim because I respect your American religion of not knowing such details anyway too much. :colbert:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Sinnlos posted:

Which kind of heresy?

collyridianism

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Also, the only relevant Buddhim for the West is the Ironically Diamond Covered Vehicle (Hipstayrana) in which nerds and alternative medicine scum enter to hopefully crush into a German stahlspikentree. :colbert:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

sudo rm -rf posted:

whats the most controversial thing you believe

this is the zoux test

i'm not morally better than anyone else

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sinnlos posted:

Yes, though I think you overestimate how much Americans understand about different varieties of Christianity

one has a dude with a silly hat, the others lack silly hats and are thus inferior

problem solved

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Disinterested posted:

I explicitly separated Zen Buddhism out earlier.

i didnt read that post so it doesnt count :colbert:

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Conversation recap: People suck and you can find bad apples in every religion (and also good apples)?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

also badger you'll note that i did not go for the bait and call uberjew an epistemological zombie despite that being an actual established philosophical term

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Randler posted:

I do not distinguish between the various branches and vehicles of Buddhim because I respect your American religion of not knowing such details anyway too much. :colbert:

god bless ya :911:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Amergin posted:

Conversation recap: People suck and you can find bad apples (and also good apples)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Randler posted:

Also, the only relevant Buddhim for the West is the Ironically Diamond Covered Vehicle (Hipstayrana) in which nerds and alternative medicine scum enter to hopefully crush into a German stahlspikentree. :colbert:

is that last word another way to refer to a czech hedgehog (Tschechenigel i guess) because if not i'm confused

• Locked thread