Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Real bummer. Hope he can have a thoughtful enough apology. But i got hope for him (famous last words right?) Ive been here since 08' and the poo poo people used to post here back then including myself? Sheesh...yikes...ugh. Being 30 now and looking back on it? I wanna say i grew past that and understand things better but still. Hot garbage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

more falafel please posted:

When was this vine? Was it another thing from his teens?

2013 from what I've seen.

Colonel Whitey posted:

They're two kind of separate but kind of related issues. Andy's pain at hearing his colleague say a slur, no matter how long ago, can't just be ignored.

Whilst it doesn't excuse his actions I think you have to consider that people do mature and can improve. It would be silly to completely discount someone because of something they did or said nearly a decade ago unless there is a continued pattern of those actions.

Delany might be a prick, or he might just have made some dumb choices without realising the effect they could have. Hopefully, it's the latter.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Raikiri posted:

2013 from what I've seen.

Whilst it doesn't excuse his actions I think you have to consider that people do mature and can improve. It would be silly to completely discount someone because of something they did or said nearly a decade ago unless there is a continued pattern of those actions.

Delany might be a prick, or he might just have made some dumb choices without realising the effect they could have. Hopefully, it's the latter.

I agree and I'm not advocating canceling him, I just don't think people should be saying that he shouldn't be called out about it right now because there are "more important" things going on or whatever. Should he be publicly dragged over it? I don't know, but at least one of his coworkers is hurt by it and felt the need to post publicly about it.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Yeah, Delaney is 27.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

rick martinez went off on one of his instagram stories, and it's uhh something

https://www.instagram.com/stories/rick_andrew_martinez/2328729033033204362/?hl=en

an excerpt:

quote:

Today @mattduckor called me. I thought we were going to talk about fair pay and a contract. Instead he apologized for his racist and homophobic remarks on twitter. I asked him if, in the future, his children used that language, what would he do. The first thing he said was "be supportive like my parents have been to me." WRONG ANSWER.

You teach them that it is WRONG AND HURTFUL and that you NEVER USE THOSE WORDS.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Yeah seems about right for white people

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
"Be supportive to my racist homophobic children" these people suck at tests

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The gently caress does that even mean? You'll be supportive? You fuckin shut that down the second you hear it. Even my 5 year old knows that's a non-starter in this house.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
lol how do these people still not have a clue

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

lol how do these people still not have a clue

White ppl don't have to think about what their words actually mean for the majority of their lives.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Colonel Whitey posted:

I agree and I'm not advocating canceling him, I just don't think people should be saying that he shouldn't be called out about it right now because there are "more important" things going on or whatever. Should he be publicly dragged over it? I don't know, but at least one of his coworkers is hurt by it and felt the need to post publicly about it.

I'm kinda ehhh on the whole "digging through 10 years of posts to find incriminating poo poo" but straight up using slurs is kinda one of those things that has no statute of limitations in my book because you should loving know better. Either way, if you're literally a personality with a social media presence and you have problematic tweets/vines/tumblr posts/whatever you should be dragged if not just for being a problematic person but just for being a loving idiot and not scrubbing literally everything when you started that job

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

And Matt Duckor is out.

https://www.businessinsider.com/conde-nast-matt-duckor-leaves-company-backlash-diversity-2020-6

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Given the last 4 years, I'm honestly surprised things are moving as quickly as they are at BA. There's been no doubling down by people that weren't removed within a day of it all coming out.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
It's because all of these mid and senior level managers have nothing to do when working from home unable to pretend they're busy.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Well Im glad the weirdo is out, this tweet

quote:

"There either is a cat on my flight, meowing repeatedly a few rows behind me, or a REALLY horny woman," Katzeff wrote in a 2014 tweet, which has since been deleted.

Being offensive enough to delete is so odd. Huhh horny women sound like cats? Who's offended by this?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

droll posted:

It's because all of these mid and senior level managers have nothing to do when working from home unable to pretend they're busy.

They also turned all the mid-level staff into the face of the company. Unlike a lot of situations like this, the chef's have substantial leverage.

Also:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1270888855038656517

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 11, 2020

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Casu Marzu posted:

White ppl don't have to think about what their words actually mean for the majority of their lives.

This is so true. I still gently caress up all the time. Usually when drunk but that's not actually an excuse.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

The World Inferno posted:

They also turned all the mid-level staff into the face of the company. Unlike a lot of situations like this, the chef's have substantial leverage.

Also:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1270888855038656517

I still want to see what kind of magic she was trying to turn brownies into licorice

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Glumslinger posted:

I still want to see what kind of magic she was trying to turn brownies into licorice

I'll bet it came out amazing but because she's by far her own toughest critic, she probably nixed the idea.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Glumslinger posted:

One of the first ingredients in licorice is flour, no? You'd go from there, and see what happened. It sounds legit.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

dino. posted:

One of the first ingredients in licorice is flour, no? You'd go from there, and see what happened. It sounds legit.

yeah it's what keeps it from being a gummy bear

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

This is the least surprising thing I've ever heard.

This was magical, especially the end.

Glad to see they seem to be cleaning house real fast? Though it would be nice to actually see some money hitting Gaby/Sohla/Rick/etc. instead of just musical chairs up top.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Brad still ok? :ohdear: It's Alive is my favorite show of theirs, especially when him and Matty went noodlin' with a trolling redneck

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Bon appetit may be the ultimate milkshake duck

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Delaney is the same age as me, I can imagine being younger me, talking to younger him, and still thinking he was an rear end in a top hat.

Edited this post after I saw the video in question. He uses the slur as part of a dumb pun. That makes it a little more believable for a young person to do, but I would still chastise them.

xtal fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 12, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Veskit posted:

Bon appetit may be the ultimate milkshake duck

Today on BA's best we make the Perfect Milkshake!

Vvv: OK well if they reused the joke I can too.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Veskit posted:

Hi I'm Claire from the Bon Appetit Test Kitchen and today we'll be making.....the ultimate milkshake duck

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

xtal posted:

Delaney is the same age as me, I can imagine being younger me, talking to younger him, and still thinking he was an rear end in a top hat.

Edited this post after I saw the video in question. He uses the slur as part of a dumb pun. That makes it a little more believable for a young person to do, but I would still chastise them.

Yeah, it's a really stupid "edgy" joke that even at the age Delany was when he made the joke I would've thought was tasteless.

Randaconda posted:

Is Brad still ok? :ohdear: It's Alive is my favorite show of theirs, especially when him and Matty went noodlin' with a trolling redneck

He hasn't gotten called out like a lot of other people. I think he's part of the group of white video personalities with contracts whose privilege let them not notice/not act on the disparity between how they and the BIPOC staff were being treated, but it doesn't seem like he was as active in maintaining the toxic culture as, say, Carla was when she was in charge. It might have to do with the fact that he started at BA as essentially a test kitchen dishwasher and worked his way up to Gaby's current job (test kitchen manager) before he and Vinny almost accidentally jumpstarted BA's video empire, so he might have been better at being at least a less toxic manager.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 12, 2020

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I don't even get why Delany gets to be on camera, he's just a glorified graphic designer with no food experience. Seems like he just pushed his way on camera with how often he's just wandering around the TK trying to get into other people's videos. The dude has two shows and probably gets paid twice as much as Sohla considering his salary and video contract.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-delany-50905789

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't Delaney the drinks editor? I mean, I see him making people cocktails all the time and I can see why booze would be in a food magazine. Gotta have yo booze.

Anyway, are we really mad at any of the chefs? Or mad at the higher ups. I guess carla has some 'splainin to do with her former work as the manager but she seemed to address that in her insta story/social media (whether the public accepts her reasoning is on them). The obvious here is that work culture (especially corporate work culture) is inherently toxic. You want to move up, but never really realize who is getting stepped over for you to get there. Then you just accept that's, "Just the way it is" and never question anything about it. That's bad already. Worse would be doing all that and KNOWING 100% what you're doing to get where you are.

Brad n Matty 2021 lets gett noodlin bois!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

It's hard to be mad at Brad. Him and Vinnie kinda kicked off the whole thing, and it was a dumb idea on paper a loving fermentation show with a guy who can barely form a full sentence? There's no way that shoulda worked.

But I mean, if you're at the point where you're a chris morocco and you get your own show from a concept that was clearly work shopped in the back to use his super secret powers while literally nobody of color has a show, then yeah it's easy to be mad. It's easy to be mad if you're making Kim chi, or loving MAKING A SOUP DUMPLING or you can go on and on and on that something shoulda been done.

Yes we can be mad at white people for standing on our backs and shining, and not considering that they didn't leave any room for loving made for TV and white people star Priya to have her own dumb cooking show where she calls her dad every week to get the scoop on how she used to eat.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I guess carla has some 'splainin to do with her former work as the manager but she seemed to address that in her insta story/social media (whether the public accepts her reasoning is on them).

https://twitter.com/lallimusic/status/1270871639052386304

Here's the 'splainin thread.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I didn't even see what Carla did but sending out emails based off race is mega lol

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

speaking of brad, he made a new post on instagram on about the situation. nothing shocking, just solidarity mostly.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBV__1KhYi3/?igshid=1lgl21umt2qa7

edit:

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Isn't Delaney the drinks editor? I mean, I see him making people cocktails all the time and I can see why booze would be in a food magazine. Gotta have yo booze.

a freelance cocktail writer for the magazine made a post on instagram about delany, mostly about the homophobic social media in the past, but also implying that he wasn't really qualified for the job.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBTdH7uDwew/

it does make sense, considering I don't think he has any bartending experience, and he doesn't seem to have any culinary experience. he graduated from an elite school in new jersey, interned at BA, was a graphic designer, and somehow becomes the main drinks editor and have at least 2 shows with Conde Nast Entertainment. I don't think there's a smoking gun out there with proof that he got his role because of being a privileged young white man who went to a good school on the east coast, but it would definitely fit with everything else going on.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 12, 2020

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

This is a great point.

https://twitter.com/Lemon_jupiter/status/1270880456431603717?s=19

At the same time, a big part of the charm of the BATK is people wandering in and providing help or opinions. I question why she would send that email in the first place, much less to the POC staff individually. But it's tremendously lovely that Delaney got rewarded for going against this directive.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Everyone seems to like Delaney though to the point where they're willing to give him a crash course reform school on how not to say bad things. You'd be amazed how far charisma gets you in environments like that even when it's not merited.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

piratepilates posted:

I don't think there's a smoking gun out there with proof that he got his role because of being a privileged young white man who went to a good school on the east coast

There is literally no other explanation for it

E: I don't say that to mean he's a bad person because of it, he's just the beneficiary of racism like the other white BA staff. He's just the most egregious because of his lack of qualification

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Veskit posted:

Everyone seems to like Delaney though to the point where they're willing to give him a crash course reform school on how not to say bad things. You'd be amazed how far charisma gets you in environments like that even when it's not merited.

But don't people like Sohla too? I was watching that Andes Mints episode last night and she fuckin steps in and does the whole chocolate tempering for Chris and Brad when they gently caress it up, and they're all talking about how she should be hosting Gourmet Makes with Claire. It's not likeability or charisma or even cooking aptitude, it's straight up whiteness that gives Delaney a pass.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

But don't people like Sohla too? I was watching that Andes Mints episode last night and she fuckin steps in and does the whole chocolate tempering for Chris and Brad when they gently caress it up, and they're all talking about how she should be hosting Gourmet Makes with Claire. It's not likeability or charisma or even cooking aptitude, it's straight up whiteness that gives Delaney a pass.

Yeah so if Sohla did a lovely thing I'm sure everyone would come to her rescue and help her out. Nobody liked Adam Rap so the moment he came out in brown face was the moment everyone went after him. I'm just saying there's many layers to racism, and in the case of Delaney he's a nice guy who seems redeemable so people will probably try to reform and redeem him first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

At the same time, a big part of the charm of the BATK is people wandering in and providing help or opinions. I question why she would send that email in the first place, much less to the POC staff individually. But it's tremendously lovely that Delaney got rewarded for going against this directive.

In some videos you can tell the person hosting getting annoyed by people doing things in the background. Usually it's just someone else working in the test kitchen doing something noisy, but I can imagine it being an issue when they really ramped up the importance of their video side, and suddenly video shoots are going on longer and more takes are needed because of extra people in the test kitchen.

I can see Carla needing to send that email at some point either because of complaints from other people or just issues with shoots. That being said, sending it to people individually and saying "your name came up specifically" were poor choices, but as far as I can tell the email didn't seem to be about race.

That that being said, the fact that Delany also got it and ignored it (a former writer for BA, the Korean-American adopted woman, said she got that email, went to the bathroom to cry about it, asked other people if they got it, Delany said he got it, but also wasn't worried about it), and his persistence seems to have paid off in the form of 2 different CNE shows -- that's suspicious.

edit: another note, I think this email had to have happened some time past a year or so. Carla has only been a contributing writer recently while she was writing her book, I don't think she's had a managerial role in a number of months (possibly upwards of a year). In terms of people dropping by to the test kitchen in videos within the last year, I think her role was with Chris Morocco for the last year or so, and not her.

edit: actually here's a question I have. Has anyone here watched and liked Delany's shows? I ALWAYS took a pass from them because they didn't really interest me, I don't want to see some guy eat all of the poutine in Marin County or whatever, and I saw a bit of the "eat everything at this restaurant" and wasn't really feeling it either. They were the only BA videos I always took a pass on. Does anyone here watch them?

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 12, 2020