Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ili
Jul 26, 2003

Bulldogs absolutely deserve the spoon. There are no excuses for how badly they're going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Please don't let the Adam Blair to Warriors for four loving years rumours be true, Newcastle can have him and we'll take James Graham please and thank you.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Resident Idiot posted:

It's a shame it'll give the Tigers the spoon, though, since I kinda feel the Bulldogs deserve it.

I'm optimistic that it may not, since the knights don't exactly have a good run home...

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

Please don't let the Adam Blair to Warriors for four loving years rumours be true, Newcastle can have him and we'll take James Graham please and thank you.
Warriors offering over a million a season to a guy the broncs are only willing to spend 300,000 on, pretty crazy

you guys might be lucky because I don't think his missus wants to move to NZ

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

I'm optimistic that it may not, since the knights don't exactly have a good run home...
Yeah we have Melbourne, a desperate Canberra and the Sharks. Pretty brutal.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ili posted:

Bulldogs absolutely deserve the spoon. There are no excuses for how badly they're going.
I agree

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

bowmore posted:

Warriors offering over a million a season to a guy the broncs are only willing to spend 300,000 on, pretty crazy

you guys might be lucky because I don't think his missus wants to move to NZ

Everything I'm hearing is $600k per, I refuse to believe anybody is dumb enough to give 4 mil over 4 years to 32 year old Adam Blair.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Smorgasbord posted:

Everything I'm hearing is $600k per, I refuse to believe anybody is dumb enough to give 4 mil over 4 years to 32 year old Adam Blair.

The dollars aren't too bad, but four years is dumb. I completely agree that James Graham is the one we should be going for (assuming that he's available).

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

James Graham is a absolute workhorse but this season and last his body has started giving out. Maybe he'd be good still when he's out injured as a role model for the younger players. Don't know why he'd want to go warriors though even after the ratshit season Canterbury had.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Graham's neck is hosed though isn't it?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4850205/knights-dinner-snub-food-for-thought/?cs=306

"A host of influential officials from clubs such as the Roosters, Cronulla, Canterbury, Penrith, Canberra and Parramatta have been invited to a Sydney restaurant on Monday – along with NRL CEO Todd Greenberg – at which the main fare will be trying to convince the governing body to increase the cap"

gently caress that is scummy

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

Yeah we have Melbourne, a desperate Canberra and the Sharks. Pretty brutal.

If you can win those I'll happily watch us take the spoon from you. That'll be an impressive achievement.

Although we'll probably lose all our remaining games so maybe it'll just come down to who gets flogged by more.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

If you can win those I'll happily watch us take the spoon from you. That'll be an impressive achievement.

Although we'll probably lose all our remaining games so maybe it'll just come down to who gets flogged by more.
What I'd honesty prefer is for both the Knights and Tigers to win all remaining games and the Dogs to lose all remaining games resulting in them getting the spoon.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Comedy option(S)

Warriors or titans?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

bowmore posted:

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4850205/knights-dinner-snub-food-for-thought/?cs=306

"A host of influential officials from clubs such as the Roosters, Cronulla, Canterbury, Penrith, Canberra and Parramatta have been invited to a Sydney restaurant on Monday – along with NRL CEO Todd Greenberg – at which the main fare will be trying to convince the governing body to increase the cap"

gently caress that is scummy

"Wah wah wah we massively overspent the indicative cap to get all the players we want , bail us out so the sensible clubs can't get a benefit from our stupidity"

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

"Wah wah wah we massively overspent the indicative cap to get all the players we want , bail us out so the sensible clubs can't get a benefit from our stupidity"
exactly

they got an email from the NRL 10-11 months ago saying that clubs should work off a cap of $9.2 million until the final figure is in place, but they went and overspent anyway, gently caress em

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I'm sure the NRL will have strong backbone and not cave in to the rich clubs

God I felt dirty typing that

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
They need to just get rid of the cap, but make all player payments transparent and rank the teams at the start of the season from 1-16, lowest total paid to highest paid, and that's how many points in arrears the team is at Round 1. Done.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I like that plan

Also maybe the titans will get the spoon, they are horrific at the moment

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Titans vs dogs in a fortnight might end up being spoonbowl.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Every loving week the refs have been getting worse, today I've seen at least four calls where they've just literally made up penalties or errors whole cloth.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

It feels dirty but come on the Storm.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

It's never dirty to root against the Roosters.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I could just hope for the earth to open up and swallow both teams whole.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

We could be so lucky.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Storm should win the premiership this year just to get it over and done with

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Could a meteor take out them and stadium Australia at the same time, please?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Warea-Hargreaves is a oval office. That was straight dirty and dangerous.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

That's been the theme of this whole game.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Why did Fox wait so long to bring Hughes in? He runs rings around 95% of the chucklefucks they've had on commentary this year.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

Why did Fox wait so long to bring Hughes in? He runs rings around 95% of the chucklefucks they've had on commentary this year.

As an added bonus, he apparently got Ray Hadley all turnt up by suggesting Vossy should be successor to Ray Warren

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Anything that causes Hadley to gently caress off and die is good with me

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Smorgasbord posted:

As an added bonus, he apparently got Ray Hadley all turnt up by suggesting Vossy should be successor to Ray Warren

I can't love this man enough.

Cracker of match this Panfers vs Cows.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yay Benji is back! Now my constant daydreaming of 05 is almost reality again!

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah I saw that. If he goes back with his current attitude and plays a similar role in the team it should work out well. Best of luck to him.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Looks like the Warriors will be sold.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11903249

And really, it's another season, another post-mortem.

Fairfax has an article looking at it, but it's really 3-fold:
1. A lovely team culture, where you have the senior players who should be setting an example for the young ones acting like entitled fuckwits (case in point Manu Vatuvei getting dropped after dabbling with prescription meds, and then acting like a victim over his suspension. gently caress off, you're old enough to know better, you loving idiot).
2. A poo poo forward pack.
3. Poor recruitment, focusing largely on the backs rather than the forwards.

I'm not going to point any fingers at the coaches, because that's happened before, and with the same result. The common denominator is the players, who are the ones loving up on and off the field.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/95706038/where-it-went-wrong-for-the-warriors-and-where-to-from-here

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

I'm not going to point any fingers at the coaches, because that's happened before, and with the same result. The common denominator is the players, who are the ones loving up on and off the field.

I'm more than happy to point the finger at Kearney. We started the season with what everyone thought was an obvious top 8 squad. We weren't seriously hit by injuries until late in the season, so in terms of available personnel he has no excuse. Off the top of my head, here are some of Kearney's bigger gently caress ups this year:

Interchange- I've lost count of the number of games in which Roache (or someone else) spent 80 minutes on the bench. If Kearney had no intention of playing him, having an extra prop available would have been a much better option, and would have been appreciated by our exhausted forwards.

Lolohea- he sure as gently caress would have been a better option in the halves than the Lino/Hingano turd sandwich than we're trotting out today, and he would have been better on the wing than Maumalo. Speaking of which...

Maumalo- on track to be the biggest pussy in the club's history. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. Carts the ball up like he's scared of getting an ouchie in the tackle. May have worse hands than Manu. He at least has learned that art of padding his stats from LIllyman by going for volume over effectiveness.

Accountability- this is the big one. Starting with the capitulation against he Panthers, Kearney pretty much goes out of his way to avoid making changes to the team no matter how obvious it is that we need a kick up the butt. This reached new levels in the past week. After Saturday's inexcusable performance against the Knights, Kearney threatened to "walk out the gae" underperforming players. So what happens on Tuesday? He names the exact same 17, with the only change being Luke coming off the interchange bench. Yeah, that'll show them.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

Lolohea- he sure as gently caress would have been a better option in the halves than the Lino/Hingano turd sandwich than we're trotting out today, and he would have been better on the wing than Maumalo. Speaking of which...

Yeah he's been pretty good in the halves for us :D

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

Yeah he's been pretty good in the halves for us :D

I'm glad to see him get the opportunity. For some reason he never had a chance with us, McFadden hated him too last year. Or maybe it's just that our fuckwit coaches can't recognise talent when it's right in front of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

I'm glad to see him get the opportunity. For some reason he never had a chance with us, McFadden hated him too last year. Or maybe it's just that our fuckwit coaches can't recognise talent when it's right in front of them.

One of those sounds more likely....

• Locked thread