Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

CainFortea posted:

If PL can't adjust to the meta of "you actually have to be in your space to make money off of it", perhaps you can name a group that was able to adjust to this meta and thus is in a better position than PL?

It's a hard pill to swallow when you spent half a decade doing the complete opposite.

Also- your weird assumption that PL dudes didn't krab their faces off is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

Wait ganging up with Horde to kill PL? Isn't Horde "Pandemic Horde"? Is PL now hostile to their own pubic feeder group?

:psyduck:

not really, but gobbins being gobbins is hard to work with (or so ive overheard)

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

I mean no thanks. If there was one thing I hated was the "giggle kiss slap slap we're still friends right?" poo poo the directors had going on with PL for like 4 years straight. Like uh yo, they are on the opposite side from us for literally everything ever, sure give eachother broblows at eve vegas but can we maybe we stop handing out "Get out of jail free" cards every time we even slightly get them on the ropes knowing drat good and well it will never be reciprocated?

Every time we did that "They are neutral but we're not shooting them because reasons" poo poo I went out of my way to murder someone from PL, and I didn't feel bad about that at all.

Like if I had the option to team up with PL to kill Horde or team up with Horde to kill PL, it would be a rather easy decision.

the co-op to push AAA out of delve was fun

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Xolve posted:

It's a hard pill to swallow when you spent half a decade doing the complete opposite.

Also- your weird assumption that PL dudes didn't krab their faces off is hilarious.

I was more talking about alliance funding. And I wasn't saying it wasn't a hard pill to swallow. I was just giving poo poo to dragonshartz.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

I agree: Rorquals probably are a bit OP atm.

I agree. Something that is so easy to multibox shouldn't be generating the amount of wealth that they do. Ratting in a (super)carrier requires fighter micro, but Rorquals are 'press butan, receive ore'

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Philonius posted:

I agree. Something that is so easy to multibox shouldn't be generating the amount of wealth that they do. Ratting in a (super)carrier requires fighter micro, but Rorquals are 'press butan, receive ore'

I agree buff super ratting payouts.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

counterpoint: rorquals are cool and good

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Really they should double bounty payments in all anoms to keep pace with rorqs and even out the risk / reward.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol when i was in pl our main workhorse were long range hacs in small gangs what happened to eve? is boring slowass tidi supercap fights really where all the fun is now?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Truga posted:

lol when i was in pl our main workhorse were long range hacs in small gangs what happened to eve? is boring slowass tidi supercap fights really where all the fun is now?

we mine our own titans so they're free and use em to AOE cone doomsday those very small gangs

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmao

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I made an alt on another account. Does that make sense or should I have put it on the same account as my main?

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

SardonicTyrant posted:

I made an alt on another account. Does that make sense or should I have put it on the same account as my main?

It makes sense, since you can't be on two characters of the same account at once , and there are numerous reasons to be logged in simultaneously. Like rorq mining with your alt while in a boring fleet.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

we mine our own titans so they're free and use em to AOE cone doomsday those very small gangs

when memes become reality

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

smertrioslol posted:

Like rorq mining with your alt while in a boring fleet.

so you would be on two boring fleets then

you see "boring" can also mean "to drill a hole in something" and furthermore,

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

so you would be on two boring fleets then

you see "boring" can also mean "to drill a hole in something" and furthermore,

:frogon:

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

He said that too once. Twice. No wait...

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

froody guy posted:

He said that too once. Twice. No wait...

They actually cracked down on carving up the game windows like that, along with input broadcasting. Both are now against the TOS.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I forget which interview I read, but it did mention that Hilmar is "contractually obligated" to stay on at CCP. That deflates some of my cautious optimism.

These kinds of contracts usually involve ex key staff members being around for a little while to show the new overlords how the coffee machine works etc. He probably will have no say in strategy, if he's even invited to the meetings.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

It would be ironic should the changes made to SOV nullsec helped revive NPS null.

I mean, even Syndicate is seeing multiple caps on the field in fights these days. Used to be a single carrier was noteworthy.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

jiggerypokery posted:

These kinds of contracts usually involve ex key staff members being around for a little while to show the new overlords how the coffee machine works etc. He probably will have no say in strategy, if he's even invited to the meetings.

he almost certainly won't be allowed to blow his new bosses' money on half-baked schemes to be an industry mogul anymore and will get told to stay firmly in his eve-related lane

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bilirubin posted:

It would be ironic should the changes made to SOV nullsec helped revive NPS null.

I mean, even Syndicate is seeing multiple caps on the field in fights these days. Used to be a single carrier was noteworthy.
:eyepop:
Wait, so you are saying if I jumped over to Syndicate with a Super Carrier I could rule the entire region with an iron fist?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
Wait, so you are saying if I jumped over to Syndicate with a Super Carrier I could rule the entire region with an iron fist?

I'm saying that supercap would be murdered in short order. Looks like BL is more and more active there.
https://zkillboard.com/related/30003282/201809060300/

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

so apparently NCdot pulled supercaps out of DO6? if so that is hilarious

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

so apparently NCdot pulled supercaps out of DO6? if so that is hilarious

what does that mean? shart dragon is officially on his own?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

blink twice if hes already in CFC backchannels offering to sell out co2 and ncdot

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hexel posted:

what does that mean? shart dragon is officially on his own?

maybe, maybe not

it does mean that fade and pure blind are completely hosed, and deklein probably won't fare much better

DARKNESSdot locked CO2 out of GOTG citadels as well apparently :laffo:

Hexel posted:

blink twice if hes already in CFC backchannels offering to sell out co2 and ncdot

what signal do i use if i'm just a low-level line member grunt and have no access to that sort of poo poo

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

So where are all the still-2587 scrublords in CO2 hiding?

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
unironic vfk by xmas

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

CainFortea posted:

Lets try a thought exercise.

If PL can't adjust to the meta of "you actually have to be in your space to make money off of it", perhaps you can name a group that was able to adjust to this meta and thus is in a better position than PL?

Just, you know, name someone that comes to mind... :allears:

It's not a meta, it's the state of the game. It heavily favours mass recruiting, since the only limit to how much money you can make off a region is how many players you can stuff in it.

Previously, for better or worse, a few hundred players could hold multiple regions using caps/supercaps. PLNC, which was probably around 1000-1200 actual players at the time, managed to hold half the map with the rainbow road.

CCP decided to change the game drastically with jump fatigue, and then injectors, then rorqs. The correct way to "adapt to the meta" would've been to mass-merge everybody into one alliance and krab it up on the other side of the map from GSF, then have some big throwdown. But where's the fun in that?

It's currently pretty fun being able to play with just a few people, and rip up bads in nowhere-important low/null. There certainly are downsides, but all in all we're having more fun than we've had in a while, without having to deal with certain figures in current-year PL leadership.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

What is there to wargame?

When TAPIGoon has 2x your numbers in titans mixed across all damage types what exactly are you expecting to be able to pull off against them?

PLNC are alliances focused on PvP. We don't want to PvE. Maybe that makes us weak with this stupid krab-centric new order but I'd rather die as a PvP alliance than embrace spod into my brain.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

What is there to wargame?

When TAPIGoon has 2x your numbers in titans mixed across all damage types what exactly are you expecting to be able to pull off against them?

PLNC are alliances focused on PvP. We don't want to PvE. Maybe that makes us weak with this stupid krab-centric new order but I'd rather die as a PvP alliance than embrace spod into my brain.

There's no contesting the TAPI-GSF titan blob now, so why try? PLNC could adapt to the meta to counter this, but it would be really hard, and current leadership wouldn't be amendable to it at all.

PVP doesn't mean you have to be some bigname sov contesting empire building alliance. Unless there are internal troubles, the TAPI-GSF model has won the "contest single timer fight" for now. There are a lot of groups though, like skillu, HK, ivana, rekking krew, and others who manage to have fun in a bit more of an "elite" way, without being srs bsns sov fighters.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Landsknecht posted:

There's no contesting the TAPI-GSF titan blob now, so why try? PLNC could adapt to the meta to counter this, but it would be really hard, and current leadership wouldn't be amendable to it at all.

PVP doesn't mean you have to be some bigname sov contesting empire building alliance. Unless there are internal troubles, the TAPI-GSF model has won the "contest single timer fight" for now. There are a lot of groups though, like skillu, HK, ivana, rekking krew, and others who manage to have fun in a bit more of an "elite" way, without being srs bsns sov fighters.

Join Groon

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

evilweasel posted:

he almost certainly won't be allowed to blow his new bosses' money on half-baked schemes to be an industry mogul anymore and will get told to stay firmly in his eve-related lane

I give it 12 months before they install a new general manager. Maybe 6.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Join Groon

as I recall groon had absolutely no idea what they were doing, and the only highlight was that pflax was rather hilarious

it's kind of fun to not be a dumb in eve, and play with other not dumbs

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bilirubin posted:

Join Groon

sadly i think groon is dead

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Landsknecht posted:

as I recall groon had absolutely no idea what they were doing, and the only highlight was that pflax was rather hilarious

it's kind of fun to not be a dumb in eve, and play with other not dumbs

Groon is a gem, you shut your whore mouth

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

working mom posted:

Groon is a gem, you shut your whore mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Landsknecht posted:

It's not a meta, it's the state of the game. It heavily favours mass recruiting, since the only limit to how much money you can make off a region is how many players you can stuff in it.

Previously, for better or worse, a few hundred players could hold multiple regions using caps/supercaps. PLNC, which was probably around 1000-1200 actual players at the time, managed to hold half the map with the rainbow road.

CCP decided to change the game drastically with jump fatigue, and then injectors, then rorqs. The correct way to "adapt to the meta" would've been to mass-merge everybody into one alliance and krab it up on the other side of the map from GSF, then have some big throwdown. But where's the fun in that?

It's currently pretty fun being able to play with just a few people, and rip up bads in nowhere-important low/null. There certainly are downsides, but all in all we're having more fun than we've had in a while, without having to deal with certain figures in current-year PL leadership.

There was still some adaptation required. PL started trying to get as many warm bodies with Horde. They could have adapted but instead decided to farm them for content instead of control of space.

Our culture was different from the get go, so our adaption was far easier and is why it was successful.

Dragonsharts is trying to say I'm claiming our culture had nothing to do with it, which was stupid thing I never said, and was giving him poo poo for it.

It wasn't our culture alone, otherwise we could have stomped PL to death years ago. It wasn't meta change alone, because plenty of other groups failed to pivot to the new meta.