Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'm not big on modding these games, but even I would pretty much immediately install Bag of Tricks or Toybox (depending on game) and recommend everyone else do the same. There are hinky bits and out-and-out bugs that you might end up having to work around, so it's best to have the tools to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Drakenel posted:

Dunno who you think is going to be disappointed. Do whatever makes the game enjoyable and not frustrating. Most of us are here to see the narrative parts anyway.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the army system feels extremely undercooked as a mechanic, yes

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
It really is. Either you win with no losses or have a total wipe, there is no in-between. Some of the enemy army strengths are greatly wrong on the map, too. One "5" could be a ton of easily killed cultists, whilec another is a few small stacks of succubi who charm your army into killing itself. It can be fun to stomp stuff with various path specific units though

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Drakenel posted:

Dunno who you think is going to be disappointed. Do whatever makes the game enjoyable and not frustrating. Most of us are here to see the narrative parts anyway.

Guilty! ;)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Here’s a tip from me about enemy generals with spells: Turn on auto-battle. Most of the time if you have numerical superiority you will win with minimal casualties and it doesn’t take yours or your enemy general’s spell capability. And if you lose you can run the battle yourself anyway.

(Also set your crusade difficulty to story so you get tons of resources and recruitment)

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah the Crusade mode is something you can just one shot. It's not a particularly engaging system anyway.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Does crusade mode affects regular play, anyhow?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gun Jam posted:

Does crusade mode affects regular play, anyhow?

Yes, I've gotten a few battlescape items (that have all been useless for me and promptly sold) from the geoscape component, and I believe that it will grow more significant in Act 3.

Right now the game's still in training wheels mode.

However, updates may be further delayed on account of 'what if Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, was leading enough guns and artillery to make Dwight D. Eisenhower think maybe this is a bit excessive.'

Only took them eight loving years to add a woman to the protagonist faction of the goddamn series.

Also a new Endless Ocean game for the Switch coming out later this week.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 30, 2024

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cythereal posted:

However, updates may be further delayed on account of 'what if Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, was leading enough guns and artillery to make Dwight D. Eisenhower think maybe this is a bit excessive.'

Only took them eight loving years to add a woman to the protagonist faction of the goddamn series.

What game is this? I'm drawing a blank.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

What game is this? I'm drawing a blank.

Total War: Warhammer 3.

A game I enjoy very much but am totally the wrong person to ever LP. The game got a new DLC today that finally adds a female character to the protagonist faction of the game.

She's a great character, but still shouldn't have taken eight goddamn years.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Cythereal posted:

Total War: Warhammer 3.

A game I enjoy very much but am totally the wrong person to ever LP. The game got a new DLC today that finally adds a female character to the protagonist faction of the game.

She's a great character, but still shouldn't have taken eight goddamn years.

But they have Cathay and Kislev leaders???

Unless you mean only The Empire

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Unless you mean only The Empire

I did in fact mean the faction that covers 80% of advertising, and 90% of the books, RPGs, and video games, for the setting as 'the protagonist faction.'

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
there are warhammer fantasy video games other than total war? (and not from the antediluvian period?)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Box of Toys

Today, alas, is mostly going to be a brief filler update. We start with a map I found directions to from a not-actually-random encounter.

Where there rests a set of elven notes and this fellow.

:prepop: "Greetings, my name is Crinukh. I'm all alone here, so you may safely come closer." (He speaks smoothly, without the usual kobold hissing. Moving slightly aside, the kobold points to the carcass of a small animal on a stick roasting over the fire.) "Dinner will be ready soon."
"Whoa! I've never met a talking lizard before! Well, back in the River City we had a real dragon. Are you a dragon too? Can you turn big?"
:prepop: "You flatter me, young lady. Many of my fellows would give up everything to become dragons. Some even entertain themselves with fantasies of already being such. But I'm proud to be what I am — a kobold, nothing more, nothing less."
"Was it you who left me that note?"
:prepop: (The kobold shrugs.) "Of course. Who else could it be? I wanted to make sure you were interested in the information I can provide."
"Who are you?"

I genuinely don't know what purpose Crinukh is meant to serve in the game. He has a lot to potentially say and an extensive backstory, but I've never seen him be actually relevant to the story in any of my playthroughs. I'd guess that maybe he's tied to one of the paths I haven't played yet.

:prepop: (Crinukh utters the word 'tolerant' with shocking ease, as if he is something other than the narrow-minded and savage subterranean beast you expect him to be. Kobolds are infamous for worshiping dragons and despising all other races, and few of them would even understand the concept of 'tolerance,' let alone subscribe to it.)
"The crusade has many unusual friends — but even I haven't met anyone like you before. I'll be glad to see a kobold in our ranks!" (Seelah smiles amiably.)
:prepop: "Oh no, don't get me wrong: I have no intention of marching within the crusader ranks. Still, I hope that my humble assistance will be of use to you."
"What do you want from me?"
:prepop: "I want nothing from you. I'm asking for nothing, I'm simply offering help. I sympathize with your cause, so I would like to provide whatever support I can, from time to time. Does that work for you?" (The kobold stops and looks at you expectantly.)
"What's the catch?"
:prepop: "No catch. I am acting for wholly altruistic reasons, but my motives are something I would rather not reveal." (Crinukh turns his face to you and his wrinkles become more visible in the glow of the fire.) "We just met five minutes ago. Don't you think it's too early to expect complete candor just yet? As I have already told you, I am a friend of the crusade. You can choose to trust me or you can leave. I offer help and ask for nothing in return. So the question is simple — will you accept the claw of friendship from a stranger, or is your distrust stronger than your need for help?"
"Thank you. We would appreciate any help."

Well, no harm in being polite.

:prepop: (Pulling out a small knife, the traveler carefully cuts off two strips of meat from the roasted hare. He throws one into his toothy maw, while graciously offering the other to you.) "A strange animal, for sure, but it seems edible. The energies of the Worldwound mask everything in illusion. Harmless-looking animals try to eat you for dinner, dangerous paths appear to be straight roads, and your enemies... sometimes your enemies can look like your friends." (Crinukh squints and looks deeply into your eyes.) "Have you ever been in a situation like this? First, you think a person is your friend and ally, but then the scales fall from your eyes, and you realize — they are actually your sworn enemy. So, you catch this person, you tie them up, and then you start thinking — how should you treat them now? Like your enemy? Like your former friend? It's hard to decide. What would you do if one of your friends turned out to be a traitor?"
[Good] "Those who have lost their way must be saved. We need to help them return to the path of righteousness."
:prepop: "Did some cleric tell you that? And have you ever seen even one of those who 'returned to the path of righteousness'? Stop listening to others and use your head. We're not talking about children here. The decision to collaborate with demons is a little different from yanking on the family cat's tail. To make such a decision, a person would have to be a truly vile scumbag. Oh, just where do you people get this beautiful naivety from?"

From not assuming that everyone is a rational actor who understands the situation in front of them at all times, mainly.

"I'm not convinced."
:prepop: (The kobold shrugs.) "Was I trying to convince you? I was just stating my opinion. Then again, if we're discussing traitors — it's fortunate that betrayal is not reserved for mortals alone. Demons stab each other in the back far more frequently. The rumor is that there are at least two demon stashes within Drezen, filled with arms and supplies that were stolen by Deskarites from Baphomites, and vice versa. One of them is near the entrance to the fortress, while another one lies by the entrance to the Citadel."
"It is highly suspicious that you know so much about these things."
:prepop: "Oh, that was pure luck. Kobolds must get lucky too sometimes, right? (Cracking his knuckles, Crinukh gives you an inquisitive look.) "I hope that when the time comes for you to make real decisions instead of hypothetical ones, your wisdom won't fail you. Just one bad choice can turn a revered leader into a disgraced pariah. I've seen it happen before. I lived through something like that — my tribe suffered a disaster caused by just one bad choice. Can you even imagine?" (The kobold squints sadly, his shoulders slumping a bit. With a sigh, he begins to talk.) "I don't like telling this story, but it might be useful for you to know it. Perhaps it will serve as a warning."
"I'd like to hear your story next time."
:prepop: "Good luck. I believe you'll need it."

Socrates was murdered by his peers, just saying.

Search this area carefully for this very interesting item.

More crusading.

So this is the fight that made me break out a mod called Toybox, the favored all-in-one do-anything general gently caress abouty super-mod for Wrath of the Righteous, and I did so because this fight is bullshit even on Story difficulty.

Now, if it was just the incubi here, this fight would be tough but manageable for this army. The problem is, the demon general is a mage, and has the same kind of abilities Ageboya does, most importantly the single target nuke Scorching Ray. Scorching Ray is just as deadly in the AI's hands as it is in mind, and when I tried fighting this legit, the fights went very simply: my archer stack was annihilated in two casts, the footmen stack in two more, and any of the other troops the incubi themselves didn't get the general did.

Four turns to wipe out almost all my progress and army buildup in crusade mode, with zero meaningful counterplay. There is no counterspell, no interruption, there's a few defensive spells you could get but I don't have any and God forbid you didn't pick a mage general.

I am extremely not a fan of this kind of game design, where the player and AI have equally powerful tools, at least not in this kind of game. The reason is simple: the player has to win every time (more or less), the AI only has to win once. Now, getting wiped out here isn't the end of the world, but it does mean waiting for in-game weeks to rebuild an army.

Effectively, if your main army gets killed in this game, either you commit to a massive expenditure of time recouperating or you reload.

Now, the standard 'legit' way of dealing with a fight like this is to take advantage of the fact that the AI has no concept of overkill or conservation of resources and bring in one of those free event troops I have, split it up into a dozen armies of one unit, and feed them into this fight. They'll eat a Scorching Ray and die, and eventually you'll deplete the general's mana and can bring in the main army safely.

But, well, I don't generally enjoy being challenged in video games. I do not take satisfaction or pride from improving my skills, I do not enjoy the feeling of overcoming a difficult obstacle, and I do not like knuckling down and trying to improve. I do not get good. I cheat, get mods to cheat, or stop playing.

Commander, urgent intelligence report concerning General Ageboya!
Proceed, adept.
Ageboya reports that the incubi position has been wiped out to the last. No friendly casualties.
No casualties? How in the world... that was a formidable army! And how are you getting intelligence reports, anyway? You're not part of the chain of command.
I'm a priestess of Desna. I was taking a tactical nap and had a vision of the battle.
This is highly unorthodox...
How did she manage it, Katarina?
Her army was preparing to attack when a cloud of multicolored butterflies descended on the demons' position and exploded in violent torrents of fire all the colors of the rainbow.
Praise Desna, sir.
Praise Desna!

Ageboya levels up again and gets more mana.

Nevi, my head hurts. That sorceress isn't even a cleric...
She told you about the butterflies, huh?
How in the world are we supposed to plan for tactical butterfly sappers?
I don't think you do, Beth. Come up with a good plan, and laugh when it turns out to be unnecessary.

This is another random side area. Impaled corpses mounted on trees are rarely a good sign.

Well, it does mean 'Experience points inside!' to do-gooders.

Surprise (or not), it's demons.

The miniboss is nasty, even on Story difficulty he tore a substantial chunk out of Sosiel.

Sosiel takes his armor.

Lann gets a new belt.

Ageboya meets a new enemy type, cavalry! Hellknights, for reference, are cavalry units - cavalry move fast and tend to be individually very beefy units.

We get an unremarkable trinket out of it, and I choose to call it a wrap here. We've finally made it to another major sidequest that will warrant its own update next time.

The Crimson Path (this update)

Incubi 6
Will o Wisps 2

Bandit Platoons 81
Cultist Platoons 266
Ghoul Hordes 28
Incubi Hordes 34
Minotaur Hordes 24

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I always say to myself that I'll visit Crinukh again later in the game to see if he ever says anything interesting but then I promptly forget he exists.

He represents (which I imagine is supposed to be) my least liked type of DMPC: Offers unconditional help and refuses to elaborate as to why, playing up the mysterious benefactor for no good reason. Go kick rocks. Who wedged you into this adventure.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I genuinely don't know what purpose Crinukh is meant to serve in the game. He has a lot to potentially say and an extensive backstory, but I've never seen him be actually relevant to the story in any of my playthroughs. I'd guess that maybe he's tied to one of the paths I haven't played yet.

It may or may not surprise you to learn that Crinukh is also a backer NPC.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I think it's backer NPC and has basically no interactions except this one. Sounds like this particular backer really, really liked Avellone's various iteration of wise old woman and wanted to make their own, but kobold. Still better than Kaylessa.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

We need to shut down Kickstarter until we figure out what is going on

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

idonotlikepeas posted:

It may or may not surprise you to learn that Crinukh is also a backer NPC.

Doesn't surprise me in the least. I figured he was just tied to one of the mythic paths I haven't played or some sidequest I haven't done.

Good to know that he's just a backer NPC I never need to speak to again.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Turns out money isn't a replacement for writing skill or imagination. Who knew?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I can understand why someone would want their NPC to be cool and mysterious if they paid $5000 to have them included in the game, but really that's just an argument to not let them pay $5000 to include their NPC in the game. (Or, if you must, put a lot more guardrails around the offer.)

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010

SettingSun posted:

I always say to myself that I'll visit Crinukh again later in the game to see if he ever says anything interesting but then I promptly forget he exists.

He represents (which I imagine is supposed to be) my least liked type of DMPC: Offers unconditional help and refuses to elaborate as to why, playing up the mysterious benefactor for no good reason. Go kick rocks. Who wedged you into this adventure.

Crinkuh threw up all the red flags for me. Especially when he starts trying to debate you on moral flexibility, except he isn't, he's "just asking questions". No doubt that if you ever decide you might need additional power, like from say a pact with a Devil or something, Crinukh happens to know someone who can hook you up.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Szarrukin posted:

I think it's backer NPC and has basically no interactions except this one. Sounds like this particular backer really, really liked Avellone's various iteration of wise old woman and wanted to make their own, but kobold. Still better than Kaylessa.

If you come back after you take Drezen, he can relocate so you don't have to go to the middle of nowhere to get his (honestly rather blunt) cryptic comments about the next few arcs/major side quests.

rastilin posted:

Crinkuh threw up all the red flags for me. Especially when he starts trying to debate you on moral flexibility, except he isn't, he's "just asking questions". No doubt that if you ever decide you might need additional power, like from say a pact with a Devil or something, Crinukh happens to know someone who can hook you up.

Honestly, he's not that complicated. He's got a generally capital-C chaotic and lowercase-g good view of the world. Everyone is an island that can't be put in a neat box, but you should still try and understand people anyway. After all, maybe everything you've been taught is wrong?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 1, 2024

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
i find myself really liking the concept, tbh. modern fantasy stories are weaker for the assumption that if you encounter a random mystical fucker who knows more than he lets on, he must be secretly involved in your story, and will ultimately reveal his true reasons when the time is right.

no, sometimes there's just a mystical fucker dropping obtuse hints. you may safely assume he has a reason. he may have a better reason for refusing to share it with you than spite, but you will never know. feel free to ignore him and move on, but if you're in the market for obtuse hints, you know where to get them.

you so rarely see a proper narrative wizard these days.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Crinukh is a backer’s character. I don’t think he’s ever relevant to the main plot.

Cythreal and I have similar video game play styles.

New demons-

Incubus- demons of torture and perversity. Usually a male equivalent of the succubus lust demon in most stories, but a separate species in Pathfinder. This is the first time we’ve seen them, I think, though their offspring with mortals- cambions- appear in the early game.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, as long as they're a large enough stack to not get one-shot you can generally just heal through the enemy general's scorching rays. Between having one version or another of a heal spell, and keeping the clerics adjacent, just use the archers as a lightning rod while you clear out the stacks.

Yes, yes, this requires having a mage general, but as mentioned multiple times over that's just what the highly recommended thing to do is.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'm mostly just annoyed that particular backer picked a kobold for their self-insert. Don't taint my favorite little guys with your armchair philosophy! :mad:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm all for making kobolds more interesting and less one-dimensional but Crinukh does come off as a bit insufferable.

That said, this

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

i find myself really liking the concept, tbh. modern fantasy stories are weaker for the assumption that if you encounter a random mystical fucker who knows more than he lets on, he must be secretly involved in your story, and will ultimately reveal his true reasons when the time is right.

no, sometimes there's just a mystical fucker dropping obtuse hints. you may safely assume he has a reason. he may have a better reason for refusing to share it with you than spite, but you will never know. feel free to ignore him and move on, but if you're in the market for obtuse hints, you know where to get them.

you so rarely see a proper narrative wizard these days.

is a good point. Not everything needs to be explicitly tied to the protagonist. Some people are just a bit weird. Maybe this dude is the equivalent of the guy on the subway who tells you random facts and then you never see him again.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
And this shows ultimately why Crusader Mode kind of sucks. At some point, the army becomes little more than a meat wall for the General while they cause a localized apocalypse on the enemy ranks. It's great when you're the one causing the Apocalypse! Not so much when you're the one getting Apocalypsed.

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010

Black Robe posted:

I'm all for making kobolds more interesting and less one-dimensional but Crinukh does come off as a bit insufferable.

That said, this

is a good point. Not everything needs to be explicitly tied to the protagonist. Some people are just a bit weird. Maybe this dude is the equivalent of the guy on the subway who tells you random facts and then you never see him again.

But the problem is that it doesn't make sense. Like, you only know to come to that camp because someone slipped a note into your pack; but you're the general of a massive army, just randomly slipping stuff into your pack is a huge undertaking. So it's not unreasonable to think that someone who's gone to all that effort and is sticking around literally on the edge of hell to talk to you would have a deep interest in what's going on.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

rastilin posted:

But the problem is that it doesn't make sense. Like, you only know to come to that camp because someone slipped a note into your pack; but you're the general of a massive army, just randomly slipping stuff into your pack is a huge undertaking. So it's not unreasonable to think that someone who's gone to all that effort and is sticking around literally on the edge of hell to talk to you would have a deep interest in what's going on.

And he does! He's very obviously referring to Nurah!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I looked through the script, and yeah he only has three categories of things to say: cryptic remarks about future or ongoing plots, explaining his convoluted backstory, and 'just asking questions' about your chosen mythic path.

The only mythic path he approves of, for the record, is Trickster. He calls you a naive hippy if you go Azata, a brainwashed drone if you go Angel, a tyrant if you go Aeon, and things go downhill from there.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

The only moral path is the worship of dragons :hmmyes:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

One thing I will say for Crinukh is that there is a fairly strong theme in this game of characters playing against type in various ways, particularly when it comes to their species, and he definitely fits into that. (That's about the only thing I'll say for him, since I don't like his character much, but it's something.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
At least he's not Pun-Pun, I suppose.

Or Kari the Kobold.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Cythereal posted:

:prepop: (Crinukh utters the word 'tolerant' with shocking ease, as if he is something other than the narrow-minded and savage subterranean beast you expect him to be. Kobolds are infamous for worshiping dragons and despising all other races, and few of them would even understand the concept of 'tolerance,' let alone subscribe to it.)

Yikes. (especially considering things I've heard about treatments of kobolds in kingmaker).

Cythereal posted:

Now, the standard 'legit' way of dealing with a fight like this is to take advantage of the fact that the AI has no concept of overkill or conservation of resources and bring in one of those free event troops I have, split it up into a dozen armies of one unit, and feed them into this fight. They'll eat a Scorching Ray and die, and eventually you'll deplete the general's mana and can bring in the main army safely.
While "chump-blockers" (don't remember the preferred term in the HOMM community) is a time-honoured tradition, it always looked a bit silly.
Is the AI always this bad, or only on easy?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Who or what is Kari the Kobold?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Quackles posted:

Who or what is Kari the Kobold?
IIRC it was a mod of some notoriety for Baldur's Gate 2. Never dared to try it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
NPC mods for Baldur's Gate 2 were a total disaster.