Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
In Pattaya so I get an attack bonus.. This fuckin place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I meet the girls here on the internet, 2014 afterall. Also least expended effort. Badoo for life. Im done for now, i got in over my head. Badoo, OKC, and Tinder is the trifecta in SE Asian countries though.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
I used Tinder in Bangkok and it was full of girls who who I knew from back home in Adelaide. Kinda weird.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Finch! posted:

I used Tinder in Bangkok and it was full of girls who who I knew from back home in Adelaide. Kinda weird.

I use GrindrKrap. Excellent for finding dates

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Finch! posted:

Every Aussie I meet anymore is from Adelaide. And it's supposed to be like the small lazy Oz city that has the least people of the larger cities. What gives?

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

ReindeerF posted:

Every Aussie I meet anymore is from Adelaide. And it's supposed to be like the small lazy Oz city that has the least people of the larger cities. What gives?

I think there are two equally plausible theories why this is so:

1) It's a small city and everybody leaves at some point, usually shortly after university.

2) It's the capital city of the only state not founded by convicts, so we're much more cultured and worldly than the convict scum that surrounds us and thus more likely to travel while the other guys are too busy stealing poo poo and being racist.

Seriously though, it's a bit weird that you say that. I've met a few people from Adelaide in my travels but much more common are people from Perth, Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne. - there are literally millions more of them than us.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This is a weird question, but what's the general state of dentistry in Thailand? I went to one here in the US today and I have a few fillings I need done, I told my fiance and the first thing out of her mouth was "get them filled in Thailand next month!" She says her dentist back home is a good friend of her parents' and claims they're one of the best in their region, and that it would cost "like $100 or something". It seems totally crazy to travel halfway around the world for dental work, right? :psyduck:

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

C-Euro posted:

This is a weird question, but what's the general state of dentistry in Thailand? I went to one here in the US today and I have a few fillings I need done, I told my fiance and the first thing out of her mouth was "get them filled in Thailand next month!" She says her dentist back home is a good friend of her parents' and claims they're one of the best in their region, and that it would cost "like $100 or something". It seems totally crazy to travel halfway around the world for dental work, right? :psyduck:

A lot of people in NZ go to SE Asia for dental work because it's vastly cheaper and Thailand is one of the better places to go because it's more developed. We call it a medical vacation. You can have a vacation and get your medical poo poo done afterwards for the same price it'd cost in NZ.

Our medical is generally free but poo poo like dentistry isn't included. Eg. wisdom teeth removal costs about $400 a tooth.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It's generally very good and much cheaper than the US / other developed but not first world nations. I think Reindeer's business may even be able to help you pick a dentist and has a stable of preselected high quality ones (even for Thailand) at the ready. Doctors usually speak at least fairly decent English and having any of those sorts of issues is unlikely. I'd personally never get elective dental work done in the US if I had an option to do otherwise.

Also the customer service you get when getting medical care in Thailand is world's better than in the US or Europe. They're so just happy to be cutting off your mole or whatever.

raton fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 16, 2014

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
What are those people selling all over Thailand (and elsewhere?) when they are sitting at little tables covered in bits of paper? They look kinda like large lottery tickets. Find them outside of cafes, shops, everywhere really.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Jeza posted:

What are those people selling all over Thailand (and elsewhere?) when they are sitting at little tables covered in bits of paper? They look kinda like large lottery tickets. Find them outside of cafes, shops, everywhere really.

These?

Yeah, they're national lottery tickets. They draw winners every evening of 1st and 16th each month.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Yeh they're lottery tickets. They're absolutely mad about it and it's typically Thai; both ridiculously confusing and pleasantly simple at the same time. Basically all the tickets are pre-printed so you search for the numbers you want. I think the six digit numbers are the first prize and there are other numbers for smaller prizes.

There is an official price but again it's Thailand. I think 100baht for 2 tickets is standard which includes a mark up for the guy selling it. Some tickets will cost more because the numbers are lucky or something and there's a way to play it illegally (again, Thailand) which is even more bizarre.

How the gently caress you actually find out the results is completely beyond me though.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

The results are tweeted by Richard Barrow.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I kinda assumed farangs aren't eligible to win anyway.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

duckmaster posted:

How the gently caress you actually find out the results is completely beyond me though.

The drawing is televised, and the results will be published on many newspaper the next day. I'm sure the lottery office put the results on the internet, too.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Had a pleasant meal of "Vegetable Fried Pork you can suckle" served by a girl whose only English seemed to be "Sorry" in varying intonations, wearing a T-Shirt proudly emblazoned gently caress in massive letters. Just went to 7/11 to pick up a beer to drink miserably alone in my room because this Guest House is unsocial as heck, and picked out "Siam Sato" because I hadn't heard of it and it seemed cheap for the size. First taste I was like eurghhgh, looked at label, and it's some 8% rice wine. How is that cheaper than beer??

Actually quite nice though. For this not to just be a dumb diary post, Sukhothai and Si Satchanalai are great and worth a visit if you like lame stuff like culture. I went really early morning when it was cooler and quieter. Sukhothai got pretty drat hot/busy by midday, flocks of schoolkids etc. Taking a whole bunch of buses all the way to Nong Khai tomorrow, God willing.

e: watched a Thai soap opera on TV. well it might have been that, or a compilation of women crying and screaming. Hard to say.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

God I know why Koh Tao is home for me.

As I was getting on the night boat, some dude started yelling my name... it was a divemaster who I've known for 3 years. Had a few beers pre- and early ferry ride and had a grand old time. Got on the island around 5am, braced myself for a long day of looking for a house. Around 8am, someone showed up at the dive shop that I'd never seen before but hooked me up with a sweet place that I ended up taking after seeing a few more houses. That meant I was free to go diving at noon, which I did, and then afterwards had beers with some old friends. Someone wanted to go have BBQ so we all filed into a taxi (which a friend owns) and everyone ate their fill, including beers, for far less than I was expecting to pay. First day back... I love this place.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is it fair to say that Pattaya is the way it is because of the Vietnam war and the soldiers, sailors, etc who came here during their R&R and required certain services, and it just ballooned from there? Was Thailand much more socially conservative overall before the war? I guess I could ask someone on the street somehow sometime but goons know many things

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There are old Chinese documents from like 1500 or something that basically go "So hey Thailand right?! :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle:" and they're just about as gross to read as sexpat retard comments on a modern forum. There's also always been a strong domestic demand for prostitution and part of the reason Thailand took the lead in international sex tourism was that it already had a developed sex for sale sector when Paunchy Simon figured out how to buy airplane tickets and realized he could go more than a week without eating Heintz beans and not die.

With that said Thailand's current dominance in the tourism / sex tourism / ag export / regional military / 7-11 sectors is a complicated issue. Before colonialism Cambodia was a wedge and Burma a sliver -- a ton of those countries was claimed and held by Thailand after it finally getting the better off the millennia of seesaw wars between Cambodia and Burma. A lot of territory was used to bribe off the French on one side and the British on the other. At the same time really lopsided trade treaties were established and this is why SE Asia (and other colonies) lagged behind other Asian powers that managed to dodge colonialism for the next hundred years or so even though Thailand was probably more developed in many ways than Japan at the outset of the era. Still, Thailand itself was never truly colonized, allowing Bangkok to distinguish itself to a degree that other regional cities could not. It also allowed for the funds to begin building roads -- Thailand has had a much more developed transportation capability for the last two hundred years than any of its neighbors (which has contributed strongly to it's ag export business which is historically the major money maker).

Thailand and America are inexorably linked, however. It was America that first let Thailand out of its colonial era trade agreements (which Thailand then instantly used as leverage against other powers that had them -- coincidentally the UK was the very last to let go) and that is the reason that even today Americans enjoy some legal privileges with business and property ownership in Thailand that other nationals do not. Prior to Vietnam the monarchy was almost extinct and what Thailand got for playing ball with the US in that conflict was a fat whack of cash that went a) to the military and b) to the further development of their train and highway system. So you now have one country in the region with a distinctively pro-American recent history, a newly buffed transport system, and a few lingering regional advantages.

Now, would Pattaya be what it is today without US soldiers pumping their pay out of their penis there in the 60s and 70s? Actually maybe. Probably maybe not. But the people who built Pattaya into what it is were already there before Vietnam and were already in that business.

As for general conservatism Thailand has some remarkably conservative aspects that remain today that many tourists just don't see. Sexually it has always been what the west would consider liberal, however fifty years ago people would beat up ladyboys (who always existed in Thailand) and things like that so things have changed slightly.

TL;DR: IMO 70% of Pattaya's current state is due to American soldier RNR. In spite of this I do not think there has been a dramatic cultural liberalization of Thailand (in most aspects) in recent memory. I would further suggest that what you see in Pattaya is a very poor foundation to base your idea of "what is Thailand" upon -- worse than saying Williamsburg or Vegas speaks the truth about America in any real way.

Also if you would get out of Pattaya and dial down the :wiggle: I'd personally appreciate it.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

Sexually it has always been what the west would consider liberal

How so? It seems very taboo for women to be promiscuous.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

There are old Chinese documents from like 1500 or something that basically go "So hey Thailand right?! :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle:" and they're just about as gross to read as sexpat retard comments on a modern forum. There's also always been a strong domestic demand for prostitution and part of the reason Thailand took the lead in international sex tourism was that it already had a developed sex for sale sector when Paunchy Simon figured out how to buy airplane tickets and realized he could go more than a week without eating Heintz beans and not die.

With that said Thailand's current dominance in the tourism / sex tourism / ag export / regional military / 7-11 sectors is a complicated issue. Before colonialism Cambodia was a wedge and Burma a sliver -- a ton of those countries was claimed and held by Thailand after it finally getting the better off the millennia of seesaw wars between Cambodia and Burma. A lot of territory was used to bribe off the French on one side and the British on the other. At the same time really lopsided trade treaties were established and this is why SE Asia (and other colonies) lagged behind other Asian powers that managed to dodge colonialism for the next hundred years or so even though Thailand was probably more developed in many ways than Japan at the outset of the era. Still, Thailand itself was never truly colonized, allowing Bangkok to distinguish itself to a degree that other regional cities could not. It also allowed for the funds to begin building roads -- Thailand has had a much more developed transportation capability for the last two hundred years than any of its neighbors (which has contributed strongly to it's ag export business which is historically the major money maker).

Thailand and America are inexorably linked, however. It was America that first let Thailand out of its colonial era trade agreements (which Thailand then instantly used as leverage against other powers that had them -- coincidentally the UK was the very last to let go) and that is the reason that even today Americans enjoy some legal privileges with business and property ownership in Thailand that other nationals do not. Prior to Vietnam the monarchy was almost extinct and what Thailand got for playing ball with the US in that conflict was a fat whack of cash that went a) to the military and b) to the further development of their train and highway system. So you now have one country in the region with a distinctively pro-American recent history, a newly buffed transport system, and a few lingering regional advantages.

Now, would Pattaya be what it is today without US soldiers pumping their pay out of their penis there in the 60s and 70s? Actually maybe. Probably maybe not. But the people who built Pattaya into what it is were already there before Vietnam and were already in that business.

As for general conservatism Thailand has some remarkably conservative aspects that remain today that many tourists just don't see. Sexually it has always been what the west would consider liberal, however fifty years ago people would beat up ladyboys (who always existed in Thailand) and things like that so things have changed slightly.

TL;DR: IMO 70% of Pattaya's current state is due to American soldier RNR. In spite of this I do not think there has been a dramatic cultural liberalization of Thailand (in most aspects) in recent memory. I would further suggest that what you see in Pattaya is a very poor foundation to base your idea of "what is Thailand" upon -- worse than saying Williamsburg or Vegas speaks the truth about America in any real way.

Also if you would get out of Pattaya and dial down the :wiggle: I'd personally appreciate it.

Thanks for the post. For the record this is my 4th time to Thailand and this is my first time to Pattaya unless you count Jomtien. The first time I went i worked on a farm. Second time, koh chang almost immediately. Third time, koh chang and koh maak. This time ive only paid for a massage, and a few meals and a cab ride for this girl (so far -_-). Not a sexpat, i wouldn't post here if i was. Anyway most of you people are living in Nana plaza I thought, whos anyone to talk?

I've been to a lot of this country, I know what I see here is not representative. Lol goons assuming worst always

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 16, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Vogler posted:

How so? It seems very taboo for women to be promiscuous.

I feel like reality is more distant from the narrative in Thailand than the US, but even within this I think there are more ways to make yourself okay with a tryst if you're a 1950s Thai than if you're a 1950s Minnesotan.

I don't however mean to say they were New York 1970s sexually liberal in Thailand in 1500, so maybe I could have been better with how I said things.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tautologicus posted:

Thanks for the post. For the record this is my 4th time to Thailand and this is my first time to Pattaya unless you count Jomtien. The first time I went i worked on a farm. Second time, koh chang almost immediately. Third time, koh chang and koh maak. This time ive only paid for a massage, and a few meals and a cab ride for this girl (so far -_-). Not a sexpat, i wouldn't post here if i was. Anyway most of you people are living in Nana plaza I thought, whos anyone to talk?

I've been to a lot of this country, I know what I see here is not representative. Lol goons assuming worst always

Oh right I lost track of who you are. You're getting lumps for the New Nana Fanclub that roosts in here from time to time.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chantilly Say posted:

I kinda assumed farangs aren't eligible to win anyway.
I think we are, though I've never read the rules. Most day to day benefits that can accrue to Thai people can accrue to you if you're here on a long-term visa, have PR or citizenship. Owning land and getting decent loan rates and things are about the only problems. I buy a ticket occasionally, but have yet to win, heh. I'll let you know if I do.

When I was in the Philippines for a while, I knew an American dude that won the equivalent of like several thousand dollars. He just wandered down to the office and claimed it.

Jeza posted:

Actually quite nice though. For this not to just be a dumb diary post, Sukhothai and Si Satchanalai are great and worth a visit if you like lame stuff like culture. I went really early morning when it was cooler and quieter. Sukhothai got pretty drat hot/busy by midday, flocks of schoolkids etc. Taking a whole bunch of buses all the way to Nong Khai tomorrow, God willing.

e: watched a Thai soap opera on TV. well it might have been that, or a compilation of women crying and screaming. Hard to say.
Fortman would know, I always forget, but there are nicknames for Thai soaps (lakorn) based on the style - something like slappers, screamers, etc. My friend's girlfriend would always say like, "Oh you guys may want to leave, it's a screamer." but I can't remember the nicknames in Thai.

Sukothai is great, I love that town for a 2-3 day stay. Gotta have a drink and something small at Dream Cafe (food is just okay and overpriced, ambience is awesome), stay at Lotus Village and wander around town eating local stuff. The dishes I can recall being local up there are kwayteow sukothai (noodles) and a bunch of fish dishes I didn't eat since I'm not a cooked fish guy. There's a great night market in town every night too with all kinds of good stuff.

Tautologicus posted:

Is it fair to say that Pattaya is the way it is because of the Vietnam war and the soldiers, sailors, etc who came here during their R&R and required certain services, and it just ballooned from there? Was Thailand much more socially conservative overall before the war? I guess I could ask someone on the street somehow sometime but goons know many things
This topic will ThoiViser in loving knots if you bring it up there. Best I can understand it (and this could be wrong because I've read so many opinions), the sex stuff at what was called kilo gao (9 kilometer - that's the word I've heard, can't recall for sure, it's one of the kilo markers) is the first thing people remember and it predates the American war, servicing the Thai military bases nearby - either Sattahip or U Tapao? The questions of whether the first bungalows and things in what's now thought of as Pattaya were there for the Americans gets pissily debated by some of the remaining vets who were there at the time and who (I think) kind of don't want the place to be seen as America's legacy. They've got some really detailed accounts of how the first bungalows were for Thai people and Europeans started going first. That may be true, but I kinda doubt that the growth is due to anything other than the American presence, which amped up starting in the early 1960s.

Something not widely understood is that America ran a good part of the war out of Thailand, increasingly so from the early 1960s on as activity ramped up and Vietnam itself became less stable for basing, so there were about 5-6(?) really large air bases that just churned out bomber runs nonstop and the first R&R were all those airmen and support guys out of Korat, Udon, Nakhon Phanom and so on catching rides down to the beachside bases near Pattaya. The first American air bases in Thailand were opened in the early 1960s, though JUSTMAGTHAI was established at the beginning of the actual American involvement in Vietnam, which was around the time that Dien Bien Phu fell, so maybe 1953-54 (? - not subsequent, concurrent). From the establishment of JUSMAGTHAI onward, Thailand was an increasingly major strategic command and logistics (and, starting in the early 1960s, air support/bombing) hub for the American war in Vietnam. Given the dates, the influx of infantry and other people didn't probably begin en masse until what we think of as the Vietnam war in America, which is the escalation of troops by LBJ starting in the mid-1960s and running through the troop drawdowns in the mid-1970s. So, the window for America to have been the catalyst for Pattaya realistically starts around 1962-ish, probably, with serious growth more likely coming later in the decade. That'd have to be just based on the numbers, because the only people here before were logistics, command and control and CIA folks and they were all assigned either to Bangkok or up North to infiltrate Laos.

Every time you fly into some regional airport like Udon and the runway can accommodate like a loving A380, which makes no sense on its face, you can thank Uncle Sam, heh. You're flying into a decommissioned and re-purposed American air base that was used to destroy a good chunk of Southeast Asia!

Check it out, U Tapao in 1969:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtLbHU496ig

Rural Thailand looks about the same, heh.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 16, 2014

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nice thanks

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
I see what you're saying, although I am not too familiar with 1950s Minnesota - but a lot of the norms in Thailand (women are uncomfortable with physical contact, it's rude to ask a woman for cigarettes because smokers are mainly men and prostitutes, etc) are certainly more conservative than let's say Denmark.

One thing I've wondered: Are bargirls socially isolated in Thailand, with most of their friends also being in the business?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Now that I think about it, I can see the argument for letting farangs win the lottery here--it's not like the money would leave the country anyway.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chantilly Say posted:

Now that I think about it, I can see the argument for letting farangs win the lottery here--it's not like the money would leave the country anyway.
Heh. The main lottery office is up in Nonthaburi, I used to live kinda nearby. Someone should set up a massage parlor next to it, there's open land!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Tautologicus posted:

Anyway most of you people are living in Nana plaza I thought, whos anyone to talk?

That's right. These guys here are actually pimps

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Chantilly Say posted:

You are amazing :swoon:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Would you like your winnings in cash, 50% less after taxes, or would you prefer to opt for 100% of it in ga pow, Beer Chang and fags, sir?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Vogler posted:

One thing I've wondered: Are bargirls socially isolated in Thailand, with most of their friends also being in the business?

Yes, but most of those girls are from an isolated social group of their own to begin with. However if two girls moved to Bangkok together and one became a ho and the other did not my expectations would be that they would not remain in the same social circle for too much longer.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
In Vietnam they have these lotteries too and it's an interesting concept. If I remember correctly, there could be up to 3 grand winners every day (EVERY DAY!) for the jackpot of 1,500,000,000 dongs. That's 1.5 billion dongs or about 70k USD. You had lower prizes if you got shorter strings of numbers, etc. It's nothing to change the world, it's not the Powerball. I knew people at work who had won once (and kept working) and lots of colleagues who knew neighbors or friends who had won. People would finish paying for their house, buy a new motorbike, get married or travel a bit. Nothing crazy like winning ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS and going apeshit like it can happen in other countries. I believe the saying that lottery is a "tax for the poor" but in the case of Vietnam:

1- it gives something to do to people. It's a poo poo job selling the tickets, but if you sell more than 100 (if I remember) in a day, you get a bonus. So it's mostly old poor people doing that. At least it's not pure begging, they're doing something, as lovely as it might be.
2- I haven't seen poor people use their entire monthly salaries buying shitload of tickets and getting addicted to the chance of winning, though I'm sure it happens. A ticket being 10,000 dongs (50 cents), I saw a lot of middle class-ish people drinking coffee or beer on the street just buy one from the local old lady doing the rounds. It's part charity, part "well if I win it's cool" but nobody gets crazy about it like when a huge jackpot gets announced in western countries.

TL;DR Obviously the government makes a profit but it's not as ugly as I've seen elsewhere and if you win, it's not gonna ruin your life. Lotto is still stupid but I prefer that than what I had home.

Senso fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 17, 2014

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I know people can spend a load of money on lottery tickets in Thailand. A guy I know is married to a girl from Issan, everyone in her home village spent a poo poo load of savings on lottery tickets after a renowned monk told them 'lucky' numbers. Shockingly none of those numbers came up in the draw and people were out quite a bit of money. I don't believe the monk ever came back to visit afterwards.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The maid at my wife's company has won like 5 times in a row now. She's seen as some sort of oracle and the office now pay her to pick numbers for them - and they're winning too. It's all becoming hilarious and I think she'll probably quit if she keeps winning. She's winning the 50K or whatever, not just the dinky one. 50K is 3-4 months' salary for her, I'm sure.

On that note, if you're in a market area you'll notice stalls that sell lucky numbers. That cracks me up. Lottery stall, right next door, lady selling lucky numbers for the lottery. It's like having a troll doll store next to a bingo parlor.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ReindeerF posted:

The maid at my wife's company has won like 5 times in a row now. She's seen as some sort of oracle and the office now pay her to pick numbers for them - and they're winning too. It's all becoming hilarious and I think she'll probably quit if she keeps winning. She's winning the 50K or whatever, not just the dinky one. 50K is 3-4 months' salary for her, I'm sure.

:psyduck: That is so Asia! And why we also love it I guess!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, it's hard not to enjoy the whole thing, heh.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Things that disqualify you from the man book IMHO:

1) Not carrying plenty of cash
2) Actually scared of fistfights
3) Not liking beer and brown liquor
4) Inability to either gamble reasonably or enjoy gambling
5) Intimidated-by instead of interested-in weapons, including guns
6) Preferring infinity pools
7) Never travel solo or else only go to Europe or US-UK-Oz axis of evil (Rick Steves clause)
8) Can't drive stick

raton fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 17, 2014

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Any BKK goons had a suit tailored there or have any tailors to recommend? My brother is headed out there over winter break and was thinking about it but doesn't wanna get fleeced so I thought I'd see if you guys knew any reputable ones or had had decent ones (that don't fall apart inside a year/aren't made of polyester) done and could point him to one shop or another.

Also he's gonna be going to MURDER ISLAND any tips on not being MURDERED by dirty immigrant workers are a plus too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
I've been back in Thailand for two days and I'm already sick of mattress designers and/or stingy hoteliers who seem to think that concrete with a thin layer of cardboard is the ideal ergonomics for bedding.