Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I think that's going to be the subject of the next episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Gunder posted:

I think that's going to be the subject of the next episode.

The Aeropress guy invented the Aerobie?! That's rad.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Every day I come home and see James making this drat face

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I don’t even know what James Hoffman looks like because I’m too transfixed by his cozy knitwear

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Is it safe and effecto to soak a moka pot in a cleaner like puly caff? My friend says his pot is dirty after years of daily use.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Wondering whether I should politely ask him to do a video on his hair routine

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

other people posted:

Is it safe and effecto to soak a moka pot in a cleaner like puly caff? My friend says his pot is dirty after years of daily use.

Cafiza, puly caff, or other alkaline cleaners will discolor aluminum. It's not actually harmful but it's not going to look nice and shiny afterwards. They will definitely get the built-up oils out, but I might try boiling some diluted white vinegar in there instead and giving it a good scrub with a nylon brush. This will also get out any built-up scale if you live in an area with hard water.

Also, modern dishwashing liquid will not affect aluminum and it's fine to use it on a moka pot. I think the recommendation not to use soap on them comes from when soaps were usually made with lye, but dawn or whatever doesn't have anything caustic so it won't affect the finish. Unless your friend enjoys the bitterness that comes from drinking years of rancid coffee oils, he should just go ahead and wash the moka pot (by hand, in the sink) each time he uses it.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I have come to the conclusion that I think I'm just not a fan of Kalita wave filters. They tend to gum up too much compared to v60 or other conical filters and just slow down the brew as a result, and I don't want to adjust my grinders to go coarser to really accommodate them. I've tried for the past several months (since I ran out of the Origami conical filters) to use it with an Origami M and generally I will run into super slowdown on the last 200ml of water or so due to the silt and such pooling at the flat bottom. This doesn't appear to have an effect on the overall brewing profile that much, but it just kinda irks me since I don't have that issue with other filters.

I can only assume this is due to the grind size and me being a whiny stubborn baby about not wanting to change said grind size.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I actually use the same fairly fine setting for my v60 or kalita pour overs. Are you using the stainless dripper? That one clogs up for some reason.

e: I like the Wave filters so much that I just use them with a Blue Bottle cone that looks identical to the Wave. It works great in many grind sizes.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 10, 2021

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, the design of the bottom of the steel wave seems to suffer more than the other types from filter sag issues. Basically, it sags down and fills up the gaps, limiting water flow. I think the glass version is better in this regard, as it has a different design on the base.

Scott Rao mentioned fixing this issue by inserting part of a metal mesh from a tea filter between the bottom of the wave and the filter.

Edit: he demonstrates the modification in the following video: https://youtu.be/BjsGf3R9mc0

Edit 2: Oh, I just realised that you said you were using the Origami dripper. Never mind then. I have no experience with that brewer. Can it take standard V60 papers?

Gunder fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 10, 2021

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Right now I've been using them in the Origami dripper which can accept conical filters or Wave-style filters. I do have a stainless steel dripper and I thought about possibly using a stepper drill to punch bigger drain holes, but I suspect I might run into the same issues. It may also be that these filters are a couple years old and I'm just trying to use back stock and they may be counterfeit ones, but I'm not about to go put an order for more of them until I've gone through at least the current batch (and if I was going to do that I would probably just get more conical filters)

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

25g of conditioner, five swirls with fingers only, let sit for 2 minutes and 45 seconds..

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've recently got a burr grinder so have started doing my own pour over at home, which has been awesome. But I've noticed now that I find a lot of pour over I get at places like Phil's or Blue Bottle now taste more sour to me? Or I'm noticing that note more I guess. Is that due to water temp you think? Do that have a harder time not dipping low when doing it at scale like that? Am I just being weird now?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Carillon posted:

I've recently got a burr grinder so have started doing my own pour over at home, which has been awesome. But I've noticed now that I find a lot of pour over I get at places like Phil's or Blue Bottle now taste more sour to me? Or I'm noticing that note more I guess. Is that due to water temp you think? Do that have a harder time not dipping low when doing it at scale like that? Am I just being weird now?

Assuming you're using the same coffee beans and brew method, the next biggest thing would be the water they use? The brew water and its chemical makeup make an enormous difference to the taste of the coffee.

Also: I've found that a lot of third-wave type cafes typically under-extract their coffee and espressos. I've had really awful tasting shots from cafes that taste pretty sour and vegetal, but when you get the beans home and brew them properly, they taste sweet, fruity and complex but without the awful grassy notes. I don't really know how to explain this. Maybe they just like under-extracted shots?

Edit: Regarding water temp falling off during the pour-over process. Whenever I'm making a pour-over, I always return the kettle to the base between pours to let it reheat the water to the desired temperature (typically I brew at 98c for light roasts).

Gunder fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 10, 2021

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

the main thing you learn when you start making coffee at home is how badly just about everyone else fucks it up

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Oneiros posted:

the main thing you learn when you start making coffee at home is how badly just about everyone else fucks it up

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The reason it took me so long to discover my love for Kenyan and Ethiopian coffees was due to tasting a Kenyan coffee from a fancy, third-wave shop. It tasted like grapefruit juice. At the time I was just getting started with coffee and I assumed it was meant to taste like that, but now I know it was massively under-extracted. It put me off trying coffees from those regions for ages.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 10, 2021

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Gunder posted:

The reason it took me so long to discover my love for Kenyan and Ethiopian coffees was due to tasting a Kenyan coffee from a fancy, third-wave shop. It tasted like grapefruit juice. At the time I was just getting started with coffee and I assumed it was meant to taste like that, but now I know it was massively under-extracted. It put me off trying coffees from those regions for ages.

:same:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The other thing you learn is just how bitter and acrid or completely watery and flat so many places roast and brew.

The worst ever coffee I’ve had though was at a shop near my sister’s house. It was so bad I took it back so they could dump it out. It tasted like burning cardboard and I had to go brush my teeth to get rid of the flavor. They roasted it themselves so I can only assume they did it while chain smoking cigarettes.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Gunder posted:

Yeah, the design of the bottom of the steel wave seems to suffer more than the other types from filter sag issues. Basically, it sags down and fills up the gaps, limiting water flow. I think the glass version is better in this regard, as it has a different design on the base.

Scott Rao mentioned fixing this issue by inserting part of a metal mesh from a tea filter between the bottom of the wave and the filter.

Edit: he demonstrates the modification in the following video: https://youtu.be/BjsGf3R9mc0

Edit 2: Oh, I just realised that you said you were using the Origami dripper. Never mind then. I have no experience with that brewer. Can it take standard V60 papers?

I have the metal Wave 185 and also had filter sag issues, but I decided to stop pre-rinsing the filter and somehow that fixed my problem? :shrug:

Gunder
May 22, 2003

404notfound posted:

I have the metal Wave 185 and also had filter sag issues, but I decided to stop pre-rinsing the filter and somehow that fixed my problem? :shrug:

Makes sense to me. Less contact time with the water, less time to sag. Does it impart a noticeable paper taste? I've always rinsed my filters.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

Do it

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm away from home right now and don't have milk for my coffee, do you think yogurt will work if I thin it out and mix it well?

xtal fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 11, 2021

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Can anyone provide me with a list of or just pointer to espresso machines with the steam arm on the left hand side?

Rocket does it that way. Decent and Londinium can be had like that if it’s specced when ordering.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

bolind posted:

Can anyone provide me with a list of or just pointer to espresso machines with the steam arm on the left hand side?

Rocket does it that way. Decent and Londinium can be had like that if it’s specced when ordering.

Lelit Bianca has it on the left

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

xtal posted:

I'm away from home right now and don't have milk for my coffee, do you think yogurt will work if I thin it out and mix it well?

good way to correct for when your coffee isn't sour enough

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

xtal posted:

what

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

bolind posted:

Bezzera does left hand steam on most, if not all of their prosumer models.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

xtal posted:

lmao wow

no

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Gunder posted:

Makes sense to me. Less contact time with the water, less time to sag. Does it impart a noticeable paper taste? I've always rinsed my filters.

I've never noticed a paper taste. Honestly I was more concerned about the dry paper soaking up the water and "taking away" some of my post-brew volume

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

xtal posted:

Please try and report back.

Non-comedy opinion: might taste good but can't imagine you'll get a good texture. On the other hand, maybe you can stir some coffee into yoghurt and make real nice coffee-flavored yoghurt.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

cptn_dr posted:

Cool, thanks for the tips. Sounds like it'll be a grind size issue and/or a brewing time issue then. I've left the dripper at work over the weekend so I'll try it on Monday and report back

Tried a finer grind and a sliiiightly longer brew time this morning, and was very pleased with the results. Much happier with the Clever Dripper now, that was a really nice cup of coffee.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Depends on if it's like, yogurt, or 'light & fit"-style :airquote: yogurt :airquote: that has basically the texture of jello chocolate pudding.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

neither are going to be good as a coffee mix in imo, one of the reasons coffee tastes worse immediately after roasting is because of how acidic it can be

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Somebody put watery yogurt in coffee and review. I need to know

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I've been doing pour over but I think I would like to switch to espresso. I looked at a few guides to espresso machines but am unclear as to what I'd want to buy. $300 is pushing it for my budget on this. Is that a realistic price point to get a decent result? I know some machines have extra features to make lattes and I do not need to make a latte, I want straight espresso.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dren posted:

I've been doing pour over but I think I would like to switch to espresso. I looked at a few guides to espresso machines but am unclear as to what I'd want to buy. $300 is pushing it for my budget on this. Is that a realistic price point to get a decent result? I know some machines have extra features to make lattes and I do not need to make a latte, I want straight espresso.

not sure how many would agree with this but:

were i starting out again at this point and at that budget, i'd get something like a robot, then upgrade by buying a nice grinder later on, and if you decide you need to steam you can either buy a different machine down the road or get something specifically to steam milk drinks.

https://www.cafelatstore.com/products/robotpowdercoating

it'll basically last forever with nothing to break down, you'd be able to easily take it places, and it would work without power (assuming you have a source of hot water, of course).

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

not sure how many would agree with this but:

were i starting out again at this point and at that budget, i'd get something like a robot, then upgrade by buying a nice grinder later on, and if you decide you need to steam you can either buy a different machine down the road or get something specifically to steam milk drinks.

https://www.cafelatstore.com/products/robotpowdercoating

it'll basically last forever with nothing to break down, you'd be able to easily take it places, and it would work without power (assuming you have a source of hot water, of course).

Yeah I have a burr grinder and gooseneck kettle from doing pour over, so nbd on getting those.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Dren posted:

Yeah I have a burr grinder and gooseneck kettle from doing pour over, so nbd on getting those.

I think that robot wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea if that's all your wanting. The problem I can see you maybe having is that your grinder isn't going to be consistent enough for espresso grinding and not all burrs are made the same. What would you be grinding with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah i would wager the burr grinder will be workable with a little effort on dialing things in for now, and later on down the road you can upgrade with something that is more espresso-focused