Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Thievery posted:

oh also if Zidane wins you get gil, if Vivi wins you get a card, if Freya wins you get a coral ring which is great for the stage you get it. Either kill Zidane by attacking yourself in your first fight and see if Freya wins, or fight til you reach the Zahgnol then make sure Freya gets the last hit.

When I fought the Zahgnol, Zidane got the last hit, since he had beast killer and was doing several times the damage Freya did, even with her Jump. That's a shame, since I already had more Gil than I needed since I perfected the QTE fight in Alexandria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Thievery posted:

I've never got into using Quina - when I was using him back on disc 2, his physical attacks were really weak and even though I tried to get as many blue magics as I could, he still seemed a bit poo poo.

Any tips on him would be appreciated though. He's one of the characters, like Steiner, that you lose control of so often throughout the story that I rarely bother to keep them up to date.

Do Amarant's Flair abilities (Chakra/Aura) get reflected, or Freya's stuff like Reis's Wind? I assume not, which is cool for reflecting. I never really got in depth with playing RPGs so I don't know formulas, best tactics, or anything like that, but it's been fun trying out new poo poo and realizing hey, maybe I don't need a white mage.

Quina is basically an oddball character - his forks do random damage and he has terrible Spirit which isn't a good thing. His damage spells aren't really that good either, except for a select few - Frog Drop, which you need to spend hours doing, and Earth Shake/Twister. Earth Shake is probably Quina's most consistent damage dealer for most of the latter half of the game, but Eiko is a better source of Earth damage. Twister is decent but also quite random.

Using Quina is basically playing to his/her strengths; get Earth Shake (eat an Adamantoise on the Forgotten Continent), possibly 1000 Needles (eat a Cactuar). For utility, grab White Wind (Griffins on the Outer Continent), Auto-Life (Cerberus in Ipsen's Castle or Gimme Cat near Dagguero), and Magic Hammer (Vices in Burmecia). If you want quick grinding, grab Lv5 Death (Whale Zombies on the beaches on the Lost Continent), and go use it to slaughter a few tens of Grand Dragons.

And no, Flair and Dragon stuff isn't reflectable. The only things that are are the bulk of White and Black Magic (except spells that are naturally multi-hitting like Meteor).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I seem to remember Quina being one of my best physical attackers for a good while, assuming you try to catch most of the frogs at each marsh you come to. I think you get Fork weapons as prizes that put you way ahead of the normal weapon curve with a minimum of effort.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The Card is actually the hardest of the three rewards to get via other means, but of course it has the least impact on actual gameplay.

The Coral Ring is undoubtedly the most useful, especially if you plan on farming Grand Dragons.

Zidane's prize is stuck in the weird limbo of not actually mattering much one way or another.

Nemdlin
Oct 12, 2012

It's easy when you know how.
I remember Frog Drop being a consistent 9999 to pretty much Quina glanced at and didn't consume. Granted this takes a few hours to achieve through an incredibly dull minigame, which my twelve year old self had very little qualms about doing.

He/She/It by virtue of Big Guard, White Wind and Frog Drop was the strongest overall character as far as I was concerned.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Schwartzcough posted:

I seem to remember Quina being one of my best physical attackers for a good while, assuming you try to catch most of the frogs at each marsh you come to. I think you get Fork weapons as prizes that put you way ahead of the normal weapon curve with a minimum of effort.

Her forks tend to be stronger than the vast majority of weapons characters will find for most of the game, all the way up until the final boss. However, like the Hammers in the FFT series/FF12, their damage is randomized. I've seen Quina do crazy, crazy rear end damage with her strongest fork, then maybe do a quarter of that in the next hit.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 14, 2013

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So I guess I got into the final FF14 PS3 Beta. Is there a Megathread for that game at all, or do we just talk about it in this one? I went about three pages in and didn't see one...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So I guess I got into the final FF14 PS3 Beta. Is there a Megathread for that game at all, or do we just talk about it in this one? I went about three pages in and didn't see one...

It's in the MMO HMO.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Thanks for all the various Quina tips. I don't think i'll use s/he this round but next time I go through FFIX, i'll see if I can make something work with it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nemdlin posted:

I remember Frog Drop being a consistent 9999 to pretty much Quina glanced at and didn't consume. Granted this takes a few hours to achieve through an incredibly dull minigame, which my twelve year old self had very little qualms about doing.
A few hours? poo poo, think more along the lines of like a couple dozen. It's (#frogs * level), so you gotta get a hundred and one frogs to get it to do 9999. And that's if if take Quina to the level cap. I have that kind of patience when spread out over a number of months, but most people don't.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

The White Dragon posted:

A few hours? poo poo, think more along the lines of like a couple dozen. It's (#frogs * level), so you gotta get a hundred and one frogs to get it to do 9999. And that's if if take Quina to the level cap. I have that kind of patience when spread out over a number of months, but most people don't.

Yeah, I don't know why people always reference Frog Drop as a viable damage option for Quina. Even when I am meticulous about hunting down every frog in every swamp except for a male and female to speed the respawning, you're still only talking about 5 frogs per swamp. Most of them are a pain in the rear end to catch and it involves waiting around for them to jump somewhere you can catch them. There are only a couple swamps, and it takes a while in real time for them to respawn. If you're at a normal level, like 45, it takes over 200 frogs for it to do max damage. That is a huge boring time commitment, and instead of waiting for the frogs to respawn that many times you could've just gone ahead and beat the game.

Even Zidane's Thievery, another one people cite, takes a long, long time to max out. Now Freya's Dragon's Crest? That's another matter. You can do max damage with that in about an hour, basically as early as you can get the move.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nemdlin posted:

He/She/It by virtue of Big Guard, White Wind and Frog Drop was the strongest overall character as far as I was concerned.

Mighty Guard is a gigantic 64 MP and you're almost better off using Eiko's accessory slot to use Carbuncle to cast exactly the same effect at 24 MP.

Not that you even really need Protect and Shell in the game anyway.

Also odd that Eiko's Regen is more expensive than Freya's Reis' Wind which does the same thing but better.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Since there are 8 characters in FF9, but 1 slot always has to be Zidane you actually can't play through twice to use everyone.

"Standard" Party seems to be Vivi, Steiner, Dagger. On the second time through I used Freya, Eiko, Amarant. Sorry Quina you're too weird for me :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You actually don't have to use Zidane in the final battle against Necron, weirdly enough. When the game tells you to pick a party for that fight, you can just exclude Zidane.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Pretty sure you can kick out Zidane as soon as you hit the final dungeon, though you'll still forced to use him most of the game anyway.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I reached the point in FF9 where I got the airship and I wandered a bit checking out stuff around the world.

I gave up on Chocobo Hot and Cold after playing for like 3 hours and getting only 2 maps I could actually dig up. I also apparently missed out on some Mognet subplot because I probably missed some delivery somewhere. And I found out that I have a treasure rank of H. I am apparently not very good at this game.

Ever since I've had the option for the end bits I've used a party of Zidane, Vivi, Steiner and Dagger. Since the whole game is this big, polished love letter to FFI I decided to honor that and roll with the warrior, thief, black and white Mage.

I have really, really enjoyed FF9, and since I am not inclined be a completionist, I haven't minded the fact that there is a ton of random content I haven't seen hidden behind timesink activities, but for people who do want that, I can see why they would hate this game. So much of the end stuff is just not-so-cleverly hidden grinding which is stupid.

Although this might be the first final fantasy where I try to kill one the optional super bosses (if Hades counts as that. gently caress getting a gold chocobo to reach Ozma)

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Great Lakes Log posted:

Yeah I reached the point in FF9 where I got the airship and I wandered a bit checking out stuff around the world.

I gave up on Chocobo Hot and Cold after playing for like 3 hours and getting only 2 maps I could actually dig up. I also apparently missed out on some Mognet subplot because I probably missed some delivery somewhere. And I found out that I have a treasure rank of H. I am apparently not very good at this game.

Ever since I've had the option for the end bits I've used a party of Zidane, Vivi, Steiner and Dagger. Since the whole game is this big, polished love letter to FFI I decided to honor that and roll with the warrior, thief, black and white Mage.

I have really, really enjoyed FF9, and since I am not inclined be a completionist, I haven't minded the fact that there is a ton of random content I haven't seen hidden behind timesink activities, but for people who do want that, I can see why they would hate this game. So much of the end stuff is just not-so-cleverly hidden grinding which is stupid.

Although this might be the first final fantasy where I try to kill one the optional super bosses (if Hades counts as that. gently caress getting a gold chocobo to reach Ozma)

I think FFIX, thanks to its pre-rendered backgrounds, is still one of the best looking games of its era and the franchise in general. I love how many secrets were stashed away in the background, which encouraged you to explore and appreciate all of the fantastic art.

That was my very first end-game party too, and I also didn't do much Chocobo Hot and Cold my first time through. I'd reccomend trying it to completion next time you play through the game though, the rewards can be really nice and are better the earlier you start.

Hades doesn't really count compared to Ozma. ;)

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Hades is a chump. I took him out by accident. As BottledBodhisvata said if you do a second playthrough ever, try and do all the Chocobo stuff asap. The earliest you can completely finish it is just as you get access to the airship (It won't let you find the chocograph that teaches you flight until then, on most versions of the game) but it means you can get stuff like the Oak Staff on disc 1, which means Bio for Vivi, which is stupid strong, and gives you access to stuff like Kaiser Knuckles and Freya's ultimate weapon really early, too.

And obviously a shitload of gems, but those aren't that useful.

I always have a treasure rank of H even though I open everything and know where all the hidden treasures are, so I have no idea how to actually increase it unfortunately.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
If you aren't interested in tracking everything down across the world, definitely don't go after Ozma. I had a friend who's pretty obsessive about his RPGs and he had issues with the Ozma fight. I haven't played IX to the end, but from hearing him call it Satan's Bouncy Ball and watching him fail time and time again, I'd only recommend that fight to the obsessed.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The main issue with Ozma is that there's a lot of luck involved. If it decides to string together Meteor and Curse, there's pretty much no way you're getting out alive.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Also, due to the bizarre ATB in conjunction with Ozma's bizarre "get a turn as a counter" behavior, you want to input all of your own commands while Ozma's executing its own turn.

On the subject of frogs, it's still arguably worth going for them even if you don't care about Frog Drop. You get a few goodies along the way (though half of them are forks for Quina and therefore of questionable usefulness), and from Quale at 99 frogs you can steal a theoretically-early Robe of Lords, Ninja Suit, and Glutton's Robe.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Me too, I suppose I'll give it a shot, but it seems like the PC version has a ton more players...

Oh, and as long as people are mentioning how slow FF9's battles are to spin up, I don't think any game ever was worse than Magna Carta.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

pretend to care posted:

Me too, I suppose I'll give it a shot, but it seems like the PC version has a ton more players...

Oh, and as long as people are mentioning how slow FF9's battles are to spin up, I don't think any game ever was worse than Magna Carta.

Both PS3 and PC players play together. And the same goes for the PS4 release down the road too.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So is there a map of Gran Pulse with all the area names anywhere on the internet? All these guides are just telling me "Stone is in: Steppe- DeathWard esterlands" and are basically no help at all, and I need some help since the in-game big map isn't locked down by cardinal directions and instead rotates with me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Vil posted:

Also, due to the bizarre ATB in conjunction with Ozma's bizarre "get a turn as a counter" behavior, you want to input all of your own commands while Ozma's executing its own turn.

On the subject of frogs, it's still arguably worth going for them even if you don't care about Frog Drop. You get a few goodies along the way (though half of them are forks for Quina and therefore of questionable usefulness), and from Quale at 99 frogs you can steal a theoretically-early Robe of Lords, Ninja Suit, and Glutton's Robe.

Curse is literally the bane of my tries with Ozma simply because its animation is so stupidly short. Meteor too because of its randomness.

A really fun thing to do against Ozma is to a Doomsday set-up and have Vivi/Amarant with Return Magic. You can also return Flares and Holys, provided you survive them.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Since IX is being discussed, what are some tips for a first play through? I know to try and steal against bosses, but are there any others like that?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Lessail posted:

Since IX is being discussed, what are some tips for a first play through? I know to try and steal against bosses, but are there any others like that?

When you get Quina, eat everything. She's a fantastic addition to the party if you get blue magic. IF you don't she's just a place holder.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

When you get Quina, eat everything. She's a fantastic addition to the party if you get blue magic. IF you don't she's just a place holder.

Even if you do I never found her particularly great. She requires a ton of extra work to get a few decent moves that are, by the end game, totally invalidated anyway. In hindsight I wish I had built her up though because the portion of the game where you split parties up was absolutely brutal for me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lessail posted:

Just cruise, enjoy the atmosphere, and if you're really that impatient, play on an emulator so you can speed through the battle loading scenes. It's got a rich world that it doesn't force down your throat, but its lore is all delivered tastefully through optional scenes, investigation points, or NPC dialogue.

Really it all depends on the kind of player you are. It has stuff for crazy powergamers, it has stuff for llg challengers, it has something for completionists and for speedrunners and... basically play it the way you think you'll enjoy it the most, though some of those methods might require an accompanying walkthrough your first time.

Barudak posted:

Even if you do I never found her particularly great. She requires a ton of extra work to get a few decent moves that are, by the end game, totally invalidated anyway. In hindsight I wish I had built her up though because the portion of the game where you split parties up was absolutely brutal for me.
The comedy option is to get Limit Glove and either the Auto-Life Blue Magic or the skill, proc it (which always revives you at 1 HP), and do 9999 to everything all the time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lessail posted:

You don't need to kill the last boss of Disc 1, just survive.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

You don't need to kill the last boss of Disc 1, just survive.

You don't ever get to beat her, do you? You fight her twice and both times she gets to pull the "reduce your health to 1 thus ending the fight" bullshit, right?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

You don't ever get to beat her, do you? You fight her twice and both times she gets to pull the "reduce your health to 1 thus ending the fight" bullshit, right?

You fight her 3 times. On the third she doesn't pull that trick she just starts listening and joins you.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

I think the point of doing HP damage is that you can force those fights to end early by doing enough of it.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

The White Dragon posted:

Just cruise, enjoy the atmosphere, and if you're really that impatient, play on an emulator so you can speed through the battle loading scenes. It's got a rich world that it doesn't force down your throat, but its lore is all delivered tastefully through optional scenes, investigation points, or NPC dialogue.

Really it all depends on the kind of player you are. It has stuff for crazy powergamers, it has stuff for llg challengers, it has something for completionists and for speedrunners and... basically play it the way you think you'll enjoy it the most, though some of those methods might require an accompanying walkthrough your first time.

The comedy option is to get Limit Glove and either the Auto-Life Blue Magic or the skill, proc it (which always revives you at 1 HP), and do 9999 to everything all the time.

Yeah I plan to just cruise and not really use walthroughs for really anything. Thanks for all the tips everyone! IX is one of the last FFs I have yet to play.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You fight her 3 times. On the third she doesn't pull that trick she just starts listening and joins you.

God thats right. I hated that boss fight so, so very much because each time after the first I went all out thinking "they certainly won't rob me of victory again" and they kept. doing. it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I had no idea FFXIV was getting a console release. Are people looking forward to it? Haven't followed it much since I thought it was pc only.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I had no idea FFXIV was getting a console release. Are people looking forward to it? Haven't followed it much since I thought it was pc only.

Its a pretty good MMO (now) but if you don't care about MMO's it will do 0 things to convince you to change your opinion on them.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm looking forward to it, but I've heard some people...not quite complain, but say the UI feels different from the PC version, so even though I'm probably going to get it, I'm going to wait a little longer and see.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I used to enjoy some mmos back in the day but haven't had a pc in forever. I guess I'm wondering if it is one that you have to be grindy on to enjoy, or is it fun at all levels? I don't have time to dedicate these days. Also matters how much it is a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Gologle posted:

I'm looking forward to it, but I've heard some people...not quite complain, but say the UI feels different from the PC version, so even though I'm probably going to get it, I'm going to wait a little longer and see.

The UI is different to accomodate gamepad users! It's really well optimized! For more info, you could check the FFXIV thread over at the MMO HMO subforum!