Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It is inconvenient to have to go to court, but on the other hand, that officer has to show up too, and it will probably be dismissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crocodile
Jun 19, 2004

i know, i keep thinking that about the dashcam. i spend so much time behind the wheel that it might be worth getting one. i might just have to suck it up and pay the stupid thing, though. as much as i know i'm right and want to go in to prove a point...i'd lose more missing a day of work than fighting it. guess that's how they get you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jamal posted:

It is inconvenient to have to go to court, but on the other hand, that officer has to show up too, and it will probably be dismissed.

If he works nights, he has to go when he's off duty too!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

xzzy posted:

If he works nights, he has to go when he's off duty too!

Then he probably has to get overtime! That'll show him!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It might depend on specifics or the locale, I was talking with a police acquaintance a ways back and he claimed court time when off duty wasn't compensated at all.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

jamal posted:

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/five-myths-about-traffic-tickets-1668682719

That's mostly a myth.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

I meant that it will probably get dismissed because it is a bullshit ticket, not because I think the officer won't show up.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

atomicthumbs posted:

not really when you've got a thing approaching in your blind spot which then PITs you into the truck

I'm pretty sure the driver was aware of the dipshit attempting the pass, or he probably wouldn't have dabbed the brake. It's not like I'm trying to say what anybody was actually thinking during that mess, I'm just looking at reactions and options and analyzing a hosed up situation.

Suppose small car had stayed hard on the brake? Something like this, maybe: Dipshit is suddenly even with small car and swerves right, makes side to side contact instead of the PIT. Small car moves right, but not enough. Semi collects Dipshit and tosses him into the camera car.

or

Dipshit swerves hard left, misses the semi and eats a tree 25 yards off the road.

or

Small car and Dipshit both go off on the right, small call takes a long slide and Dipshit rolls 5 or 6 times.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I am not seeing a clear point where the victim braked in the video, even if they did brake, I still wouldn't blame the victim. If a car is trying to pass you at the last possible second, and most likely moving a hell of a lot faster racing towards a semi, I think most sane people would attempt to brake to let the SUV around. Taking the shoulder would normally be a good option for either the semi or the victim, but looking at the shoulder, I wouldn't want to use it at high speed either.

That said, I think at least some of the blame should be on the camera vehicle as well since at the start of the video it looks like the camera car was quite close to the victim. Ultimately, I think the most responsible party is obviously the douche bag in the SUV.

crocodile posted:

<snip>Zipper merge <snip> but but officer!:words:
Lesson 1 - Don't zipper merge in 35mph traffic, it's just the rear end in a top hat thing to do.

Lesson 2 - Don't piss off a cop, honestly what did you expect? Why the hell did you not just shut your mouth and accept the warning?

Lesson 3 - The judge considers his or her time extremely valuable and dislikes anyone who waste their time, this is a lesson you will learn immediately after the judge listens to the cop talk about how belligerent you were acting that day. Refer back to lesson 2 if you want an primer on what will happen when you talk back to the judge.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I guess I lucked the hell out two years ago when I had 2 tickets that would've amounted to $900 and 2 points on my license. Cop didn't show up and everyones case was dismissed. This is in "gently caress you, you're paying" NY, too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This is great. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUiavfUMT4c

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

:stare:

If that was murica, 15 seconds in and granny would have thrown something at him or rammed him.

I also love dude's respect for bureaucracy. "It's illegal for me to reverse onto a motorway." :smug:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
I almost had a night terror after reading this a couple days ago.

quote:

A driver was arrested on Monday after she allegedly struck a man and woman with her vehicle in Chinatown and then dragged the woman for several miles into Dorchester, Massachusetts State Police said.

Xaianying Zhou, 44, of Sandwich, was charged with two counts of leaving the scene of a collosion causing personal injury, according to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s office. She was arraigned Monday, and her bail was set at $5,000, authorities said.

Zhou was also ordered to surrender her passport and refrain from driving, according to the DA’s office.

^ BFD was called afterwards to hose away the literal trail of blood discovered along the streets and portion of highway traveled.

:gibs:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...IaNN/story.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3426871/Boston-woman-fighting-life-struck-dragged-car-nearly-three-miles.html

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 5, 2016

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Lesson 1 - Don't zipper merge in 35mph traffic, it's just the rear end in a top hat thing to do.

Lesson 2 - Don't piss off a cop, honestly what did you expect? Why the hell did you not just shut your mouth and accept the warning?

Lesson 3 - The judge considers his or her time extremely valuable and dislikes anyone who waste their time, this is a lesson you will learn immediately after the judge listens to the cop talk about how belligerent you were acting that day. Refer back to lesson 2 if you want an primer on what will happen when you talk back to the judge.

:wtf: Did you read a different post than I did?

Anyway, that's an easy ticket to beat - there's no left turn there and GP wasn't turning left.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

crocodile posted:

i know, i keep thinking that about the dashcam. i spend so much time behind the wheel that it might be worth getting one. i might just have to suck it up and pay the stupid thing, though. as much as i know i'm right and want to go in to prove a point...i'd lose more missing a day of work than fighting it. guess that's how they get you.

Unless you make like $100 an hour at your job, take a partial PTO day and go take care of it. Better to show up and get it dismissed versus paying $136 and admitting guilt to something you didn't do, and watching your insurance/license take a hit. I did that a few years ago and took a half day of PTO to deal with a $250+ ticket because gently caress getting ticketed for something I know I wasn't guilty of by some rear end in a top hat cop with a chip on his shoulder and nothing better to do with his time.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 5, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And learn how to talk to police. I appreciate it's hard to swallow your pride but they have a ton of training to assert dominance in an interaction and are authorized to use it. Any attempt to talk back at them just ramps them up to drill sergeant mode. Answer their questions, offer no information and move on with life.

And if you're curious do some googling on what you are and are not required to say to police during a stop. You do have some rights and if you assert them the officer is required to accept that.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

xzzy posted:

And learn how to talk to police. I appreciate it's hard to swallow your pride but they have a ton of training to assert dominance in an interaction and are authorized to use it. Any attempt to talk back at them just ramps them up to drill sergeant mode. Answer their questions, offer no information and move on with life.

And if you're curious do some googling on what you are and are not required to say to police during a stop. You do have some rights and if you assert them the officer is required to accept that.

Yes, this. Good or bad, right or wrong, mouth off to a cop or give him some reason and risk a ticket or just plain being tasered.

https://youtu.be/IMaMYL_shxc

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Another tip I was given by a cop: always have your hands on the wheel at 10 and 2 when he's walking up to the car, when they can't see your hands it puts them on edge.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MIO2KRC

These things are sixty bucks new, or usually around forty bucks refurbished.

Get one, throw an SD card into it, wire it into your fusebox and forget about it until something interesting happens.

Mine has already saved my rear end when a road rager called the cops on me a few weeks ago.

As far as cops, many are just bullies and it doesn't matter what you say or do. Another reason to have a dashcam.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 5, 2016

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

Are you loving kidding?

That attitude is why cops get away with so much abusive bullshit.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

xzzy posted:

I got pulled over for barely running a red light a couple months back and can tell anyone from experience that this is spot on. Went from the usual license/registration questions, to asking where I was going and accusing me of "looking nervous", to outright lying and trying to say my license and insurance were expired until I pointed out that both were good until Jan/Feb 2016, respectively. Got let off with a warning but with anything else, I kept calm and quiet, officer apparently hadn't seen that before because he got awful flustered when I refused to answer at the "nervous' comment he made or tell him where I was headed other than "home".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I was growing up the most common "helpful" rumor was to turn off your engine and drop the keys out the window. Overkill if you ask me, but kids are dumb. These days I imagine fumbling with the steering wheel and quickly moving your hand to throw something is a great option if you need some lead in your diet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nitrogen posted:

Another reason to have a dashcam.

Gotta be careful in states requiring two party consent. :downs:

Another instance where I'd like the feds to step in and dictate how things are going to be. I like the idea of states running things how they prefer, but when they gently caress things up it's a giant pain.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

xzzy posted:

The consent limitation changes from public to private space as well, check your local laws. You're free to record no matter what, however the footage may not be allowed as evidence in court. The best way is to notify the other party, that a recording device is operating nearby. You don't have to specify which or how.

If you're believe to be a victim of unfair treatment and police are trying to shut down your recording device, which is an illegal move 99% of the time, this what you can do https://www.aclu.org/feature/aclu-apps-record-police-conduct

xzzy posted:

When I was growing up the most common "helpful" rumor was to turn off your engine and drop the keys out the window. Overkill if you ask me, but kids are dumb. These days I imagine fumbling with the steering wheel and quickly moving your hand to throw something is a great option if you need some lead in your diet.
That's overkill. The best course of action is shut off engine, hands on steering wheel, have window open and paperwork ready. Then be polite. Save your arguments for the judge. Many people gently caress up these basic, and that only result in the officer being more agitated than necessary. Keep in mind that a bullshit ticket given out of anger, is still going to cost you a visit to the court house and a day off work.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 5, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I might never drive down a two lane road again after this and the pit maneuver gif.

http://i.imgur.com/2HVFfIE.gifv

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think I'll ever get over how normal and okay many Americans seem to find this sort of relationship with cops. Be safe out there in your brutal dictatorship, and I hope you too will one day enjoy the freedom most the rest of the world takes for granted.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I seriously doubt it's unique to the US. There are lovely cops everywhere.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Most of the lovely cops elsewhere can't put a bullet in you for fun though. I'll leave you to figure out quite why that is and why it's a good thing.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

xzzy posted:

Another instance where I'd like the feds to step in and dictate how things are going to be. I like the idea of states running things how they prefer, but when they gently caress things up it's a giant pain.

Supreme court has stated filming cops doing their duties is carte blanche, especially in public. (Glik v. Cunniffe)

As far as others, if someone's going to run into me or otherwise do something stupid, i'll take the bullshit "wiretapping" or whatever charge they come up with if it proves I didnt try to commit murder.

xzzy posted:

I might never drive down a two lane road again after this and the pit maneuver gif.

http://i.imgur.com/2HVFfIE.gifv

I was waiting for that rolling wheel and axle to gently caress up the vehicle recording...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

xzzy posted:

If you drop your keys out the window the cop is going to freak the gently caress out because that's felony stop behavoir which either means you've been felony stopped a lot or think you're hiding something.
Maybe put the keys on the dash.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

xzzy posted:

From what I've gathered it kinda is, at least among developed nations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

xzzy posted:

In my ~12 years of driving 20,000km/year, I haven't been pulled over even once.

Your cops sound like they're just looking for excuses to gently caress people over.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KozmoNaut posted:

Your cops sound like they're just looking for excuses to gently caress people over.

That's kind of what we're saying, actually.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

KozmoNaut posted:

It's what happens when money from tickets ends up going directly back to the police.

See also Civil Asset Forfeiture
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_forfeiture_in_the_United_States
https://www.aclu.org/issues/criminal-law-reform/reforming-police-practices/asset-forfeiture-abuse

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

KozmoNaut posted:

In my ~12 years of driving 20,000km/year, I haven't been pulled over even once.

They're not. It's mostly confirmation bias. Very few people post that they got a warning, and not being pulled over is not a story.

I've been driving 15-18k miles a year for nearly 10 years in the greater Boston area. I've been pulled over maybe 5 times, and to various degrees I deserved it every time. Once was for 65 in a 35 on the lower deck of I-93 right after I moved here. I told the cop that I never saw the signs. He politely informed me that it went from 65 to 55 about 2 miles back, and then down to 35 another 1/2 mile back. I said "oh gently caress" and he said "yeah". He came back and handed me a ticket for 65 in a 55 and said that the signs on the lower deck were smaller, so pay extra attention.

Another one was for 80 in a 55 where all I wanted to do was get around some rear end in a top hat hogging the left lane, talking on his cell phone and varying speed from 45 to 60 depending on how much attention he was paying at the time. I blasted by him on the right and then the woman in then SUV I also passed decided that I wasn't going to get back into the left lane. So I cut her off with about 6 inches to spare both front and rear. Cop pulled me over and asked me where I was going and I said "away from the rear end in a top hat in the Subaru". He came back with a ticket for 80 in a 55, unsafe lane change, and following too closely. $495 plus points. Took it to court and explained how rush hour on I-95 works and had it reduced to 65 in a 55 and nothing else.

I'd say being polite and picking your battles is the best way to go. The only time I ever felt like I got truly hosed over is when I was on I-95 heading south, middle lane, clear road ahead. I get *passed* by an Explorer and a cop shooting traffic nails me for 10 over (75 in a 65) because I'm driving the bright red M3. And I was doing 75, but being passed at the time... that one still pisses me off. And I'm probably the rear end in a top hat you share the road with.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

Legal protection for police officers is unique to the United States though. Thanks to decades of case law and supreme court decisions a police officer can kill you and as long as he/she says "I feared for my life" on the stand there's a 99.9% chance they'll be acquitted - assuming they're charged in the first place.

I had a cop impotently rage at me during a traffic stop because I didn't take my hands off the wheel until he asked for my license and registration. I told him I was going to reach for my wallet in my side pocket and if that was OK, when I did the same thing regarding registration and insurance in my glove box he got really pissy and asked if I thought he was going to shoot me. I replied that no, I don't believe you're going to shoot me but I'm also aware that you can and easily get away with it, so I'm acting with an abundance of caution and not making any movements until I've made it clear what I'm doing and you've acknowledged it.

It was kind of fun watching him get agitated and not able to do a drat thing about it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
e: ^^^ holy poo poo, a cop yelled at you for doing what every other cop ever has told me is a wise thing to do? The gently caress was his problem?

Today Massachusetts got several inches of snow during rush hour! Yay, retards driving in snow! Some idiot was hogging the left lane as usual and passive aggressively sped up to prevent me from passing on the right. I fell back in behind him (at a safe distance) just in time for him to nearly bin it after wandering into the slush berm. After that he decided maybe the left lane wasn't his style after all and moved over.

It also took ten minutes to get a half mile from my house because several dumbasses apparently missed the memo that tires should have tread, so they slid all over rt131 trying to get up a slight hill until we (the guy in front of me and the one behind me as well) gave up and went around them.

Nitrox posted:

That's overkill. The best course of action is shut off engine, hands on steering wheel, have window open and paperwork ready. Then be polite. Save your arguments for the judge. Many people gently caress up these basic, and that only result in the officer being more agitated than necessary. Keep in mind that a bullshit ticket given out of anger, is still going to cost you a visit to the court house and a day off work.

Do not get your paperwork out until they ask for it, and don't throw your keys out the window. No hazard flashers either. 4-ways and/or keys out the window is felony stop behavior like nm said, and reaching around in the interior for your paperwork is very worrying, they can't tell what you're reaching for or why. If your wallet is jammed in a hard to access pocket or your registration is somewhere where they can't see your hands the whole time, it can help to ask permission (or state that you need to reach somewhere for it) before going for it.

My rule is -
- external lights all off. Improves their night vision.
- Internal lights on, unless you're trying to hide something, in which case you are a loving dumbass and should have hid it better, oh and not given them an excuse to pull you over while having things worth hiding in your car.
- hands at 10 and 2
- window open
- engine off, trans in park or neutral, parking brake set. I've had very jittery cops demand multiple times that I put my mantrans in park before I finally had to explain how a manual transmission works and that it does not have a park gear, but, well, can't do much about that.
- FOOT OFF THE BRAKE. Can't say this enough. If your foot is on the brake and they don't see your reverse lights blip on as you shift past reverse into park, they're going to be wondering if you're going to run, yes, even if it's a manual.

It's bullshit that we have to deal with this, and we should fight this at every opportunity, but the side of the road is NOT the place to do it. Donate to the ACLU and if you really want, talk to cops when you aren't on the side of the road.

If you get your rear end pulled over... answer any questions you are legally required to, be polite, don't be sketchy, and take your ticket/paperwork/assfucking politely. Have a camera rolling if you can. Explain the rest to the judge. I have NEVER talked my way out of a ticket on the side of the road* and I've seen a lot of people talk themselves into one.

* I have behaved my way into a warning or reduced charge instead of a hefty ticket a number of times however. Doing what I just described got me a $150 "failure to observe traffic control device" or "parking on the pavement" ticket (either way, it wasn't a moving violation, and thus wasn't reported to my licensing state and insurance company) instead of an arrest-me speeding ticket once many years ago in NY. I saw the guy put his radar gun down and knew it was me since I'd just finally passed some jackwagon who was fumbledicking around in the left lane for the last 15 miles, and had it pulled over before he even got out into traffic, lights off, dome light on, window open, hands on wheel, in park, engine off, keys on the dash. He said I clearly knew I was in the wrong and asked if I'd ever had a speeding ticket in the state... I hadn't, so he hit me with a big enough fine to remind me to not do that, but specifically said he'd make sure it was one that wouldn't be reported to my state. No complaints on that one.

And yes, our cops look for excuses to pull people over - they're known as pretense stops. Mostly to increase safetyticket revenue and find people with invalid registration/insurance/license, DUIs, drug mules, etc. I know multiple people who have been pulled over with bullshit pretense, too - specifically, one of my friends was pulled over on his birthday (he'd forgotten to renew his license... they expire on your birthday in mass) during DUI pretense stop hours because "his plate lamp was out." Once he'd gotten the ticket thrown out after renewing his license, and paid his impound fees, he got the jeep out of impound... and the plate lights worked. Fucker.

mungtor - you wouldn't believe what I've gotten away with on i95 and i90. The cops straight up do not loving care if you are doing 25 or 30 over the limit during rush hour because so is everyone else. If it's DUI-oclock they'll bag your rear end though. I've been passed by cops on i95 who were doing at least 100, probably more like 120, while doing 85 myself, in a 55, and they didn't even look at me.

I'll admit it... I speed my loving rear end off, where I know I can get away with it. I'll be damned if I don't follow every other traffic law to the letter, however.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

kastein posted:

e: ^^^ holy poo poo, a cop yelled at you for doing what every other cop ever has told me is a wise thing to do? The gently caress was his problem?

In some cases, rear end in a top hat cops absolutely hate it when you play by the rules and know the law and your rights. Plus as long as you're polite and non-confrontational, you can waste a bunch of his time doing exactly as you're told and he can't do a drat thing about it. It's the same reason some dick police hate when people ask "am I free to go" or "am I being detained and for what reason", because then they have to give valid justification versus making poo poo up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why everyone should look up the laws for their locale, cops are under no obligation to make you aware of your rights because in general it makes their job harder if you exercise them. So if you can lay down that knowledge bomb without coming off like an rear end in a top hat you can save yourself some real grief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The general rule is: "Don't talk to cops." Ever. They are building a case against you.

"Do you know why I pulled you over?" is a huge one, and you shouldn't answer it for any reason.