Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

If I'm going to be using the Defender's Greatsword, is there any reason to keep sunlight blade around? I can't even use it on the sword anyway, and its buff seems as strong as sunlight blade and it doesn't take off that much durability to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Inspector_666 posted:

One dude invaded me in Heide's Tower and when I put my shield up and just started walking at him, he rolled backwards right off a ledge.

So at least one guy isn't.

The first time I invaded someone (which was fairly late), I ended up in Shrine of Amana, and I'd never been there before so I didn't know what to expect. My first move was to roll straight forwards into an abyss. :suicide:

I wonder what the heck the other guy thought I thought I was doing.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

If I'm going to be using the Defender's Greatsword, is there any reason to keep sunlight blade around? I can't even use it on the sword anyway, and its buff seems as strong as sunlight blade and it doesn't take off that much durability to use it.

Not really since it'll just take up a spell slot, and it's only one cast. The Defender Greatsword will last you a real long time too. Like well into NG+ and probably even NG++.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

It's extremely crappy that losing in invasions/duels costs you rank in the blood bros covenant. I'm barely breaking even with all the assorted nonsense I run into.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Leper Residue posted:

Not really since it'll just take up a spell slot, and it's only one cast. The Defender Greatsword will last you a real long time too. Like well into NG+ and probably even NG++.

...What exactly would one replace it with in NG+++? :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

With that power you can do almost anything.

You choose what to see with the Throne, or maybe it just shows you what you want. Except you forgot what you want. I'm not sure what this has to do with relinking the fires like the herald mentions though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

You choose what to see with the Throne, or maybe it just shows you what you want. Except you forgot what you want. I'm not sure what this has to do with relinking the fires like the herald mentions though.

Yeah she kind of just offhandedly mentions it during her senseless rambling. :shrug:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Man why did they have to give the Wicked Eye Shield such terrible stats. Its one of the few greatshields that doesn't look awful but its just terrible to use.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Can you do a pure sorceries playthrough or at that point are you really just screwing yourself by not using hexes / sniperlightning spear?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Captain Oblivious posted:

...What exactly would one replace it with in NG+++? :v:

Just straight up hexes :v:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Can you do a pure sorceries playthrough or at that point are you really just screwing yourself by not using hexes / sniperlightning spear?

You can but you don't get the opportunity to get a decent staff what might as well be the end of the game

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Dear gang: which is the best of the greathammers? I have pretty much all of them, I just dunno which turns out best in the end.

Its the gyrm great hammer, because its an anvil chained to a stick you see.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

Man why did they have to give the Wicked Eye Shield such terrible stats. Its one of the few greatshields that doesn't look awful but its just terrible to use.

Same with the Watchdragon Parma. They went through the trouble of holding a shielf design contest, then ensured that nobody would use them by making them suck. At least the rose shield has stamina regen.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

RBA Starblade posted:

You see what you forgot so you don't forget it. You get the one thing everyone in the game wanted, the answer to "wait, what's going on?" That's enough to make you the king.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

Just straight up hexes :v:

Pffffftttttt. Hexes are for nerds.

Internet Kraken posted:

The Tower Shield looks awesome :colbert:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

HellCopter posted:

Same with the Watchdragon Parma. They went through the trouble of holding a shielf design contest, then ensured that nobody would use them by making them suck. At least the rose shield has stamina regen.

The Rebel Greatshield is actually from the shield design contest and it's basically the best shield in the game for PVP.

Plus it's part of a great piece of lore where Vendrick executed the wrong dude between Vesdalt and the dude who owned the Rebel Greatshield!

On the other hand, every single other one sucks.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
It's kind of awkward finding the good spells early in the game, too. You need to get to Carhillion before you even get the upgraded arrow spells, and the homing versions are even later. You'll need to melee at some point (with magic weapon or otherwise), but you're pretty squishy so you need to get good at dodging crap.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fereydun posted:

The Rebel Greatshield is actually from the shield design contest and it's basically the best shield in the game for PVP.

Plus it's part of a great piece of lore where Vendrick executed the wrong dude between Vesdalt and the dude who owned the Rebel Greatshield!

On the other hand, every single other one sucks.

Rebel Greatshield is one of the few other ones that is great both in terms of use and aesthetic. Is there a way to cheese the fire salamander guarding it without magic?

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Tower Shield looks awesome :colbert:

Maybe if you're a lame a blue boy it looks cool.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Rebel Greatshield is one of the few other ones that is great both in terms of use and aesthetic. Is there a way to cheese the fire salamander guarding it without magic?

I just shot them with lightning arrows from a Dragonrider Bow.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It's kind of awkward finding the good spells early in the game, too. You need to get to Carhillion before you even get the upgraded arrow spells, and the homing versions are even later. You'll need to melee at some point (with magic weapon or otherwise), but you're pretty squishy so you need to get good at dodging crap.

Only as squishy as you wanna be.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

If you're cooking up something in Drangleic, but it just doesn't have that cheesy taste, why not try serving up some Poison Arrows? Guaranteed to slowly kill enemies from a safe distance, or your souls back!*

*you will not get any souls back ever

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
All of a sudden, the game is getting stuck on the loading screen when I'm summoned for coop, it's happened three times in a row now. Has this happened to anyone else?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Man, using the red sign soapstone is a fool's errand. All white phantom ganksquads. Or weird situations where some dingus has summoned like 3 red phantoms and for some reason the other red phantoms are killing eachother instead of the guy.

I put a red sign last night in Drangleic trying to get summoned by the Looking Glass Knight. Some guy summoned three red phantoms then immediately hopped onto the giant elevator.

I had the perfect view, I spawned directly in that room, and I saw him walk on and the elevator left before I gained control of myself. I couldn't even get mad at that, it was pretty funny.

I jumped into the hole as to not waste my time.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

This has probably been asked several times before, but the thread moves faster than I can keep up with it, so my apologies:

If I like maces but want something with a bit more range to it (so I don't have to be nearly hugging the enemy to hit it), what should I look out for?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

I like how the dragonrider greatshield looks but I don't really know if it sucks or not.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Drakekeeper Greatshield also looks slash is good.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Which one of you goons is named Cinder and is dressed like a butterfly?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ruggington posted:

You can but you don't get the opportunity to get a decent staff what might as well be the end of the game

It's not impossible, but you do need to game it a little. If you get your Faith up to 8 you can buy the Archdrake staff from Felkin, which is a very good midgame staff. If you don't want to waste those points you can respec afterwards using the soul vessel from the Majula mansion.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is the best way to kill the gargoyles just two-handed blitz?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

lightning works great and so does a 100% shield but blocking is kind of risky with so many around. Grab a gold pine resin or ooze or whatever and just go to town on them to keep their numbers down.

Vil posted:

This has probably been asked several times before, but the thread moves faster than I can keep up with it, so my apologies:

If I like maces but want something with a bit more range to it (so I don't have to be nearly hugging the enemy to hit it), what should I look out for?

Some kind of large club. If you like STR scaling the Large Club from the Lost Bastille is great, otherwise there's a Great Club in the Gutter.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Vil posted:

The basic club, and... that's it, really.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Demon of Song is kicking my rear end. I am the worst at video games. :smith:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

The Demon of Song is kicking my rear end. I am the worst at video games. :smith:

Demon of Song is a really easy boss. He has like two attacks: flop around, then flop around some more. Wait for it to open its face covering, then wait for it to start hitting the ground in front of it and after 2 (sometimes 3) attacks, move forward and hit it a few times. Sometimes it will raise straight up so dodge to the side a few times. Pretty much always dodge back and sideways away from it and everything will miss, including it's water spitting move.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I did some low level invading in the wharf for fun. One guy I invaded had a sunbro with him. The sunbro responded to me invading by using his black crystal to bail on the host, leaving him to die :lol:

RBA Starblade posted:

I like how the dragonrider greatshield looks but I don't really know if it sucks or not.

Determining if a shield is worth using is pretty simple. Follow this two step process;

1.) Does it have 100% physical block? If yes, its a good shield.
2.) If no, does it have some other quality going for it like really high magic resistance? If no again, then its worthless.

So it turns out most shields in this game are garbage :geno:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I did some low level invading in the wharf for fun. One guy I invaded had a sunbro with him. The sunbro responded to me invading by using his black crystal to bail on the host, leaving him to die :lol:

Determining if a shield is worth using is pretty simple. Follow this two step process;

2.) If no, does it have some other quality going for it like really high magic resistance? If no again, then its worthless.

In addition, "parrying shields" are actually worse at parrying than scimitars.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

26 Str will let you one-hand the large club. Get it to +3 and you can kill a gargoyle in 3 hits. More importantly, your first hit won't drop it below 50% health, so the next one won't spawn. IIRC, if you do a one-handed strong attack followed by a 2-handed strong attack, you'll kill it in those two hits, meaning that the only time you spawn another one is after you killed the first, so you're only ever (ideally) facing two and once.

Unless I totally misread that fight when I did it, another gargoyle spawns when one drops below 50% health, so eliminating them one at a time and/or focusing on any that has below that point is really the key.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Everything is garbage. Dodge dodge dodge.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, I just stuck with one of the 100% phys. resist kite shields on my first game, then moved to the throne defender's shield. I want to use a greatshield on my melee char in conjuction with greatswords/ultra-greatswords if I can ever figure out how to git gud with them.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

What build are you using? Personally, I just always try to keep close enough so that I never trigger the pounce attack, then I sneak one or two attacks while it opens the suit and finishes with the arm flails. It doesn't have a lot of health, so it works out pretty decently.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Appoda posted:

I don't know if these are in high demand, but I have a guy with a channeler's trident who doesn't need it at the very beginning of the game. I can meet up at the forest river and drop it for someone if they really want it.

E: also have an old whip for everyone who wants to do their belmont build.

Is this trident still up for grabs? I'd really like it, add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/SineSineSINE/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is Belfry Luna particularly laggy or something? I haven't had problems with random invasions but that place I can get backstabbed by people walking backwards through me.