Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Solitairica down to $2, well worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Odd question, but do any of you guys find ipad games that cannot be reoriented horizontally awkward? Like I want to play that FF record keeper game on ipad but it can only be played vertically. Is it weird to not want to play games that I can't lay sideways?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Odd question, but do any of you guys find ipad games that cannot be reoriented horizontally awkward? Like I want to play that FF record keeper game on ipad but it can only be played vertically. Is it weird to not want to play games that I can't lay sideways?

I find the opposite. I hate games that make me hold the top and bottom of my phone. A big plus to the DQ remakes was the vertical orientation.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I also prefer games that can be played in portrait mode. It just feels better to hold the device that way.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah I agree with portait mode for phones, but ipads I'm a bit of the opposite. I think it's cause I have that weird origami folding case for the ipad so i'm naturally inclined to have it landscape (while I'm lying in bed at night you can't judge me).

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Is there a Sorcery! megathread on SA? I couldn't find one in the first couple pages.

In any case, I just beat Sorcery 4 and what's the deal with (S3+S4 spoilers)the time beacons? In Sorcery 3 shining a beacon on an area would send that region to the past (turning ruins into a thriving village, for example), and at the end of the game a random guy states that the beacons are destructive weapons. I just chalked it up to Archmage propaganda but in S4 it's revealed that the beacons really do destroy whatever it's shining on (my S4 endgame screen said I destroyed Tinpang, even though present Tinpang is already gone). How does temporarily turning back time destroy the present day area?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

IncendiaC posted:

Is there a Sorcery! megathread on SA? I couldn't find one in the first couple pages.

In any case, I just beat Sorcery 4 and what's the deal with (S3+S4 spoilers)the time beacons? In Sorcery 3 shining a beacon on an area would send that region to the past (turning ruins into a thriving village, for example), and at the end of the game a random guy states that the beacons are destructive weapons. I just chalked it up to Archmage propaganda but in S4 it's revealed that the beacons really do destroy whatever it's shining on (my S4 endgame screen said I destroyed Tinpang, even though present Tinpang is already gone). How does temporarily turning back time destroy the present day area?

It's only a half truth. The purpose of the towers is to siphon "time" from the Badlands to the Archmage to give him near immortality. The player using the beacons speeds up the process a little but they would've done the same thing to the Badlands eventually anyway. I think the way it works is the towers exist in both times so when you turn on a beacon you "switch" the areas. So to the people in the past it looks like the beacon is destroying everything it's touching. And it might be permanent for them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bloody Pancreas posted:

There are tons of games made with a specific layout in mind. Hell most mobile games are probably fixed position.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I understand that some games may have good reason to only play in portrait or landscape. What really annoys me is when a game only supports one portrait or landscape orientation. If a game will only play with the iPad being held right-side-up, then I either don't have it plugged in or have the charge cable dig into my stomach.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The worst offender is Warhammer Quest which has the game played in landscape, then you have to turn to portrait to access your inventory

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Solitairica down to $2, well worth it

God damnit I literally bought this yesterday.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
GOTY catte butte simulator 2k16 updated a few days ago :ironicat::buttfame:

gotta get those buttes

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

This War of Mine is down to $4, from $15.

I played on a iPhone 6 and it worked fine. This is an excellent atmospheric rogue like with tense exploration and strategic crafting. I recommend going in blind for the best experience, then checking a guide for help with characters/crafting later.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
War of Mine is a great game, but my personal recommendation is that you do not play it anywhere public as the chances of you crying are high.

God help you if you bought the Little Ones DLC.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Kris xK posted:

War of Mine is a great game, but my personal recommendation is that you do not play it anywhere public as the chances of you crying are high.

God help you if you bought the Little Ones DLC.

And holy poo poo it is actually draining my battery faster than it can recharge (via usb). loving awesome game though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
wow is it just me or does this Plants VS Zombies card game seem pretty good? it's a straight up CCG without any bullshit like Clash Royale where you combine cards to level them up and poo poo. the lane mechanics are really interesting too

edit: the whole asymmetrical gameplay thing with the plants and zombies is neat too... not deep enough in yet to tell how much it wants to take your money but I really like this so far

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I've found a new Match 3 game to play: Good Knight Story. It's got some silly humor, bad puns, and like Dungeon Raid, you don't have to match in a straight line. It's as close to a new Dungeon Raid game as I've managed to find so far...

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Kheldarn posted:

I've found a new Match 3 game to play: Good Knight Story. It's got some silly humor, bad puns, and like Dungeon Raid, you don't have to match in a straight line. It's as close to a new Dungeon Raid game as I've managed to find so far...

Hey that's really good fun, good find!

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Anyone playing iRIUM? I was having a reasonably good time with it until the latest update when it just opens to a black screen forever.

I'm afraid to delete it and redownload because I don't remember if I linked my fb account or something.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

goferchan posted:

wow is it just me or does this Plants VS Zombies card game seem pretty good? it's a straight up CCG without any bullshit like Clash Royale where you combine cards to level them up and poo poo. the lane mechanics are really interesting too

edit: the whole asymmetrical gameplay thing with the plants and zombies is neat too... not deep enough in yet to tell how much it wants to take your money but I really like this so far

I'm enjoying it but the different currencies are confusing. One is for crafting, one is for normal packs and one is for rare packs? Is that the basic gist of it? Also there's an incredible diversity of zombies and plants, I feel like I must have missed a few games or something.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Dessert Rose posted:

Anyone playing iRIUM? I was having a reasonably good time with it until the latest update when it just opens to a black screen forever.

I'm afraid to delete it and redownload because I don't remember if I linked my fb account or something.

Downloading it right now to check it out, partly because its description on the app store is a hilarious mess of engrish, and partly to see if it works and what it's about.

E: server under maintenance. Oh well.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Is there a Plants vs Zombies: Heroes thread yet? Initial searching didn't bring up anything?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Kheldarn posted:

Enjoying this as well, thanks for the recommendation. Although it seems too easy. I imagine that'll change soon.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Halb

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There's no help for you, buddy.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Hebug posted:

I'm enjoying it but the different currencies are confusing. One is for crafting, one is for normal packs and one is for rare packs? Is that the basic gist of it? Also there's an incredible diversity of zombies and plants, I feel like I must have missed a few games or something.

Yeah the different currencies thing is annoying and I don't like it but that's my only real complaint against the game at this point ... no energy system and it doesn't have that clash royale bullshit where we both play the same card with the same mana cost except yours has more HP/Attack than mine because you spent money to buy packs and open duplicates and level it up -- it plays like a proper card game. Really there's just coins (easy to get, mostly give you common cards) and diamonds (from daily quests, spending money, winning ranked multiplayer games, buys better packs with more rare cards) -- the third "currency" just works like dust in Hearthstone if you've played that, you can break down cards you don't want/have extras of and use it to craft cards you can actually use.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

God damnit I literally bought this yesterday.

Don't worry, it's well worth full price. I've been playing it exclusively for weeks now. I've beaten the king with all characters but keep going back for more :(

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

is this fifty shades of grey

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

TraderStav posted:

Enjoying this as well, thanks for the recommendation. Although it seems too easy. I imagine that'll change soon.

Yeah around level 35ish there are far fewer shield tiles available - they obviously want you to spend your coinage on the (very expensive) power-ups.

Also, it keeps crashing during video ads. Probably deleting it.

monkeytennis fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 21, 2016

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Concrete Jungle is an excellent game. I got it based off PocketTactics' 5 star review (http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-concrete-jungle/) and it has been a gem.

It has a board game feel where you build up city blocks to score point using a card deck. Putting a school next to houses will score lots of points, but placing a chemical plant next to a mansion loses points. But chemical plants allow you to buy more cards to strengthen your deck, so maybe put it off to the side?

There is excellent mission and character variety. The basic game is building up your own city, but there is a well designed versus mode against the computer taking turns building on the same map. This is challenging without being frustrating, and is a great way to learn different character strengths and weaknesses. The farmer is excellent at building up city blocks, but has trouble buying new cards. The mayor has strong attacks, but hits a wall on point generation.

The game is $5 with no in-app purchases, which I appreciate. One tiny quibble is I haven't found a way to listen to podcasts while playing, hopefully that will be patched. And some of the upgrade icons are tiny on a iPhone, but the main map looks great. A strong recommend.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Concrete Jungle

It's real good, but a word of warning: the difficulty shoots up FAST when you start getting into the competitive urban planning stages. The AI is pretty cutthroat, and is really good at making massive last-second comebacks in the last few rows.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

I've been in this crummy malaise all afternoon and evening, and I just want to say that this helped. A lot.

But not like in a pervy way.

I had a good chuckle, I mean.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
My first thought was that you'd been nauseous all afternoon and reading that allowed you to finally throw up.

Speaking of nauseating, for everyone who got addicted to Egg Inc., Make More is a bit in the same vein, in that it's an idle/clicker and the complete antithesis of what games are supposed to be. So don't try it. If you do try it, don't get hooked.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

monkeytennis posted:

Yeah around level 35ish there are far fewer shield tiles available - they obviously want you to spend your coinage on the (very expensive) power-ups.

Also, it keeps crashing during video ads. Probably deleting it.
Me too. Enemy suddenly have more hp and can one shot you if you don't have shield around lv 35.

The lv up choice is also: +1 def, +5 atk, or +1 hp. Which compelled me to become a glass cannon but still can't outmatch the enemy hp that leaps to 2k around lv 35.

The weapon that the king gifted is crappier than what i am using, and i thought it might become great if i upgrade it, but no, it's junk.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Anyone else really enjoying Eggggg? IMO this is the best platformer on iOS since Leo's Fourtune.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

This is rad. I love Dungeon Raid but it is in dire need of an update to fix all the crashing issues from later iOS updates.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Po.. Post more please

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Kheldarn posted:

Yes, this is good. Thank you for your service to the thread.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

It's real good, but a word of warning: the difficulty shoots up FAST when you start getting into the competitive urban planning stages. The AI is pretty cutthroat, and is really good at making massive last-second comebacks in the last few rows.

I agree the AI is tough, but they seem to be at their weakest in the final rows. In my most recent game the AI started building houses past the victory row and wasting their turns. Not game breaking but I hope that gets patched as it was kinda giving me a lot of free moves to get critical points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

HerStuddMuffin posted:

My first thought was that you'd been nauseous all afternoon and reading that allowed you to finally throw up.

Speaking of nauseating, for everyone who got addicted to Egg Inc., Make More is a bit in the same vein, in that it's an idle/clicker and the complete antithesis of what games are supposed to be. So don't try it. If you do try it, don't get hooked.

At least with Make More, it seems like idling outpaces tapping in fairly short order. I am waiting for my second factory to be built, but even the random bonuses only give a slight boost. I think it is still in the early check every 30 minutes, but at least without paying money I can idle for up to 6 hours before maxing out. And it is still able to increase with regular currency.