Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Getting really excited for this, for some reason. I haven't really followed any of the coverage of this game, but Fallout is something I could really play right now. What's the deal with the base building stuff? Has Beth stated whether or not that stuff is mandatory or ignorable?

Gonna loosen up my spurs in advance so they turbo jingle jangle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I'm making this up entirely on the spot, but I'm gonna go ahead and guess that there's one point in the main quest that introduces you to the settlement mechanic and makes you build a garage or something, and after that it's more or less optional.

It's also one of the new features I'm most excited for.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Caesar: Anybody can become angry - that is easy, but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is not easy.
John Fallout: HATE NEWSPAPERS

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Generation Internet posted:

They actually seem to have taken this approach with Fo4. I remember listening to one of the talks they gave and they mentioned that different parts of the world have different atmospheres. A lot of it is clean air blue sky and all that jazz, but apparently there's also a ground zero area that's more like Fo3.
You can see the ground zero area in the E3 trailer. It's all yellowish and the trees are bent over at an angle away from where the blast was.

Though I have to wonder why they didn't burn down completely.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

They said the settlement building is optional yeah.

According to the people at Prima Games you can put wheels on your house and drive it around.

http://www.primagames.com/games/fallout-4/feature/fallout-4-crafting-system-scavenge-and-create

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

marktheando posted:

According to the people at Prima Games you can put wheels on your house and drive it around.
Everyone hop on board my post-apocalyptic Winnebago.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

marktheando posted:

They said the settlement building is optional yeah.

http://www.primagames.com/games/fallout-4/feature/fallout-4-crafting-system-scavenge-and-create
That's just speculation. There is no way the game would allow that.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Inverness posted:

It does sound really unlikely, but these are the people who make the official strategy guide, so...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Inverness posted:

Even if it does I bet the house can't leave the settlement/construction plot.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Nope, it's now canon I can use my souped-up hover Winnebago to run over Deathclaws (you could have called them something imaginative neo-Americans, but nooo, loving Deathclaws). Going to put a bunch of spikes on the front, perforate some raiders.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

There's a drat good chance it would be buggy as hell, but so long as you couldn't enter the regular house without settling it, I could see it working. On the other hand, they very specifically said there would be no driveable cars and that's an odd half-truth to tell.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

marktheando posted:

It does sound really unlikely, but these are the people who make the official strategy guide, so...

Mokinokaro posted:

Just to clarify it's literal speculation, phrased as a question:

quote:

Anyone can create a basic house, but can you create a house that lights up, with wheels and a steering column so you can drive it around as you travel through the area?
The answer to that question simply based on the complexity involved in such a thing is a flat: no.

I'd like to go full Howl's Moving Castle too but it's not happening.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Inverness posted:

Just to clarify it's literal speculation, phrased as a question:

The answer to that question simply based on the complexity involved in such a thing is a flat: no.

I'd like to go full Howl's Moving Castle too but it's not happening.

Modders will do it, then you'll be able to gently caress your wheelbarrow house too.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Or we get a Van we can use for fast travel and sleep in.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Caesar: As fire when thrown into water is cooled down and put out, so also a false accusation when brought against a man of the purest and holiest character, boils over and is at once dissipated, and vanishes and threats of heaven and sea, himself standing unmoved.
John Fallout: YOU'RE A MUTT

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

He doesn't know what newspaper she works for, though, which means that choosing that option doesn't mean he hates a particular organization, he hates the concept of newspapers. That's a totally fine and justifiable thing to do, but to bring it up arbitrarily a few lines into a conversation? That's some alien-masquerading-as-a-person poo poo

Except he didn't bring it up arbitrarily. She directly asks him, "Do you support the news?"

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Inverness posted:

You can see the ground zero area in the E3 trailer. It's all yellowish and the trees are bent over at an angle away from where the blast was.

In the game's lore, I think, just as the integrated circuit was never developed so also were thermonuclear and hydrogen warheads never conceived. The low yield warheads from simple single stage fission bombs would leave behind a lot of mostly intact structures/trees at a distance from ground zero.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Caesar: We are motivated by a keen desire for praise, and the better a man is the more he is inspired by glory. The very philosophers themselves, even in those books which they write in contempt of glory, inscribe their names.
John Fallout: Vault-Tec?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Joshua: "By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion. Remember, O Lord, the children of Edom in the day of Jerusalem who said, "Raze it, raze it, even to the foundation." O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed. Happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us."

Do you know what it means?

Mr. Fallout 4: SUPPORT NEWS

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Since the game surely has subtitles for all the dialog for the hear impaired, I'll bet a savvy modder could write a script to trawl through all the conversation trees and replace 'HATE NEWSPAPERS' with the first 25 or 30 characters of it's corresponding dialog. Then you slap on a scrolling choose dialog UI and we're comfortably back to FO1/2/3/NV. You could even write a fairly smart script to break off the line at a full stop punctuation followed by a space and then a capital letter if it can.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Dad: I just wanted to say... I wanted to say that I'm proud of you. You're a good person, and it shows.
Caesar: A system of morality which is based on relative emotional values is a mere illusion, a thoroughly vulgar conception which has nothing sound in it and nothing true.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

OlmanRiver posted:

Almost 40% off on funstock

http://funstockdigital.co.uk/fallout-4-steam-key-pc-download

enter code OCT-COUPMAIL-PRE25 on checkout.

So this + the season pass comes out to $70. Ugh idk if I want to dump that much into the game yet...

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Nevets posted:

Since the game surely has subtitles for all the dialog for the hear impaired, I'll bet a savvy modder could write a script to trawl through all the conversation trees and replace 'HATE NEWSPAPERS' with the first 25 or 30 characters of it's corresponding dialog. Then you slap on a scrolling choose dialog UI and we're comfortably back to FO1/2/3/NV. You could even write a fairly smart script to break off the line at a full stop punctuation followed by a space and then a capital letter if it can.

I'm more intrested in a mod that makes it so that the dialogue previews on the wheel are exactly what the Fallout 4 dude says.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

closeted republican posted:

I'm more intrested in a mod that makes it so that the dialogue previews on the wheel are exactly what the Fallout 4 dude says.

Then maybe you should re-read my post because that's exactly what it would do.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Nevets posted:

Then maybe you should re-read my post because that's exactly what it would do.

Actually, I think what he wants is something like:

(B) HATE NEWSPAPERS

John Fallout: HATE NEWSPAPERS!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

(B) HATE NEWSPAPERS

John Fallout: stays silent, head rotates.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I do hate newspapers, they are all awful. So that is the option I will be choosing.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
GUTENBERG :argh:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sjonnar posted:

Actually, I think what he wants is something like:

(B) HATE NEWSPAPERS

John Fallout: HATE NEWSPAPERS!

So they will have dialogue for low intelligence characters?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

http://www.destructoid.com/fallout-4-running-solid-30-fps-on-ps4-xbox-one-316304.phtml
Surprising nobody, I expect.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
But will it run 30fps on PC?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

MariusLecter posted:

The $1000 question we all actually know the answer to because we are jaded and cynical.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

The answer to that is most likely: You better hope it stays nice and low at 30, because at higher fps the physics will go haywire.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

No, they tweeted that PC will not be limited

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I think I will run the gamble on this game not requiring intelligence and make my character without any. Ill play it like fallout: Encino Man because how intelligent would a frozen person be?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Bethesda is scared to incur the wrath of the FPS police.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Bholder posted:

No, they tweeted that PC will not be limited

Link to tweet?! I refuse to believe it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Getting really excited for this, for some reason. I haven't really followed any of the coverage of this game, but Fallout is something I could really play right now. What's the deal with the base building stuff? Has Beth stated whether or not that stuff is mandatory or ignorable?

Gonna loosen up my spurs in advance so they turbo jingle jangle.

In the announcement trailer they said it would be totally optional.

Inverness posted:

The shockwave from a nuclear blast extends far past the fireball.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Pwnstar posted:

Caesar: We are motivated by a keen desire for praise, and the better a man is the more he is inspired by glory. The very philosophers themselves, even in those books which they write in contempt of glory, inscribe their names.
John Fallout: Vault-Tec?
Caesar: You still don't get it! I'm using war as a business to get elected! So I can end war as a business...In my new America, people will die and kill...for what they believe! Not for money -- Not for oil -- Not for what they're told is right! Every man will be free to fight his own wars! Hah...so, what do you think?..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Such a lust for newspapers! WHOOOOOO

• Locked thread