Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

OK thats dumb, I could have sworn it said 4.7 boost but you are right. Most i've seen is around 4.4Ghz. Im not that familiar with AMD overclocking. Can you just tell the CPU to run max boost clocks or is that only for Intels?

afaik the various boost algorithms in 3xxx CPUs are already supposed to maximize the horsepower you're getting for your given availability of power delivery and thermal headroom versus the load you're putting on it

Intel CPUs are manually overclocked by people to run at a given speed all the time because the ability of the CPU to detect when it can safely run a higher clock isn't as... advanced? as AMD's is, which the Zen 2's are built from the ground-up to be able to maximize themselves without requiring the user to tinker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
OK. I wont worry too much. This system is very fast, no need to go crazy.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

redeyes posted:

OK thats dumb, I could have sworn it said 4.7 boost but you are right. Most i've seen is around 4.4Ghz. Im not that familiar with AMD overclocking. Can you just tell the CPU to run max boost clocks or is that only for Intels?

I'm no expert but, properly cooled, it should hit boost clocks on it own. The 4.6 figure really is only for single core workloads though. All core is only 4.0, with anything >1 core being between the two. Per AMDs rep on Reddit "4.3GHz peak for light threading, to around 4GHz for all-cores." And they don't make any promise that it will hold that boost, if it hits it for a few milliseconds that's good enough for them. It's lovely marketing any way you cut it, but unless you're only hitting 4.4 while running a specifically single core benchmark you're probably in spec.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

redeyes posted:

Everything just worked swapping the HD between my 8700K and this thing.

Honest question, as the last time I used Windows the current version was 3.11: is this really a thing?

I've seen people refer to swapping CPUs (where both CPUs are x86_64 variants) requiring an OS reinstall a few times in the past year or so. I initially thought it was just goons being goons; either being ridiculous for the sake of being ridiculous, or making reference to some piece of forums hilarity that I missed out on. But mostly, it seems to be treated as an actual issue.

From my point of view, moving from an Intel microarch to an AMD one is no different than moving to one Intel uarch to another. They all differ from each other underneath the microcode that implements the x86_64 ISA, and the OS shouldn't care about those differences.

I can see not having a new enough kernel to recognize just-released CPUIDs, or missing the most recent errata and mitigations. But that's an update issue not a reinstall issue -- and it's good practice to be up to date on kernel and drivers before upgrading your hardware anyway, yeah?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mdxi posted:

Honest question, as the last time I used Windows the current version was 3.11: is this really a thing?

FWIW when I switched my OS-carrying drive from a Xeon E5-2430v2 to an Athlon 200ge it wouldn't boot and I had to do a full reinstall, but that was going from a 2014 Intel Ivy Bridge with DDR3 to a 2018 AMD Zen with DDR4

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mdxi posted:

I've seen people refer to swapping CPUs (where both CPUs are x86_64 variants) requiring an OS reinstall a few times in the past year or so. I initially thought it was just goons being goons; either being ridiculous for the sake of being ridiculous, or making reference to some piece of forums hilarity that I missed out on. But mostly, it seems to be treated as an actual issue.

From my point of view, moving from an Intel microarch to an AMD one is no different than moving to one Intel uarch to another. They all differ from each other underneath the microcode that implements the x86_64 ISA, and the OS shouldn't care about those differences.

I can see not having a new enough kernel to recognize just-released CPUIDs, or missing the most recent errata and mitigations. But that's an update issue not a reinstall issue -- and it's good practice to be up to date on kernel and drivers before upgrading your hardware anyway, yeah?

The first thing you need to do is make sure the HD driver is the generic MS ACHI one. If you swap a board with Intel and the actual chipset drivers installed for the sata controller it will just bluescreen on boot looking for the controller. Occasionally you might have some specific drivers that prevent booting. It works most of the time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ItBreathes posted:

there was some hooplah about them not hitting their rated speed a while back

redeyes posted:

Most i've seen is around 4.4Ghz.

short version: If you get a weak chip, it only hits the rated single-core boost speed for a tiny fraction of a second during the crazy max-boost that ryzens do when going from idle to load. Turn your polling speed up to 100ms on hwinfo64 and wiggle your mouse around on an idle desktop to see a very useless 4.6ghz being achieved.

The 3900X is probably the worst for this because there's only 1 SKU of the 12 core, so they can't bin them for speed. I guess if they can't hit 4.6 they'd have to disable an entire chiplet and sell it as a 3700? IDK if that even works. So it's probably the worst Ryzen for getting technically not false advertising boost clocks.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

mdxi posted:

The generic answer is that its been a reasonable expectation since the later years of Windows 7/AHCI/SSDs. I've never personally had a problem doing this between platforms AMD/Intel/Desktop/Server in win10 or Server 16 and later.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Klyith posted:

The 3900X is probably the worst for this because there's only 1 SKU of the 12 core, so they can't bin them for speed. I guess if they can't hit 4.6 they'd have to disable an entire chiplet and sell it as a 3700? IDK if that even works. So it's probably the worst Ryzen for getting technically not false advertising boost clocks.

What is the best Ryzen for getting the clocks anyhow? I'm planning to take my current 3600 and turn it into a home server, and drop in a better chip in my desktop - I'd like some more cores in general.

I'm not sure the 3950X is worth ~70% more than the 3900X (at current prices in Norway).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

dorkanoid posted:

What is the best Ryzen for getting the clocks anyhow? I'm planning to take my current 3600 and turn it into a home server, and drop in a better chip in my desktop - I'd like some more cores in general.

I'm not sure the 3950X is worth ~70% more than the 3900X (at current prices in Norway).

The 3950X (or threadrippers) is the best overall clocker but it's not worth the premium AMD currently wants for it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

dorkanoid posted:

Because CPUs now are self-regulating their boost clocks in adaptive ways, to some extent everyone is playing silicon lottery even with stock settings.

If you want high clocks you can get a good mobo, a really good cooling solution, and see if you get over 4.3ghz sustained single-core at stock settings. Or buy two 3900Xes, try out both of them, and return the one that sucks. A 10% restock fee is a lot less than a 3950X.

Or you can just relax and ignore it because if you aren't looking at hwinfo readouts there's zero chance you can tell the difference between 4.3 and 4.4 ghz. It's a 2% difference.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I left HWinfo on for a few hours and see 4541Mhz max. Seems ok then! Tems on this chip are so so low. Blows my mind. I haven't broken 65c doing any normal stuff.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

redeyes posted:

I left HWinfo on for a few hours and see 4541Mhz max. Seems ok then! Tems on this chip are so so low. Blows my mind. I haven't broken 65c doing any normal stuff.

What about when you do abnormal stuff?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

What about when you do abnormal stuff?

Normal being some gaming, desktop crap, encoding some video. What would be abnormal?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Prime 95 Small FFT with AVX on

ufarn
May 30, 2009
A more regular activity that absolutely fries your CPU is running OCR on PDFs.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Klyith posted:

Because CPUs now are self-regulating their boost clocks in adaptive ways, to some extent everyone is playing silicon lottery even with stock settings.

If you want high clocks you can get a good mobo, a really good cooling solution, and see if you get over 4.3ghz sustained single-core at stock settings. Or buy two 3900Xes, try out both of them, and return the one that sucks. A 10% restock fee is a lot less than a 3950X.

Or you can just relax and ignore it because if you aren't looking at hwinfo readouts there's zero chance you can tell the difference between 4.3 and 4.4 ghz. It's a 2% difference.

But...but...my frames?!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

100mhz isn't going to make a big difference in frames, RAM has more headroom if you want to push your Ryzen system.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Half Life: Alyx finally broke me after my i5 3570k system faceplanted with it. It's possible i could smooth it out by adding more ram, but I've been itching for while to upgrade anyways since its been 8 years. I should have plently of GPU with a GTX1080, so I can only assume I'm hitting a CPU or ram bottleneck. To that end, I have a 3700x incoming. Yeah, I could have saved some money with the 3600, but since I go so long between core system upgrades I'm just going to add the two extra cores and call it a day.

Just kinda annoying waiting for Alyx to release only to find that it's dropping too many frames to really enjoy until I upgrade. Hopefully no weird part delays.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

I went from a 3570k to a 3900x and it really did make quite a difference in VR. Even some older games that are hard on the CPU got a lot better, for example GTAV used to be seriously choppy but is perfectly smooth with the 3900x.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Considering the curve that VR brings I'd hope y'all aren't too broken up about running rigs for...10? years without an upgrade. When has that ever happened like, ever in computing?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, it did get 1 upgrade, a GTX 1080 replacing a GTX 460.

But yeah, I got my mileage out of the system. It was still going strong for the most part. But I'm probably only getting about 25-40fps with Alyx with much lower dips and that's just a straight up NOPE in VR.

Nothing else from a VR perspective has taxed it so hard.

The 8gb of ram I have is probably a large factor in that (since Alyx has a minimum of 12gb as a requirement), but I couldn't get myself to drop $40 into this aging system to bump it to 16 without knowing ahead of time if it would make the difference.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

bull3964 posted:

Well, it did get 1 upgrade, a GTX 1080 replacing a GTX 460.

But yeah, I got my mileage out of the system. It was still going strong for the most part. But I'm probably only getting about 25-40fps with Alyx with much lower dips and that's just a straight up NOPE in VR.

Nothing else from a VR perspective has taxed it so hard.

The 8gb of ram I have is probably a large factor in that (since Alyx has a minimum of 12gb as a requirement), but I couldn't get myself to drop $40 into this aging system to bump it to 16 without knowing ahead of time if it would make the difference.

For a computer that old if you are thinking of adding RAM it's probably time to just upgrade the CPU and motherboard too. Which, sounds like you did since I don't think they use the same RAM anyway.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Crunchy Black posted:

Considering the curve that VR brings I'd hope y'all aren't too broken up about running rigs for...10? years without an upgrade. When has that ever happened like, ever in computing?

Not for awhile. Building the 3960X Threadripper rig for myself at work has finally shown me how long in the tooth my 2600K has gotten especially considering my hideous levels of multi-tasking / open browser tabs. Granted some of my issues are likely stemming from a broken Win10 install, but starting to think about upgrading at home.

The Intel fanboy in me is still willing to hold out for their (perhaps) return to the top of the crown, but I think I'm doing a HEDT rig next.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

pixaal posted:

For a computer that old if you are thinking of adding RAM it's probably time to just upgrade the CPU and motherboard too. Which, sounds like you did since I don't think they use the same RAM anyway.

Well yeah, full gut replacement. 3700x, 32gb of ram, motherboard choice was a bit limited right now due to supply shortages and the fact that I wanted ITX so I ended up with an ASRock Fatal1ty X470 mini ITX board. It gets decent enough reviews, likely wouldn't have been my first choice but pretty much everything is out of stock. Eventually this will all go into a Sliger 560 case whenever it ships, but if that gets delayed I'll plop it into my midtower for now.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/AMD/status/1242833026998054914

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Geez what's that all about

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
There was a 'github leak' where some intern doing testing of (possibly) ps5, xBoneSx and navi10 IP made the repository public. But it was just test results. It leaked some clocks and CU counts, but that's surely not the loving source code to the GPUs.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

karoshi posted:

There was a 'github leak' where some intern doing testing of (possibly) ps5, xBoneSx and navi10 IP made the repository public. But it was just test results. It leaked some clocks and CU counts, but that's surely not the loving source code to the GPUs.

Doesn't seem like that could be what they're talking about if AMD is making public announcements and saying they're contacting law enforcement.

Anyways with the upcoming consoles, I'd guess AMD would have to send out source and other proprietary stuff to MS & Sony and from there to who knows.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

karoshi posted:

I mean, if testbenches or similar verification stuff leaked, that would certainly not be ideal but holy poo poo if they are (really, any company with IP) using loving GitHub to store their poo poo, even on their enterprise plans. Semiconductor IP is valuable and I've heard stories of the security measures guarding their GDS-II / mask sets when it gets to that point. Literally the sauce.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

karoshi posted:

its way more than just test results, supposedly. the leaker is trying to sell it lol.

https://torrentfreak.com/amd-uses-dmca-to-mitigate-massive-gpu-source-code-leak-200325/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

looking forward to the wave of "new" chinese gpus in a year that just happen to work with amds drivers for some reason

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Probably more like three years but yeah, you can guarantee beyond any doubt that China is going to do whatever they can to use this as a basis for designing domestic GPUs.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It's even got plausible deniability since targeting their open source drivers would be a reasonable way to jumpstart your new gfx card biz

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
"It's pure coincidence our TMU's error patterns exactly match AMDs'."

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Do these people know they are commenting on Torrent Freak? lmao

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

One seeder: Jesus.