Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's a possibility that IO will grant us a ChromeOS tablet in the size range. That is the future of the form factor.

Android tablets are dead and buried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ROJO posted:

I'm in the same camp of really wanting to replace my Nexus 7 but not liking any of the available options. Galaxy Tab S2 is definitely on my list, and i would already have pulled the trigger if it looked like it had better ROM support - but I might just suck it up and deal with the samsung touchwiz junk to get a better tablet with more battery life.

The Tab s2 (atleast the 2016 8" wifi) has official lineageos 15.1 (android 8.1)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I've been doing some research and my discovery is no, there is not. I'm guessing you're want updates for development purposes and aren't looking to actually use it which makes it difficult because as far as I can tell with the dropping of the Pixel C there are no official Google-supported tablets at all.

The ones I've been looking at (admittedly the larger ones rather than the 7" size) have severe limitations like they don't work on 5GHz networks and have capacitive buttons which suck to use rather than on screen ones. They're also all on Marshmallow or maybe Nougat if you're lucky.
It's actually not for me, I still have a Pixel C and that'll do me fine at least until P shows up.

I just don't really want to recommend something that never gets security or OS updates and the user is used to Motorola and Nexus devices so I'm not going to suggest anything with a horrible Samsung UI on it.

I guess the tablet market is just so tiny that nobody cares. Including Google.

bull3964 posted:

There's a possibility that IO will grant us a ChromeOS tablet in the size range. That is the future of the form factor.

Google don't announce hardware at I/O any more so this seems very unlikely. But the idea is an interesting one and sure, maybe something will show up this year some time.

In this particular case the usage is really just browsing so ChromeOS would work totally fine.

I assume there is no such device currently? I think the smallest Chromebook I've seen is like 10in and it probably had a keyboard attached.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 11, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2018/1/26/16935710/acer-chrome-os-tablet-sneak-preview

Keyboardless ChromeOS devices are coming.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So when Android stops becoming a thing, what OS will Amazon use to power its tablets?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

They've already pretty much forked Android, so I can't see them shifting any time soon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, Android is going to continue to exist for phones, it's not like Amazon was basing FireOS on a tablet specific build of Android or anything.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunga posted:

I assume there is no such device currently? I think the smallest Chromebook I've seen is like 10in and it probably had a keyboard attached.

There have been hybrid ChromeOS devices designed to be fully functional in keyboard-less mode for a while now, at the very least.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Don Lapre posted:

The Tab s2 (atleast the 2016 8" wifi) has official lineageos 15.1 (android 8.1)

Oh really? Nice! I must have missed that in my searching somehow :doh:

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

bull3964 posted:

1. The Oreo CDD added "Android Tablet Device" as a distinct device type from "Android Handheld" for the first time ever.

2. The "Android Enterprise Recommended" thingie they released late last month references tablets:

https://androidenterprisepartners.withgoogle.com/

Also part of the entry conditions is "Standard AOSP strings": https://www.android.com/intl/en_us/enterprise/recommended/requirements/

3. The head of product for Chrome OS denied outright to The Verge at IO 2017 that they're taking Chrome OS in an Android-first direction, and intends it to be a secondary platform to the Web:

quote:

But even when Google finally does “go big” and take Android apps out of beta, the company isn’t going to try to get users to abandon web apps. Even when Android apps are working better, many of them simply aren’t going to look great on a big screen. Some will still default to a phone size and Google will pop up a warning to users to resize them. Others simply just can’t compete with web versions of the same. "I don't ever expect anybody to use the Android version of Facebook on this,” says Liu. “Because the web version is much better."

quote:

Liu says that it was “not our vision at all” to have users drop web apps for Android apps on Chrome OS wholesale. They’re still largely meant to be things that fill in gaps that web apps can’t fill: like games, downloading Netflix movies, and those weird edge cases. Right now, half of the top ten most used Android apps on Chromebooks are games.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/18/15659364/chromebook-pro-android-beta-release-date-features-io-2017

4. Made by Google went through the effort of creating a unique PIXEL_TABLET_EXPERIENCE flag/build system for the Pixel C when they Pixified it from Stock Android (which it has in addition to same the PIXEL_EXPERIENCE flag the phones have) suggesting they plan to reuse it. Plus there's this quote from the editiorial Osterloh did with Wired last month:

quote:

“Eventually, it will be the case that users probably have a constellation of devices to get things done,” Osterloh says. Google’s definitely thinking about tablets, definitely thinking about augmented-reality glasses, definitely thinking about wearables, and many more. But Osterloh speaks of “earning the right” to chase the buyers of those devices, of wanting to prove his team’s viability in existing markets.

https://www.wired.com/story/one-mans-quest-to-make-googles-gadgets-great/

Mentioning tablets as a market he hasn't entered is strange if Chrome OS in its current iteration was the endgame as Pixelbook would count.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's been NOTHING though. No devices for over two years. No leaks. No hints. Nadda.

Even "I poo poo out 20 devices a year" Samsung is ignoring tablets.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I mean if they want to move towards the Windows 10 hybrid thing where you can toggle between Chrome OS and Android mode with ease on a tablet like Windows users can with Desktop/Tablet mode, that would be great

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's no need to toggle on ChromeOS. It just runs Android apps normally.

You flip a ChromeOS convertible into tablet mode and it's basically an Android tablet with full chrome.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

There have been hybrid ChromeOS devices designed to be fully functional in keyboard-less mode for a while now, at the very least.
But they're all 10" or bigger, right? There is no Nexus 7 equivalent.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tunga posted:

But they're all 10" or bigger, right? There is no Nexus 7 equivalent.

It kind of feels like a 6" phone is the new 7" tablet. I used my Nexus 7 less when I got a Nexus 6, but after upgrading to a pixel I wandered back in here to see if there was anything that filled that same space. Nexus 7 is still going strong after a battery replacement but it's pretty slow compared to new phones, etc.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think the 8" tablet like the Shield or the Kindle 8 or Tab A took the smallest tablet default from the Nexus 7, it's much more usable and barely larger due to the N7's giant bezels.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 12, 2018

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rexxed posted:

It kind of feels like a 6" phone is the new 7" tablet. I used my Nexus 7 less when I got a Nexus 6, but after upgrading to a pixel I wandered back in here to see if there was anything that filled that same space. Nexus 7 is still going strong after a battery replacement but it's pretty slow compared to new phones, etc.
Yeah, this is exactly the situation. If you don't want to carry a huge phone around there's no good option for couch browsing around that size.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Yeah, this is exactly the situation. If you don't want to carry a huge phone around there's no good option for couch browsing around that size.

There is the option of just using a giant phone as a tablet.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

There is the option of just using a giant phone as a tablet.
This is a rather expensive option though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tunga posted:

This is a rather expensive option though.

It doesn't have to be. There's a reasonable selection of slightly older hardware in large cheap phones out there, and you can get the devices for like $200-$350. Considering the Nexus 7s were $250, it's not so bad a price range and some of them are like 6.5 inch screens.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Xiaomi Mi Max 2 has a 6.4" screen and 5300mAh battery (compared to the Nexus 7's 3900mAh). I think it's a good replacement for around 200€. SD625 and 4gb, 32/64Gb storage and SD card.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Finally got the Galaxy S2 and loved it until I was watching Netflix today and found out about black crush and now I hate everything

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Looks like my 2013 N7 has finally given up the ghost. What's my best choice for a reasonably priced bedside Netflix/web browsing machine at this point? (If the answer is "a big phone", I've got an old Nexus 6 I'm not using as a phone any more that will probably be my interim option til it dies).

I'm guessing otherwise I'm looking at some flavor of Amazon tablet?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

docbeard posted:

Looks like my 2013 N7 has finally given up the ghost. What's my best choice for a reasonably priced bedside Netflix/web browsing machine at this point? (If the answer is "a big phone", I've got an old Nexus 6 I'm not using as a phone any more that will probably be my interim option til it dies).

Yup. Fire HD 8, probably, or if you want to "splurge," Fire HD 10.

Personally, I think the HD 10 is worth it, but I got in on a Black Friday sale for $100.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Can you root Fire/Nook devices to get normal android on them?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

RFC2324 posted:

Old ones, not new ones

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

docbeard posted:

Refurb'd Fire HDX tablets are a nice substitute for the N7. The 7" HDX is around $75 when it shows up on Woot.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Guillermus posted:

The Xiaomi Mi Max 2 has a 6.4" screen and 5300mAh battery (compared to the Nexus 7's 3900mAh). I think it's a good replacement for around 200€. SD625 and 4gb, 32/64Gb storage and SD card.

The first gen and second gen Mi Max with global ROM are wonderful phones for tablet duty with some crazy battery life. I got mine for USD 180 in Asia without contract.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RFC2324 posted:

FWIW, as media consumption devices the OS doesn't really matter too much.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

docbeard posted:

For Netflix literally anything. I'm using a Pantech Element (a Waterproof tablet from 2012 that's still on Honeycomb) https://www.cnet.com/products/pantech-element-at-t/review/. Hilariously it has an easier time running Netflix then local media stored on the device.

You can't use it to read web pages, often even a single web page in chrome will overwhelm the 1gb of ram and cause a crash.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Do i need to do anything special to get my new amazon fire hd to work like a standard android tablet? i already installed firefox using the apk so i can browse with ublock. will it play stuff like mkv files easily?

its the first time i've had a tablet

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jose posted:

Do i need to do anything special to get my new amazon fire hd to work like a standard android tablet? i already installed firefox using the apk so i can browse with ublock. will it play stuff like mkv files easily?

its the first time i've had a tablet

Nah, just install apps and use them to do things.

You can install the regular Google Play Store so you're not stuck with the limited selection of often out-of-date apps on the Amazon store.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
Posting from my Fire, which still doesn't behave like a real android tablet, but there are a bunch of YouTube videos on how to install the play store and get real apps that way.

The crap launcher is ever-present though.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

MarsellusWallace posted:

The crap launcher is ever-present though.

Only technically though. Launcher hijack lets you use any launcher you want.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I don't know much about the CPU and I know nothing about the company..."Chuwi", but this might be a decent tablet a step above the Fire stuff.

10" 2560x1600 IPS
MediaTek HelioX20
4GB RAM
64GB storage
Oreo

Less than $250 USD

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know much about the CPU and I know nothing about the company..."Chuwi", but this might be a decent tablet a step above the Fire stuff.

10" 2560x1600 IPS
MediaTek HelioX20
4GB RAM
64GB storage
Oreo

Less than $250 USD

That CPU and GPU are roughly comparable to the Samsung Galaxy S7 phone, maybe a little bit slower. Not the best you could have gotten at this point but it should be a step above the current Fire devices.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Huawei has launched the Mediapad M5 tablet series. It's on Android 8 and unlike the M3 has dual-band wifi. Not cheap however.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've been pretty happy with my Kindle fire HD 8 after I got the play store, launcher hijacker, and nova launcher. Posting from it right now, actually. I do have to occasionally reboot it when loading anything starts taking forever (presumably a memory leak somewhere).

Did also get an elastic hand strap to hold it one handed easier.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

fishmech posted:

That CPU and GPU are roughly comparable to the Samsung Galaxy S7 phone, maybe a little bit slower. Not the best you could have gotten at this point but it should be a step above the current Fire devices.

Well, except Mediatek drivers are nowhere near as optimized as Qualcomm and Exynos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Some Alexa devices (Fire tablets included) are 20% off at Amazon today only

Fire HD 8 - $59.99
Fire 7 - $39.99
Fire HD 10 - $119.99