Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Spaceship bumper stickers, including the one from Spaceballs: "We brake for nobody"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Space Truck Nuts.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Please design encounters using inspiration from old Star Trek episode away missions.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

The ability to blow someone out an airlock/blow up a section of the ship and have the inhabitants thrown into space.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
Every planet landing spawns a random roguelike, with starting parameters/loadouts determined by the away team crew member's stats/gear

Amulets of Yendor are a key ingredient in ancient unlimited power systems

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
This is a ludicrous request but I always loved EV nova and its multiple mutually exclusive plots that you trigger by blundering into them, so please include something like that.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

A quest featuring a horrific encounter with a blind and scarred Sam Neil.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Amazing technicolor hot space babes (and hunks) to romance.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I demand it have a decontamination gel rubdown minigame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRRE9zA1C5Q

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mad jack why does ire start draining the moment i stop to do literally anything?

i really like the concept of a key-pressing frenzy resource in roguelikes but i'm also really feeling the need to have some time to consider my options when i'm not blowing up everything in a 15-second orgy of obscenities and random violence

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Prospector RL already has "old star trek episode" planets down pat. Rip off the cloning bay from FTL, horrible side effects optional. Broken ringworld shards strewn throughout the systems to show off the unlimited power of the ancients.?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Put Sinistar in it. Sinistar gets his own hunger mechanic.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Unormal posted:

I demand it have a decontamination gel rubdown minigame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRRE9zA1C5Q

I had never even heard of this before, this is hilarious - I never watched Enterprise but I didn't realize it had gotten THAT terrible.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Tollymain posted:

mad jack why does ire start draining the moment i stop to do literally anything?

i really like the concept of a key-pressing frenzy resource in roguelikes but i'm also really feeling the need to have some time to consider my options when i'm not blowing up everything in a 15-second orgy of obscenities and random violence
A fair request. Ire begins to slowly tick down 10 seconds after your last combat event, and immediately goes away if you rest. Since this is a roguelike, which means it is automatically gritty, true, and real, considering your options reduces your temper, as knowing is half the battle and the only winning move is not to play. Or something.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think it'd be okay if it ticked down out of combat to a reasonable floor, like, say, 30% max, with skills rebalanced around the assumption that you probably have at least a little ire.

It wouldn't change much mechanically, but it would massively change the feel of the mechanic, which right now for me is "gently caress that poo poo". There's just something psychological about it that made me play it once and never again.

Fake Edit Worth noting that this once was a long rear end time ago, so if you actually did implement something like that, uh... cool.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

andrew smash posted:

This is a ludicrous request but I always loved EV nova and its multiple mutually exclusive plots that you trigger by blundering into them, so please include something like that.

Make the most restrictive and least fun plot the easiest to bumble into by disguising it as an ordinary trading mission.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah I gotta say, I got that one legendary banjo that builds ire early on so I did an ire build but once I realized it's a thing where your resource drops over time instead of by turns, in a turn based game, I disliked it so much I quit and started a new character. I think there's fundamental about the nature of that mechanic that means only a small amount of people will really be into it in a RL.

Also I wasn't a fan of the big visual effects it has but that's probably just me.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 27, 2016

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

IronicDongz posted:

once I realized it's a thing where your resource drops over time instead of by turns, in a turn based game, I disliked it so much I quit and started a new character.
Self destruction is the ultimate expression of rage. Mission accomplished, Madjack.

SG is the most out there class, and it might be a miss. I'm ok with that. I've always thought that barbarian berserker rage in a roguelike felt a little silly because the fiction is you're just blindly smashing things but the reality is you're measuring the pros and cons of each move. It doesn't mean ALL fast combat feels silly to me, if there were an Ip Mans class where you could school 100 guys at once, turn based would still feel OK because high powered martial artists are supposed to think and process at a rate that feels like time slowing down. Sort of. You know what I mean.

Anyway, I had a beef with the idea that a player could go build Ire against garbage random encounters in an almost-clear dungeon floor, then walk across 10 empty rooms with a belly full of rage to bust it out immediately against the boss. It didn't *feel* like rage to me, but if the class *feels* like hot garbage to most people, who gives a gently caress what I think?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't think it matters much if at all if the "feel" of playing a class matches the fiction of how that class behaves, but I'm not much of one for flavor/'immersion' anyways usually so :shrug:

I think it's fine for ire to drain quickly enough that you can't build it up on trash mobs 10 floors away and then walk it back to the boss, but that could be done with turn-based ire drain as well. If you want it to feel like "blind rage" you could introduce an RNG element-maybe it could be something like the extra shot ranger ability, but melee and more powerful, so whenever you hit a guy you also randomly hit another guy(another 2 guys?) in striking distance. So you're not totally in control(and are better off using the ability when surrounded by dudes aka a risky situation), but since you're controlling the base attack you're not just watching something happen either(add in a "lose ire more quickly for moving instead of attacking while tantruming" so you're incentivized to attack a lot to make the most out of the tantrum).

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 27, 2016

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

I don't think it matters much if at all if the "feel" of playing a class matches the fiction of how that class behaves, but I'm not much of one for flavor/'immersion' anyways usually so :shrug:

I think it's fine for ire to drain quickly enough that you can't build it up on trash mobs 10 floors away and then walk it back to the boss, but that could be done with turn-based ire drain as well. If you want it to feel like "blind rage" you could introduce an RNG element-maybe it could be something like the extra shot ranger ability, but melee and more powerful, so whenever you hit a guy you also randomly hit another guy(another 2 guys?) in striking distance. So you're not totally in control(and are better off using the ability when surrounded by dudes aka a risky situation), but since you're controlling the base attack you're not just watching something happen either(add in a "lose ire more quickly for moving instead of attacking while tantruming" so you're incentivized to attack a lot to make the most out of the tantrum).

Yeah but then it's just like every other melee power. Zzz.

I do like the act of throwing a tantrum, because every power is designed to be push button -> get result, no aiming necessary. And to some degree, it's ok if the class isn't for everybody, not every class should be. But I don't really hear about a lot of builds that focus on SG being a core damage explosion.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Wolpertinger posted:

I had never even heard of this before, this is hilarious - I never watched Enterprise but I didn't realize it had gotten THAT terrible.

Pretty sure that was in the very first episode. After Voyager, then that scene, I just kinda wrote off the franchise for about a decade.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

madjackmcmad posted:

Yeah but then it's just like every other melee power. Zzz.

I do like the act of throwing a tantrum, because every power is designed to be push button -> get result, no aiming necessary. And to some degree, it's ok if the class isn't for everybody, not every class should be. But I don't really hear about a lot of builds that focus on SG being a core damage explosion.

I usually just splash some of their powers in if they feel right for what I'm doing. I don't think I've ever tried to play a character based around Ire before, though.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

madjackmcmad posted:

Yes!

This is great!

No doubt this thread will feature creep you to death if you ask for it. I suggest you allow your PCs to harvest the bodies of defeated space pirates and bolt them to the outside of your ship to prove how cool and tough and strong you are.

Thank you. :v:

Well I'm already feature creeping myself but I figure since I'm making a roguelike taking a "more is more" design philosophy is appropriate. It wouldn't be a proper roguelike without a poo poo load of toys to play with and inadvertently ruin yourself with.

RubberBands Hurt posted:

Colonize every planet with an instance of Dwarf Fortress, but it's 'robots' instead of dorfs

If only I had the time and we had quantum computers. :(

Rutibex posted:

Please design encounters using inspiration from old Star Trek episode away missions.

In response to the references seeing as I'm a huge nerd there will probably be random references to sci fi stuff at some point.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Amazing technicolor hot space babes (and hunks) to romance.

I'll leave that to the inevitable modders who decide that every single thing in the game must be fuckable.

habituallyred posted:

Prospector RL already has "old star trek episode" planets down pat. Rip off the cloning bay from FTL, horrible side effects optional. Broken ringworld shards strewn throughout the systems to show off the unlimited power of the ancients.?

My original plan was to have it be kind of difficult to get crew members to be -10 dead but be so severely injured you have no choice but to lock them in the med bay/freeze them in the cryo tubes for a while. That sort of thing may or may not go in as I work on features. The cloning bay is a maybe but then having imperfect clones that don't have as good of stats is a possibility.

There won't be ringworlds but there will be leftovers. This is an "ancient race left behind lots of poo poo" scenario but rather humanity found an infinite energy source and rode it for a few centuries. Humanity found the universe around them was pretty much empty and just went "well poo poo, now what?" That involved lots and lots of building and development. Then the power source turned off and humanity went "well poo poo, now what?" again and just tried to survive. Ringworlds never cropped up but there are some big space constructs that you can go find. Which leads to...

Floodkiller posted:

The ability to blow someone out an airlock/blow up a section of the ship and have the inhabitants thrown into space.

That sort of thing will definitely be going in to show how dangerous outer space actually is. Part of it is of course finding hazardous leftovers, irradiated planets, and so forth. Yeah a derelict station would be really, really good to loot for parts and toys but if it's decaying it's probably dangerous. Some of the gear is stuff like powered armor that shields you from the environment for a while, assuming it doesn't get too damaged, and places you can't go without proper hardware. The plan is for sufficiently powerful weapons to be a huge danger because they can blast through hulls and expose everybody nearby to hard vacuum. Plus you'd figure that somebody with unlimited energy would create safe spaces in otherwise dangerous places. Maybe the equipment can be turned back on? Maybe it's too damaged. Maybe you found it still working but bandits were living there and the fight damages it. Oops.

No idea how much of that will go in the game in the end but that's definitely in the plans. Yeah you might find a ludicrously powerful rail gun that can punch through anything but sometimes using it is just plain risky.

andrew smash posted:

I'd like to, actually; I have a faction/quest system planned and part of the game is making nice with the neighbors (or, you know, just ignoring them). That's a bit of a pipe dream and is kind of a low priority. May or may not happen.

I'm starting a Kickstarter. Hold me, I'm scared. :ohdear:

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

I want the ability to turn crew into XCOM Enemy Within style MECs or just straight up 40k dreadnaughts.

I also want this in Dungeonmans and all other games.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm starting a Kickstarter. Hold me, I'm scared. :ohdear:
Whooooa, when? Can you let some of us KS veterans take a peek first?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Emong posted:

I want the ability to turn crew into XCOM Enemy Within style MECs or just straight up 40k dreadnaughts.

I also want this in Dungeonmans and all other games.

Yeah I like that too and is something I want to put in. The technology would probably exist in the setting to do that sort of thing the problem would be powering it. That's not "core mechanics" stuff and would probably need to wait. Maybe a later expansion or something.

It's definitely something I want because stomping around in huge robots is awesome.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

madjackmcmad posted:

Whooooa, when? Can you let some of us KS veterans take a peek first?

Double posting because I missed this.

I threw it on the Kickstarter already. Have a link.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/daveycakes/omicron-sector

Even if it fails hideously I'll probably learn some things so hell yes, let's do this!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Even if it fails hideously I'll probably learn some things so hell yes, let's do this!
I'm sorry I haven't replied! I will but I've been balls deep in trying to put together an update for...

:siren: The Steam Animuu Sale :siren:
During which Dungeonmans is 50% off. Opportunistic profiteering, you ask? No. Why? Click!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558729&pagenumber=62#post459265344

Also if you bought the game this week, please go ahead and refund yourself and get it again at the sale price. Or don't refund and instead PM me and I'll give you a dmans key you can trade with someone else for a good game.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Steamsale Lunchtime Goonrogue Shilltime!

Caves of Qud is 10% off: http://store.steampowered.com/app/333640/

Sproggiwood 50%: http://store.steampowered.com/app/311720/

Sproggiwood will be on sale on mobile all week as well, at 50% off. (Though it might take a couple hours for the stores to update)

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Moneys sent, but you might wanna put up some more screenshots or mockups of the interface or combat and stuff like that.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sounds awesome! Good luck!

Apropos of SPAAAAACE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Um97AUqp4

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

madjackmcmad posted:

I'm sorry I haven't replied! I will but I've been balls deep in trying to put together an update for...

:siren: The Steam Animuu Sale :siren:
During which Dungeonmans is 50% off. Opportunistic profiteering, you ask? No. Why? Click!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558729&pagenumber=62#post459265344

Also if you bought the game this week, please go ahead and refund yourself and get it again at the sale price. Or don't refund and instead PM me and I'll give you a dmans key you can trade with someone else for a good game.

Take your time.

If I wasn't so broke I'd buy me some goon Roguelikes. :v:

Mercury_Storm posted:

Moneys sent, but you might wanna put up some more screenshots or mockups of the interface or combat and stuff like that.

Thank you kindly. Just vomited forth an update with a few screens. In retrospect I should have done that before but I was actually holding off on it to get some work done on some other screens. I'm rewriting some of the crew display code (right now everybody has the same head and only wears underwear which...may actually be a feature?) and redoing some crew inventory stuff.

Actually that leads me to another question. One thing I've been thinking on is finding that happy balance between "there are an obscene amount of toys to play with" and "good lord I have to manage 20 inventory slots for each person in my crew?" I think what I'm going to end up doing is going toward fewer slots. There are three "hand" sets where you can have two hands' worth of items. Switching what is ready takes an action when dealing with a fight but I feel like it's a better way than saying "hey have an inventory, keep moving crap around all day." Rather you get some slots and can just click once to switch item sets. On top of that everybody gets a helmet, armor, and a few "accessory" slots. I'm thinking four of those. I'm also debating removing consumables entirely; more like stuff requires power to use or has limited uses per landing. The new X-COM does the latter one; nothing is gone forever except alien grenades before you research them. Or maybe making consumables way more powerful? Hmm...

The other thing I've already (mostly) implemented is a complete removal of individual ammo types for weapons. Everybody just carries "munitions" and each attack consumes a certain amount of it. Rockets will take more than bullets but I hate, hate, hate juggling clips around and am probably not the only one.

Lately I've been trying to come up with ways to make inventory management take less time and be less painful because let's be honest that isn't the fun part.

Do believe I shall be watching that...eventually. Today unlikely.

edit: Oh wait, meant to add pictures. Hurr.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 28, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
One Way Heroics is having a going out of business sale pricing scheme. 75% off. http://store.steampowered.com/app/266210
One Way Heroics Plus DLC that is basically 5X the content. http://store.steampowered.com/app/352840/?snr=1_5_9__405

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Actually that leads me to another question. One thing I've been thinking on is finding that happy balance between "there are an obscene amount of toys to play with" and "good lord I have to manage 20 inventory slots for each person in my crew?"

Party wide inventory with some cost for moving items in and out of it in combat?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The other thing I've already (mostly) implemented is a complete removal of individual ammo types for weapons. Everybody just carries "munitions" and each attack consumes a certain amount of it. Rockets will take more than bullets but I hate, hate, hate juggling clips around and am probably not the only one.

Lately I've been trying to come up with ways to make inventory management take less time and be less painful because let's be honest that isn't the fun part.

Yeah I hate both managing ammo when playing and coding it. Either you end up with kinda pain in the rear end code for dragging and dropping ammo or you have to zip through the inventory all the time looking to see if any valid ammo exists for the weapon which can be bad if you want to have special ammo as someone might accidentally blow through all their super special stuff.

I went with a similar solution for having a currency that all ammo uses and better weapons use more currency. That seems a lot simpler to balance and no need for a lot of art assets for every type of ammo.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Maybe make it so that each of your guys only have the standard equipment slots and the main inventory is shared between all of them. That'd make it a lot easier and could be explained by sci-fi stuffs.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Kind of the way it's being implemented at the moment is that the ship has its own inventory that is basically the main item pool. The dudes don't really carry anything other than what they're equipped with. You get loot in various ways but it doesn't really get "picked up" by the individual crew dudes. Loot goes into the ship's inventory pretty directly.

The plan for that right now (I'm still monkeying with the implementation of loot you get from fights...scavenging functions) is that you just pick up generic "loot" that encumbers dudes but can't be used yet. Then once you finish whatever you were doing (or bug out because you're getting hammered on) it gives you a pile of goodies based on how much "loot" you have.

This, I think, will also be a nice way to prevent things like piles and piles and piles of useless garbage. If you get a lot of "loot points" then it can be weighted to give you a cool thing and a few less cool things instead of like 500 lovely things that you have to sort through.

The other thing is that I have a screen where you go through loot and can click on toggles that just turn things into scrap (or just toss it away) to make it so you don't have 5,000 useless things cluttering up your everything.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 29, 2016

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

thats how dungeon of the endless does it. each hero has their own equip slots and the inventory is general use. also one section of the inventory is permanent while one section gets emptied when you change floors

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Thank you so much for this. You're the best. For reals.

I keep dying.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm not really happy that the necromancer dude I blinked next to did like ~500 damage in one turn and killed me.

Whenever I die in dmans I always feel like it's because something that I couldn't have possibly expected happened, not because I did something wrong.
Like an ice mage who is my level doing 2/3s of my HP in one turn despite me having a 66 ice resist shield with an extra 150 resist from an enchantment on it, plus a ring with even more ice resist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

I'm not really happy that the necromancer dude I blinked next to did like ~500 damage in one turn and killed me.

Whenever I die in dmans I always feel like it's because something that I couldn't have possibly expected happened, not because I did something wrong.
Like an ice mage who is my level doing 2/3s of my HP in one turn despite me having a 66 ice resist shield with an extra 150 resist from an enchantment on it, plus a ring with even more ice resist

If these things have happened since Monday, let's correct them. Do you remember the names of the heroes? We'll do some forensics and I can see where things went wrong.