Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

CaptainRightful posted:

Just get one of those Mission Impossible ceiling harnesses.

There are easier ways to explain why you own a sex swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

*Someone enters your gaming room, sees the sex swing and bondage tape*

"Oh, that's just for my boardgames"

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Part of GMT's Lunchtime Series, Twilight Struggle Red Sea is a two player card driven game that builds on the award winning Twilight Struggle.

The year is 1974, and Soviet Union and United States have been locked in a life or death struggle across the globe. As so often happened during the Cold War, a relatively obscure region of the globe suddenly took center stage. Emperor Haile Selassie I of Ethiopia, a bedrock US ally in Africa, had grown old and increasingly dictatorial. When he was overthrown in 1974, a Marxist coalition took the reins of power. This new revolutionary leadership initiated a chain of events which upset the regional balance of power, and unleashed all the familiar elements of Cold War competition in the Horn of Africa.

With a more limited scope, and much shorter time play, Twilight Struggle Red Sea, is the perfect way to introduce new players to the Twilight Struggle system, while maintaining all the tension, decision making and theme of the original classic. The cards from Twilight Struggle can be used in TS: Red Sea and vice versa.

I mean this does look fun but tiny mobile Madagascar is really getting to me.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Does anyone have any experience with Flying Pigs Games, specifically Armageddon War?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

In preparation for a two week scuba diving trip I clipped the counters for C3i Case Blue

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:barf:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I have some birthday money I need to blow. I want a new game to play solo. What should I get?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

I have some birthday money I need to blow. I want a new game to play solo. What should I get?

Advanced Squad Leader - Croix de Guerre

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

COOL CORN posted:

OCS Tunisia.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

In preparation for a two week scuba diving trip I clipped the counters for C3i Case Blue

butcher!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

For solo I’m currently debating; At any cost Metz, Longstreet attacks, Battle of the bulge: celles, Armageddon War, Enemy action Ardennes

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

For solo I’m currently debating; At any cost Metz, Longstreet attacks, Battle of the bulge: celles, Armageddon War, Enemy action Ardennes

The Metz game is pretty fun. The sides are pretty asymmetric and the initial scenario is a pretty fun can play in an afternoon type.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

wins32767 posted:

The Metz game is pretty fun. The sides are pretty asymmetric and the initial scenario is a pretty fun can play in an afternoon type.

Thank you. That game has been in the list for a while, the beautiful map doesn’t hurt.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Ropes4u posted:

People rave about EA: Ardennes as a solo wargame, but it's hard to reconcile its cost:component quality ratio in TYOOL 2020.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

CaptainRightful posted:

People rave about EA: Ardennes as a solo wargame, but it's hard to reconcile its cost:component quality ratio in TYOOL 2020.

Yeah. I mean I'm happy with it but its hardly three games in one. Its a two player game and it has two different solo modes. Three rulebooks and maps seems excessive still.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I went with CC:Pacific since I enjoy CC:E and am interested in the position theater. Thank you all for coming on this journey with me.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

I went with CC:Pacific since I enjoy CC:E and am interested in the position theater. Thank you all for coming on this journey with me.

Do let us know. CC:E is great imho but I always balk at expanding it for some reason.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Sleekly posted:

Do let us know. CC:E is great imho but I always balk at expanding it for some reason.

Get Stalingrad

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Sleekly posted:

Yeah. I mean I'm happy with it but its hardly three games in one. Its a two player game and it has two different solo modes. Three rulebooks and maps seems excessive still.

Are the components poor quality? Not to be a special snowflake but poor quality cardboard is unacceptable. There is also supposed to be a new version, different theater, coming later this year.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Ropes4u posted:

Are the components poor quality? Not to be a special snowflake but poor quality cardboard is unacceptable. There is also supposed to be a new version, different theater, coming later this year.

Yeah, we were just discussing this the other day in the Discord:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceqTKYF82Eg

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

That guys a bit precious. I wouldn't say its poor quality but its also not like super nice like Unconditional Surrender. I had a little problem with one of the maps. They came packed on the bottom of the box so the folds were super folded and i got a little tear when unfolding them. Its still fine to play on.

That vid makes the counters look bad but they're fine. Some were a bit off centre but nothing you cant work out at a glance.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Sleekly posted:

That guys a bit precious. I wouldn't say its poor quality but its also not like super nice like Unconditional Surrender. I had a little problem with one of the maps. They came packed on the bottom of the box so the folds were super folded and i got a little tear when unfolding them. Its still fine to play on.

That vid makes the counters look bad but they're fine. Some were a bit off centre but nothing you cant work out at a glance.

I'm not sure coutners that are that off-centre are OK.

I think that given Compass prices are generally higher than GMT games with the same number of components, it's annoying that the component quality is like this - slightly misaligned (1mm off stuff) is fine. Stuff where you get significant bleed from the next counter along is not.

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 10, 2020

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Sleekly posted:

So it's "a bit precious" to expect a $150 game to have correctly printed, at least average quality counters and cards, and to not arrive with maps already creased to the point of tearing on second unfold? You sound more cowed than a Splotter fanboy or Biden voter.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

No I just thought he made big deal of it. I got the game after seeing that vid and its really not so bad. I get people expecting more of a deluxe set for the money but I feel I got my moneys worth.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Well, I'm under loving quarantine now, so I just ordered the Starter Kit for World at War '85 from Lock n' Load to kill time and see if it's a Thing I'll like. I've been playing their Tactical series with their Heroes of Normandy module, and really like the speed of it and the battle generator.

It seems to be getting good reviews from the board game dorks, so hopefully this'll give me something to zoom out on a little - and in the modern era!

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 12, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
WAW85 is fun. I have one of the games from the previous iteration of it (Eisenbach Gap I think?). It's definitely on the simpler side, but it's quick and fun. I think the newer version has more bells and whistles.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

COOL CORN posted:

WAW85 is fun. I have one of the games from the previous iteration of it (Eisenbach Gap I think?). It's definitely on the simpler side, but it's quick and fun. I think the newer version has more bells and whistles.

I honestly didn’t enjoy the previous iteration. I’m more looking forwards to CSS Fulda Gap

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

40PERCENTOFF

The sale will last to April 1.

https://www.compassgames.com/

A Las Barricades
Absolute Victory
Balance of Powers
BATTLE HYMN 1
Bar Lev
Bitter Woods
Blitz a World in Conflict
Blood on Ohio
Brezhnevs War
Cargo Express
COLONIALISM
Command and colore Expansion
Command and Colors Tricorne
Empire and Alliances
End of Empire
Enemy Action Ardennes
Europe & Turmoil
Fall Blau Army Group South
Fatal Alliances
Festung Europa
Forgotten Legion
Fornovo
Fortress Europa
Guam Return to Glory
Hearts and Minds
Korea Fire & Ice
Lebensraum
Lion of Judah
Montellimar Anvil of Fate
Nightfighter Ace
Nine Years
On to Paris
Operation Skorpion
Paths to Hell
Prelude to the Rebellon
Pragmatic War
Raiders of the Deep
Red Poppies 2
Red Star White Eagle
Revolution Road
Russia Beseiged
Saipan
Sovereign of the Seas
Stalin War 3
The Fall of Third Reich
The Late Unpleasantness
The War Expansion
TINIAN
Triumph of the Will
VIETNAM
War for the Union
War in the Wind
ZEPPELIN

Paper Wars Magazine with following insert Game

Issue 87 Belmont
Issue 80 Setting Sun Risisng Sun
Isuse 81 Postion Magnifique
Issue 82 I Will Fight No More Forever
Issue 83 Rising Sun Over China
Isuse 84 Finish Civil War
Issue 85 Russia Falling
Issue 86 Nomads No More
Issue 88 Scourge of God
Issue 89 Burning Mountain
Issue 90 MacArthur War
Issue 91 jihad

Thanks for all your support

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Sleekly posted:

The big advantage of EAA is that the solo mode actually pretty much plays the game under some rules similar to your own so you can play against it. It's really good for that, but otherwise, I think most of the money is in the cards, oddly enough.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
oh my god, this just popped up on my timeline

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

COOL CORN posted:

:eyepop:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

:aaaaa:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

COOL CORN posted:

wow if the 'quarantine until mid-spring' rumors are true they may almost get to the halfway stage. That's gonna be a record!

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

COOL CORN posted:

CfNA is such a stupiod emme that should just die. There are perfeclty plaayable and better North African campaign simulations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I need a case-blue/BTR sized OCS game of the CFNA.

CFNA is really good, though. If I had it in Uni and could play it at nights and weekends, that would've been a great time over several years.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Chill la Chill posted:

I need a case-blue/BTR sized OCS game of the CFNA.

CFNA is really good, though. If I had it in Uni and could play it at nights and weekends, that would've been a great time over several years.

Uh... DAK?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

COOL CORN posted:

Uh... DAK?

Are they planning to reprint it?

I say as I still haven't played a game of BTR yet... Smolensk is just so good.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Chill la Chill posted:

Are they planning to reprint it?

I say as I still haven't played a game of BTR yet... Smolensk is just so good.

SCS North Africa is supposed to be DAk lite

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm playing The Dark Sands right now and it's a lot of fun, but it's only a two mapper. I also have The Desert Fox (with Trail of the Fox which makes it monster-sized) and The Legend Begins, but I haven't played through those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I have a lot of time to play 2-player wargames if anyone wants an opponent. I like light to medium games like Twilight Struggle and Colonial Twilight. PM if interested.