Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don't think it's really fair to call Goldeneye mediocre, it's just aged badly, mostly because it's from a time where they had no idea how to do an FPS on console. Wasn't there some weird controller setup you could pick that would allow for moving and shooting at the same time, but it required two controllers?

Yeah, it's important from a historical perspective because while PC FPSes like Quake 2 had way better graphics and controls and online play they were still mostly about grabbing key cards and flipping switches to open doors while Goldeneye had the entire objective system that changed based on difficulty and all the unlocks and customization options for game modes were way ahead of their time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Action Tortoise posted:

I thought the n64 controller was designed so that you could walk with the dpad and aim with the analog stick but no game ever had that setup.

Jet Force Gemini had it (Well, c-buttons instead of D-Pad, but same principle) when you went into aiming mode, but you couldn't set it as the default.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

I thought the n64 controller was designed

Have you ever held a n64 controller in your life?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Xoidanor posted:

Have you ever held a n64 controller in your life?

Whatever you want to say about the N64 controller, you can't say it wasn't designed. There was a master loving plan behind that piece of garbage.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

RyokoTK posted:

Whatever you want to say about the N64 controller, you can't say it wasn't designed. There was a master loving plan behind that piece of garbage.

Same can be said about the OUYA though. Just because you have a plan doesn't mean it'll turn out well. Especially not if your plan's retarded. No further point just wanted to compare it to the OUYA.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I always assumed the n64 controller was designed by a single individual really high up, maybe one of those iconic game devs whose name everyone knows, and no one in the company dared question their logic and immediately put it right into production without any playtesting

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It was basically a refusal to commit. Players had issues with the analog stick in testing, so they wanted to allow the controller to be either pad or stick. Sony handled it by not having a stick at all at the system's release, and only adding one later. Neither company was confident that players would adjust to that kind of 3-D control.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I got Mad Max in the Humble Monthly Bundle and I really really want to like the game, but it's so hard to like it. The combat is nice and meaty, but the camera can be a problem because it doesn't always show people attacking you.

I just want to do the races, but apparently I have to know where the track is going beforehand, and take everyone out along it, otherwise the snipers will shoot my tires out and make the race impossible to finish. My favourite part was when I threw the race after a sniper blew my tires, and opted not to retry in the menu. It didn't take me back to the race staging area, it just left me in the middle of the desert, with no car, next to the sniper's nest. Sorry for not being prescient, I guess.

I went to a camp, and ran out of sniper ammo before I could take out all the snipers. There was only one left, on the other side of the camp, so I cleared the camp of enemies and went to go take out the sniper tower on foot. As soon as I left the camp, the flamethrower started back up, and I spent 15 minutes after destroying the tower trying to figure out how to get back into the camp. No shotgun ammo, so I couldn't shoot the gas tank. No access to the gas tank itself, and using the flares just had Chumbucket try to drive the car through the camp (which he couldn't do because of the flamethrower). gently caress this game.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Finally saw most of the content in Witcher 3. What was the point of putting a loot system in there? If you have a single set of Witcher gear nothing you pick up for the rest of the game will be useful. Aside from maybe the ingredients to make potions, but those are only needed once. Oh and maybe alcohol to refill them later.

If anyone hasn't played it yet, try to set a personal rule to avoid the Witcher equipment so you can enjoy getting new weapons and armor sometimes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, it's important from a historical perspective because while PC FPSes like Quake 2 had way better graphics and controls and online play they were still mostly about grabbing key cards and flipping switches to open doors while Goldeneye had the entire objective system that changed based on difficulty and all the unlocks and customization options for game modes were way ahead of their time.

Yeah, this is the thing that drives me to actually wish I could buy Goldeneye on modern platforms, the historical value of it. Sure, it was also a good game that may not have aged well, but the most crucial thing if you ask me is that it was the first console-minded FPS. Rough as it might have been, it's a hugely important part in gaming history that we just can't legally buy for anything modern.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Gaming history is meaningless and stupid. There are games that are fun to play, there are games that WERE fun to play, and there are bad games.

Our hobby has no broad cultural relevance.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Gaming history is meaningless and stupid. There are games that are fun to play, there are games that WERE fun to play, and there are bad games.

According to the ESA 155 million americans play video games, but I agree that is not broad cultural relevance

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

But how is game classified? Candy crush on your phone? I need some hard numbers before making one of trademark cutting and funny posts.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Action Tortoise posted:

I thought the n64 controller was designed so that you could walk with the dpad and aim with the analog stick but no game ever had that setup.

I'm not sure anybody including Nintendo employees really knew what the gently caress the n64 controller was designed for

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Ammanas posted:

our highest grossing films for the last few years involve grown men in brightly colored costumes punching each other. our best selling books for the past few years are bdsm fanfiction derived from a story about a woman romanced by a vampire and a werewolf.

the bar has never been lower for games to start having cultural relevance.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
And yet they still can't reach that bar even. But I'm happy with that. When they try they just miss the mark and poo poo the bed super hard.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is cultural relevance just 'man I remember when I'd play that game, that was fun' or something? I'm not even sure what that means here.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Video games are culturally relevant, just not in the way that gamers want them to be. But it's kind of naive to claim that they aren't.

e: Unless "cultural relevance" is referring to the goddamn Video Games Are Art argument again, in which case just gently caress off.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ArtIsResistance posted:

I'm not sure anybody including Nintendo employees really knew what the gently caress the n64 controller was designed for

Hunting in the Australian outback.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

Control type 1.3 for Goldeneye - Solitaire had you use the C-buttons to move forward, back and strafe, while the analog stick was turn left and right and aim up and down, it was awesome and the closest thing you could get to Kb+m control on a console at the time. Why it wasn't the default I'll never know, it's not like you're ever not wanting to move as quickly as possible.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RyokoTK posted:

Video games are culturally relevant, just not in the way that gamers want them to be. But it's kind of naive to claim that they aren't.

e: Unless "cultural relevance" is referring to the goddamn Video Games Are Art argument again, in which case just gently caress off.

I wasn't even talking about cultural relevance or artistic value or anything. I'm talking from the point of view of an entirely internal historical context.

Goldeneye isn't one of the colossal ones, it's not a Mario or anything like that, but it's still a genre-definer. The first successful console-designed FPS, and one of the first ones in general (if not the first; I don't know how it lines up with stuff like System Shock on the PC side) with an objective focus and more of a story rather than an end point with some obstacles. Sure, it may not have done that especially well compared to later games, but it was the first one that tried, and it did fairly well. If you were trying to get those same sorts of internally relevant games in modern formats, Goldeneye's perhaps the biggest roadblock, being only legally obtainable on Nintendo 64, which over time is only getting harder to maintain usability of.

I don't know for sure, but there's probably similar stories in film; movies relevant to the development of movies that are lost to time. I know television has a lot of those sorts of gaps, including the first Superbowl and a chunk of the black and white era of Doctor Who. Goldeneye could be in a far worse position, since at least it is actually playable on modern platforms, just not legally. But it's a lovely gap to have.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The promo material back then made it very clear that you were supposed to use either the d-pad or the stick along with the buttons and hold either the left or the middle handle. (Or left-and-middle but barely any games used the d-pad and stick setup.) Like, that info came with the very first pictures of the controller. You were never supposed to be able to use all of the controls at once. This LOL THREEHANDS thing is stupid and only works from a contemporary perspective where in most games the d-pad does only serve as additional buttons. Goddamn kids :argh:

Then again I also didn't think anyone could assume the Wii U was anything but an entirely new console.

quote:

art
I read an interesting book on the aesthetics of video games the other day (in the Very Serious philosophical sense of aesthetics) where that topic came up. The argument was basically that there's no reason video games couldn't be art, that no form of media can be said to automatically be art (but all of them have the potential), and that whether or not you could say a game was art was independent of whether it was a good video game. Seemed perfectly straightforward to me. One example was Tetris. Fantastic as a game, hardly art. Bioshock and Planescape Torment were named as examples of artistic value.

e: this is also not the same as cultural or subcultural relevance.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone who gets caught in this argument on either side has missed the point of post-modernism.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RyokoTK posted:

agreed. it's a dumb thing to argue about and this thread ain't the place for that discussion. i just wanna bitch about bad things in games.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Picked up NHL 16 on the PS4. It's not bad, but it seems like EA keep messing up simple things with each release.

Previous games allowed you to create your own team. Thats gone. You can still make your own team but it requires you to gut and replace everyone in an existing team, which is annoying and cumbersome.
Also all the menus are just awful. Everything you might want to check on your teams season or management options are hidden behind needless extra menus and a stupid "hold R2 and select another menu release R2" control scheme.
The game also keeps defaulting to "skill stick" control scheme, which is actually pretty nice, but I prefer "hybrid", and having to set it back the way i want it at the start of each game is annoying.

Also the game downloaded in 8 hours for no reason at all, and proceeded to take another 9 hours to install, because the PS4 is loving retarded sometimes.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

Anyone who gets caught in this argument on either side has missed the point of post-modernism.

I don't think more than a very small portion of humanity will ever get the point of post-modernism. It is a lost cause to try to get the general public to understand it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

being only legally obtainable on Nintendo 64, which over time is only getting harder to maintain usability of.

That's something else about the N64 controller- the way the analog stick is designed causes a lot of friction damage so the lifespan on the controllers is insanely bad. Especially when you consider games like Mario Party that have modes that are basically "gently caress your controller!"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Woolie Wool posted:

I don't think more than a very small portion of humanity will ever get the point of post-modernism. It is a lost cause to try to get the general public to understand it.

That may have been true once, but The Simpsons explained it very well; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0DwRAVJZ4A

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Xoidanor posted:

That it is terrible?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

My Lovely Horse posted:

The promo material back then made it very clear that you were supposed to use either the d-pad or the stick along with the buttons and hold either the left or the middle handle. (Or left-and-middle but barely any games used the d-pad and stick setup.) Like, that info came with the very first pictures of the controller. You were never supposed to be able to use all of the controls at once. This LOL THREEHANDS thing is stupid and only works from a contemporary perspective where in most games the d-pad does only serve as additional buttons. Goddamn kids :argh:

Everyone knows that and that's exactly what they're making fun of. You can't hold the controller in a way that gives you access to all the buttons. That's silly as poo poo even if the promotional materials made it clear that they know humans do not actually have three hands.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Just because it was done on purpose doesn't mean it wasn't a stupid decision.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Especially when you consider games like Mario Party that have modes that are basically "gently caress your controller!"

And your hand!

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Veotax posted:

And your hand!

Yeah Nintendo. I can gently caress my hand perfectly well on my own, thank you very much.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

They were not satisfied with just ruining your thumb.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Veotax posted:

And your hand!

I remember getting the yearly catalog from Nintendo Power back when Mario party 1 was out, and seeing a glove to prevent the ol' Mario Party Stigmata.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

I remember getting the yearly catalog from Nintendo Power back when Mario party 1 was out, and seeing a glove to prevent the ol' Mario Party Stigmata.

I never got that glove. Ended up getting a big gross blister right in the middle of my palm.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

The night maps in Dynasty Warriors 7/XL/Empires are too dark. I have to use the minimap to see where I'm going. It serves no purpose for it to be THAT dark. It's not for atmosphere and it does not conceal enemies. It's a good thing for maps to have several different weather or lighting conditions but like I say it just doesn't need to that dark. The PS2 games had night maps and that didn't stop you from seeing where you were going.

ScreamingNinja
Oct 2, 2004
An Awesome Dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

got Mad Max for ps4 a while back for cheap, decided to try it out today and found out the controls were apparently designed by someone who had never played a videogame in their life??? Now that may sound like an exaggaration but let me tell you this: shoot is mapped to the O button by default. The O button. What in the gently caress.

Granted, you CAN change it to "alternative controls", so shoot moves to r1. Uh, but wait, isn't the usual shoot button for literally every other ps4 game the loving trigger, r2? It sure is. It sure as hell is, god damnit. I can not get over this.

e: also jump is l2. cool.

smuh has a new favorite as of 13:26 on Apr 30, 2016