Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Look at the store page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I also subscribed to IGN for a month to get Endless Legend + Freddy, free Marvel hero is a bonus. A pretty good deal.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also seriously more people should be playing Alien: Isolation. Nobody talks about it here at all which I guess means nobody risked buying it and the game is solid. The Alien AI is specifically interesting later in the game where it can actually surprise you.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Palpek posted:

Also seriously more people should be playing Alien: Isolation. Nobody talks about it here at all which I guess means nobody risked buying it and the game is solid. The Alien AI is specifically interesting later in the game where it can actually surprise you.

I can't play scary games anymore...

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

They gave the AI some sweet tweaks, for example if you really piss the Xeno off it will start ripping off every single storage room door it sees whether it senses you hiding behind it or not. It will start checking under tables a lot if that's your usual hiding spot etc.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I really wanna play that game but it and Shadows of Mordor have fallen victim to my plan to buy a PS4 for Bloodborne but not be limited to that and The Last of Us.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I really wanna play that game but it and Shadows of Mordor have fallen victim to my plan to buy a PS4 for Bloodborne but not be limited to that and The Last of Us.

Just get it later. You're not missing out on anything by playing it later vs. playing it now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's the idea. Get a PS4, preferably bundled with Bloodborne, and then pick up these cool games I'm ignoring now on sale to avoid being stuck with a $400 doorstop after beating Bloodborne.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Palpek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo9-5saTFKc

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's worth mentioning that the Xeno hears your motion detector. You also have to hold your breath and lean your head back when it's checking out the lockers you're hiding in or this will happen:

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I don't know if I want to play Alien now :ohdear:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
You can't intentionally bash your head into the locker while hiding inside it. Also there's no swimsuit posters on the inside. What a terrible game.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Palpek posted:

They gave the AI some sweet tweaks, for example if you really piss the Xeno off it will start ripping off every single storage room door it sees whether it senses you hiding behind it or not. It will start checking under tables a lot if that's your usual hiding spot etc.

I'm still curious as to how you piss it off enough to make it do this. Also how does it start checking tables? Does it just start doing it or do you need to be spotted and somehow get away?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Alien is really, really good but totally uncompromising in its design. It ain't no babby game.

I don't really know where else to post about this, but I've been trying to play Deadly Premonition as of late, but the framerate is completely buggered. I've got DPfix installed and poo poo and I've tried going straight vanilla, but the framerate is still hosed. Basically what happens is it'll start up running smooth at 60fps, then it'll hitch and eventually drop to 30fps and never go back up, then eventually it drops to 20fps and never goes back up. Googling around and looking at the steam forums just has a bunch of people going "restart your pc! it'll fix it!" but that does nothing. I'd be happy with 30fps, I'm not too fussed, but 20fps with the hitching and poo poo is pretty loving awful. I just want it to run better than the 360 version.

Anyone know how to fix this poo poo? I've tried increasing the process priority and screwing around with how many cores the game uses. Curiously, the game defaults to 1 core, but if I tell it to use 4 it still runs like poo poo.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

cat doter posted:

Anyone know how to fix this poo poo? I've tried increasing the process priority and screwing around with how many cores the game uses. Curiously, the game defaults to 1 core, but if I tell it to use 4 it still runs like poo poo.

Try toggling vsync and AA. I had problems with both of those if I recall correctly.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I just turned on Steam to find out that all the categories I set are loving gone. Any way to undo this, or do I really have to sort over 200 games into some semblance of order, all over again?

I'm legitimately mad, that should not happen.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mindblast posted:

I'm still curious as to how you piss it off enough to make it do this. Also how does it start checking tables? Does it just start doing it or do you need to be spotted and somehow get away?
Apparently flamethrowing it a lot pisses it off big time. The table spotting starts happening when you hide under the tables a lot instead of hiding in the lockers. I don't think the Xeno has to actually see you there.

Also I had a situation where I was in the locker, the Xeno 'sniffed it' a bit, turned around and start walking away only to loving turn around again and kill me. I probably produced some small sound or something.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

I just turned on Steam to find out that all the categories I set are loving gone. Any way to undo this, or do I really have to sort over 200 games into some semblance of order, all over again?

It's a pain in the rear end, and I don't think there's a way to get them back. But make sure in the future that you exit steam properly so it doesn't wipe them out.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Oh yay, finally a reason to buy Don't Starve.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Breadallelogram posted:

It's a pain in the rear end, and I don't think there's a way to get them back. But make sure in the future that you exit steam properly so it doesn't wipe them out.

There was an automatic reset for my computer, so it's not like I had much of a choice in the matter.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Justin_Brett posted:

There was an automatic reset for my computer, so it's not like I had much of a choice in the matter.
Try restarting Steam in offline mode, then if the categories reappear go online. Closing Steam properly should send them to cloud again. This might also not work.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

Yeah, it sucks. Try this to make the job easier: https://github.com/rallion/depressurizer

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Justin_Brett posted:

GameSave Manager can save and make a backup of your Steam categories. As well as most of your save games.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Palpek posted:

Try restarting Steam in offline mode, then if the categories reappear go online. Closing Steam properly should send them to cloud again. This might also not work.

Oh, going offline actually worked, thanks.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Eruonen posted:

Try toggling vsync and AA. I had problems with both of those if I recall correctly.

This is super weird, but I ran radeonpro while the game was running, and whenever I hit the toggle v-sync button the frame rate shoots back up. It continues to fall gradually, but still, it's strange behaviour.

I also had some GPU stats going and apparently the game is using 100% of my GPU at about 800MHz (I have the internal rendering resolution set to 3840x2160), but for some reason the GPU's clock keeps falling, which is what I assume is the reason why the game is running like poo poo. As the frame rate falls I saw my GPU falling down to 600MHz. The core temp was like 15C degrees under its throttling temp too. I started to think something was wrong with my computer, so I loaded up Crysis 3 only to find it was running at 60fps at max, falling to 45 in large areas.

So there's nothing wrong with my system, but my video card is behaving very strangely while playing Deadly Premonition. I wonder why.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

cat doter posted:

So there's nothing wrong with my system, but my video card is behaving very strangely while playing Deadly Premonition. I wonder why.

It's an incredibly badly coded game. A real shame.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Speaking of categories, can you delete ones you don't want anymore? Or rename existing ones, I didn't look very hard into it but there didn't seem to be an option for either of these things.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Palpek posted:

Awww, look at that big doofy grin. He's so happy to have found you. :3:

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Speaking of categories, can you delete ones you don't want anymore? Or rename existing ones, I didn't look very hard into it but there didn't seem to be an option for either of these things.

Not exactly, but you can ctrl- and shift-click games on the list to select multiples now, so it's easy to move all the games in one category to another.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

cat doter posted:

I wonder why.

Also the difficulties with playing the game are to root out the non-believers not motivated enough to get through it.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Palpek posted:

Also the difficulties with playing the game are to root out the non-believers not motivated enough to get through it.

Nah, for those folks this is the place to send 'em.

Hell, you should watch that if you've already played the game anyway.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Indeed. The LP is great even if you played DP before because supergreatfriend integrates his weird persona into the game so seamlessly it'll make you wonder if it's just an act :haw:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

lordfrikk posted:

Indeed. The LP is great even if you played DP before because supergreatfriend integrates his weird persona into the game so seamlessly it'll make you wonder if it's just an act :haw:

DUMPSTER. :3:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I didn't get to play any spoooooooooky games last night on account of spending 3 hours at a pumpkin patch with a gaggle of 2-year-olds. However, it's a slow day at work and there are some terribly Halloweeny games that I'm not going to get around to playing. So in advance of whatever autumn sale Gaben has in store, let's do a...

:spooky: The 31 Days Many Games of October BONUS ROUND :spooky:

A. Painkiller: Black Edition

This right here is about the Halloweeniest shooter you're going to get this side of KISS Psycho Circus. It's a Serious Sam-style FPS with the look and feel of Quake, except with more colors and cooler weapons. The levels are super varied and interesting, sending you through an opera house, a hellish version of Venice, a snowy mountaintop outpost, and one of the coolest renditions of actual hell ever. You also get demon superpowers and collectable Tarot cards that give you new abilities. The monsters are crazy and the shooting is amazing. Oh, and the story is hilariously dumb but neat because it changes depending on the difficulty you play on. Black Edition also comes with the expansion, Battle out of Hell, which has more interesting levels but isn't quite as fun as the original. Pick this up if you don't have it... and forget anything else with the Painkiller name exists. Seriously.

B. The Void

If you want something unique, atmospheric, and creepy, this should be right up your alley. The Void casts you as a lost soul lost in limbo, struggling to avoid final death. To do that you must grow color, the lifeblood of the world beyond. It plays like a first-person adventure game, with some exploration and combat, but much of the emphasis is on tending your gardens of color and dealing with the odd denizens of the void. It's the NPCs that make this game, because they are both very unique characters and VERY creepy presences. This is not a game where you follow quest markers and fill up a bar to win the game. Everyone in the void has an agenda and wants you to help them, sometimes to your mutual benefit, oftentimes not. You won't get a good ending the first time you play (unless you cheat and use a walkthru), but that's part of the allure, unraveling the mystery and deceptions. Definitely set aside some time for this one.

C. Shadowgrounds

I'm going to hit on the sequel, Shadowgrounds: Survivor, later on in my roundup (spoiler: it's not as good) but I can't let this little gem go unmentioned. Shadowgrounds is an isometric action shooter that has you as a hapless maintenance man on a colony world where things go completely to hell. It's you versus hordes of aliens as you try to fight your way off-world through darkened bases and crashed ships. The atmosphere definitely borrows from both Alien and DOOM in places, with quiet spells and sudden ambushes punctuated by frantic shootouts with horrible monsters. You get a wide range of weapons as well, and can find scrap throughout the levels to upgrade them with new abilities (not just more damage!). It's a no-frills game with a serviceable story that you'll blow through in a few hours, but I guarantee it'll be a fun ride.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

drat, it seems like way more things have been on sale lately. There's 17 pages of it today! I used to just skim them all at work but now I just glance through my wishlist.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Reminder that the bigass free game weekend thing is happening, which includes big discounts on DLC for them like XCOM: Enemy Within, Don't Starve: Reign of Giants, and all the Payday 2 stuff except the Hotline Miami one that just came out.

Also, the original Payday is yours forever for free if you click the green button today.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Zombie Samurai posted:

Reminder that the bigass free game weekend thing is happening, which includes big discounts on DLC for them like XCOM: Enemy Within, Don't Starve: Reign of Giants, and all the Payday 2 stuff except the Hotline Miami one that just came out.

Also, the original Payday is yours forever for free if you click the green button today.

Is the DLC for Dont' Starve a "necessary" one? I snagged it some months ago but, stupid me, never went and played it. I'll install it now, but how worth it is the DLC to grab, impulsively?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Yay, free cards :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Morter posted:

Is the DLC for Dont' Starve a "necessary" one? I snagged it some months ago but, stupid me, never went and played it. I'll install it now, but how worth it is the DLC to grab, impulsively?

Well, it adds seasons, a lot of new monsters and other things. It's probably worth it for a cup of coffee..

Also don't forget that Don't Starve Together - Multiplayer free update from the devs is coming out soon so it'll be worth to have more content if you ever plan on doing multiplayer.

• Locked thread