Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Just because I'm in physical therapy and can't swing a club doesn't mean I can't do golf stuff:

My first club assembly. Honma TW-x 5-11 irons (have the 3 and 4 as well but no shafts rn). AMT Black s300 soft stepped once. Wedges are CBX Full Face 2 with DG Spinner 115's. This is a poor man's MOI balanced set.

And my current bag, I plan on running a half set until I get down to below 90 minimum, but probably below 80.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I'll never get tired of Honma 10 and 11 irons, I love it.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

So, the consistency is coming. Just need to sort out the bloody distance. 7iron for reference.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

contemplating my golf swing with weed takes me to some interesting places.

I've been trying to swing with my body instead of arms and I've been thinking that my swing should be me just trying to make the club head go in a nice circle around my body. Don't worry about the ball at all. If however the ball should be in the path of travel, then its its own fault.

This is basically me now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa_k9cGMqOM&t=30s

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I've never seen a pro completely whiff a chip like Knapp just did on 18.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Also Matsuyama from the water; holy moley. :staredog:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I went and done did it again fellas. Late night shopping got me.

Cobra Forge Tec irons I saw on a golf site had a pretty discrete "enter this code for a discount on cobra" stuff and when I went to the cart and applied it, sure enough the price got knocked down by $420 ish which was pretty huge, and also a funny weed number so I took it as a sign.

Hope I like em.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 9, 2024

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Anyone got any good resources on 50-100 yard shots? I've finally got my ball striking to a good place, my >50 yd short game is ok, but last season I was losing a lot of strokes leaving my short approach shots too short. I have 60, 56, and 52 degree wedges, the 52 is a 105 yard club full swing, but I struggle when I try to take some off, either end up sliding under and going like 25 yards or blading it over the green. Just got no feel for those distances.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Plank Walker posted:

Anyone got any good resources on 50-100 yard shots? I've finally got my ball striking to a good place, my >50 yd short game is ok, but last season I was losing a lot of strokes leaving my short approach shots too short. I have 60, 56, and 52 degree wedges, the 52 is a 105 yard club full swing, but I struggle when I try to take some off, either end up sliding under and going like 25 yards or blading it over the green. Just got no feel for those distances.

What kind of wedges are you using and what kind of irons are you using?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Plank Walker posted:

Read Dave Pelz book on the short game, I found it useful

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Plank Walker posted:

50-100 yards is a tough spot for me as well. Too long to reliably chip. Too short for a full swing with my approach wedge. The sand wedge is a tricky club for "full" swings.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

GEMorris posted:

What kind of wedges are you using and what kind of irons are you using?

Callaway Mavrik irons, down to AW which is 46 degree, Kirkland 52/56/60 degree wedge set. Full swing on the 56 goes 50-75 yards on the range, but on a real lie, it's even more variance.

Wondering if my issue on 3/4-1/2 swings is not knowing what to do with my weight shifts? On a chip/pitch I just leave my weight on my front foot, and a full swing I have more time to do a proper weight shift, but I'm lost on what to do in between and can't dial in any consistent distance, usually erring on too short.

Range time hasn't helped since I only have access to mats and those are too forgiving compared to actual conditions.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Isn't that the sort of range where you need to rely less on body force and more on letting the club be a pendulum and use its own weight to get the distance?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Plank Walker posted:

The TLDR on any of this is going to come to down to just a shitload of practice. Hitting hundreds of 100% / 75% / 50% / 25% shots with all of your wedges with the ball in different positions in your stance until you get a good feel for what they all do just takes time.

What worked the best for me specifically, and like all other golf advice this isn't a one-size-fits-all solution, was just picking a wedge and committing to using it for every shot inside of X distance. For me that's my 60* and 85y.

I know exactly what distance / trajectory / spin rate that club is going to go with every different length of backswing and ball position. Need to hit a 75y shot over a tree or a 50y shot that never gets higher than 20' off the ground? Same club, but one is a 90% swing with the ball in the middle of my stance and a full finish, the other is a 50% swing with the ball off my back foot and an extra cut off finish.

The other generic advice I have for all wedge shots that may or may not be obvious is to not try to slow your swing down. A 50% swing just means taking the club back half of what a full takeaway is, not trying to swing it at 50% of the speed you normally would. You need the same amount of acceleration and speed through the ball to get the spin you need to make the ball stop.

This is also something that is much quicker to dial in if you have access to a good launch monitor and can get all of the carry/height/spin numbers for all of these shot variations quickly and accurately. You can do it on the range, but you need a bunch of targets with known distances and you're still not going to get a good feel for the spin you're putting on the ball unless you're also hitting onto real green surfaces (which if you have that at your driving range I'm very jealous!).

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Not sure if this is helpful but my approach has been to practice a swing where I only take my swing back until my left arm is parallel with the ground, but otherwise I mostly swing as normal. Then I drilled this and have a yardage for this "9 o clock" swing on my shortest 5 or 6 clubs.

I don't think that's necessarily the best approach for consistency, what I think is more common is for pros to develop a smoother pitching swing where they keep their feet much closer together or something like that.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
It’s a combination of both of those, really.

I guarantee you every professional golfer has written down somewhere (or memorized) the carry distance for every club in their bag at whatever their full swing is and their 9 o’clock swing (50%), plus probably at least the two points half way between those two and 0 (75% and 25%), if not a bunch more.

The distance between the feet thing is more of a function of the length and type of shot you’re trying to hit. For an actual chip shot (something close to the green that isn’t getting very high off the ground), virtually everyone is going to have their feet basically touching and most of your weight on your front foot.

For a pitch (something longer that you may want to get up in the air either a little or a lot) you’re going to adjust the distance between your feet for the shot you’re trying to hit. Anything you’re hitting low you’re going to want to play back in your stance and move your feet close together. Anything you want to get up in the air has to be closer to the middle of your stance and you’ll naturally need some width between your feet to pull that off.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

BCRock posted:

It’s a combination of both of those, really.

I guarantee you every professional golfer has written down somewhere (or memorized) the carry distance for every club in their bag at whatever their full swing is and their 9 o’clock swing (50%), plus probably at least the two points half way between those two and 0 (75% and 25%), if not a bunch more.

The distance between the feet thing is more of a function of the length and type of shot you’re trying to hit. For an actual chip shot (something close to the green that isn’t getting very high off the ground), virtually everyone is going to have their feet basically touching and most of your weight on your front foot.

For a pitch (something longer that you may want to get up in the air either a little or a lot) you’re going to adjust the distance between your feet for the shot you’re trying to hit. Anything you’re hitting low you’re going to want to play back in your stance and move your feet close together. Anything you want to get up in the air has to be closer to the middle of your stance and you’ll naturally need some width between your feet to pull that off.

This is great to know, thanks!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

My most recent golf adventure;

Final hole. I actually hit a good drive, just in the left rough, but miles down the course. There's a 150m marker about 1Om ahead, on line with my preferred shot to the green. I think you know where this is going. I rip 3 hybrid into it on the basis that given my banana shots, the post being directly on line is probably the safest it could be. I take the shot. Naturally I thunder it into the post perfectly square. It bounces back 20m behind me. Hmmm. I take the second shot and chunk it so it lands 2m to the right of the post. The next shot makes it left of the green. 63 through 9 holes. Golf.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 10, 2024

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Plank Walker posted:

Callaway Mavrik irons, down to AW which is 46 degree, Kirkland 52/56/60 degree wedge set. Full swing on the 56 goes 50-75 yards on the range, but on a real lie, it's even more variance.

First off I'm not good at golf, I just consume a ton of info.

Second, I find 3/4 swings to be one of the most difficult things, 1/2 and 1/4 are relatively easy.

Third, you are using GI (or maybe between GI and players distance) irons and Bladed wedges along with an 8° loft gap between your pw and your gw. I'd suggest finding an opportunity to test out some cavity back wedges like the cleveland CBX line, as I think they will help your contact consistency significantly. I'd also would just run a 50 and a 56°

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

I went and done did it again fellas. Late night shopping got me.

Cobra Forge Tec irons I saw on a golf site had a pretty discrete "enter this code for a discount on cobra" stuff and when I went to the cart and applied it, sure enough the price got knocked down by $420 ish which was pretty huge, and also a funny weed number so I took it as a sign.

Hope I like em.

Oooh you went with the Forge Tec vs the Forge Tec X? I hope you like them, i love my Forge Tec X's, I'm just awful at golf.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

iNteg posted:

Ugh, so i've been getting lessons from a PGA Pro, and while he has given me one or two good tools, we just don't gel. I'm finding myself unable to put what he's telling me into practice, and i can't understand what he's trying to convey. So i have a lesson, it doesn't translate, and then i gently caress myself up trying to fit myself into a mold that i can't fit into, and then mentally i just implode and have an awful loving time golfing.

I went from making good contact, and being a little right on my golf shots, to a wicked loving slice or blocking all my shots from my 7i down through my driver, and it's absolutely maddening. I paid for 5 lessons and after 3 i think i'm just gonna cut my losses and find someone I can work with that helps me really understand my shot, how it should feel, what drills will work for me. etc. etc. because i leave every lesson not having any clue what the hell is going on, and it's loving with me something fierce, and i spend my entire next time playing on the sim or at the range or on the course pissed and angry that i don't get it. I was at the range yesterday (thank you 71 degrees in michigan) and i watched a driver shot travel just block so hard right it went like 8 bays+ right. If it was a dogleg right I would be absolute money every time with a shot like this.

On the sim it's absolutely like 2500+ rpm of side spin, and my path is showing to be sightly out to in, instead of the in to out i want. i *think* im not squaring my face at impact, and because i'm going out to in slightly, it's making contact at the right point, and then rolling hard off the face slightly to cause that loving path. I don't see it with my short irons because my swing plane feels steeper. either way, i'm having a bad time and i needed to vent, I bought a tripod yesterday, and I'm gonna try to snag some video of my swing to see if i notice anything that i'm not consciously doing. Everyone including the PGA pro said my take away was great, and my back swing was right where it needed to be, so it's gonna be my arms/wrist or body in the downswing (aka my entire swing lol) and i hope i can see what i'm doing and adjust.
You could try Skillest as well. I was seeing a local person and wasn't really getting anything out of it, but have done a few online lessons with this guy for instance, https://skillest.com/app/profile/daniel-carraher, and I feel like he really caught a couple things that my local pro didn't. Probably my local pro sucks though. I was rolling the club inside early, like most ams do, so how do you miss that? But I was also not rotating well generally, and he explained how the lack of hand depth contributed to that.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Turns out completely re-building your swing isn’t easy.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

RCarr posted:

All it took for me was to build a budget indoor sim in my garage along with a garage heater, one lesson a month for every month, and the dedication to swing a club in the garage 5 days a week in the winter.

I'm now hitting a slight draw instead of a slice, but haven't been able to bring it on the course yet because it's cold in New England.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

RCarr posted:

Down to 11 handicap, "hey, my swing sucks I should rebuild it." -> up to 18 handcap.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

xsf421 posted:

Down to 11 handicap, "hey, my swing sucks I should rebuild it." -> up to 18 handcap.

This sums up golf... It's just as bad on the equipment side. "Do I buy clubs appropriate for my garbage swing, or for the swing I want, or wait until I have the swing I want?"

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Someday I will buy a hybrid but until then I'm just gonna carry this 5 wood around in my bag and never hit it. Idk something about the weight or lack thereof of a hybrid makes me hit them poorly whenever I try

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Plank Walker posted:

Someday I will buy a hybrid but until then I'm just gonna carry this 5 wood around in my bag and never hit it. Idk something about the weight or lack thereof of a hybrid makes me hit them poorly whenever I try

What makes you not use your 5 wood?

In general, if you're not going to get fit, at least buy something with adjustable loft and adjustable weights so you can try multiple options. For example: No manufacturer is going to ship a hybrid at like D5 but if that's what's comfortable for you then you're gonna need lead tape or swapping out weights to get there.

Same goes for shortening clubs (Driver is a big one). Sure people can be a ton more accurate at 44-44.5", but if they don't have adjustable weight heads they are gonna have a hell of a time getting their swing weight back up to appropriate levels after lopping off 1.25-1.75" of shaft.

Edit: it should go without saying but in case it doesn't: OEM price gouging on club weights is obscene. Buy knock offs from ebay.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 11, 2024

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Plank Walker posted:

I once went to test out some clubs to try to find a club to fill a yardage gap between my 4 iron and my 3 wood. Tried some 5 woods and they were fine, but then tried a hybrid and the guy who was helping me took it away from me after like 2 swings and said "No. You have a wood swing, you're way off balance with the hybrid, you don't hit hybrids."

Then he dialed me into a 5 wood that i was hitting perfectly but was like 200 dollars out of my price range so I left empty handed :saddowns:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Rogue Elephant posted:

I once went to test out some clubs to try to find a club to fill a yardage gap between my 4 iron and my 3 wood. Tried some 5 woods and they were fine, but then tried a hybrid and the guy who was helping me took it away from me after like 2 swings and said "No. You have a wood swing, you're way off balance with the hybrid, you don't hit hybrids."

Then he dialed me into a 5 wood that i was hitting perfectly but was like 200 dollars out of my price range so I left empty handed :saddowns:

Look it up on a reputable purveyor of used golf gear, or the prior year model from the same company.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Mederlock posted:

Look it up on a reputable purveyor of used golf gear, or the prior year model from the same company.

This. You wrote the shaft name down, right?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

iNteg posted:

Oooh you went with the Forge Tec vs the Forge Tec X? I hope you like them, i love my Forge Tec X's, I'm just awful at golf.

I too, am awful at golf! Especially anything longer than a 9 iron!

So the forge tecs arrived.

Old and busted

New Hotness

Lazy man weighing (standing on the scale while holding all the clubs) shows that the forge tecs weigh about the same as my old ones, despite graphite shafts on the olds vs steel on the forge tecs.

I had a chance to take them down to the driving range and... wow. I'm not sure if its just that my swing was good (or perhaps more accurately - recovered) from how utterly awful I was last time I actually played on a course but the forge tecs felt good and cooperative from the first swing. Nice obvious gapping between most clubs and pretty effortless ball height. I guess even in the case of irons; 20 years of tech does make a bit of a difference. Shot distance was pretty darn consistent unless I absolutely flubbed it. A bit of lateral spread in the shots (of course) but I FEEL like I can understand why a given shot ends up where it does and can work on that. I've never been good enough to deliberately shape an iron shot, but I feel like with these irons I might actually be able to get there.

Pretty much the only iffy one was the 4 iron. Not that it was bad, it was just relatively difficult to use. I may be somewhat biased though because by apparent coincidence I seemed to "get" my 4 hybrid and whip that around in a way I never have before so the 4 hybrid will stay in the bag, and the 4 iron will go under my bed for burglars for now.

I bought these as a birthday present to myself and so far the look, feel and results are all positive. Looking forward to actually taking them on course in the next few days and shattering my confidence when I banana everything. Happy birthday to meeeee. :toot:

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’m really struggling with 40 yard shots, I know it’s a 75% 58 degree, for the distance. But gently caress me it goes 45 degrees right from where I want it to go. Just diagonal, no curve.

Tried a virtual 9 hole last night, and was really struggling with those chips.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

GEMorris posted:

What makes you not use your 5 wood?

I can hit the 5 wood on the range, vs a hybrid which I have never made solid contact with. On the course, I'm still way more consistent with my longest iron (5 iron) than the 5 wood, and I play pretty short muni courses, so I don't really have much need for a 205 yard 5 wood, when I can have a much better chance of staying in play with a 185 yard 5 iron.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
This sport kills me. Yesterday I was practicing in the garage and it was beautiful draws. This morning I went to hit 10 balls before work and you would think I never hit a seven iron before. Low and left, low and right, just awful.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

I too, am awful at golf! Especially anything longer than a 9 iron!

So the forge tecs arrived.

Lazy man weighing (standing on the scale while holding all the clubs) shows that the forge tecs weigh about the same as my old ones, despite graphite shafts on the olds vs steel on the forge tecs.

I had a chance to take them down to the driving range and... wow. I'm not sure if its just that my swing was good (or perhaps more accurately - recovered) from how utterly awful I was last time I actually played on a course but the forge tecs felt good and cooperative from the first swing. Nice obvious gapping between most clubs and pretty effortless ball height. I guess even in the case of irons; 20 years of tech does make a bit of a difference. Shot distance was pretty darn consistent unless I absolutely flubbed it. A bit of lateral spread in the shots (of course) but I FEEL like I can understand why a given shot ends up where it does and can work on that. I've never been good enough to deliberately shape an iron shot, but I feel like with these irons I might actually be able to get there.

Pretty much the only iffy one was the 4 iron. Not that it was bad, it was just relatively difficult to use. I may be somewhat biased though because by apparent coincidence I seemed to "get" my 4 hybrid and whip that around in a way I never have before so the 4 hybrid will stay in the bag, and the 4 iron will go under my bed for burglars for now.

I bought these as a birthday present to myself and so far the look, feel and results are all positive. Looking forward to actually taking them on course in the next few days and shattering my confidence when I banana everything. Happy birthday to meeeee. :toot:

Congrats! I love the look of them, I was playing with older Nike VRS x hand me downs initially, and i hated how they felt so when I was testing these and the other cobra clubs last year they were *chef's kiss* of everything i tried.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Oodles posted:

I’m really struggling with 40 yard shots, I know it’s a 75% 58 degree, for the distance. But gently caress me it goes 45 degrees right from where I want it to go. Just diagonal, no curve.

Tried a virtual 9 hole last night, and was really struggling with those chips.

Clubbing up and taking a half or quarter swing (depending on the club) is what I do and it’s much easier.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

daslog posted:

This sport kills me. Yesterday I was practicing in the garage and it was beautiful draws. This morning I went to hit 10 balls before work and you would think I never hit a seven iron before. Low and left, low and right, just awful.

i shot pretty good in my league at marco simone's ryder cup course on sunday, my hdcp is like an 11 right now, im not a good golfer. yesterday we were playing ahead because my league partner was going out of town and i think i triple'd out on 6 of the 9 holes and bogeyed the rest. I'm coming back solo to re-do my round it was so bad. gently caress this game. I'm dealing with a wicked slice or block shot because i haven't been squaring my face well, or my swing path is slightly out to in so it's rolling right off the club face... i'm also struggling with a case of trying to crush the ball and just chopping into the loving thing with my arms. like RCarr said, rebuilding a swing fuckin sucks.

(and i'm seriously constantly thinking about how much i want to play more all the loving time. whoops)

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I’m a 13 handicap that regularly shoots mid 50s on my 9 hole winter indoor league. For some reason I really struggle on their mats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xsf421 posted:

I’m a 13 handicap that regularly shoots mid 50s on my 9 hole winter indoor league. For some reason I really struggle on their mats.

I shot a 50 last week and i felt so good. some birdie juice loosened my body up, and i think i just started mentally swinging how i should because my mind was empty and i went up and just hit the ball, set myself up for success, and went for it, and i just played my game. my 180-200 yard drive that sliced right into a good recovery shot and up and down for bogey and it was just fine.

I got to try the putter i bought from mattfl as well, and holy hell it really is night and day from the KS-1. a 15 foot putt with the KS-1 felt like i had to put a little more on it, i barely tap the scotty and bam: immediate feedback, and it just kinda flies off the face, in a way im not used to yet. I 3-putted from 8 feet, i need more putting practice (but i love the putter, i just need to spend more time with it)